Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Player-assigned tasks need more weight than Sim assigned-tasks.

Comments

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    WOW! OP posts a legitimate observation on the borked AI in this game and is attacked within minutes. Unbelievable. @DeservedCriticism I applaud you for sticking around this forum and putting up with the ignorance certain people are constantly throwing at you. I hope you know a lot of people do enjoy your posts and discussions.

Same here.

I have been enjoying seeing your analysis and constructive criticism posts as well, @DeservedCriticism . :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2017
    WOW! OP posts a legitimate observation on the borked AI in this game and is attacked within minutes. Unbelievable. @DeservedCriticism I applaud you for sticking around this forum and putting up with the ignorance certain people are constantly throwing at you. I hope you know a lot of people do enjoy your posts and discussions.
    So your precious TS3 can do no wrong and it has to be TS4 that is being picked on here? I can say that sims didn't listen to you in TS3 either so that doesn't hold up that this is the only game they feel isn't player controlled.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So your precious TS3 can do no wrong and it has to be TS4 that is being picked on here?
    Sims 3 is done, and some simmers do acknowledge its flaws.

Sims 4 is the current game, so we can provide feedback on it.

Sims 4 just has A LOT to live up to as a continuation of the sims series. (The OP was talking about all of the previous Sims games, not just Sims 3, anyway.)

Sims 4 shouldn't be let off scot free because past games were flawed (all video games are flawed) or that it's "different".

For me, Sims 4 fails is the only sims game that truly fails* at the Sims part of it with its inconsistent/lackluster Sims AI--which is the point of the sims series for me. Sims should be reacting, and I should have control like I did the past 3 games, all the way back to Sims 1.

*ETA: Yes, Sims in Sims 3 were not always that engaging for me and maybe for other simmer as well, but at least they had proper reaction AI and consistent traits and wishes/goals.

ETA2: I do understand your feelings that it does feel at times Sims 4 is being picked on at times while Sims 3 is revered as the Best Sims Game EVAH, etc, but we should still acknowledge Sims 4's flaws and issues for some simmers. There is valid criticism for this game and her should be respected as well.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,551 Member
    some of you needs to smell the coffee we are no longer in the sims1 sims2 sims3 era we are now in the era of sims4 diffrent storys diffrent game play what do you find constructive in this review have you ever tough if there is a sims5 it would be like sims4 this means you would have to rely on dlc gamepack and and stuffpack in sims4 sims are more intelligent so what if they prioritize a certain task even if all the needs are green if the sims is thirsty its normal if they went a glass of water i clearly do not see anything wrong with this, so what if the sims need to put there book down to use the bathroom no sims game is perfect if you find the older sims games better then why did you bother to move on to the sims4 then No players plays the same or everyone comupter is the same so if you have a problem maxing out your sim skill then just use the testing true cheat and max out your sims skills with this cheat that would solved your problems.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    So your precious TS3 can do no wrong and it has to be TS4 that is being picked on here?

Sims 4 just has A LOT to live up to as a continuation of the sims series. (The OP was talking about all of the previous Sims games, not just Sims 3, anyway.)

Sims 4 shouldn't be let off scot free because past games were flawed (all video games are flawed) or that it's "different".

For me, Sims 4 fails is the only sims game that truly fails* at the Sims part of it with its inconsistent/lackluster Sims AI--which is the point of the sims series for me. Sims should be reacting, and I should have control like I did the past 3 games, all the way back to Sims 1.

*ETA: Yes, Sims in Sims 3 were not always that engaging for me and maybe for other simmer as well, but at least they had proper reaction AI and consistent traits and wishes/goals.
    I agree they should react to things different but in a way I am kind of glad they don't I always hated they reacted to much in TS3. But everyone on the forums plays different and everyone has a different way of looking at things so what you and what @DeservedCriticism and others think of as flaws in the game most of us don't think there is anything wrong. If I had to control all 8 sims that lived in a house I would go crazy so I am glad they all do different things without me controlling them and telling them every second what to do. Maybe I don't notice things because I have mods to fix what you call annoying. My sims live their lives they have drama lives and drama I don't control. But I don't find the game lackluster or even inconsistent because of the fact that I wasn't expecting TS4 to be like past games.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I agree they should react to things different but in a way I am kind of glad they don't I always hated they reacted to much in TS3. But everyone on the forums plays different and everyone has a different way of looking at things so what you and what @DeservedCriticism and others think of as flaws in the game most of us don't think there is anything wrong. If I had to control all 8 sims that lived in a house I would go crazy so I am glad they all do different things without me controlling them and telling them every second what to do. Maybe I don't notice things because I have mods to fix what you call annoying. My sims live their lives they have drama lives and drama I don't control. But I don't find the game lackluster or even inconsistent because of the fact that I wasn't expecting TS4 to be like past games.
    Oh, I think you may be misunderstanding.

I don't mind if they do stuff on their own.

The problem is that they CANCEL MY own orders! Me, the player! That didn't happen in the past older games. I like that feeling of control, and Sims 1/2 and even 3 gave me that.

And, I think Sims should still be able to react or at least NOTICE stuff around them. Otherwise, why am I playing with a simulation game? It should be simulated. I might as well be playing with dead dolls, lol!
    (She/her)
  • Options

The problem is that they CANCEL MY own orders! Me, the player! That didn't happen in the past older games. I like that feeling of control, and Sims 1/2 and even 3 gave me that.

And, I think Sims should still be able to react or at least NOTICE stuff around them. Otherwise, why am I playing with a simulation game? It should be simulated. I might as well be playing with dead dolls, lol!
    No I get they cancel what you tell them to do but I had that problem in past games they never did what I wanted them to me as the player. The only thing I would love is if sims would react to the furniture you gave them like in TS2 I found it hilarious if you had low end furniture in the house in TS2 they would dislike it with a shrug of dislike or clap because they loved what you added. :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @DeservedCriticism and to all the people bothered by it :
    From what I saw in the game files, they are taking into account whether an interaction is user-based or not and whether it should be overriden or not by another interactions, so it seems to me the system is definitely there. Thus if you have any situations where it's not doing what you'd like it to do, odds are it's something that is specific to these situations, and I'd suggest you give more details about them : what your Sims were doing, which interaction did they autonomously switched to, how were their needs, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

No I get they cancel what you tell them to do but I had that problem in past games they never did what I wanted them to me as the player. The only thing I would love is if sims would react to the furniture you gave them like in TS2 I found it hilarious if you had low end furniture in the house in TS2 they would dislike it with a shrug of dislike or clap because they loved what you added. :D
    Lol, yes, I missed that, too. :lol:

Oh, I didn't have much problems in the past games as I did with this one. Maybe I got unlucky with bugs. (I've been getting a lot of bugs in Sims 4 recently.)

When I first played sims 4, none of my sims responded to a baby crying and screaming in the same room. That's how nonreactive my own Sims 4 can be a lot of the time, and that kind of thing makes me rage-quit with Sims 4 a lot in the beginning of sims 4's lifespan (along with my sims occasionally glitching and staying in a never ending cycle of tasks and ignoring every single command of mine).

I even had Vampire sims ignoring my commands to go under the shade or to go inside, despite them burning up in the sun, lol!

So, yeah, that kind of stuff makes me frustrated and doesn't give me a good impression of the sims 4 sims AI at all...
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    From what I saw in the game files, they are taking into account whether an interaction is user-based or not and whether it should be overriden or not by another interactions, so it seems to me the system is definitely there. Thus if you have any situations where it's not doing what you'd like it to do, odds are it's something that is specific to these situations, and I'd suggest you give more details about them : what your Sims were doing, which interaction did they autonomously switched to, how were their needs, etc.

Ooh, @Neia ! Does the files show what types of actions the Sims prefer over player commands? Or are the Sims attracted to specific actions more than others?
    (She/her)
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    edited June 2017
    So your precious TS3 can do no wrong and it has to be TS4 that is being picked on here? I can say that sims didn't listen to you in TS3 either so that doesn't hold up that this is the only game they feel isn't player controlled.

