Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it possible to have bad cc on sims 4?

Just wondering because I struggled a lot with bad cc in sims 3
large.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TrycTryc Posts: 123 Member
    Clarify "bad". It means different things to different people.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    It is possible to have bad CC with any version of the game. Like Tryc said, though, it's very subjective. "Bad" content could be anything from a visual error, to content overwriting other content, to content completely crashing the game. It could stem from someone simply not giving their content a unique name, or if they accidentally unlink/delete some part of the file, who knows what would happen. There is always room for creator error with CC.

Even if it's not creator error, note that there are lots of opportunities to for something get corrupted even after that - when they upload the file, if/when their server does any zipping/unzipping, when you download the file, if/when you unzip the file, if your anti-virus is probing through the file - etc.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    Also there is CC that is aesthetically displeasing.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    The nice thing about Sims 4 is the CC is easily removed if it causes a problem. When you add CC to your game, do it in small batches, and test it in game in a new save so nothing happens to your current save. Once you've tested and there's no crashing, or weird stuff going on you know you're good to go. It's also good to find a way to keep track of where you got the CC in case it needs to be updated. Remember when Pets came out in the Sims 3 and any object an animal interacted with had to be updated? I lost some of my favorite stuff because I couldn't remember where I got it. Now I bookmark every site I download stuff from in its own folder. At leas I can search for it if needed.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    To add to what has already been posted.. You can't get CC from the gallery like you could with the exchange. So you don't have to worry about bad CC coming from the gallery. Just keep track of what you download.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    To add to what has already been posted.. You can't get CC from the gallery like you could with the exchange. So you don't have to worry about bad CC coming from the gallery. Just keep track of what you download.
    You can't :\ ? I thought you could.
    I had a female t-shirt in my game once that was worn by many males in my town (creepy) and by toddlers (who became spaghetti).
    I guess that's what the OP means by 'bad cc'.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @astridentanja The OP is talking about TS4, right? I'm not talking about the exchange (TS3). I'm talking about the gallery (TS4). :p
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @astridentanja The OP is talking about TS4, right? I'm not talking about the exchange (TS3). I'm talking about the gallery (TS4). :p
    Yes, I understood ;) I thought cc came along through the gallery as well (same as through the exchange).
    I saw people complaining about the fact people aren't being honest reporting cc in the gallery, that's why.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Yes, I understood ;) I thought cc came along through the gallery as well (same as through the exchange).
    I saw people complaining about the fact people aren't being honest reporting cc in the gallery, that's why.

The problem with the not-honestly-reporting isn't that you end up with CC; it's that the CC ends up being replaced in-game, and it's not what-you-see-is-what-you-get.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

The problem with the not-honestly-reporting isn't that you end up with CC; it's that the CC ends up being replaced in-game, and it's not what-you-see-is-what-you-get.
    Ok, that's good news to me actually ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    WhoDatWhoDatWhoDatWhoDat Posts: 118 Member
    edited November 2014
    Naydi wrote: »
    Also there is CC that is aesthetically displeasing.

I'm sure we have all came across that before. *cough cough THE UGLY HEART SHOES THAT CAME WITH NEARLY EVERY GIRL SIM IN THE SIMS 3 EXCHANGE AND WAS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO DELETE cough cough*

10h2dkj.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    That is CC with attachment issue and is troubling. That happens usually due to how the creator sets the flags on the content. Unfortunately bad flagging can result in the item also becoming corrupting and hard to remove or like in the case of what we called the devil doll in Sims 3 - was a toy doll that became like an evil entity and even fouled up the Sims exchange so bad they they warned anyone who uploaded a lot with that doll in it - they would get banned. So even good CC can turn ugly. Also in any game as long as the game has new code added or old code changed - CC made before the new coding often can turn bad. It is why you have to remove your mod folder before you patch any game or add any EA made content - ep, or sps or even dlc - then add back your CC slowly a few at a time just in case code in a patch or content has created possible mesh changes if a creator used EA's meshes to make their CC - so they don't corrupt your whole game.

I actually played Sims 3 with out any CC or mods because of these issues.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    kulpickleskulpickles Posts: 111 Member
    I found some bad CC that wouldn't let my game open. It is the following: Violablu _ HelloKittyVarsity.package and it can be found on the site candie sims 4 .com/ category/ clothing /(spaces have been inserted because it won't let me post site). It was making me frustrated when I could not open my game due to an error, so I searched through all the CC until I narrowed it down to this one! Whew. What a way to spend a morning. :)
  • Options
    WhoDatWhoDatWhoDatWhoDat Posts: 118 Member
    What do you mean by "bad"? Like aesthetically speaking, or if a file is corrupted?
  • Options
    kulpickleskulpickles Posts: 111 Member
    File is corrupted and won't allow the game to open. I let the creator know this.
  • Options
    blankspaceblankspace Posts: 169 Member
    kulpickles wrote: »
    File is corrupted and won't allow the game to open. I let the creator know this.

For now, take the CC file back into your Downloads and when you hear back from the CC creator, do as she instructs you to make the CC file work.
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    Yes once in awhile you will find a cc that doesn't either work, is displeasing to the eye or conflicts with something else. What I do is go very slowly when installing the mods. For me I work no more then 5-10 at a time depending on what category the mod fits into.

I am a bit OCD so my mods folder is very organized. It is sorted by buy, build, cas, config mods, liberated items, scripts, etc. etc. Inside each folder is sub folders for example in CAS I have skins, eyes, tattoo's, hairs, etc. Then inside for example the hairs folder I have another folder that is name the site I got the mod from, inside that folder I have the creator and then one more folder with the name of the item. In the folder with the actual item I also place an image of that download. For me if I don't like that item after I view it in the game it makes it so much easier to locate so I can remove it.

I check mysims4 blog, TSR, Mod The Sims and a few of my other favorite sites almost daily, then as I am going through the mods sites I bookmark each and every item I want to get. Then I when I am done for the day I organize those bookmarks into categories like CAS, buy, build, etc. Makes it so much easier later on when looking at them in the game so you don't have to constantly flip back and forth in game. As I check items in the game I have the game in windows mode along with the browser open. If I like the item and I am going to keep it I delete the bookmark. If I don't like the item I leave the bookmark alone, then when I am done sorting the 5-10 items I close the game. Then use those bookmarks to help me delete the things I don't want. This way you don't forget what it was you wanted to get rid of. After I remove that custom content out of the game I then delete the bookmark. I know it sounds like a lot of work and steps but really it isn't and it keeps everything organized and less confusing.
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    halfnotes9halfnotes9 Posts: 163 Member
    @Simasaurus09 No wonder when I downloaded a sim with beautiful hair and must've been different skin, the sims were black in my gallery, so I just deleted them. :(
  • Options
    JuicySharpieJuicySharpie Posts: 52 Member
    > @kulpickles said:
    > I found some bad CC that wouldn't let my game open. It is the following: Violablu _ HelloKittyVarsity.package and it can be found on the site candie sims 4 .com/ category/ clothing /(spaces have been inserted because it won't let me post site). It was making me frustrated when I could not open my game due to an error, so I searched through all the CC until I narrowed it down to this one! Whew. What a way to spend a morning. :)
    >
    I had that one too!! I ended up deleting it because I didn't see it in CAS so I knew it was the bad one, it was also invisible.
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I usually only download CC from TSR and MTS. Since the start of sims 3 up until now, I've run into maybe 2-3 corrupted files from those websites. My point being that those sites are not guarenteed, but are pretty reliable. Plus, like others have mentioned, if you do get a corrupted file you just delete it :)