Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating dorms TS2U

Maniac4uManiac4u Posts: 51 Member
edited May 2018 in The Sims 2
Hey Simmers! I recently looked into a cheat on how to "zone" my own created dorm (TS2U) and the very 1st time it worked with all the necessary furnishings like the cafeteria counter tops, a sink, the fridge, a garbage can and sprinklers but after my sims graduated and I went back with new college sims and the place was gone! I created a new dorm and input "changelotzoning dorm" with the same furnishings and when I move my Sim in, it only gives me the build/buy options. No gameplay option. Also this time I created an in door pool. Could that be the reason? Am I using the wrong cheat code? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!
Post edited by Maniac4u on

Comments

• Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Was the new college Sims from the same main neighborhood?
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Nope. I went to Veronaville and started playing with the Capps and Monty. Why would that matter though?
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    @Maniac4u with sims 2 builds you create on lots in the different neighborhoods and sub-hoods, like your dorm for the university, don't transfer when you start in a new main neighborhood. So whenever you load into a main neighborhood you never played your basically starting over. If you wanted to place the dorm you built into the university hood there is a way. You would need to go back to the neighborhood you created the dorm in and move the lot to the bin, if i am remembering correctly. I can go in sims 2 tomorrow and double check and if i am wrong can give proper instructions to help as it is 12am here and I should really be in bed lol.

oh and the changelotzoning cheat can be tricky did you make sure that you had entered boolprop testingcheatsenabled true from the neighborhood screen, this is how you enable cheats for sims 2, once it's enabled go onto your lot and enter the changelotzoning cheat than leave the lot and it should work, again this is if I am remembering correctly. i'll double check this for you too tomorrow.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    edited May 2018
    Did you include the special dorm doors? You know, these where sim's picture goes to.
    That is strange. My custom-built dorms usually work.
    Do you play The Sims 2 through the discs or through Origin with Ultimate Collection?
    Maniac4u wrote: »

Nope. I went to Veronaville and started playing with the Capps and Monty. Why would that matter though?

That changes everything: Each main-neighborhood has different sub-neighborhoods. Doing changes (like playing with sims, building etc) in one main-neighborhood's sub-neighborhood doesn't mean that all the main-neighborhoods' sub-neighborhoods will have the change. If you move the sim from one main-neighborhood to other (that can be done by moving a house with residents to the lot bin), you will corrupt both of the neighborhoods. The neighborhood corruption is explained in this forum post. My point is that having all the main-neighborhoods share the sub-neighborhoods would cause problems after problems.
    You can put the lot in the lot bin when it's not occupied and put it in that neighborhood.
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Did you include the special dorm doors? You know, these where sim's picture goes to.
    Do you play The Sims 2 through the discs or through Origin with Ultimate Collection?

That changes everything: Each main-neighborhood has different sub-neighborhoods. Doing changes (like playing with sims, building etc) in one main-neighborhood's sub-neighborhood doesn't mean that all the main-neighborhoods' sub-neighborhoods will have the change. If you move the sim from one main-neighborhood to other (that can be done by moving a house with residents to the lot bin), you will corrupt both of the neighborhoods. The neighborhood corruption is explained in this forum post. My point is that having all the main-neighborhoods share the sub-neighborhoods would cause problems after problems.
    You can put the lot in the lot bin when it's not occupied and put it in that neighborhood.

I built a new dorm in a different university ( le academie le tour) for the sims from veronaville unlike my 1st build it was in siesta tech with sims from belladonna cove. I tried adding the dorm to the bin but in sims 2 you can't do that or least for me it didn't have the option, only to save the file. When I used the code to zone the lot, there's a sun that shows up when you highlight the dorm but upon moving my sims in, there's no gameplay option, only the build and buy. I'm using the physical disc.

• Options

Oh and yes I added the dorm doors. The whole thing worked the very 1st time when I built a dorm in siesta tech. It's strange how this one doesn't.
  • Options
    cmbaker16 wrote: »
    @Maniac4u with sims 2 builds you create on lots in the different neighborhoods and sub-hoods, like your dorm for the university, don't transfer when you start in a new main neighborhood. So whenever you load into a main neighborhood you never played your basically starting over. If you wanted to place the dorm you built into the university hood there is a way. You would need to go back to the neighborhood you created the dorm in and move the lot to the bin, if i am remembering correctly. I can go in sims 2 tomorrow and double check and if i am wrong can give proper instructions to help as it is 12am here and I should really be in bed lol.

oh and the changelotzoning cheat can be tricky did you make sure that you had entered boolprop testingcheatsenabled true from the neighborhood screen, this is how you enable cheats for sims 2, once it's enabled go onto your lot and enter the changelotzoning cheat than leave the lot and it should work, again this is if I am remembering correctly. i'll double check this for you too tomorrow.

Yes, I used the boolprop code in the neighborhood. I'll try it again.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I built a new dorm in a different university ( le academie le tour) for the sims from veronaville unlike my 1st build it was in siesta tech with sims from belladonna cove. I tried adding the dorm to the bin but in sims 2 you can't do that or least for me it didn't have the option, only to save the file. When I used the code to zone the lot, there's a sun that shows up when you highlight the dorm but upon moving my sims in, there's no gameplay option, only the build and buy. I'm using the physical disc.

