Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm officially tired of Sims 4, where to go from here..?

paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
About 6 months ago, I was watching this LP for a Youtuber's playthrough of their Simself's life living in a shoddy apartment in the city while striving to make it in social media. I hilariously enjoyed it so much it actually pushed me to buy TS4 digital deluxe at full price and play the base game only. I spent hours and hours playing the game, and while I had my fun with just the base game, I got tired of it faster than what I would've liked. Thus I started spending more on all those packs, little by little, and it thoroughly enhanced a lot more of my play experience, and coupled with joining this forum shortly after, My Simming habit became an obsession. Even my SO commented on my unhealthy Simming obsession! Months went by again and I started getting the feeling again, to which it eventually prompted me to start exploring mods in the next year, and that expanded my gameplay experience much more than I thought it could. Of course though, even this wouldn't last long either. Time goes by, I get a new job, and the game seems to no longer satisfy me as I would when I played it religiously before. These new packs are great here and there, but then it eventually sputters out quickly and I can't seem to want to play farther anymore. I have all these saves, and I've gotten tired of them all. I've relegated myself to just CAS now since I still find enjoyment in making Sims, but I never seem to actually play these Sims and just stay there in my library to look at.

So officially, I can say that I no longer find anything that excites me enough to continue playing Sims 4. Where do I go from here..?
Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
Post edited by paradiseplanet on

Comments

• Options
    littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    you move to the mountains and forsake technology to instead be a hermit who has mastered self-sustained living.

but for real just put the game aside for now. dabble in older iterations or entirely different games. maybe even "adult" hobbies! like. . . needlework. or crocheting. I always take a nice (sometimes LONG) break from my favorites just to do something else and eventually build up the desire to go back to it. helps that sometimes by then there's new stuff out to spice up the experience. I put TS4 aside for Overwatch then put Overwatch aside for Destiny 2 then Destiny 2 for TS4, etc etc. circle of (gaming) life. . .
    6riwm5.png
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Your best solution is to take a break. I have a few games on Xbox to break the Sims rinse and repeat. Then there is this awful thing called going outdoors and fresh air.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    When I get TS4 burnout, I either go back to TS3 or play another game. I always come back to 4 eventually. I think I stopped playing for a good year before, possibly more. My last break was about 2 months. Before that it was probably 6 months. I only recently started playing again about 3 weeks ago. I own most everything except for 3 SPs so I know that feeling. Everything feels exciting for a while and then one day everything feels stagnant to me. Taking breaks is a good thing. I think almost everybody feels that way at some point.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It happens. Sometimes you have to put it aside for months at a time and wait for something that brings you back in and intrigues you with a new story line to play out. The unfortunate thing is that most of the time the mechanics are not there to see it through how you see it in your head. There needs to be better sim dynamics. Mortal enemies should not hug and converse amicably after a fight. The traits are non-existant and really don't mean anything in this iteration.

About the only thing you can really do is play family with the white picket fence and the perfect life. I can't. So I give up on the game for long periods of time.

My hope is that they tune these sims up with better relations that suit the traits you give them and they act that way when you rotate to a different household. It bothers me when I see sims Ive created to have no-so-nice lives all huggy and happy out in the world.

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    edited March 2018
    I feel like that no matter what they add, the game will be boring unless they fix the sims themselves. They look the best of the series, but they don't play the best of the series. That was sims 2.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited March 2018
    My suggestion would be to take up crossfit. It's a lot more similar to playing the sims than one might think!
    But if you aren't interested, +1 to crotcheting. I've heard that can also be fun
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    You can do whatever your heart desires in the Sims 4. The possibilities are endless. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    If you’re looking for the game to try and fill an empty void in your life, instead of just enjoying it as a piece of entertainment, it will never deliver and always leave you feeling hollow. There were times in my teenage years when I did that with the Sims 3. I’ve got a healthy relationship with the game now - I don’t play it very often but I love it as much as ever, and I’m always checking in on the community and latest news. I know there will be times when I play the game every day for a month, and weeks when I don’t touch it and that’s OK. I think you need to find your own happy medium, decide if the game is something you’re interested in in the long term; and also address the issues or things that you think are missing in your life. :)
  • Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    My suggestion would be to take up crossfit. It's a lot more similar to playing the sims than one might think!
    But if you aren't interested, +1 to crotcheting. I've heard that can also be fun