Dude get a grip, I didn't even bring up TS3 in my post nor have I ever said that it's perfect. Like what the heck are you even responding to right now lol. People like you are not worth engaging with whatsoever. You said yourself a couple of posts back you feel the need to go into posts and defend TS4. For what? Where is that getting you? Nobody made you a martyr. So go ahead and continue throwing your inane comments my way if you enjoy one sided conversation :)

P.S. 99% of us who still play TS3 know there are a lot of problems that were never fixed. Difference is, TS3 is out of development. There's nothing we can do now except mod it. TS4 still has a chance to be fixed. Sorry not sorry that someone shared a way that could possibly happen and that bothers you lol
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

Ooh, @Neia ! Does the files show what types of actions the Sims prefer over player commands? Or are the Sims attracted to specific actions more than others?

It's a bit more complicated than that. Basically, interactions can be inertial (can be overriden by autonomy) or guaranted (can't be overriden by autonomy) and have conditions to switch between those states which can be different for autonomous interactions and user-based ones. So you can tune the "read" interaction to run for that much time when autonomous, and for as long as the book isn't finished when it's user-based for example. That's the basic version, there are other options and autonomy is complex, so I may have missed things, but from the look of it, and from what you are all describing, perhaps some conditions need to be fine tuned a bit better and it looks to me like they have the tools to do so. At least, I'd say it's worth the try ;)

SimGuruMax talked about it in the Tech Talk thread here : http://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/comment/12816759/#Comment_12816759
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2017
    TS3 is now irrelevant, because it is no more supported and no more will it be update. With TS4, devs can still do something about it. What was in the past stayed past, but TS4 is still getting updates and what not. Even if it was bad, how about sharing us a stories on what you experenced with this issue? As far we see, comparing it to this iteraton wasn't that far worse unlike this current game.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    TS3 is now irrelevant, because it is no more supported and no more will it be update. With TS4, devs can still do something about it. What was in the past stayed past, but TS4 is still getting updates and what not. Even if it was bad, how about sharing us a stories on what you experenced with this issue? As far we see, comparing it to this iteraton wasn't that far worse unlike this current game.
    Its not irrelevant I was saying past games in the series did the same thing like cancel what I asked my sim to do. So how is comparing the entire series to TS4 irrelevant? If I have problems I don't notice them because I have mods to control the gameplay. The only real problem I have is sims still walking through walls furniture and stairs that are in their way in no way does that look realistic but its actually amusing. :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Adding to what @Neia said, I'm thinking back to what I remember (from playing) about interactions that are almost never disturbed by autonomy. Those are the "Practice X" interactions, like Practice Writing, Practice Singing, etc. If started autonomously, they can be exited autonomously, but if started by the player, they will only exit on a special condition like "motives near fail" (e.g. one or more Needs being extremely low).

It sounds like what some of you are asking for, is for most interactions to operate like the "Practice X" interactions.

But I think the reason it's not done this way is just a difference in design style. If one is accustomed to micromanaging, then having player control nearly always override autonomy is probably the ideal.

But if you imagine a more looseweave way of playing, where the player and autonomy are sort of both operating part of the "machinery" of their sims.... I think having most interactions be like "Practice X" could make autonomy feel very stilted. As in, you give a sim one command and now it's suddenly like they've lost their free will, until you go and cancel it, or it times out. In some scenarios this might be ok, like going to the bathroom (and I don't think I've often seen a command like that interrupted anyway). But if you get into interactions that have the potential to last a while, you're looking at scenarios where you tell your sim to do something and even though (for example) work is two hours away and their fun is full, but they need to eat, they still keep reading that book because it's what you commanded them to do. And you're trying to manage 4 other sims, all of whom are being just as stupid.

Granted, there are scenarios like this anyway, where sims waste time. But I'm not so sure it's a fundamental design problem, so much as it is a problem, like Neia is getting at, of particular scenarios having issues.