You mean that sun that shows up due to being summer on this lot or the plumbob?
    Saving the lot to the lot bin must be done in the neighborhood view. Go to Lots tab and click on Move Lot to Lot Bin button (That one with house with an arrow). First you should move the household out. In the neighborhood view, click on Family Bin button and choose Move Family Out (Two students icon with an arrow).
    The main problem is that you can't access the live mode in an occupied dorm. I'd suggest moving the household out and trying the different dorm and seeing if that works.
    The sun that shows up indicates that the season is summer. Did the sun appear before you rezoned it to dorm? If not, you may have started building it from community lot. You need to start from residental lot as mailbox and trash can is required and cannot be bought from the buy mode.
    According to The Sims Wiki's Avoiding Corruptions, dissapearing lots may be a sign of corruption. Think, what may you have done to cause it. The corruption is very easy to happen...
    That is all I can suggest right now. I unfortunately cannot suggest repairing the game through Origin, but maybe uninstalling and reinstalling can help sometimes.
  • Options
    @Maniac4u I went into the game and threw together a dorm. I made sure to put in the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true before starting my dorm than I placed a empty lot down and built the dorm as I wanted it to be when I was done I entered changeLotZoning dorm and I left the lot. When I clicked on the dorm I created from the neighborhood view, it told me rooms were available. I moved the sim in and was able to claim a room and play. If you still have a sim living in the dorm you may have to move them out to try inputting the cheat again.

and to save the dorm you already have you need to go into lots and houses, select move to lots and houses bin, select the build you want to move and you'll get a pop up asking if you want to do it and select yes... or no if you click the wrong one, and that should allow your dorm/builds to be placed in the other neighborhoods.

other than this I can't really suggest anything else as the only time i've gotten no gameplay option with a dorm was if my sim graduated and was sent to the main neighborhood, but that's only if the sim that graduated is the only controllable sim in the dorm.

I hope my little bit of knowledge helps and if not hopefully someone else's shared knowledge does.

• Options
    AAqMqnx.jpg

This is the "Sun" I was talking about. It shows up after I put the code to change the lot to a dorm. The other premade dorms also have it.

wuNVjPS.jpg

Premade Dorm

FnXK51z.jpg

CVH2rdI.jpg

RzTxKww.jpg

See the build/buy mode? This is what shows even after I move in my sims. There's no live option.
  • Options
    Idk anymore. I'm just going to give up at this point *sigh* Thanks for everyone's help though.
  • Options
    @Maniac4u I went into the game and threw together a dorm. I made sure to put in the boolprop testingcheatsenabled true before starting my dorm than I placed a empty lot down and built the dorm as I wanted it to be when I was done I entered changeLotZoning dorm and I left the lot. When I clicked on the dorm I created from the neighborhood view, it told me rooms were available. I moved the sim in and was able to claim a room and play. If you still have a sim living in the dorm you may have to move them out to try inputting the cheat again.

and to save the dorm you already have you need to go into lots and houses, select move to lots and houses bin, select the build you want to move and you'll get a pop up asking if you want to do it and select yes... or no if you click the wrong one, and that should allow your dorm/builds to be placed in the other neighborhoods.

other than this I can't really suggest anything else as the only time i've gotten no gameplay option with a dorm was if my sim graduated and was sent to the main neighborhood, but that's only if the sim that graduated is the only controllable sim in the dorm.

I hope my little bit of knowledge helps and if not hopefully someone else's shared knowledge does.

I really appreciate you going out of your way. I'll try to building a new dorm and start again. Maybe the indoor pool is messing it up?
  • Options
    oh yea i have never had that happen i need to leave for a bit but i'll look into and see what i can find.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Did you start the lot as a Residential or Community? It looked like there's a Community phone in the front and I don't think the game will change it to the mailbox. You have to start it as a Residential if you want mail/bills and being able to live there.

Maybe you started the other one as a Residential and this one as a Community and that's why there's no Live mode? I don't know... I'm testing it. :)

Yep- start it as a Residential. :)

• Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Did you start the lot as a Residential or Community? It looked like there's a Community phone in the front and I don't think the game will change it to the mailbox. You have to start it as a Residential if you want mail/bills and being able to live there.

Maybe you started the other one as a Residential and this one as a Community and that's why there's no Live mode? I don't know... I'm testing it. :)

Ohhh is that it really? Yea, I started it as a community lot. Makes sense! Thanks, I'll try it now.
  • Options

YEEESSS!!!! It worked! I rebuilt the same thing on a residential lot. Thank goodness I posted the pics and you caught the community phone! Thank you tons!
  • Options
    @Rflong7 nice eye! i didn't even notice the phone @Maniac4u I'm so glad you were able to get your dorm working.
  • Options
    @Rflong7 nice eye! i didn't even notice the phone @Maniac4u I'm so glad you were able to get your dorm working.

