Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

story progression turned off but game still populating custom world?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @igazor

yes i saw both options on the link you sent me so doing it your way how many various setting have to changed every time I leave a family? or when going back? does every sim have settings that need to be changed individually? or can the whole families settings be done for all of them at once? Also if I did not change the settings when coming back to the families would I be able to direct them to do those actions I turned off and they would follow my instruction to do so?

In this new custom world I want to be able to play around 8-10 separate families but the rest of the families/sims I choose to place in other lots can do whatever they like..
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Using my option, there is one caste to create called Rotations (actually two castes, a second one is for households I've deemed "tax exempt" but that's getting fancy so let's set that one aside although I've explained that on the page). The caste includes the settings changes -- sims can't move houses, get pregnant, adopt, get a new pet, skill up, change jobs, get new romantic partners or breakup, etc. as the player wants. Keeping your let's say 9 protected families in the caste while they are not active protects them against these forms of progression. The 10th one, the one you are now playing, is not subject to these protections because you take them out of the protected caste to play them. Everyone else in town is not subject to these restrictions because they are not caste members and they are free to progress or not as SP otherwise deems fit.

There is no need to change household or individual sim options as you rotate, the whole point of the caste system is to allow its protection to extend to the households you have designated by placing them manually in the caste. So the answer to your question is, no settings need to be changed upon switching households. Just put the soon to become inactive household back into the protected caste. If you wish to change the caste protection options across the board, there is then only one place to change them needed instead of 10.

The reason I insist upon taking them out of the protected caste in order to play is that some of my settings (can't be or become pregnant, can't level up on jobs and skills) will interfere with active play if they are left in the caste while being played.

You CAN theoretically do this without castes and instead change all of the sims' or their households' settings manually as you rotate. But that's the much more cumbersome way and very prone to user error.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Hi @igazor ]

Thank you for that extra info I have been in game a couple hours tonight placing all the unwanted sims in my houses into merged households as I think they are service sims then going back to the lots I have taken them out of to remove the fridges lol so I am hoping I am not going to experience any further problems with sims moving into lots I don't want them to going forward :)

Next I am going to start moving in the families I want to play periodically so am going to follow your instructions about that and hope I get it right enough first time to not get any unwanted surprises lol this will be followed by adding families into the world where I do not mind what their particular progression is as long as they are dressed appropriately regards the area I am putting them in lol

• Options
    There will always be unexpected surprises. You are playing a sims game, are you not? :)

This probably isn't a real issue, it's likely just one of semantics. But Service Sims do not live in households, they must be homeless NPCs. Service Sims are the ones we call or they come over to our sims' houses to perform their services -- for example, maids, mail carriers, pizza deliverers, butlers, babysitters, social workers, grim reapers.

Role Sims are the ones who are assigned to and staff role giving objects in town. Examples are cashier attendants, mixologists (the kind in bars, not the one who serves your household at a party), bouncers, tattoo artists, festival booth workers. Role Sims can be either homeless NPCs or residents, as long as they are not actively played.

What confuses things (a little) are highrise and other LN style apartments with blacked out private areas and NPC doors. It can look like Service/Role Sims live in those units, but really they just go in there instead of off the map to hibernate when their services are not called for to give the illusion of a busier apartment building and neighbors. But if you have no such lots in town, then of course you wouldn't be seeing them do these things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I found out having the skills pushes for matial arts and chess enabled in general options under story progression does cause the game to throw script errors about trying to invite an opponant over and the situation failing if your town only has one active family and no other families which is why I'd strongly advise against having those two pushes enabled at all and even recommend disabling all skill pushes if you want the game to run faster and smoother without stressing your computer out.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Or quickly add a second (and maybe a third?) household to the town. It's really not necessary to get all concerned over the chess and martial arts lack of opponent errors; they are part of the game and it will get upset on players even without SP and its attempts to push things along. This issue is only relevant if you really are trying to play a town with one and only one resident household in it. Most players don't care to keep things so restricted for very long.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Thanks @igazor

I cannot believe taking out a mere fridge in every lot would have stopped it how many years have I been playing this game haha :):p

