Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some Toddler Questions

Can toddlers be taken to community lots?
Can toddlers be taken on vacation?
Can toddlers be taken to restaurants? If I edit the restaurant to include a high chair, will that be included with a table?
Can toddlers be taught to walk?
Can toddlers route outside of the active lot (unaided and carried), e.g. to a nearby park or festival?
Are there any guides to toddler skills and activities yet? Any videos of toddlers aging up?
Is the 'dance party' mentioned in the announcement referring to when parents teach their kids to dance, or an actual new party type?

Comments

• Options
    ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    yes to the first 2, yes to being taught to walk, not sure about the rest
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Can toddlers be taken to community lots? I guess so ya.
    Can toddlers be taken on vacation? Haven't tried it.
    Can toddlers be taken to restaurants? If I edit the restaurant to include a high chair, will that be included with a table? Haven't tried it.
    Can toddlers be taught to walk? Yes.
    Can toddlers route outside of the active lot (unaided and carried), e.g. to a nearby park or festival? Yes. I don't know about a festival if the toddler has to use the elevator to go downstairs but my toddler could get out of a normal house on ground level on his own.
    Are there any guides to toddler skills and activities yet? Any videos of toddlers aging up? -
    Is the 'dance party' mentioned in the announcement referring to when parents teach their kids to dance, or an actual new party type? Which announcement?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Does anyone know if toddlers go to daycare like the babies do when left alone in a house? Or do you need to hire a nanny?
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    So far I have found 5 skills for toddlers; Communications, Imagination, Movement (this is walking), Potty, Thinking. Toddlers start off knowing how to walk, but they are very wobbly. As they increase up in skill, they get better, and faster, along with a few other things. There are 3 Potty skill points, all the rest have 5 skills. I did a little cheating with one of my toddlers just to see what they all can do, and they are very enjoyable to have around.

They can leave the house, and yard all on their own, and sometimes they will on their own.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Toddlers can go to day care or hire a nanny. I took my toddler to the karaoke bar, the sim left her on the side walk and went in, when I clicked on what would be the home interaction it was send to day care.

Toddlers can be taught to walk. Officially they aren't allowed in restaurants but a simmer on this forum got around it.
    Toddlers can build skills with some objects, flash cards I think teaches them communication, they have a tablet they may get a skill off and I read that when they build up the movement skill they will be able to climb stairs and run! I'm sure there are lots more.
  • Options
    Toddlers can go to day care or hire a nanny. I took my toddler to the karaoke bar, the sim left her on the side walk and went in, when I clicked on what would be the home interaction it was send to day care.

Toddlers can be taught to walk. Officially they aren't allowed in restaurants but a simmer on this forum got around it.
    Toddlers can build skills with some objects, flash cards I think teaches them communication, they have a tablet they may get a skill off and I read that when they build up the movement skill they will be able to climb stairs and run! I'm sure there are lots more.

Thank you for answering about the daycare thing. :)

How do you get around the restaurant barring?
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    joleaco wrote: »

You are welcome. I haven't tried it personally, it was @Pixelsimmer who found a way on another thread. I hope they don't mind me taking their answer from there:

(I think you have to call the toddler back as you will get a pop up saying they can't be taken there) and you need to add a high chair to your restaurant(s)

]So this is what you need to do:

1. Go to a restaurant
    2. Bring the toddler to the lot
    3. Have a sim put the toddler on the high chair and select "give food" (the toddler will autonomously eat the food but you can cancel the action and wait for the rest of the family)
    4. Have your sim request the table with the high chair
    5. Enjoy a family meal!
  • Options

You are welcome. I haven't tried it personally, it was @Pixelsimmer who found a way on another thread. I hope they don't mind me taking their answer from there:

(I think you have to call the toddler back as you will get a pop up saying they can't be taken there) and you need to add a high chair to your restaurant(s)

]So this is what you need to do:

1. Go to a restaurant
    2. Bring the toddler to the lot
    3. Have a sim put the toddler on the high chair and select "give food" (the toddler will autonomously eat the food but you can cancel the action and wait for the rest of the family)
    4. Have your sim request the table with the high chair
    5. Enjoy a family meal!

