Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Americans don't use kettles?!?!?!???? Really?

MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
And Aussies are freaking out about it. (Theres articles about it on multiple news sites)

What do you use to boil water in? How do you boil water to make a cup of tea/instant coffee? How do you boil water for noodles? How do you have a cuppa soup?

Aussies use a kettle. (I'm pretty certain that all of Europe uses kettles too, and possibly Asia and Africa, and whoever is haning out in Antarctica)

Basic electric ones like this:
41989326-1-sz.jpg?itok=bM6EY4Ii&mtime=1489113002
Or fancier ones:
1000045672_main.jpg?$v7pdphero$&img404=noimagedefault

Or the stove-top variety
large_AGAHAKettle_product_image_502a7bef156b6.jpg
KitchenAid-Stovetop-Kettle-Empire-Red-1-9L_1_500px.jpg

Or the camping style billy
img_3683.jpg

It's tradition in Oz, when you first move out of home, two of the most important things you buy for your kitchen are a toaster, and a kettle.

So really, how do you boil water for a cuppa?

Yes. I am baffled by this cultural curiosity.
AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2017
    I use stovetop (pot). My grandmother uses a kettle. My husband also uses a kettle.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    I think using a kettle used to be very common here in the US, decades ago. Some people still use them. But at our house we just use a small pan.
  • Options
    TraarjoTraarjo Posts: 65 Member
    I'm from Norway and we use kettles too, but if I make a lot of tea I put on a pot of water and put the tea leaves directly into the pot, so maybe they do that??
  • Options
    Marmalade27Marmalade27 Posts: 625 Member
    I'm Canadian and I use an electric kettle.
  • Options
    mllemurasakimllemurasaki Posts: 25 Member
    Honestly, Americans use kettles too? Unless I'm seriously missing something? My family had a stovetop one until we got a new electric stove; now we use an electric one. The old one still gets used when we go camping!

Maybe it's more young people who can't afford lots of appliances who don't have kettles? If I moved out tomorrow I probably wouldn't get one for myself because I don't make much tea/coffee/cup ramen, but I'm sure I'll get one of my own someday. Weird...
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,616 Member
    edited March 2017
    Mine is the 'fancier one'?? I don't know why you would call it fancy. XD XD But the one we have looks something like this:
    sanyo-klt-9nc-electric-kettle-stainless-steel-4-2l-export-7837-7938072-0e00970732256409c8ff9a6020f705ef-zoom.jpg

Cuz I feel like the first one you posted is fancier and a bit more modern.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    monkeypants1monkeypants1 Posts: 320 Member
    I use one all the time to make tea. It's pretty quick on a gas stovetop. I don't think I'm some sort of special unicorn who does this either, since I bought it at Target just a few years ago, lol.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    We use a coffee maker and Keurig. Don't drink tea but they do also have tea makers here.

Noodles? I just put hot tap water in a plastic container, add noodles, put in microwave for 3 minutes and its done! If its a cup of noodles, I just add water to the cup of noodles and microwave.

Growing up, thats all they used back then, always had a kettle (like your #3 pic) sitting on the stove!
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,406 Member
    Lots of people in America use kettles so I don't know where those 'news sites' got their info ;)
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited March 2017
    Put water in a cup. Microwave it for a minute or two or three. Add a tea bag. Cuppa.

For instant noodle soup, do the same, but with a pyrex measuring cup. Microwave ovens are ubiquitous in the US. They are even in convenience stores so you can heat things on the spot.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm American and I have and use an electric kettle. Push a button and wait a few minutes to get hot water for tea. I have lived in the UK and Europe though. I had an electric kettle in the UK (and Sims lol).

