Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you search for in the Gallery?

phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
I've been reading the Things Builders Do that Annoy You thread and it got me thinking about something similar:

What do you search for in the Gallery? What kind of lots do you download the most?

Do you want starters that are prettier than the ones in-game? One that have enough space to stay in for generations? Are you looking for more variety for second homes? For legacies? Backdrops for machinima? Do you want a style or a theme that doesn't exist in the game?
4TJdLHA.png
Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
Post edited by phantasmkiss on

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Mostly I look for homes that are remolded homes of the ones that are already in the game, but kept simple, and not a ton of clutter all over the place. I don't mind some, because it adds that lived in look. One thing that turns me off to a home is if it has way too many lights per room. I've seen some where, there were some where between 10 to 20 lights in a single room, and every room was like that.

Also I also try to find homes that don't require me to do a money cheat.
  • Options
    FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    Depends on the situation. Sometimes I'm looking for starters. Sometimes I'm lloking for something lavish for a sim that's worked hard and is ready to buy their dream home. I'll sometimes look for cooler public lots to replace ones in game where there's not much functionality or much to do there. I'm often looking for a certain theme too, depending on what save I'm playing--so space themed for where I'm playing Princess Leia, or goth themed for the Addams Family, something cutesy and cartoony for PowerPuff Girls, ect. When I'm just playing my basic save tho, I'm just looking for something nice, functional, kinda cool, and not too cluttered. With non-vacation residential I'm often also looking for something I can easily remodel or expand myself as the generations go on.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I enjoy building my own lots, so no need to use it for that.
    The only time I've used the gallery was to randomize sims that I thought were interesting and edited them to use in my game.
    I gotta a couple of sims out of it that I really liked. I like making my own sims too, but sampling from the gallery can give you some unique DNA to create sims you probably wouldn't normally make.
    10-23-16_10-21-04nbspPM.png

10-23-16_10-20-44nbspPM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    WoWDiva92WoWDiva92 Posts: 111 Member
    @LaBlue0314 I have created a series called "Starting out in Style" the homes all fully decorated and are under 20k. I have never used one of the existing homes. I thought that might turn people off to redecorate and upload. I love homes in the gallery that are detailed with that cozy homie feel to them. Have a great day. And thanks for starting this thread @phantasmkiss :)
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited July 2018
    The gallery in its current state frustrates me a great deal, so I don't use it very often. When I do, I toggle follower builds only. The reason why I follow the builders I do is because they all put extraordinary attention to detail in their builds. I don't know how to describe exactly what that means.. I like builds where I can look at it and see that the person who made it must've put a lot of time and thought into it. (Mostly because I'm too lazy and don't have the time to do all that myself)

Also, looking pretty isn't enough for me. I need the build to be logical. I can't have those fake yachts or those nightclubs that look like giant boomboxes. They're awfully creative and looking at them is like looking at art, but I don't necessarily want to play in a piece of art.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Yes, I like things to be playable. I get picky over where bedrooms are in relation to living spaces, because I want it to be easy to see into a building and find my Sims at a glance. So "logical" makes sense to me.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Depends on what I am looking for really. In my new save, I've been primarly searching and downloading all kinds of varied townie groups of the Gallery to fill my worlds with. I am only playing with one household in that save so I haven't gone any househunting yet and I remodelled Willow Creek's nightclub into a restaurant.

In my old save I have primarly been downloading buildings for various purposes. I can't build to save my life so I am dependent upon the Gallery and the great talent that recide there. My searches are varied; from looking for that just perfect house for a certain household to looking for a type of house to fit a certain theme. For instance the other day I looked for a house for the Hallow Slough lot in Willow Creek (accross from the Goth house) that would fit with the kind of style that are already on the adjcent lots, Umbrage Manor and Parkshore.

New Crest is now filled with varied community lots along with one residential area. The residential area has a big apartment block and the rest of the lots have a modern looking houses to compliment that building.

I also went on a search and download spree for Oasis Springs that would fit with the Hacienda type houses that are found in Skyward Palms, where the Caliente household is located. I wanted more consistency for that world and found that kind of housing for the rest of the hoods in that world, even replaced housings in Parched Prospect and in the newbie area Bedrock Strait (but I left Zest's trailer though).

Then I have searched for some really nice restaurants, like a western type restaurant and an icecream parlour for Oasis and a restaurant that fits in with Willow Creek commercial district that I turned into a vegetable/vegan type bistro.

I also have downloaded buildings and even shells of buildings with the purpose of building upon and remodel to fit my purpose. That is how I found my BFF apartment building and my community center.

Soon I plan on finding a bowling ally that fits better within the Hacienda theme in Oasis as the one I already have found and placed next to the Rattlesnake Juice bar isn't suitable. If I can't find any suitable bowling alley I will download a Hacienda type house and remodel it into a bowling alley.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2018
    I find myself searching for restaurants a lot. The worlds need more of them, and I don't enjoy building them.

Also, one BR starter homes and bowling alleys.
  • Options
    VenessaVeeVenessaVee Posts: 187 Member
    I usually search for modern one story homes usually 2 bedroom or more. I'm really into one story homes at the moment but haven't really found much that I like.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited July 2018
    Let's see some of my recent downloads to get an idea:
    • Myshuno Botanical Gardens (SpecterCody) - I wanted to build my own botanical garden and was looking what others did. I ended up downloading a couple to see them in game and then settled for this one. It was better than what I could have built and even that would have been a huge project...
    • The Farm (nikkamore) - I also wanted to build a farm, so the same thing happened as above. Although I need to edit this one a lot for my purposes, the layout was so creative that I had to get it.
    • Wild West Saloon (dariakatefina) - I was looking for a new style for Brindleton Bay. Didn't really get enough results for this one, but downloaded a couple.
    • Crag Reverie Castle (jm00re123) - Just checking up some castle/ruins buildings.
    • Futuristic Bachelor (mmfliflet) - I wanted a completely new style for Windenburg modern district and found a bunch of suitable homes this being one of them.

I go with the looks first, it needs to look good in the world. Of course the layout has to be logical, but many other things I can fix myself. Sometimes I spend a lot of time removing extra clutter, lights under bushes etc. - but only if I really like the lot. I don't really like to redecorate, so the overall style has to please me. Generally I'm very picky about residential lots, but if I want a specific style that I can't make myself then I will give it a go.
    Post edited by musteni on
  • Options
    LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    I mostly search for additional Sims to fill up my world and create a better gene pool. I also search for restaurants and cafes to replace existing like buildings.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Mostly I look for homes that are remolded homes of the ones that are already in the game, but kept simple, and not a ton of clutter all over the place. I don't mind some, because it adds that lived in look. One thing that turns me off to a home is if it has way too many lights per room. I've seen some where, there were some where between 10 to 20 lights in a single room, and every room was like that.

This. Also if I fancy bringing a new household into my game I'll select one from the gallery.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    sometimes I download lots, but always end up re doing them. I have my game set to fill empty houses, but I also like to do this myself. I send a sim to an empty house and do download from gallery. then I go visit, these sims live in houses my poor sims cant afford. lol but I like to see my own expensive houses lived in, with a few things my sims can't yet afford, like a nice big telly. Then I get curious and go play the family I just downloaded.
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    I do a lot of my own building, but I particularly look for starter homes built by others that look better than what the game has to offer, but without a lot of clutter. I went on a spree lately and downloaded a lot of homes by one certain builder for my new Seasons save. I download a lot of restaurants and bars because I can't ever seem to have enough.

One thing I'm searching for now that I haven't found yet is a community build for the big lot on Windenburg Island, maybe a park or something that fits in with the area. I love that lot but don't want to plop a big house on it.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I've been reading the Things Builders Do that Annoy You thread and it got me thinking about something similar:

What do you search for in the Gallery? What kind of lots do you download the most?

Do you want starters that are prettier than the ones in-game? One that have enough space to stay in for generations? Are you looking for more variety for second homes? For legacies? Backdrops for machinima? Do you want a style or a theme that doesn't exist in the game?

I build a lot in the game but when I don't build something and go to the gallery...

I normally play vampires and aliens. Vampires a little more than aliens and hardly ever humans. Everything I look for has to be Vampire Friendly. I don't do legacies personally. I don't do household of more than 4 or 5 usually and I don't normally have kids, babies and toddlers in the game. I usually use MCCC to cheat in funds right away and start them off in an empty lot and from there move them to their second home or if I like the area enough start building or find something unique in the gallery. I try to keep a similar architecture style in the areas they are in which I'll download a home or bar or other types of builds. I'll also download something I know would take me at least 3 weeks to build a similar style build (Gothic, Frank Evert Lloyd Wright, Art Neeuvo, Industrial, Art Deco, postmodern, etc.).

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    I will look for specific house styles (e.g. craftsman, Queen Anne). Sometimes when I can't be bothered to create my own, I'll search for community lots.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I usually look depending on what I'm trying to play with theme wise.. so if I'm setting up a world based on a tv show, book or video game I look for the builds using that name or theme and then switch to hashtags. If I can't find something that way I look for the architectural style. I'm not really looking for replicas because whatever I play has to fit and be playable in the sims world.
    Once I find something I check to see if it's been play-tested and if it hasn't I brace myself and often download anyway, especially if I'm not finding much through my search and I haven't already ruled it out for some other reason. For instance the stop stealing hashtags tend to bug me, not because I plan on stealing but it's just dramatic to me so I rarely download those... I will but only if I'm not finding much.
    I look for playable venues (especially restaurants) that aren't huge or MOO crowded.. because I like to see and find my sims easily also the bigger and more elaborate and stuffed the build is the more likely my game is to lag. Also related to that I try to keep an eye on the price also if it's crazy expensive it's probably not going in my game.. again it seems to create lag if there is just too much going on.
    I also often look it up by the type of skills or character I want to make. So I might look up garden home or underground scienc lair.. or any other words that come to mind to help me find the build I want.
    Personally I think the gallery is glutted with general starters... I search by price and build style at this point when looking for one.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    homes and sims
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »

When I do a remodel (since I'm not a good builder), I use the Night setting for time of day -- that way I can see how well the light covers the room and if I need to place extras or use a light that might cost more but gives better coverage.

For me, it depends on the situation. I've been remaking a few of my worlds just for fun, so with Oasis Springs I have an Eichler/MidCentury Modern neighborhood, and I found some beautiful Tuscan-inspired builds so the rich area up by Arid Ridge is now my Tuscan neighborhood (plus a beautiful spa that fits the area).

I also look for venues, especially restaurants since I can't get the hang of them. I do have one I made which is a remodel of the Rattlesnake Juice Bar (added the kitchen to a basement and built a set of stairs). Still need to playtest it and my Old Salt House Ice Arena; might do that in my next game session. I'll change the menu as needed -- I found one really nice restaurant that I placed in San Myshuno where the gym was (I've got a gym where Rooftop Treble was because I didn't really need three karaoke bars) and made the menu all the City Living recipes to make it easier for my Sims to find them -- and the outfits for the staff -- I downloaded a restaurant I placed in Granite Falls where the campground is/was; I have the cooks and waitstaff in explorer type outfits, and the hosts in bear costumes. :D

I have no objection to freerealestate if I'm placing households just for background purposes that I don't plan to play actively, but my own Sims I'd rather they earn their way. I usually start out single Sims in apartments in San Myshuno (sometimes as teens) then work their way up the ladder of success.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited July 2018
    So_Money wrote: »
    I find myself searching for restaurants a lot. The worlds need more of them, and I don't enjoy building them.

Also, one BR starter homes and bowling alleys.

I try to put one restaurant in each world. I have the Sunny Side Diner in Willow Creek because it suits the "family" theme I get from that world. Oasis Springs has my La Cucina restaurant (servng Mexican and Selvadoradan foods) which replaced Hogan's Burger Bar (with Seasons it was a bit open to the elements). Newcrest has Chez Llama which is my formal restaurant with all the experimental dishes. Uptown Eats with all the CL recipes is in San Myshuno. Windenburg has The Diving Pelican seafood restaurant down on the docks. And the Salty Paws Saloon in Brindleton Bay is The Greenery with an all vegetarian menu for my veggie Sims.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member

I build a lot of regular, ordinary homes myself (smaller stuff), so I usually download those really big, elaborate lots that have tons of cool little design features, like 'Blekinge Sweden' and 'Old Japanese Village' (both by Simoniona), the Vampire Diaries house (by Xhexenia1), 'The Block' by Melcstro, and others - there are some truly amazing builds in the gallery. I love lots of details, and I know how much time (a LOT) it takes to build something like that. :)
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Options
    keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    Ahaha! Does this have to be lot specific? I mostly use the Gallery to download sims since I don't like doing their outfits, etc. I like to save them as NPC townies in my world and move them into homes I build. I like the not-so-perfect non-barbie look. Like, I like some character in my sims' faces -or outfits. (Big nose, prominent chin, droopy eyes -SOMETHING interesting) I don't want super-models! (At all!)
    I usually want families of two to five, but it's really hard to find a non-barbied family. So, I often have to resort to downloading singles and making a family out of them. If anyone has any suggestions of a simmer who does stuff like this normally, I'm all ears! <3
  • Options
    RainbowSimQueenRainbowSimQueen Posts: 1,227 Member
    Legacy Homes
  • Options
    JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,966 Member
    I play my own houses, I like downloading builds of a certain style or theme for dumping SIMs and then I can go visit them and explore the lots. This is especially in a play style like my 100 baby challenge that has been going on since 2015 and we are at baby 19 still a toddler. However I have remade all of the worlds with some of mine and some of others builds and adult children get their own ad hock story progression.

I also like to download all sorts of venues especially to fit in with a theme, this could be parks, pools, roller rink bars, bowling restaurants whatever works. I love building libraries but also download some. It’s nice in a long game to make fun and unusual maps and revamp them periodically. I created a WC and OS where all the lots had an eco theme from houses to cafes to gyms and parks all with other peoples builds and its really neat. Windenberg in that save is totally boho and the spice district in SM is really little India with a gorgeous restaurant and Festival of Lights park.

I download and use a lot of art in my builds.

I also download to admire and study builds that blow my mind. I really appreciate the creativity in the gallery and follow many fantastic builders so I want to download their stuff to support them.
  • Options
    BelongtoLCMSBelongtoLCMS Posts: 125 Member
    I mostly build for myself and my kids. When I do look for builds, it depends on what I need. I put in the specific description words for what I want. Most times my searches are number of bedrooms for residential.