Thanks again!! :) Seems doable but hopefully they'll patch a fix for this. A toddler in a restaurant sounds like it could get up to some messy mischief.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    How do you make a sim a caregiver? According to the notes you click on Adopt as Caregiver (found under the toddlers Help… interaction menu) are caregivers, but I see no toddlers help interaction menu. I have clicked on the parents and nothing, and when I click on toddlers still no help menu. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    How do you make a sim a caregiver? According to the notes you click on Adopt as Caregiver (found under the toddlers Help… interaction menu) are caregivers, but I see no toddlers help interaction menu. I have clicked on the parents and nothing, and when I click on toddlers still no help menu. Any help would be appreciated.

The sim you are trying this on, do they live in the same home as the toddler? The sim that I had my toddler Adopt as Caregiver was one of her mother's friends that moved in with them.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    edited January 2017
    Can toddlers route outside the active lot? In the process of testing this. I did discover by clicking on the toddler and choosing 'wander' they can use the elevator. My toddler is now outside unattended and heading across the street (possibly.) Will update in a minute.

Update: If the festival in is your neighborhood and no loading screen is necessary then yes they can go there. All phone options are grayed out however so none of the regular travel options are available.
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Colorist40 wrote: »

The sim you are trying this on, do they live in the same home as the toddler? The sim that I had my toddler Adopt as Caregiver was one of her mother's friends that moved in with them.

Yes it was her mother, but I understood mothers could be designated as well. Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Can toddlers be taken to community lots?
    Can toddlers be taken on vacation?
    Can toddlers be taken to restaurants? If I edit the restaurant to include a high chair, will that be included with a table? I didn't remove a chair from the table, but it let me add a highchair, and also I could purchase food for the toddler.
    Can toddlers be taught to walk? when they first age up, they are taught to walk, and they get better as they age.
    Can toddlers route outside of the active lot (unaided and carried), e.g. to a nearby park or festival? not sure
    Are there any guides to toddler skills and activities yet? Any videos of toddlers aging up?
    Is the 'dance party' mentioned in the announcement referring to when parents teach their kids to dance, or an actual new party type? its just dancing around with the toddler
  • Options
    To Adopt as Caregiver would be under the help option.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited January 2017
    • Can toddlers be taken to community lots? - Yes, I took mine to the H&H festival (home in OS) earlier.
    • Can toddlers be taken on vacation? - Not sure but I assume so from above - You'd have to put in toddler stuff before renting the cabin though.
    • Can toddlers be taken to restaurants? If I edit the restaurant to include a high chair, will that be included with a table? - High chairs snap to tables, so potentially yes.
    • Can toddlers be taught to walk? - They are walking but wobbly to begin with. These are slightly older 2-3 yo toddlers. More about learning and exploring their environment.
    • Can toddlers route outside of the active lot (unaided and carried), e.g. to a nearby park or festival? Yes, as above. They can climb stairs with level 1 Movement skill.
    • Are there any guides to toddler skills and activities yet? Any videos of toddlers aging up? Dunno, but there is tutorial tips/lessons in game.
    • Is the 'dance party' mentioned in the announcement referring to when parents teach their kids to dance, or an actual new party type?Dunno what this one is about.

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Thank you for all of the replies! :heart: I still can't believe toddlers are here.
  • Options
    yo_prinz_ohyo_prinz_oh Posts: 30 New Member
    Hello! Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have a toddler question: how do you achieve energized, happy, and playful emotions easily? I want to max the toddler's skills asap.
  • Options
    ayekantspeylgudayekantspeylgud Posts: 44 Member

Which expansion do you guys have that you have restaurants? That's one thing I miss from TS3 but I'm happy to see food carts and stuff. I was frustrated that - for the most part - either I pack a lunch for my sims (put a fresh serving in their inventory to eat later) or "grab chips".

I have had one toddler so far - they are frustrating if you have a lot going on but I love the realism (throw tantrum, cry, be defiant, etc). I love the monster under the bed thing for children but figured out it seems to be mostly pertaining to me leaving the music on in his room.

