Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Two groups at same college

Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
If I send a second group of kids to college:

1) if I put them in a different house, will they age up separately than the first group?

2) can I kick out local sims who filled the extra form rooms and love my younger kids in or will that mess up relationships?

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Sims don't age in TS2 unless you are playing them, even at dorms. Yes, you can put all your Sims into one dorm and not have any of the Maxis premades, they are not deleted like in TS4 but wind up in the family bin in the University town. They stay there until you move them in somewhere else, but they can be called and invited back over.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    So since the second group will be behind, I assume the first group will graduate and move out leaving the second group behind.
  • Options
    Also, I had locals move in to the spare rooms of the dorm with the first group. Is there a way for my second group to take their rooms?
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,837 Member
    edited November 2017
    When you say locals, do you mean dormies?
    When you choose a dorm to move more of your playables into, you will get a pop-up that tells you to give the dormies a few minutes to pack their stuff and get out (I can't remember exactly how it's worded). The number dormies moving out will equal the number of playables you are moving in and the ones moving out will be random so you will need to watch for which doors become available. Snag those doors before more dormies show up! :D
    Dormies are not permanent members of the household. You can move up to 8 playable Sims into a household regardless of dormies taking the rooms after your first go around. You can still maintain relationships with them, they just "move" somewhere else.
    Your previous Sims will still be at whatever year they were when you moved the new ones in. The oldest Sims will eventually graduate first and when they do, shortly after more dormies will hold their rooms until you move another set of playables in.
    Think of the dormies as placeholders that you can interact with. ;)

Apartment townie residents are the same if you want to move other Sims into apartment building after you have already placed a family (up to 4 sublots).

*Okay, I hope I've edited enough that it's understandable. :p
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    cercatcercat Posts: 69 Member
    The first group will graduate and leave before the second, if you have already played the first group.
    When you move the second group in, the locals will automatically be moved out. You will get a message when you move the 2nd group in about the locals being relocated. You don't have to do anything special.
  • Options
    You both answered my questions perfectly! Thank you so much. Looking forward to the younger siblings moving into the dorm the weekend!
  • Options
    I responded quickly last night via my phone while watching TV. Yes when I said "locals" I meant "dormies". So it sounds like it will work just the way I want - the older kids graduating before their younger siblings.

I have played through the freshman year with the first group. What I do then is play 1 day with each of my families. That way, by the time the first group graduates, the parents are seniors within a day or so. So it keeps everyone aging up mostly together.

With five older siblings in college and three more coming, I'll be managing eight kids at once. But at least they will be getting their education! I just got the first group through freshman year and they got their extra wants/fears. I had totally forgotten that!
  • Options
    I used to play that way. I would send a younger sibling to the same dorm about the time the older sibling was a junior etc. It's a lot of fun to send younger siblings and friends to be at the same dorm as their older siblings sometimes. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I used to play that way. I would send a younger sibling to the same dorm about the time the older sibling was a junior etc. It's a lot of fun to send younger siblings and friends to be at the same dorm as their older siblings sometimes. :)

Yeah. My favorite college play always had people assigned to dorms or housing with their older sibs. :)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of University Life. Maybe it's my age but I just want them to get through it so they get more Wants/Fears and good paying careers. So being able to play so many at once kind of pushes that along quicker. I almost feel sorry for my college sims as they don't have a lot of fun. It's studying, skill raising, eating, sleeping and MAYBE finding a mate. *cracks the whip* I've never played siblings of different ages in University like that so I was delighted to find out I could! I have a few days off work and I'll be able to get those younger siblings into the dorm today most likely.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of University Life. Maybe it's my age but I just want them to get through it so they get more Wants/Fears and good paying careers. So being able to play so many at once kind of pushes that along quicker. I almost feel sorry for my college sims as they don't have a lot of fun. It's studying, skill raising, eating, sleeping and MAYBE finding a mate. *cracks the whip* I've never played siblings of different ages in University like that so I was delighted to find out I could! I have a few days off work and I'll be able to get those younger siblings into the dorm today most likely.

Get other Sims to do their assignments while they go party like many do in real life. :p You don't ever have to write a term paper unless you miss class and or don't do an assignment. My Sims always tell others to do their work, lol, it was a lot of fun but I haven't played Uni in years since I just recently returned to TS2 for good.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Oh yeah! I had forgotten about that! *creates an evil plan* and I’m just returning after nearly 10 years. So many things I have forgotten!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    There's a "glitch" that you can take advantage of with writing the term paper:
    Influence a Sim to write it for you. Keep an eye on the progress and when it gets to about 75%, start your own term paper. It finishes the term paper quickly and gives you double the points. ;)
    You should only need to go to the Final and receive an A+.

I have all my Uni hoods set to Fall. All my Sims need to do is a term paper and an assignment (if I didn't do the double points). The Final is the only class they go to. They spend the rest of the time skilling, badge building, making friends and finding a mate.

Oh, and if you take snapdragon bouquets with you, life is a breeze.
  • Options
    Good suggestion Anmirla. I thought I would give it a try with one of my sims in the dorm. He used all of his 2500 influence points to get the one and only local dormie living there to do his term paper. The guy never did it! I waited two days and then had my sim start his paper and it was at 0% completion. I thought I had tried it once before but wasn't sure. This time I paid attention.

Working with 8 sims at the same time, it's hard to KEEP them from going to class. *laughs* I will work at this better next generation. I also have a florist who has almost enough skill to make/sell snapdragon bouquets so that will help the next generation as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Influence only lasts for a matter of hours. If the dormie didn't start on it right away, he wasn't gonna do it.
    Did he have immediate access to a computer? I've made the mistake of influencing, then not accounting for the fact that the computers were in my playable Sims' locked rooms and the mascot was playing on the only one left in the study area. DOH! :s

Yeah, you really gotta watch them carefully to keep them from running off. Keeping Greek House members from visiting campus when you have plans for them is just as bad. :D
  • Options
    Anmirla wrote: »
    Did he have immediate access to a computer? I've made the mistake of influencing, then not accounting for the fact that the computers were in my playable Sims' locked rooms and the mascot was playing on the only one left in the study area. DOH! :s

That was it. I "liberated" the common computers as I was setting up my Sims' rooms. They are all behind locked doors. We'll just let that dormie do the homework from now on. I've started having my Sims do their term papers immediately after getting back from doing their finals. That way they can pretty much do whatever the rest of the semester.