If I were to reach for what might be a fundamental design component that holds the system back (or rather, lack of one) is that it may be missing what I'm going to call "Short-Term Vision." I'm not sure if it has anything like this or not, but the general idea in terms of comparing to reality is that human beings often plan ahead a little bit in the moment. Or they have a set routine that they follow during a particular time of day. So in the prepping for work scenario, for instance, a sim who wants to be ready for work in term and is like us humans might sense that they need to stack certain actions. They might queue up three or four actions; bathroom, shower, grab some cereal. They wouldn't necessarily be queue items, but would be higher priorities (for instance, in the existing system, they might rank higher in Desire in the lead-up to work if they're a responsible sim). Or they might have a system that ranks getting each of their Needs over a certain threshold as a priority.

Mind you, I'm not saying that's how TS4 needs to be or that it should be designed in the manner I described. I'm just trying to explain what the concept is in my head. I think that kind of prediction/planning is probably a whole other level of AI, especially when you take into account needing to design it in such a way that sims will have different priorities.

I mean, there's probably bits of the concept in the system already. But I think the series should continue to aim for making sims smarter, is my overarching point. Rather than prioritize player actions more. I think giving the player a more flexible experience would be found in more detailed autonomy controls.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited June 2017

Yeah no lol. I don't doubt you and not saying you're lying, but that same coding clearly isn't doing it's job. It's not 1-2 exceptions, it's many exceptions to the point the coding may as well not exist. People have named several exceptions here (reading books, dollhouse's new "play with," wash hands or drink water, Dream Big on Basketball, social interactions in general, toddlers forcing interactions, getting drinks, just to name a few), so at this point I would definitely say the staff needs to review that same coding to ensure it's working, because it's quite clear it doesn't work in many, many cases.

I mean I would assume this would be a general rule that affects all actions equally. There's no reason for them to assign priority to playing piano but not for reading books for example. Of course they'd want to apply priority to ALL player actions universally. The fact that so many slip through the cracks implies something must seriously be wrong with this coding, and if I had to guess, multitasking is probably at least partially responsible.

I mean it when I say that I think Sims 4 has the worst AI of the franchise, and it's really both amazing and pathetic that this is even possible. Sims 1 had Sim brains exploding if they tried to use a door the same time as someone else, but everything else functioned as you'd expect. Sims 4 often has us fighting our Sims for control. The most logical conclusion, to me, is that this multitasking system of Sims 4 is responsible, because it doesn't make sense that Sims 4 suddenly has abysmal AI when the past three all delivered better AI without hiccups like this one. I would question if, for example, the actions listed are falsely processed as being actions that can be multitasked (aka the game thinks you can multitask working out on a machine and playing basketball as an example someone mentioned), and then when it attempts to multitask these, then that results in canceling the first one. I'm not sure, it's just a theory, but it's very clear that some other system must be fighting this one, and it's winning.

EDIT: Cool, seems like your link in your second post more or less supports my theory. Poor tuning and categorizing of certain actions may be the culprit causing some actions to falsely register as multitasking-capable, which leads to premature cancellation.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited June 2017
    Yeah no lol. I don't doubt you and not saying you're lying, but that same coding clearly isn't doing it's job. It's not 1-2 exceptions, it's many exceptions to the point the coding may as well not exist. People have named several exceptions here (reading books, dollhouse's new "play with," wash hands or drink water, Dream Big on Basketball, social interactions in general, toddlers forcing interactions, getting drinks, just to name a few), so at this point I would definitely say the staff needs to review that same coding to ensure it's working, because it's quite clear it doesn't work in many, many cases.

I mean I would assume this would be a general rule that affects all actions equally. There's no reason for them to assign priority to playing piano but not for reading books for example. Of course they'd want to apply priority to ALL player actions universally. The fact that so many slip through the cracks implies something must seriously be wrong with this coding, and if I had to guess, multitasking is probably at least partially responsible.