Toddlers can be taken to community lots and they can be fed without a high chair so I wouldn't think one would be needed.
    Hello! Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have a toddler question: how do you achieve energized, happy, and playful emotions easily? I want to max the toddler's skills asap.

Keep his/her needs high and be better friends with it. My toddler would not listen to his dad very much because he wasn't friends with him lol. He listened to the roommate even when he was otherwise angry or in a bad mood because he was almost full friendship with her. That said, you don't need to keep the emotions super high to max the skillset. I actually had my skills maxed well before the age-up date. But if you are looking to age them up sooner than their birthday, have an adult help out (potty train, flash cards, teach to talk, etc). Also, get a wabbit tablet and have them play with a variety of toys. Don't have them play with the same toy all the time or they will only max the same skill. If you talk to them and have them talk to others, read them to sleep on occasion... it all helps.

Then again, it's possible that different toddlers progress at different rates (like real life). My current toddler grew into a child and as a toddler he was sometimes defiant, as a baby he only cried when he needed something. My new baby cries all the time so I'm curious to see what he turns out to be like.

That said, it is worth maxing the stats and taking care of your toddlers because you also get a moodlet boost for "good toddlerhood".

• Options
    LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member
    As far as taking a toddler to a restaurant.. would he/she not sit in a regular chair to eat ?.. I have no high chair in my sims home. When it comes time to him to eat, I leave food on the table.. and every time now, when he is hungry, he goes to the table.. grabs a serving, sticks it in his inventory, and then either heads for his bed, or the chair in front of the tv, and eats it all.
  • Options
    Every time the toddler wakes up, I always have it learn a skill until it reaches 3, then build the others. Once all are on 3, I build them all to 5. The problem is, I don't have enough time because by then, he'll grow into a child. So I was thinking, maybe, if I could get the toddler to a specific emotion after waking up, he'll max skills faster.
  • Options
    ayekantspeylgudayekantspeylgud Posts: 44 Member
    Laceyrose wrote: »
    As far as taking a toddler to a restaurant.. would he/she not sit in a regular chair to eat ?.. I have no high chair in my sims home. When it comes time to him to eat, I leave food on the table.. and every time now, when he is hungry, he goes to the table.. grabs a serving, sticks it in his inventory, and then either heads for his bed, or the chair in front of the tv, and eats it all.

I don't have restaurants so I can't say for sure. But, if you don't have (or want) a high chair you have a few options.

1. Make a meal, call to meal. Toddler will grab a serving and sit and eat.
    2. Pick up a serving via adult sim, give it to your toddler and he/she will eat it.

The toddlers will climb up on the couch or sit on the floor or in their little chair. I had the bear chair for mine and he would sit in that frequently.
    Every time the toddler wakes up, I always have it learn a skill until it reaches 3, then build the others. Once all are on 3, I build them all to 5. The problem is, I don't have enough time because by then, he'll grow into a child. So I was thinking, maybe, if I could get the toddler to a specific emotion after waking up, he'll max skills faster.

Are you looking to age him up faster than the natural progression then? I don't think "focused" works on toddlers, but I can't remember if "inspired" is an option. I would think if you could get one of those emotions that it would go faster. You could always just use environmental items?

• Options
    LaceyroseLaceyrose Posts: 587 Member
    Not to have the high chair is by choice.. lol, the 3 toddlers Ive had so far.. has done way much better without it.
  • Options
    Laceyrose wrote: »
    Are you looking to age him up faster than the natural progression then? I don't think "focused" works on toddlers, but I can't remember if "inspired" is an option. I would think if you could get one of those emotions that it would go faster. You could always just use environmental items?
    No. Normal age span. I think toddlers only have three positive emotions being Happy, Energized, and Playful. Environmental items somehow don't work on toddlers. I placed playful painting around the house, and they don't seem to pick up the moodlet.
  • Options
    No. Normal age span. I think toddlers only have three positive emotions being Happy, Energized, and Playful. Environmental items somehow don't work on toddlers. I placed playful painting around the house, and they don't seem to pick up the moodlet.

Sorry for the post above. Didn't use the preview button. :(

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member