Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting grounded

I don't understand why they made it when a Sim gets grounded, they can't go to school. That's crazy! I have my Sim sneak off to school and then she's in even more trouble. Is there a fix for this?

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    For those not averse to using mods, the fix is here:
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=533906
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Another example of Generation's sloppiness.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    @igazor THANK YOU! I had resorted to just letting the kids off the hook so they could go to school, otherwise it was a nasty cycle of getting in trouble for trying to leave and then getting in trouble again for not going.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    None of us are really sure what EA's developers really had in mind there. They must have had very unusual upbringings (which isn't a very nice thing to say since, as far as we know, they aren't here to explain themselves).

But anyway, I prefer to think of it more as an example of icarus_allsorts' brilliance than anything else. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    Well, you know what they say when it comes to Sims 3. It takes allsorts. icarus_allsorts. :D
    I just counted and I have 11 of his mods. :o
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

I was so frustrated with the locked in scolding, grounding and then more scolding for not going to school or for going to school the first time I encountered it I did a total annihilation of the single parent only to have the older teen brother take over the task of scolding. I quit that game. It was completely ruined.

I have a mod to do away with curfews altogether but this seems like a good addition to my game. Thanks.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got a Mod to do away with the curfews altogether and this one is also a must-have if you want to have your sims reproduce and have the town grow to a larger center.I've had that scolding patch for a long time and would never try to play families without it or the no social workers Mod I was forced to add to stop saves from getting corrupted.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    I was so frustrated with the locked in scolding, grounding and then more scolding for not going to school or for going to school the first time I encountered it I did a total annihilation of the single parent only to have the older teen brother take over the task of scolding. I quit that game. It was completely ruined.

I have a mod to do away with curfews altogether but this seems like a good addition to my game. Thanks.

That happened to me too! I thought that was crazy! Especially since it was the same sim doing all the scolding!
    I used testing cheats to erase the moodlets, then tele'd the kid to school before the scold cycle could start again.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I also always wondered why my teenagers weren't allowed to go to school if they were grounded, and I am glad to see that there's a mod to fix this :)
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,929 Member
    edited March 2017
    I got the mod to break the out of control scolding cycle when the parent worked at the school.

The child got scolded for skipping school when he couldn't get inside due to too many children trying to get in.

He got grounded.

After much difficulty I managed to get him into school next day. His parent worked at the school and dragged him out of school to scold him then made him do time out. Then after school time out times out and the parent came out of school to scold him from skipping school and grounded him again.

I then put the mod in and haven't had scolding issues since then.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The first time my sim got grounded I didn't realise him going to school was triggering it again. Whoops.
    I don't mind the autonomous reactions to teens and children misbehaving and I like the idea of curfew in theory. The only thing I dislike is if there's elder siblings living in the house, once they age to young adults, they can issue punishments? I don't like that.
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    None of us are really sure what EA's developers really had in mind there. They must have had very unusual upbringings (which isn't a very nice thing to say since, as far as we know, they aren't here to explain themselves).

But anyway, I prefer to think of it more as an example of icarus_allsorts' brilliance than anything else. :)

They were just playing with Fire and ice at the same time. Just to see what happens. Maybe they were using the Insane Trait while putting that in the Generations pack.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Well, children (and teens) in real life do sometimes get blamed and punished for things that were not their fault. And it can seem to them sometimes that they will get into more and more trouble no matter what they do. There is some semblance of realism to the grounding-punishment loop, whether it was intentional or not.

But not the extent that players see it and something like this shouldn't be totally ruining games with no way out of it. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    You can interrupt an angry parent with a ResetSim [Firstname Lastname] cheat, if they have the scolding queued up but haven't completed the action yet. So your grounded kid won't get in more trouble for going to school, if you are on the lookout for the issue. Yes, it's a cheat, but it will break the cycle. Or, you can get a helpful mod.

For my delinquent juvie boys, I actually just removed the school from my town, once they had met all their classmates. Now they may get grounded for breaking curfew, but won't then miss school and get in trouble for that, or go to school and get in trouble for going out while grounded. Also, they do really effective puppy-dog eyes and their adult guardian routinely lets them off the hook. :)