Yes, it's the frig. I always take it and the stove out.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Thanks @igazor

I cannot believe taking out a mere fridge in every lot would have stopped it how many years have I been playing this game haha :):p

That doesn't do any harm of course, but I don't think sims require a stove to move onto a lot of their own accord or to pass any kind of household inspections. There are, of course, other ways to prepare food -- grills, microwaves, store content ovens, ITF food synthesizers. And sims can survive on quick meals from the fridges and recipes that do not require stove cooking like salads, sandwiches, cheese plates, fruit parfait. But a fridge is always a requirement.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Mighty interesting to know about the lack of fridge!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    There will always be unexpected surprises. You are playing a sims game, are you not? :)

This probably isn't a real issue, it's likely just one of semantics. But Service Sims do not live in households, they must be homeless NPCs. Service Sims are the ones we call or they come over to our sims' houses to perform their services -- for example, maids, mail carriers, pizza deliverers, butlers, babysitters, social workers, grim reapers.

Role Sims are the ones who are assigned to and staff role giving objects in town. Examples are cashier attendants, mixologists (the kind in bars, not the one who serves your household at a party), bouncers, tattoo artists, festival booth workers. Role Sims can be either homeless NPCs or residents, as long as they are not actively played.

What confuses things (a little) are highrise and other LN style apartments with blacked out private areas and NPC doors. It can look like Service/Role Sims live in those units, but really they just go in there instead of off the map to hibernate when their services are not called for to give the illusion of a busier apartment building and neighbors. But if you have no such lots in town, then of course you wouldn't be seeing them do these things.

sooo who do you think are all these sims I have moved out of house lots and merged them into residential 8 max lots are then? role sims? maybe from the way you describe them..

when you say service sims must be homeless does that mean I have done something negative putting all these sims in to 2 residential houses?

and role sims I never realized they could not be actively played and am wondering why not?

what happens to those service/role sims when i use a Nrass mod to give townies their jobs around the world?

its all so very interesting if only I could remember all these details all of the time :)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    If you take a Service Sim and make them a proper town resident, nothing dreadful happens. But they will lose their Service assignment immediately and new homeless Service Sims will spawn or be drawn from the existing pool when they are needed.

If you take a Role Sim and make them a proper town resident, that's fine and shouldn't disturb what they are there to do. They won't have much of a life though, unless the Role they are assigned to has more decent working hours than many of them do.

If you make a Role Sim part of the actively being played household, this is not intended and they will likely lose their Role assignment or be unable to carry it out after a short while. We can't play the cashiers, mixologists, paparazzi, uni mascots, etc. ourselves even if they are residents.

Maybe this page helps?
    https://nraas.wikispaces.com/Population - Town Management
    (see the "Who Is In My Town?" section)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor

Thank you after looking at that link which led me to animal controls I think I am going to start with that as I have always wanted more controls over that aspect and then learn to play families with rotation then wait until the next question pops into my mind that I need to learn about and go from there :)
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Thanks @igazor

That doesn't do any harm of course, but I don't think sims require a stove to move onto a lot of their own accord or to pass any kind of household inspections. There are, of course, other ways to prepare food -- grills, microwaves, store content ovens, ITF food synthesizers. And sims can survive on quick meals from the fridges and recipes that do not require stove cooking like salads, sandwiches, cheese plates, fruit parfait. But a fridge is always a requirement.

I used to even take the toilet out as well, lol. Been doing so with my empty houses in my towns since I started playing the game when I noticed the game kept filling up the empty houses and started experimenting with what stopped "it" from doing so.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh, sims do not require toilet facilities either but you probably already found that out. Not sure I would ever want to visit their homes if they really do have none though as the side-effects probably wouldn't be very pleasant.

In fact, kind of off-topic, but did you know that one way to prevent bladder decay and accidents on community lots is to just not provide toilets? Sims won't have to go if there are no facilities, unless they arrived on the lot already in some sort of bladder emergency situation. But I don't think it works that way for residential lots. It does for the WA tombs, I think this is where many players made that discovery. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!