Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You ever feel intimidated by all the endless CC?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited February 2018 in General Mods Discussion
So I haven't really updated my Sims 4 CC folder (custom content) for some time, I have a nice little collection saved up and so it fairly easy to know what I have (since I didn't have a lot).

Recently (seeing as I solved my Sims 4 vs Sims 3 decision) I decided to update my "ring" collection - mostly for new wedding rings since I only have like 3 options.

So off I headed in search of shiny things...omg...seriously what a nightmare, first pops up all the pin-it links...which then show me all this OTHER CC I didn't know "I had to have" and each links leads to a website featuring more CC I MUST download...

Sitting here I'm like...do I really want to continue this search (as I got sidetracked lol) as I'm gonna waste so much time downloading CC I'll forget I even had (but suddenly want lol).

Oh then there is the CC you discover that you REALLY could have a use for - but its creator is no longer! Beginning a mad hunt for some long lost download link via google cache lol...

How about you, do you find yourself wasting precious hours downloading stuff you didn't even think you needed? Do you fear missing stuff if you don't stay on top of new CC releases? Does the endless supply of CC ever feel intimidating or overwhelming?

Or do you completely play CC free?

Comments

• Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    I often play completely cc free, however getting a recolor for some of the food made me pick up a few items, I don't tend to get overwhelmed anymore I put a strict limit won't even look at TSR unless I know exactly what I'm looking for, two hairs, some pants maybe make up but no more than four items. There are some older pieces that even though they aren't being updated have been fine for the game so you never know really how much there is ha, fun to look through though.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I just bookmark it for downloading at another time.
    It's better this way as there are some things that I find that I really don't need after all. :D

My bookmarks are all organized for hair, makeup, furniture, decor, etc.
    Once I have a nice amount of items and free time, I start downloading and testing it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    Yep there’s a ton out there. When I do download CC, which I don’t do as often in 4, I usually plan to spend a bit doing so. But you don’t have to download it all at once :smile: it will still be there for future days!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2018
    I used to download anything and everything I loved but realized, half that stuff would never get used. Now I only install what I know I will use.

A lot of my CC is not installed, instead on a storage drive to pull from later if I need it. I bookmark a lot of things or reblog it to my side tumblr for CC reblogs.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I avoided CC hair in TS4 for the longest time because I knew from experience that once I downloaded one hair I wouldn't be able to stop. This turned out true once I eventually broke down and downloaded some hair for toddlers. I meant to leave it at that, but you know how it goes. I recently went on a massive CC spree for TS2 because I had just reinstalled it. I swear I was in a daze by the end of it; there's so much good content for that game now.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I'm actually using less and less CC than I have in the past. Mainly because I'm having issues with things breaking and the creator don't bother to update it. I don't even pay for a TSR subscription anymore and I only DL from featured artists and few select. If they are not on TSR or MTS I do a LOT of research and read the comments on other things to see how they are if something breaks. If they have a link to twitter or some other form of social media I'll look at that before I download. If they do not even so much as engage with people who have commented good, bad or indifferent, I move on.

I wont even touch a submitter anymore because that is where the problem usually lies with the files I've downloaded. I actually haven't downloaded anything other than mods since the release of City Living. I couldn't get the gaming counsel to work and it was a CC couch preventing it from working. I now have to go through what I have and find what is broken because when the game spawns a townie, they have that what I call creepy haunted wooden doll look to them. I have everything in sub folder as deep as the game will allow so it is some what organized. If we could have unlimited sub folders my CC would be a lot more organized.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    yes, i feel sometimes quite intimidated & even right out exhausted by the amounts cc makers spit out
    especially because at least half of those cc is non-interactive non-gameplay deco only
    & on top, if i'm very lucky, it doesn't skew the game & looks the same good in game as in the photoshoped pictures :lol:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited February 2018
    Time is the reason I don't use CC anymore with Sims 4. It has nice graphics and enough options for enjoyable gaming. I have some single things I miss like long hairstyles or headpieces but wasting time for CC searching is not worth it. Also some CC causes problems so I dont want to spend my gaming time for solving those problems. I would use CC if I had more time to pick the quality stuff. Sims 2 and 3 I got my favorite CC and mods folders but they are not huge. Just the best like twallans mods that can be trusted.
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Nah, I pay no attention to CC or mods or whatever everything is called. :)
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Not really, I've very particular when downloading CC.
    I don't fear of missing new CC releases.
    If you know how to search for it, you'll find it.
    I remember there was a CC dress I saw early on and the link to down load didn't work. I was sad, but i think it was about a year ago I found another site that had the dress, and the download was successful. and when I saw it in game, It wasn't as pretty in game than in the picture.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    In a word sometimes yes.

My big problem is I actually find CC shopping to be a relaxing/enjoyable activity in and of itself which means I end up with way more stuff then I could ever use or would be substainable by my game/computer.

