Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Do You Want More Death in Your Game?

Comments

• Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I like making a cemetery with a home for some unlucky sim that has to deal with ghosts. Part of being able to do this requires killing sims. I also like making tragic backstories for some of the sims I play as.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    OP, I don't want death exactly. The emotional deaths in TS4 are dead stupid, to be honest. However, what I want are genuine consequences. Sometimes, as in life, that leads to death.

The laundry set is an example of death done well:

If the washer is broken, best not try to fix it until your Sim mops up the water. If you can't be bothered cleaning up first, well then, stuff happens. Don't feel like cleaning out the lint trap for the dryer? Well then, stuff catches on fire. It's realistic and, from a storytelling standpoint, those things matter to me.

Right now, death is the only genuine consequence for anything in TS4. To my knowledge, Sims can't lose their job or their fortunes. Heck, unless something has changed (since I gave up using TS4's idea of game play and began using it as a photo studio), Sims can't even be demoted. Failing a chance card results in nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

For me, I guess that the possibility of death breaks up the monotony. Because nothing much else of note happens in TS4. Without my direct intervention and manipulation of events, every day is pretty much like any other.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    OP, I don't want death exactly. The emotional deaths in TS4 are dead stupid, to be honest. However, what I want are genuine consequences. Sometimes, as in life, that leads to death.

If the washer is broken, best not try to fix it until your Sim mops up the water. If you can't be bothered cleaning up first, well then, stuff happens. Don't feel like cleaning out the lint trap for the dryer? Well then, stuff catches on fire. It's realistic and, from a storytelling standpoint, those things matter to me.

Right now, death is the only genuine consequence for anything in TS4. To my knowledge, Sims can't lose their job or their fortunes. Heck, unless something has changed (since I gave up using TS4's idea of game play and began using it as a photo studio), Sims can't even be demoted. Failing a chance card results in nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

For me, I guess that the possibility of death breaks up the monotony. Because nothing much else of note happens in TS4. Without my direct intervention and manipulation of events, every day is pretty much like any other.

Wait, what? Sims can't lose their jobs or even get demoted? I did not know that. Wow this game is so sanitised and unchallenging it's unreal. Losing your job for faking a sick call or for failing to get your sims to work too many times was all part of the fun/challenge.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    RnM92 wrote: »

Wait, what? Sims can't lose their jobs or even get demoted? I did not know that. Wow this game is so sanitised and unchallenging it's unreal. Losing your job for faking a sick call or for failing to get your sims to work too many times was all part of the fun/challenge.

Yep.

Like I said, that was my experience of the game and that's one of the many reasons that I stopped playing it. Being told that my Sim had received a small performance decrease just wasn't cutting it for me.

I've resorted to taking complete control and using the "game" as anything but a game. Besides death, if anything of genuine consequence occurs, it's because I made it happen. Without me, the Sims in TS4 would keep right on standing in place and smiling, while they decided what mundane action to take next: "Oh, wait! I'll just got talk to the toilet for the thousandth time!"

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    I don't necessarily want more death. It's just that death is currently one of the few impactful and bad events that can happen. And that's the type of thing I want more of.

Basically what @Cynna said.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I need to tell you something that happened in my game, i made a sim that married with Caleb, then they had a daugther, when their daughter got married she and her future husband wanted to make a big party, so i used a community lot for that, it was a cathedral, with kitchen, bathroom, and a buffet outside (my big mistake). The wedding was in day time (another mistake), so imagine, Caleb, the bride father was a vampire, so he have lots of vampire friends that came to the party. In the wedding everything was ok, the fun part started when all of the vampires started to go outside to eat, in daytime, with sun, i was like omg, i couldn't even control Caleb anymore ahahahaha........... I was a fun and weird wedding party. So this type of thing spice up the game a bit, it was something that i didn't expect to happen, because i didn't remember that will be vampires in the party, even the brides dad.
    Reminds me of a wedding in my game once, where one of the guests, also a vampire and the half brother of my sim, suddenly grabbed his throat, reached to the sky and then collapsed, while turning into dust. Heavy music in the background, grim came and ordered the bloodred ghost into his urn. I was like this:

5ed61f14e488befec9b9f8e0bc384ccb.jpg

A few generations later one of my heirs resurrected the vampire ancestor and he lived happily ever after. That’s Sims.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Death is just as much part of the natural cycle of life, and there are many ways people can die, so why not?
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    BearflexBearflex Posts: 139 Member
    Thanks everyone for their input. I can't complain that the Sims 4 isn't real life enough. If it was too much like real life we'd all be bored to death with it. Last time I checked there are no real vampires, ghosts living as family members, resection from the dead--so not very "real". If I was interested in multi generation game play the death thing would be inevitable but then again none of us can bring a loved one back in from the dead in any form--as much as we'd like to. So I think the Sims is very much about fantasy fulfillment.
  • Options
    tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I’d like more danger in general. I don’t want my sims to die but the occasional repairman or maid might get stuck in a pool... :)

I miss the oh crap the burglar is coming and I’m too poor for an alarm! I hope he doesn’t steal my toilet! I suppose I’m looking for serious consequences to my actions.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don't even know if it's more death per say people want but also more consequences in general, especially set backs as these present more challenges and opportunities to write your story on the fly. In addition to death I'd like to see real consequences from chance cards or in game actions. For example, in the business career when you get to the point where your sim can p!at the stock market and make investments it would be awesome if a bad investment could potentially wipe you out. It would be cool if not completing homework could cause a reduction in grades that if not corrected makes progressing in your career field slower, at least to start until you prove yourself by completely your daily tasks at home every day for like an IG week, as well as some of the chance cards if you choose wrong. I have only ever seen a small performance loss on these that doesn't amount to much. A bad business investment doesn't really cost your sim in any significant way. I think it would be fun to feel like a bad move in any of the careers could have real impact on your sims. I think that's why Vampires & Parenthood were so popular. The choices you make have actual consequences in your game.
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    I want more deaths as it is the only real challenge in the game. They have made this game so easy to play now it gets boring quickly and knowing my sims could go up in flames when cooking, I start placing bets hahaha.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2018
    If the Sim is not at any risk of dying then why should I even look after them? No need to buy groceries, take them out to eat, or protect them from anything electrical without enough skills, no thrills, no chills. Might as well just turn it on and if I'm not into skill building and leveling up just for the gratification of that, then might as well walk away and forget about it, if they can't die, they don't need me at all.

ETA: Boy, things have changed in Sim Nation. The most popular thread used to be a thread asking (with each new release) what would be the new death, and color of the ghost...now it's what new hair did we get. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    tinacolada00 the buglers added an element of uncertainty and a the repo man. I liked my Sims protecting their stuff and catching them before they escapes and the police got there. They cut them out, I've read, because it causes anxiety in some players--they felt violated. If you have the Vampire pack they can just about bite whomever they want from what I understand your Sims can't fight back and there isn't very much you can do to stop them--as the author of a video on the topic put it I think that's worse. In preceding versions of the game, I'm pretty much sure the vamps had to get permission to bite their victims. I guess there a garlic something or other you can get if you research vampire lore or something--it's been the biggest deterrent for me getting the vampires pack.
  • Options
    Vanpelt81--I know you can download ghosts from the gallery--can you create them in create-a-sim as well? I'm not sure.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Bearflex wrote: »
    tinacolada00 the buglers added an element of uncertainty and a the repo man. I liked my Sims protecting their stuff and catching them before they escapes and the police got there. They cut them out, I've read, because it causes anxiety in some players--they felt violated. If you have the Vampire pack they can just about bite whomever they want from what I understand your Sims can't fight back and there isn't very much you can do to stop them--as the author of a video on the topic put it I think that's worse. In preceding versions of the game, I'm pretty much sure the vamps had to get permission to bite their victims. I guess there a garlic something or other you can get if you research vampire lore or something--it's been the biggest deterrent for me getting the vampires pack.

I wouldn't mind the repo man back either. I don't get anxious or anything when he showed up but I wouldn't mind them waiting until say the next billing session that you didn't pay to do it. To me that would make more sense also time wise. And who said they cut them out because it caused anxiety. Did those working on the game say that or was it another source?
    Also I would like burglers back but the burgler alarm should work from inside the house too.. or if you have one anywhere on the lot.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    kmhs73kmhs73 Posts: 4 New Member
    I think The Sims is one of those franchises that straddle the game-toy divide. Roughly, games have obstacles and limitations, while toys are vehicles of exploration and imagination.

Some people like The Sims to be like a puppet show or dolls where the lives of the sims are more carefully scripted. Wholeness others want the challenge and risk of getting a lot gauges filled before the death deadline. Prior iterations of the Sims has risk-reward balances where gaming challenges were juxtaposed with storytelling.

Now, Sims 4 has blunted many of the challenges of prior versions. Cheat codes were always available if a user wanted to use The Sims for storytelling while ignoring its more challenging gameplay. I think the requests for more death is actually just a manifestation of a desire for more challenges within the game-toy. I think this because cheat codes can turn the game-toy into a put play acting toy, while nothing within the game can turn the balance more towards the game side of the game-toy balance. Legacy challenges and other self-imposed challenges can add more weight to the game side of this balance, but they are just that self-imposed.

I enjoy Sims 4 for what it is, but it misses the shocking “oh %#*%” moments that challenge and dare I say inspire us to make changes to the stories we had already pre-written in our minds.

The Wants-N-Fears system of Sims2 made even a simple date or gathering to be challenging at times.

Personally, I hope that when Sims5 makes its appearance it remembers to provide for both the game-gamers and the toy-players, and remember that cheats make changing games into toys easy but there is nothing that can really change a toy into a game but a foundation of deep and challenging gameplay.
  • Options
    GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    It’s a life simulation, life ends eventually.

For a lot of people it’s cruelly cut short and with sims it was always about giving us as much of a reminder as possible yet in a less real and more comical way. I want as many ways to die as possible because it always keeps me on my toes, it means storylines can get creative around how so and so dies, rather than it being “grandma passed away happily, Grim showed up, handed her a suitcase and a one way ticket to heaven”, it could be “Grandma was hit by a comet” or “grandma sharted too hard and popped something”, okay that one was pretty disgusting but that’s the point, EA has always been about funny deaths and plenty of them, now it seems they’ve downgraded and left out plenty of creative ways to kick the bucket. I miss the element of surprise with comets and satellites and how many other deaths we had, that’s the point here we had so many I’ve lost count! That’s in fact why we need MORE death rather than demand less, because ironically speaking, Sims was always about life and death and when death came it wasn’t always sad, it was hilarious and weird and annoying but it made sims a challenge, again a crucial element, it’s also about the challenge. For some it’s story, for some it’s making the game as difficult as possible, for some it’s just to see how many ways you can kill uncle terry, for the rest of us it’s what it is, means to an end.

I get the question of why do we want more, personally I’m annoyed by it and I always wish my sims had more time but then you value the time you do have and want to put time and effort into them so you have that memory and moving onto the next household isn’t just a lame switch. Of course you can just turn off aging and never have them die of old age, but everyone’s game is different. You don’t have to understand of like it but everyone’s game is their own. Pretty sure that’s in EA’s branding of sims but you know
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I like having death in the Sims, especially if it's a death that's not random and only happens as a result of your actions, such as not feeling your sim, not taking care of your sim when sick, allowing your sim to walk into the fire, getting your sim to fix the TV when they have low mechanical skill etc. It makes the game more challenging and keeps you engaged. I don't like how a lot of the deaths we do get in the Sims 4 are random (ie emotional deaths), it just takes away control from the player and I don't like how silly and childish some of them are. And the general lack of death just makes it dull and less engaging, because there's less to motivate you to do certain things or look after your sims. Even with pets, I don't like how nothing bad happens if you don't look after them. Even if they get sick nothing happens and therefore there's little incentive to take them to the vet. In the Sims 1, your pet could actually die if you didn't feed them, so that meant you made sure you kept an eye on them.

Also, and nobody can deny this happens, but many people enjoy killing their sims for the hell of it. I mean who DIDN'T remove the pool ladder on purpose while all of your sims were in there in the Sims 1, or make a fire death trap house and take the door away? Loads of people did it, it was almost a rite of passage for playing that game when I was a kid. Of course nobody would think to do this in real life or it made them an evil person, it was just a bit of fun and it was people experimenting, trying to see what they extent they could get the game to do crazy things.

I didn't do either of those things...what I DID do was let one of two Sims die when two of them walked into my improvisation of a community bathroom stall. A big part of that was I didn't know about the move objects on cheat (or I could have moved one of them out of the stall so that the other one could exit on their own).

I don't generally like killing my sims off, and I often disable aging when I have the chance. One reason I disable aging is so my Sims have a chance to get established in a career before getting married and having Simbabies. Pre-made families, on the other hand....they show up in EVERY new save I create, so if I am just tired of playing with those Sims, I don't mind so much if they die off, so that I can move new households from the gallery or ones I have created in. Besides, in some of my saves they have already died of old age while I was playing another household.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

Yes, it's odd to me that it's easier to kill a sim than for them to lose their job. I have to really work at it for them to lose their job or drop a grade. More consequences and a bit of suspense (the odd chance of losing a job, grade, skill point, money) would really add a lot of interest and spice to the game. There are a few ways to do this but they are really out of the normal flow (how many people have a wishing well at their home, for example?) I find it odd that a child can skip school for a couple of sim weeks straight and only drop from an "A" to a "B".
  • Options
    sidney216sidney216 Posts: 127 Member
    More death = more difficultly = more fun / challenging.
    Also for storyplaying.
    I play with aging off too but i wont hesitate to kill a sim for my storyline

This, but it doesn't always have to be around death either, adding something different than "happy happy happyyyyyyyy" could do the game a bit of good imo. Too much perfection makes the game boring, people were satisfied with the Vamp pack because it added some more sinister stuff much needed in the game tbh. It's not a lot, but better than nothing I guess. Glad the game can be modded too.
    1522086871-legatelanius.gif
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

I have yet to have a sim fired or demoted like I did in TS2 and in TS2 its downright scary lol. Picking one of the chance cards is another scary part of working in TS2 because you can be demoted or fired if you pick the wrong option lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    It is not so much more death...well sort of, it is the unexpected death I would like to see more of. Sometimes I need sims to die because of story and some I would like to just die unexpectedly because it is something I haven't planned for.

I had a crazy fire incidents in Sims 2 and those were some of the omg that just happened moments and I loved it. And the chance cards in Sims 2...HILARIOUS.

Example from Sims 2

Don Lothario is at work and the maid is cleaning his house. Don gets a chance card and loses all of his household funds. Maid finishes the cleaning and swipes an item because Don doesn't have any money to pay the maid...HILARIOUS

I think I need to go back and play sims 2 for a bit because between the chance cards, burglars, fires, etc, you never know what is going to happen.
  • Options
    missmerizemissmerize Posts: 42 Member
    I really enjoy the deaths bc it adds depth to my stories. for instance, one of my Sims named Daphne was growing up and becoming an adult. Her mother was a senior but still chugging along.... So I had to kind of encourage an instance for her to die so Daphne would be free to move and grow on her own without her mother constantly over her shoulder at home. But yeah, it's mostly just to move the seniors out of the way for the next gen. I hardly ever kill/let die younger Sims ^^
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited March 2018
    I like having deaths in the game because it simulates a real life event such as marriage, engagements, parties and so on. Yes some of the emotional deaths are kinda eh.. (But they are real but rare deaths) however; I find that not having deaths can just make the game too tedious and not having that extra involvement is just a drool fest.

Besides the point; everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some things being left out would not make the Sims a life simulation instead it would make it more of a boring chore. That's all I'm saying..

Oh and Tip: If you don't want your sims to die then use the cheat death.toggle
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I would love more death and sadness in my game. Right now I have to kill my sims to achieve this and sometimes if my sims didn't witness the death they are still happy. It annoys me to no end that my sims rarely get sad/mad when a family member dies, cheats, or is mean to the sims around them.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24