Right! Me too thank you also for your help :smile:
  • Options
    I'm glad I could help. :mrgreen:
  • Options

YEEESSS!!!! It worked! I rebuilt the same thing on a residential lot. Thank goodness I posted the pics and you caught the community phone! Thank you tons!

Aha! So the issue was caused by missing mailbox and trashcan.
    But glad this issue is solved. I'll remember to ask that first. Here's a reminder for the future:
    Which lot type should you start with when building a special lot:
    Dorm-Residental
    Secret Society-Residental
    Hotel-Community
    Secret Vacation Lot (Bigfoot)-Start with residental, change to community for payphone.
    Secret Vacation Lot (Other)-Community
    ApartmentBase-Residental

Other types that help cheat code gives are not recommended (by me). But yeah, enjoy your new custom-built dorm!
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited May 2018

But glad this issue is solved. I'll remember to ask that first. Here's a reminder for the future:
    Dorm-Residental
    Hotel-Community
    Secret Vacation Lot (Bigfoot)-Start with residental, change to community for payphone.
    ApartmentBase-Residental

Other types that help cheat code gives are not recommended (by me). But yeah, enjoy your new custom-built dorm!

Actually the issue was because she had set it as a community lot when she had built it rather than a residential and using the lotzoning cheat. If you make your own apartments,hotels or dorms it's always best to start them as a residential lot but always use boolprop testingcheatsenabled true or (on) before you enter the lot and build. After your done don't save and exit the lot yet as your going to need to change the zoning type before you save and exit.

Also keeping a copy of that lot in the bin is helpful for the future.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    Hi :)

There is no need for the testing code to be on when making a dorm and in using the changezoning code. :(
  • Options
    BMSO wrote: »

Dorm-Residental
    Hotel-Community
    ApartmentBase-Residental

Actually the issue was because she had set it as a community lot when she had built it rather than a residential and using the lotzoning cheat. If you make your own apartments,hotels or dorms it's always best to start them as a residential lot but always use boolprop testingcheatsenabled true or (on) before you enter the lot and build. After your done don't save and exit the lot yet as your going to need to change the zoning type before you save and exit.

I always built hotels on community lots and they worked. Hotels don't need mailboxes and residental trash cans. I have built many hotels before.
    Only residental lots generate mailbox and trash can. In community lots, the payphone and community trash can can be bought from the build mode and are required for community lot to work (I have changed a residental to community before). Missing mailbox and trashcan is a problem that is caused by starting from the community lot. The reason is that when you move sims in, they start out next to the mailbox. As there is no mailbox, it causes the problem where the game doesn't know where to put the new sims, making the live mode inaccessible. In the other words, mailboxes are the "heart" of residental lots as residental lots, dorms and apartments require it to have the lot function properly (Yes, it has bills, but in The Sims 1, the missing mailbox can block NPCs from visiting and make the lot fail to load). While yes, your wording is correct, I still agree with my wording.
    That cheat doesn't actually require testingcheats at all. There are only few cheats that require that cheat. Only thing when the cheat makes a difference is when I delete the hotel door (causes the error message to pop up). Changing the neighborhood type does require that cheat...
    I'm sorry we get into arguments. I really don't want to get into arguments. I sometimes test things out to satisfy my curiosity and word my discoveries and ideas my own way. If your suggested things work, then that's OK.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member

Dorm-Residental
    Hotel-Community
    ApartmentBase-Residental

I always built hotels on community lots and they worked. Hotels don't need mailboxes and residental trash cans. I have built many hotels before.
    Only residental lots generate mailbox and trash can. In community lots, the payphone and community trash can can be bought from the build mode and are required for community lot to work (I have changed a residental to community before). Missing mailbox and trashcan is a problem that is caused by starting from the community lot. The reason is that when you move sims in, they start out next to the mailbox. As there is no mailbox, it causes the problem where the game doesn't know where to put the new sims, making the live mode inaccessible. In the other words, mailboxes are the "heart" of residental lots as residental lots, dorms and apartments require it to have the lot function properly (Yes, it has bills, but in The Sims 1, the missing mailbox can block NPCs from visiting and make the lot fail to load). While yes, your wording is correct, I still agree with my wording.
    That cheat doesn't actually require testingcheats at all. There are only few cheats that require that cheat. Only thing when the cheat makes a difference is when I delete the hotel door (causes the error message to pop up). Changing the neighborhood type does require that cheat...
    I'm sorry we get into arguments. I really don't want to get into arguments. I sometimes test things out to satisfy my curiosity and word my discoveries and ideas my own way. If your suggested things work, then that's OK.

Oh no it wasn't argumentative, just something I've always done plus I sort of miss read what you were saying, that's my fault.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options

Dorm-Residental
    Hotel-Community
    ApartmentBase-Residental

Oh no it wasn't argumentative, just something I've always done plus I sort of miss read what you were saying, that's my fault.

Oh well, even I have misread somethings...
    But like I said, it's Ok to suggest helpful things. I felt the need to explain further about the mailbox thing and correct some facts. It's stressful times for me for right now, so I can be little rough right now. I'm sorry about this, you don't need to blame yourself.
    Let's put that meltdown aside and go on with a day. This is the forums where everyone should feel happy in, not feel bad. :)