I know the stereotypes but it really is a big country.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I will admit that when I lived in the UK, I tried microwaving hot water for a British friend who was shocked.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    FrejaFreja Posts: 159 Member
    there are even articles about that? wow. probably if people don't use kettles, they use simple pots or espresso machines. doesn't really matter where you get your hot water until it's hot.
    people are just too funny
  • Options
    faerydreams13faerydreams13 Posts: 94 Member
    We need a new stove first? It totally bought my mom a new kettle for a Christmas and we've had one!! Kettles are amazing! (And important! Haha)
    Currently Playing:
    The Chudwell Legacy: The Third Generation, featuring Cassie Chudwell.
    The Prism Legacy: A Not So Berry Challenge, featuring Patina Prism
  • Options
    honeyboomhoneyboom Posts: 243 Member
    They use the microwave. When i visited my ex in the US this one time i found out they microwave bacon too.
    "every star may be a sun to someone"-carl sagan
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Americans use Starbucks. B)
  • Options
    FrejaFreja Posts: 159 Member
    honeyboom wrote: »
    They use the microwave. When i visited my ex in the US this one time i found out they microwave bacon too.

:worried:

well that explains the claim that people are crazy about microwaves. I thought microwave is for popcorn, not for cooking food :neutral:
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    xoxoat11 wrote: »

well that explains the claim that people are crazy about microwaves. I thought microwave is for popcorn, not for cooking food :neutral:

Next time you're hankeing for a snack fork a few holes in a potato stick it in a bowl with a tablespoon of water and throw it in the microwave for a few minutes till it gets soft. Add favorite toppings and serve.

Delish! B)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2017
    The best tea is made with a "rolling boil" ie: bubbling hot, straight onto the tea in a teapot to infuse the tea. Works for teabags too. In the uk we were brought up to think that Americans couldn't make it properly anyway. o:)
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Um, I have to ask... why do Aussies care what Americans use to heat water? And why does that warrant 'freaking out' about it? :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    honeyboomhoneyboom Posts: 243 Member
    xoxoat11 wrote: »

i think americans just find it really convenient. they must panic pretty hard when their microwave breaks. makes me wonder how they even survived before the microwave was invented
    "every star may be a sun to someone"-carl sagan
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    The water in my bathroom is often hotter than I can get in my kitchen, so I usually make tea and ramen in the bathtub. :p

Of course we have and use kettles. Yes, there are some who prefer hot shots and microwaves for "boiling" water, but those of us who are purists know that it's just not the same without that rolling boil, especially for tea. Personally I would say that my coffee maker and toaster are more first priority appliances if I must rank them in order, but that's just me.

My microwave is for softening butter, defrosting something quickly, and heating up food someone or something else has cooked and put into the frozen section of the supermarket. You can't paint all of us Americans with the same brush.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    We won't, apparently, have to bother about kettles or microwaves to make our hot drinks in the future. All we need to do is install one of those instant hot water taps being advertised at the moment. ie: Quooker, insinkerator etc. Takes all the enjoyment out of it.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Honestly, Americans use kettles too? Unless I'm seriously missing something? My family had a stovetop one until we got a new electric stove; now we use an electric one. The old one still gets used when we go camping!

Maybe it's more young people who can't afford lots of appliances who don't have kettles? If I moved out tomorrow I probably wouldn't get one for myself because I don't make much tea/coffee/cup ramen, but I'm sure I'll get one of my own someday. Weird...

A lot of young people will use their microwave to heat up water -- I did that till we got our electric kettle and it's so much easier and faster with the kettle. The Keurig single serve beverage makers are also very popular; I don't care for them because the containers used to make the beverage clutter up landfills but there are now reusable ones you can fill with your own coffee or looseleaf tea, and I can see where they might be more practical in an office setting where no one wants to make a fresh pot of coffee. :/
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    We won't, apparently, have to bother about kettles or microwaves to make our hot drinks in the future. All we need to do is install one of those instant hot water taps being advertised at the moment. ie: Quooker, insinkerator etc. Takes all the enjoyment out of it.

I don't think the hot water out of the tap tastes as good as freshly boiled, but it can come in handy when you have to add hot water when prepaing food.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)