I mean it when I say that I think Sims 4 has the worst AI of the franchise, and it's really both amazing and pathetic that this is even possible. Sims 1 had Sim brains exploding if they tried to use a door the same time as someone else, but everything else functioned as you'd expect. Sims 4 often has us fighting our Sims for control. The most logical conclusion, to me, is that this multitasking system of Sims 4 is responsible, because it doesn't make sense that Sims 4 suddenly has abysmal AI when the past three all delivered better AI without hiccups like this one. I would question if, for example, the actions listed are falsely processed as being actions that can be multitasked (aka the game thinks you can multitask working out on a machine and playing basketball as an example someone mentioned), and then when it attempts to multitask these, then that results in canceling the first one. I'm not sure, it's just a theory, but it's very clear that some other system must be fighting this one, and it's winning.

EDIT: Cool, seems like your link in your second post more or less supports my theory. Poor tuning and categorizing of certain actions may be the culprit causing some actions to falsely register as multitasking-capable, which leads to premature cancellation.
    I'm pretty sure most of the examples you listed are unintended and I have to raise an eyebrow at your phrasing "many, many cases." The majority of autonomy isn't causing problems.

I think some of them are separate issues, too.

Dream Big: Not sure what's going on there, but it's not just the autonomous urge to use it. There's some kind of pathing or posture weirdness that can happen as well. I had it a couple times where my sim was sitting on the couch, tried to do dream big, did some kind of flip water animation like they were swimming and then resurfaced. EDIT: I looked into this one tonight for the sheer heck of it and submitted a fix to MTS for the thing where Active Trait sims get their exercise canceled out from Dream Big. Not sure when it'll get through the queue, but yay and stuff.

Toddlers forcing interactions: I'm guessing this is an unintended consequence of trying to ensure that caregivers don't ignore their toddlers and watch them get taken away. I guess it got overtuned somehow, in some cases.

Drink water: I'm guessing part of the problem here is that thirst is an actual "motive." It's just hidden and doesn't decay as fast as other needs, or have as much weight in autonomy. So it could be what's happening is people are ending up with sims who have low thirst, but they obviously can't see the need to tell that their sim is in need of water and they just keep canceling out the going for water. It could also be that Maxis heard feedback on people being weirded about thirst not being a "real" need and overtuned things a bit somewhere along the line, as I don't remember the going for water thing being a problem early in TS4's history.

Wash hands: Possibly something to do with the weight of it being too high, comparative to how little hygiene it fills.

Social interactions: I have gotten annoyed by this one a lot in the past, but to play devil's advocate with myself, human beings are social creatures and most of them tend to find each other and socialize when they're in enclosed spaces. The issue here seems to be with how it works, rather than the frequency itself. For example, the inevitable annoyance in a large house where one sim paths halfway across the house to socialize with another sim, only to have one of them cancel out by the time they get there. Or they get there just to wave hi and then go do other things. I'm not sure I'd categorize this as a problem with autonomy exactly... I think it's more a logistical problem to do with time and pathfinding.
    Post edited by Triplis on
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Thank you, @Neia and @Triplis , for the info and analysis. :smile: Very interesting, and it's hopeful that the devs do have the tools to adjust the tuning on these things.

What about autonomous reactions? Is that maybe a moodlet tuning, or certain objects take priority perhaps? The reactions are a bit better nowadays, but before my sims would constantly play on the computer (or troll the internet) and ignore the crying babies. I wonder if the computer is one of those things that the sims are programmed to be attracted to, and/or to stay on for long periods of time (or just do multiple times)?

Also, breaking dollhouses and checking on toddlers a lot pre-Parenthood. Could these be adjusted in tuning as well?

I don't have any mods right now, but I plan to get one that adjusts the happy-happy emotional items/environment effects a bit.

What mods are you using, @pepperjax1230 and maybe @Neia , if any? :smile: Maybe a few mods could help a bit.

I would love this game so much more if it wasn't for the obnoxious AI stuff. I was never annoyed with Sims AI before this specific sims game, so it must be a drastic design change/adjustment or something.