How so? Or is this a parody comment?
  • Options
    ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    You do what ever feels right for you.
    When I get bored with TS4 or any other game, I just switch the game to something else or take a break from gaming in general.
    It's good to take a break once in a while.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Nothing wrong with taking a break. I do that with everything. I will get on a "jag" and play or focus on a hobby for weeks or months, then take breaks. I also play instruments, and some weeks I'll play every day for a couple of hours, and the next week I can't even bring myself to play a single chord. Try a different save, a different game, a different hobby. When you do return undoubtably there will be new content and you'll be inspired.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I go through periods of obsessive play also.. and sometimes casual play. It peters out with overuse or I find a new shiny (game, book, movie series ect..).

Just put it down as others are suggesting and find something to do you enjoy. I don't even think your sims will get jealous if you play and love another game for awhile. They know you'll come back in the end.

Now if only real life relationships were that open.. opps ... went to far there.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    Sim city, Cities Skyline, Final Fantasy XV, Sims 3, Sims 2, Stardew valley.

Try another game take a break and win you feel like you can try the Sims 4 again.

Getting burnout is not fun to take a break.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2018
    Ya ive been done for about...i think like 6 months? Since ive played Sims 4? Instead i bought Sims 3 for the first time and I really love it!!! I miss Sims 4's beauty but i cant get behind its playstyle. I think sims 3 sims are really ugly...at the end of the day, Sims 2 is the most fun for me!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The good thing about The Sims is that if you like you can just put it down and play another game, and come back later. I flick between games myself.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    When I get bored of all things sim related I just take break and do other things. To be completely honest, I do more on creating side than anything else. While I do play TS4 TONS more than I have with the other 3 versions combined, I still do more behind the scenes. I'll work on a few builds that I have going on and tinker around in blender. I learned how to make poses last year so I'll use my off time to help raise my skill-set and maybe be accomplish the look I am wanting for the some odd 50 unfinished poses I have. Patch time or after installing a new pack is the perfect time to work on those things as to I usually have some mod I can't play without that is broken. Then if I load up my game only to find I have broken CC that is causing an issue, I'll just close out the game and play the "find the broken stuff" another day. I have become to hate that task so much that I will actually invent reasons to use as an excuse to not have to load up my game until I have to. I removed pretty much all of CC objects and now that I'm having issues with CC CAS items, I'm about to just say the heck with it amd get rid of most of it as well.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I put TS4 down for a little over a year, and I don't play nearly as much as I was playing (which was not that much) as I was even a month ago. I haven't even play 1K hours yet and I've had the game since release day. It gets boring, FAST! I'm currently playing a legacy family, which is something I've never done, and I have mods (which I never had in TS3 at all) that help keep things interesting. I also have CC so my sims don't always look the same. I was also influenced by YT simmers to pick up and play again, so you're not alone. A lot of us get bored of TS4 quickly and take long breaks. I can literally put the game down for a year and not miss it at all.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    This is kind of a continual habit of mine, where I buy these games, play them endlessly, then suddenly I go 'welp i'm bored' and find something new to take my interest. Before Sims 4, it was Cities: Skylines. Aside from TS4, that's the game I have the second longest amount of hours in; I was playing that religiously as well, building my absolutely perfect city. No other saves in that mattered except my first, to which with lots of effort I reached a successful pop of 100k, then started finally fiddling with mods after that because I knew I would get bored of it soon. That kept my attention even longer and I started watching this Youtuber who did LP's of the game. I enjoyed them, but didn't make me keep interest in it. Then the same guy had an LP of Sims 4, and so here I am.

