Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't I play TS4 without internet?

I didn't have any internet all day today and was going to spend the whole day playing TS4, but I ran into a tiny problem.

When I opened Origin it went straight to the login screen, it didn't auto log me in like it usually does. I hadn't needed to use offline mode since the days of TS3, before TS4 came out when you opened Origin while not connected to internet it would auto put you in offline mode (like how steam currently is) and you could play TS3 without internet. BUT! My friend googled what my problem was and she said (according to google) I need to login to Origin while connected to the internet and then put it in offline mode. She tested it on her computer (which was connected to internet) and when she did it she couldn't view her library or play any of her games including TS4.

My question: Why do we need internet to play Origin games?

We use to be able to before. I feel like this is massively limiting players.

I would like everyones thoughts and opinions about this!
banner_3.jpg?w=1200

Comments

• Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Just log in. You don't have to be online for that to work.
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    I had tried to login, but it wouldn't work.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Options
    sweetbluekiana1sweetbluekiana1 Posts: 167 Member
    @rosemow Can you help with this?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,600 Member
    Hello
    You should be able to play offline. Usually you need to log in to Origin when on line, then click on the origin label at the top of the screen and click go offline. Then you can play off line.
    This should allow you then to play off line when you next want to play.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @heatherXkitty @applefeather2 @sweetbluekiana1 @rosemow

This is a problem with Origin where trying to start Origin without an Internet connection will not allow you to sign in. For some reason, Origin doesn't automatically allow you to sign in offline without an Internet connection which can prevent you from playing games that require you to sign in to Origin. Want to play The Sims 4, SimCity, or Dragon Age: Inquisition on your computer but you're not connected to the Internet? Too bad, you can't play because Origin won't sign in! This has caused frustrations among players when they found out their games won't work because of Origin. Fortunately, there is a workaround in this AHQ thread that will allow you to play the game.

I had this problem back in early 2015 when I had to move between houses and when my sister had lost Internet. When I tried playing at my sister's home on my desktop computer, I couldn't play The Sims 4 because Origin wouldn't sign in until I found a thread that explained to me that you can play games offline. I did the trick and it worked. However, problems resurfaced in Origin version 10 when it broke the ability for me to play online until I did another workaround. I like how Steam and GOG Galaxy handle being offline compared to Origin.

On Steam, if you are not connected to the Internet (or Steam can't connect), it offers you an option to run it in Offline Mode or retry (in case you tried to run Steam offline but later connected to the Internet) so you can still play your games Offline. GOG Galaxy also starts when there's no Internet connection.

The Sims FreePlay is probably as bad as The Sims 4 as the former requires an Internet connection to play making it really annoying for travelers (or people with limited Internet) who have tablets that are Wi-Fi only or doesn't want to use up their allowance on their cellular plan on their smartphones.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    You should be able to play offline. Usually you need to log in to Origin when on line, then click on the origin label at the top of the screen and click go offline. Then you can play off line.
    This should allow you then to play off line when you next want to play.

This would only work if a person knew in advance if they were going to be without internet. It doesn't help people who's internet goes out at random times.

It is 100% impossible to login when not connected to the internet. And since Origin will sign you out the next time you shut down then re start your computer you'd basically have to always leave your computer on in order to always be able to play offline. Which you shouldn't do because its not good to always leave your computer on. Besides that, what if your using a laptop and the battery dies? You wouldn't be able to play anymore until you connect your computer to the internet again.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,600 Member
    Hello
    There is an issue when the Internet randomly goes off :( A way to help when that occurs is to try to use a mobile phone as a hotspot to connect to the internet .
    Origin shouldnt sign you out when you shut down your computer. If you remain signed in , and don't log out, you should still be signed in when launching the game after restarting your computer.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited February 2017
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    There is an issue when the Internet randomly goes off :( A way to help when that occurs is to try to use a mobile phone as a hotspot to connect to the internet .
    Origin shouldnt sign you out when you shut down your computer. If you remain signed in , and don't log out, you should still be signed in when launching the game after restarting your computer.
    Whenever you shut down Windows, Origin will close so you will be signed out since Origin isn't running so that means you will need to sign in to Origin every time you turn on your computer and start Windows.The same thing will happen if you close Origin (either by right clicking the Origin icon. However, if you are connected to the Internet and Origin is set to keep you signed in, you will not need to enter your password but you do need to enter your password if your computer isn't connected to the Internet regardless of the keep me signed in setting.

This would explain why The Sims 4, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 3 (1.69) will take longer to start when you turn on your computer since you have to sign in to Origin. This can be remedied by having Origin start when Windows is started.

Likewise, Steam has to connect and sign in every time you start the application so it will do this every time you start your computer. Likewise, the PS3 and Xbox 360 has to connect to PlayStation Network and Xbox Live respectively when you turn on the console in order to sign in to PSN/Live when you have a Sony Entertainment Network account (PS3) or Microsoft account.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer