Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The lack of Gender Equality in Sims 4.

KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
When I started playing The Sims, the game was called a “Life Simulation”, but Sims 4 makes it look like a doll house game.
I came through this topic to illuminate a fact that has been irritating me over the years. For each SP, GP and EP the male sims receive much less content than the female sims. As an example, there are almost 170 hairs for women, while for men there are at most 95 hairstyles. And I'm not even going to waste my time counting each piece of clothing, when you just have to visualize the CAS to see a huge gap between them. Why Male Sims have less clothing and hairstyle then the Female Sims, and how the producers can fix that?
Probably most of the simmers are women, but that doesnt mean they are only going to play with female characters. I am myself a man and i play with male, female and non-binary sims all the time. The fact that i am a man doesnt limite me to enjoy playing only with sims of my gender, but i miss being able to recreate myself in the game. What is the phrase I read between these lines? Because I am a man, i am not allowed to care for my appearence? I am not able to find a hairstyle remotely similar to mine in the game. And what about the beards? If we get one each year, its too much!
Every male clothing piece look way to similar and I can see why. Sims 4 producers seem to be focusing not only in getting fashion trends in the game for CAS, but the majority of the objects follow that same rule. Makes sense for the game to try and be time accurate to the real world, but man... My father has some pieces of clothing in his wardrobe from every single year that he has been alive, from the 60s to today. Every time i amo n the streets i can see man and women wearing clothes and hairstyles that doont match the modern fashion trends, but because they like them. And I miss that in the game.
Every premade sims in the game looks rich, modern, fashion and unrealisticly pretty. The Sims 4 producers are trying way to hard to make things follow the fashion trends, and its making everything artificial. Not only do women get maximum attention in the game, as children and other stages of life have much less even than men. Of course, it's no problem for a man to play with dolls, the problem here is the lack of representativeness and realism. Please, Sims 4 producers put content in the game that is in equity for not only both genres, but for all ages.

Comments

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    edited May 2018
    Your male sims can wear anything your female sims can wear.

Here's a guy in a 'womens' top, wit a 'female' hairstyle and necklace
    tumblr_p2xpvg5INA1v2n804o1_540.png

Here's a scary vampire king... completely in 'female' attire.
    tumblr_p05shuSWzU1v2n804o1_540.png

Womens clothing (and hair, and makeup), or goth guy clubwear?
    tumblr_ovjyveSwz01v2n804o2_540.png

Womens clothing, or hipster guy?
    tumblr_os6ram0TZF1v2n804o1_540.png

... I use that pose too much :/

Post edited to remove baiting comment. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    So true male Sims get nothing in this game rarely do we see new beard styles I'm so desperate to see normal styles you actually see people wear. The female Sims get double or more in every single pack even in the toddler pack the girls got double the clothes and hair styles when both were equally desperately need new content. Also the gender option is garbage the female clothes look just that on the males horrible even suggesting that makes up for getting hardly any content for men.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    poo.
    Double post

• Options
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    They all look good by the way, just not the look I'm thinking of when I think we need more mens clothing options :)
    We need more clothing options in general. More for kids, more for toddlers, more for elders. More that is more unisex.

• Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited May 2018
    Mens clothing is lacking horribly. And toddler hair and clothing is ridiculous. Should have way more by now. Theres like 6 hairstyles for both sexes and only one decent one out of the batch.
  • Options
    SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    Mens clothing is lacking horribly. And toddler hair and clothing is ridiculous. Should have way more by now. Theres like 6 hairstyles for both sexes and only one decent one out of the batch.

As someone who refuses to use CC and mods, I go a little more insane with envy every time I see CC toddler hair that's a miniature version of an adult hairstyle.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    @Movotti I think you'd have a better point with your Sims if you didn't use the most effeminate poses you could find. :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    @SimQueenie9 :D I don't like to use cc. I just don't. I've tried it and I just...i can't. But I don't always like the adult hair on toddlers. At least there are a lot of options for the toddler cc hair . But the cc clothing for toddlers is so bad, ya might as well have none <3
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    What I'd love more for men in the game would be more facial hair options and body hair options. Would be so amazing but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    When I started playing The Sims, the game was called a “Life Simulation”, but Sims 4 makes it look like a doll house game.
    I came through this topic to illuminate a fact that has been irritating me over the years. For each SP, GP and EP the male sims receive much less content than the female sims. As an example, there are almost 170 hairs for women, while for men there are at most 95 hairstyles. And I'm not even going to waste my time counting each piece of clothing, when you just have to visualize the CAS to see a huge gap between them. Why Male Sims have less clothing and hairstyle then the Female Sims, and how the producers can fix that?
    Probably most of the simmers are women, but that doesnt mean they are only going to play with female characters. I am myself a man and i play with male, female and non-binary sims all the time. The fact that i am a man doesnt limite me to enjoy playing only with sims of my gender, but i miss being able to recreate myself in the game. What is the phrase I read between these lines? Because I am a man, i am not allowed to care for my appearence? I am not able to find a hairstyle remotely similar to mine in the game. And what about the beards? If we get one each year, its too much!
    Every male clothing piece look way to similar and I can see why. Sims 4 producers seem to be focusing not only in getting fashion trends in the game for CAS, but the majority of the objects follow that same rule. Makes sense for the game to try and be time accurate to the real world, but man... My father has some pieces of clothing in his wardrobe from every single year that he has been alive, from the 60s to today. Every time i amo n the streets i can see man and women wearing clothes and hairstyles that doont match the modern fashion trends, but because they like them. And I miss that in the game.
    Every premade sims in the game looks rich, modern, fashion and unrealisticly pretty. The Sims 4 producers are trying way to hard to make things follow the fashion trends, and its making everything artificial. Not only do women get maximum attention in the game, as children and other stages of life have much less even than men. Of course, it's no problem for a man to play with dolls, the problem here is the lack of representativeness and realism. Please, Sims 4 producers put content in the game that is in equity for not only both genres, but for all ages.

Oh well its not that big of a problem?
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • Options
    @Leahmiller2006 I think males not having many good fashion options is a big problem.
  • Options
    foussifoussi Posts: 642 Member
    I agree with OP
    The lack of clothes and hair for males makes me so angry.
    The new packs didn't even give facial hair or shoes.
    I have more cc clothes, hair than the game itself has.
  • Options
    YannoliYannoli Posts: 48 Member
    I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel as though traditionally male clothing in any reality is very limited. Male clothing barely has any variety whereas female have more of a variety. You get what I mean?
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited May 2018
    More options would be great. Though I must say I'm seeing everyone saying that the clothes and hair in the game now are too fashionable and modern and I'm.. not seeing that at all :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    What @Yannoli said. Male fashion in the real world is limited, and that naturally will extend into the game. Men's fashion in the last century has gotten more and more simplified, less interesting, and more boring. When men's fashion in general doesn't go anywhere, when it's transferred into the game it reflects reality.

Not saying it's good, because it's not. Just that fashion for men in general is so dull. There are only so many ways to wear a blazer over a t-shirt. That said, having an equal amount to choose from between the 'male' and 'female' options would be nice, but I almost always tick off the gender options, anyway.

I just want fun clothing for males. Fun colors! Fun cuts and bold patterns!

Also...body hair! For all genders would be great. So great. I just. Need it.
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    This has been one of the more annoying problems throughout the series imo. I tend to play females most the time since I am female, but when I decide to play a legacy or anything of the sort all of the males in the family end up with similar styles due to the lack of options, and then it's even more divided by the lack of options that I feel actually look good. And while I rely on CC a lot even most CC is made for females :p

I know it's made slightly less worse in TS4 thanks to the clothing having no gender boundaries now, but it mostly only helps with hair for me. Most of the female clothing is too feminine for the way I like to dress males.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Irl my brother's wardrobe consists mainly of 4 similar looking jeans, two dress pants, T-shirts....and more T-shirts that look the same. Hubby has shirts that only vary in color and some subtle designs.. Male clothing is pretty limited IRL too is what I'm trying to say.
    Maybe you could try helping the devs figure out what kind of male clothing you'd like to see in game by posting pictures or suggestions?
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Irl my brother's wardrobe consists mainly of 4 similar looking jeans, two dress pants, T-shirts....and more T-shirts that look the same. Hubby has shirts that only vary in color and some subtle designs.. Male clothing is pretty limited IRL too is what I'm trying to say.
    Maybe you could try helping the devs figure out what kind of male clothing you'd like to see in game by posting pictures or suggestions?

Maybe they need to expand where they look for ideas? Maybe take a road trip across America and see what people do, wear and how their hair is combed. Maybe just watching a few sitcoms limits their views of what the rest of America is wearing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member

IRL as a woman I'm the same. Individuals may have preferred styles but as a whole I think there is a wide range between individuals. There was a really good thread a while back in feedback that @LeGardePourpre started.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited June 2018
    Hey guys, thanks for all of your comments.
    I play with non-binary sims since the update came out, but, as someone said, some of the clothes, specially shirts and tops, look weird as they were made for sims with breasts. I am gay (and even if i wasnt) i like to use some feminine clothing, but in real life i can choose to buy those that dont look weird in my body.
    And, sometimes i jsut want to play with a more masculine sim, or a common straight guy, or a fashion male model... But there is not a big variety of clothing.

Well, thanks for your comment. I was going to suggest some things, but i thought that it would get to big,
    1 - Maybe they can start looking at what they designed in previous games. Even Sims 1 can give them some inspiration.
    2 - Someone suggested that the devs should do a road trip throughout the USA, but i suggest that they look not only in America, since Sims is played throughout the entire globe. Look at how the kpop artists wear, or french guys, or african guys... There is a world for them to take inspiration.
    3 - They should travel not only trough space, but trough time too. I still have clothes from the early 2000s (even tho i am not a kid anymore, i didnt grew that much after teenagehood lol), as i mentioned my father have clothes from 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s... And if you look really deep into bazaars and things like that, you can find clothes from even further, although they are more rare.
    BeJaWa wrote: »

IRL as a woman I'm the same. Individuals may have preferred styles but as a whole I think there is a wide range between individuals. There was a really good thread a while back in feedback that @LeGardePourpre started.

I am in a hurry now, so i cant link pictures or write a extensive list, so... What do you guys want, but dont have in the game? Post pictures and clothes, links from instagram accounts and things like that in the @LeGardePoupre s thread Thanks again!
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I agree. The limited options for males make it difficult not to have males all dressed basically the same. And the things that are a bit different are very hipster-esque - not really my taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top