It does help to learn how some things are programmed and designed, though. :smile: Thanks.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited June 2017
    There are only a few specific instances where, at least in my games, my commands have been completely ignored or cancelled out and replaced by a sim's autonomous action:

1) The high chairs with toddlers
    2) Reading books. To be specific, it's actually not that my actions are canceled, it's that they end the task too quickly. This is most notable if they are near a TV. If I have them in a room with not much else but a bookshelf and a chair they tend to stay put and read.
    3) Talking to a sim where they decide to go all the way across the street and ignore my input until they've finished that. This doesn't happen a lot, but it has happened and it's very annoying when it does.
    4) Need failure / Go to Work

Outside of these very specific instances, there isn't any overriding of player commands, at least in my games.Yes there are a lot of annoying things they do autonomously/obsessively but as far as actually overriding and replacing my commands, it happens only in the instances I've noted above.
  • Options
    lopithecuslopithecus Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited June 2017

Okay, I'm not trying to start an arguement here but let me just say, that in my original post, I mentioned that I liked The Sims 4 better than The Sims 3. Not everyone that complains about things that go on in The Sims 4 hates the game and prefers The Sims 3. Trust me, I have a lot of things that I could complain about The Sims 3 (and yes, this includes Sims cancelling actions but this didn't happen as often because I would play on low freewill.)

Now, with that being said, just because I like The Sims 4 more than The Sims 3, doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain about some things. I understand that some players have different play styles but that still doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain about things that bother me in my play style.

I'll say it again. I don't care if my sims go off and do what they want. In fact, I want them to do that if I don't have anything for them to do or if one of their needs are in the red. But when I assign them to do something, I do not want them cancelling my action unless one of their needs are in red.

This only got worse when toddlers were introduced. Everytime I turn around, my sims are cancelling player assigned tasks to either "put down" a toddler they aren't even holding or they are going to "check on" them. It's annoying when they are trying to do this at ever second and then when you try to cancel the action, they go and do it anyway or get half way there and then stop. It's a waste of time.
    k55mmxl
    "The one you confide in the most. The one who understands you best. The one you'll miss more than any other. When he dies..." - Batman/Superman 018
    SuperBat ruined my life!<3
  • Options
    lopithecuslopithecus Posts: 1,735 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I've switched recently from playing single or at the most two sim families to larger ones with children. Today I decided to let a large family run around autonomously mostly because I was in the mood to watch them but then the micromanaging monkey on my back got the better of me when one of the kids was near red. She needed to sleep and the parents were not helping with the monster under the bed... and it was like 330 in the morning. Anyway, I tried to queue them up to help but they weren't doing what I told them too and they were canceling out the action. Then it just wasn't showing up(the action). So I switched back to playing full autonomy but autonomy off for the selected (played) sim. It really does make a difference especially for those players that need to micromanage more.
    By the way I'm not saying there isn't a problem at all. It's just that there are game tools that you can use that make your household work better depending on your play style. (Like if you have to micromanage). I actually thought playing this way meant all the sims in the household would just stand there but they don't they remain autonomous otherwise. Even the sim with autonomy off will interact with others if the autonomous sims queue it up, they just aren't calling their own shots. Normally though the one I'm playing is the one I'm performing needed actions on to get their needs up or do something that they have to do before work ect.. then I might queue up another action before switching to another family member.
    This particular game fault in general never bothered me very much before, I rarely noticed it. However I think it was because I played such small sim households prior to trying out the Parenthood pack.

Okay, I did this recently and it did seem to help some. I definitely felt like I had a bit more control over what they were doing. Hopefully it sticks. :)
    k55mmxl
    "The one you confide in the most. The one who understands you best. The one you'll miss more than any other. When he dies..." - Batman/Superman 018
    SuperBat ruined my life!<3
  • Options
    Thank you, @Neia and @Triplis , for the info and analysis. :smile: Very interesting, and it's hopeful that the devs do have the tools to adjust the tuning on these things.

What about autonomous reactions? Is that maybe a moodlet tuning, or certain objects take priority perhaps? The reactions are a bit better nowadays, but before my sims would constantly play on the computer (or troll the internet) and ignore the crying babies. I wonder if the computer is one of those things that the sims are programmed to be attracted to, and/or to stay on for long periods of time (or just do multiple times)?

Also, breaking dollhouses and checking on toddlers a lot pre-Parenthood. Could these be adjusted in tuning as well?