I also have this bad habit where I pick up this game, and then never play it again after I've gone and played enough of it. In fact, I haven't picked up Cities: Skylines since my purchase of TS4 6 months ago. I guess I haven't rediscovered my interest in it again. I don't want TS4 to be that game I'll never pick back up again. I also have TS3, and even then I played briefly and wouldn't know where to even start with where I want to go in it, so there's also that.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    This is kind of a continual habit of mine, where I buy these games, play them endlessly, then suddenly I go 'welp i'm bored' and find something new to take my interest. Before Sims 4, it was Cities: Skylines. Aside from TS4, that's the game I have the second longest amount of hours in; I was playing that relgiously as well, building my absolutely perfect city. No other saves in that mattered except my first, to which with lots of effort I reached a successful pop of 100k, then started finally fiddling with mods after that because I knew I would get bored of it soon. That kept my attention even longer and I started watching this Youtuber who did LP's of the game. I enjoyed them, but didn't make me keep interest in it. Then the same guy had an LP of Sims 4, and so here I am.

I also have this bad habit where I pick up this game, and then never play it again after I've gone and played enough of it. In fact, I haven't picked up Cities: Skylines since my purchase of TS4 6 months ago. I guess I haven't rediscovered my interest in it again. I don't want TS4 to be that game I'll never pick back up again. I also have TS3, and even then I played briefly and wouldn't know where to even start with where I want to go in it, so there's also that.

Sounds like you still got your money's worth, though.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Play the Kingdom Hearts series, or Portal 2, both are fantastic games.
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    This is kind of a continual habit of mine, where I buy these games, play them endlessly, then suddenly I go 'welp i'm bored' and find something new to take my interest. Before Sims 4, it was Cities: Skylines. Aside from TS4, that's the game I have the second longest amount of hours in; I was playing that relgiously as well, building my absolutely perfect city. No other saves in that mattered except my first, to which with lots of effort I reached a successful pop of 100k, then started finally fiddling with mods after that because I knew I would get bored of it soon. That kept my attention even longer and I started watching this Youtuber who did LP's of the game. I enjoyed them, but didn't make me keep interest in it. Then the same guy had an LP of Sims 4, and so here I am.

Sounds like you still got your money's worth, though.

Oh believe me, I got my money's worth out of C:S. All my gaming friends warned me about SimCity and how that ended up. I loved SimCity a long time ago, but its finale did not do the franchise justice. Let's hope TS4 doesn't end up the same and it continues to give me interest to play it regularly again.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    filipomel wrote: »
    Play the Kingdom Hearts series, or Portal 2, both are fantastic games.

I've never actually gotten into Kingdom Hearts before, and I might take up Portal 2 on that one. That's been one of those games that's been sitting in the back corner for a long time now.
  • Options
    ImberisImberis Posts: 99 Member
    I agree with taking a break. Sometimes I experience "Sims burnout" where I've played so much that it just isn't fun for a while, so I take a little break. It helps. There aren't quite any other games like The Sims series, so it's hard to recommend something similar. If all else fails, try going back to a previous Sims game. Try out The Sims or The Sims 2 if you haven't played those!
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited March 2018
    Most games aren't meant to be played the way we play Sims*.

Even an amazing content heavy games like Breath of the Wild or Skyrim have an end point. There's only so many things you can do and hours you can play before you reach the end point (at least until if/when they release DLC for it and not all games do release DLC). But with Sims even if you don't get all the DLC you can still play pretty much endlessly. It makes sense that you would get burned out of it and need a break or even need to stop playing it permanently after a certain point. So take a break and if you feel the urge to play a different Sims game, play a different game entirely, do something non-game related. You'll either start to feel the urge to play again or you wont and you'll find something else that catches your interest either way it's okay and healthy to move on from something when you're no longer interested. Don't feel chained to something you're not enjoying just because you put time and money into it. That's not fair to you and the enjoyment you did get out of it when you were enjoying it.

I personally find myself getting tired of all the Sims games if I play them for too long or too often. Even Sims 2 which I would classify as my favorite I get tired of it if I put too much time into it. So take a break and wait and see what comes.

(*And yes I know there are other true sandbox styled games out there that you can play endlessly like you play the Sims but but it's still a fairly small number and I know people also get burned out of playing nothing but those endlessly as well it's just human nature to want new/different things in our lives from time to time).
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @paradiseplanet

You play a different game. I have two games that I regularly play so I personally do not get burn out.