I don't have any mods right now, but I plan to get one that adjusts the happy-happy emotional items/environment effects a bit.

What mods are you using, @pepperjax1230 and maybe @Neia , if any? :smile: Maybe a few mods could help a bit.

I would love this game so much more if it wasn't for the obnoxious AI stuff. I was never annoyed with Sims AI before this specific sims game, so it must be a drastic design change/adjustment or something.

It does help to learn how some things are programmed and designed, though. :smile: Thanks.
    I use MC Command Center by Deaderpool. I think it helps with the missing core feature of sims in the town not having their own lives getting married and having babies. That being said it will also give your game hilarious moments I think that if you didn't have it you would never see. :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    lopithecus wrote: »

Okay, I'm not trying to start an arguement here but let me just say, that in my original post, I mentioned that I liked The Sims 4 better than The Sims 3. Not everyone that complains about things that go on in The Sims 4 hates the game and prefers The Sims 3. Trust me, I have a lot of things that I could complain about The Sims 3 (and yes, this includes Sims cancelling actions but this didn't happen as often because I would play on low freewill.)

Now, with that being said, just because I like The Sims 4 more than The Sims 3, doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain about some things. I understand that some players have different play styles but that still doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain about things that bother me in my play style.

I'll say it again. I don't care if my sims go off and do what they want. In fact, I want them to do that if I don't have anything for them to do or if one of their needs are in the red. But when I assign them to do something, I do not want them cancelling my action unless one of their needs are in red.

This only got worse when toddlers were introduced. Everytime I turn around, my sims are cancelling player assigned tasks to either "put down" a toddler they aren't even holding or they are going to "check on" them. It's annoying when they are trying to do this at ever second and then when you try to cancel the action, they go and do it anyway or get half way there and then stop. It's a waste of time.
    I have that to but I am not complaining about it. Yes I wish they wouldn't cancel what you tell them to do and yes it's annoying but it's a game and far from perfect I only used TS3 as an example because I had the same things happening in that game to. I actually really hate TS3 so maybe I find it more tolerable because I don't want to go back to the game I can't stand.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

Dude get a grip, I didn't even bring up TS3 in my post nor have I ever said that it's perfect. Like what the heck are you even responding to right now lol. People like you are not worth engaging with whatsoever. You said yourself a couple of posts back you feel the need to go into posts and defend TS4. For what? Where is that getting you? Nobody made you a martyr. So go ahead and continue throwing your inane comments my way if you enjoy one sided conversation :)

P.S. 99% of us who still play TS3 know there are a lot of problems that were never fixed. Difference is, TS3 is out of development. There's nothing we can do now except mod it. TS4 still has a chance to be fixed. Sorry not sorry that someone shared a way that could possibly happen and that bothers you lol
    I was using TS3 as an example to say I experienced the same things. I know TS4 has bugs and problems but they are more tolerable to me because I won't go play the buggy messed up TS3. My game was beyond intolerable it wasn't worth even trying to play and I have mods to fix it but I still can't play. I have bad rendering freezing and I have a good computer but heavy resource game plus heavy resource mod to fix it don't exactly mix well.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I use MC Command Center by Deaderpool. I think it helps with the missing core feature of sims in the town not having their own lives getting married and having babies. That being said it will also give your game hilarious moments I think that if you didn't have it you would never see. :D
    Oh, I really need to get that MC mod, then!

(Actually, maybe I did have it before one time, but I think I took it out and haven't updated it in, like, forever, because the patches just kept coming up, lol.)

I am glad to hear some tips and to hear how some simmers approach the game. It helps to see how other people deal with their sims and how we can differ in perspective on the same things. Thanks, y'all. :smile:

I will try to look more closely at what my sims are doing and keep in mind the things people have mentioned in this thread. It might be more of a tuning issue or some actions are not switching the "modes"/conditions or whatever, and just need some adjustment. It might just be a different design choice as well.

I enjoy this game, I really do. It just feels weird and frustrating at times, but maybe it's just little tweaks that are needed.

I am still playing it, regardless. Can't wait for more content! :smile:
    (She/her)