So I tend to limit myself a CC Spree once a week or so. Generally I set myself a limit of one notebook page and write down everything I download and when I get to the end of the page I'm done for that spree. I also write it down in a way that corresponds to the way I have my CC folders organized because at the end of the session I load up my CC/Content Testing Family and check things in game because sometimes CC looks different then it does in the preview pictures or I test both in CAS and in "live" mod to see if anything is doing weird streaking things or just doesn't look right and if I don't absolutely still love something I delete it right away. Then I do the same with any build/buy mode stuff I don't like. Then once a month or so I go through everything I have in-game and will use the Tray Importer to remove anything I feel I definitely don't still love or won't use after living with them in my game for a while. This sort of helps keep down on the amount of CC in my game but I honestly know I'll never use it all.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Once the cc started interfering with the how the game played, I dumped it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JadedJaneJadedJane Posts: 991 Member
    I go "shopping" for CC for certain characters I'm creating. Clothes for my rebellious teens and such. But my biggest addiction with CC is hair and shoes. I organize all of my folders into subfolders. I have a new CC folders and sub folders in that marking everything new in categories marking each. Then after I check them in the Sims 4 studio, I transfer them to my other folders. I know it sounds time consuming, but it helps my find any bad or broken CC before it affects my game. Sometimes I notice ballgowns are marked in the swimsuit section, so I like to catch it beforehand as well. And I like to make sure the CC isn't being worn in the shower or for random and the townies walking around in weird or mismatched stuff.
  • Options
    PolluxSimsPolluxSims Posts: 318 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »
    In a word sometimes yes.

My big problem is I actually find CC shopping to be a relaxing/enjoyable activity in and of itself which means I end up with way more stuff then I could ever use or would be substainable by my game/computer.

So I tend to limit myself a CC Spree once a week or so. Generally I set myself a limit of one notebook page and write down everything I download and when I get to the end of the page I'm done for that spree. I also write it down in a way that corresponds to the way I have my CC folders organized because at the end of the session I load up my CC/Content Testing Family and check things in game because sometimes CC looks different then it does in the preview pictures or I test both in CAS and in "live" mod to see if anything is doing weird streaking things or just doesn't look right and if I don't absolutely still love something I delete it right away. Then I do the same with any build/buy mode stuff I don't like. Then once a month or so I go through everything I have in-game and will use the Tray Importer to remove anything I feel I definitely don't still love or won't use after living with them in my game for a while. This sort of helps keep down on the amount of CC in my game but I honestly know I'll never use it all.

This actually sounds like a really good idea. What's the Tray Importer though? I've never heard of it.

But I'm the same way, I find CC shopping to be... Really addicting. I usually only look on TSR or Tumblr, though I mostly only download stuff for CAS and that's it. My problem is that I'm so picky, so I check everything once it's downloaded, and have to debate whether or not I like some things. If I don't, I delete them and go shopping again for more stuff to replace them... It's like a vicious cycle lol.
    Read my Sawyer Legacy Simlit on Wordpress
    - Origin ID: PolluxSims -
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I mainly play cc free as I’m really picky about the art style of the game. The Sims 4 has such a specific art style and a lot of the CC out there doesn’t match, or it matches just fine but some of the details are a bit jagged and rough around the edges, some of the official Sims objects (specifically hairstyles from around the beginning of the games release and early content) look a bit rough and out of place for the game, and I don’t tupically use them because of that reason.

Also I don’t wanna be bothered with constantly updating my CC folder as The Sims 4 gets updated quite frequently, don’t want to deal with the hassle of broken or out of date CC.

To be honest I’ll probably start getting CC for my Sims 3 game, that games art style is a lot more versatile for CC (I think it’s because it doesn’t really have one), also the game doesn’t get updated anymore so it’s a win win.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I do not feel intimidated by so much CC and in some way glad that it is available beyond what EA/Maxis offers but one has to be careful in where they get that CC being there is no standard and while EA/Maxis allows it, it does not offer support for it meaning you are on your own.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    edited February 2018
    I wouldn't say I get overwhelmed, but I love CC. I don't really care if it doesn't match the MM look of the game which probably sounds crazy to people. I do tend to restrict myself to only downloading from TSR to keep myself on a time limit though I know there is amazing CC on Tumblr. I frequently make myself clean out my Mods folder and delete what I don't use.

Eta: I've never really had issues with CC getting out of date or breaking the game. Any long term issues I've had with my game came directly from the Sims team themselves. I have the Mod conflict detector. If a mod is causing issues I delete it and go back and run the game, not a long process. I have a mod that I have to update, I just bookmarked the page and it takes seconds. If anyone on this thread is afraid of mods or CC don't be! There are some absolutely amazing creations out there. I love CC and mods because it shows me how passionate people are about the game.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I never use CC in a developing game as I don't care to encounter issues with my game - which is sure to happen when ever Maxis does any recoding. So if there is some kind of CC I think I need - I tend to wait until the game is finished and all CC is up to date with the game before I even go looking.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    night_tidenight_tide Posts: 112 Member
    Every time I tell myself I'm going to play the sims, I find myself spending hours downloading CC. Sometimes, I disable my CC so I can play the game without it, but I can't bring myself to delete my mods folder. xD
    The roof is not my son, but I will raise it.

original.gif

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    edited February 2018
    I have 5 mods in my game:

UI CheatsExtension
    Grass replacement
    LittleMSSams's NoSickDirtySadHungryPets
    Icemunmun's caning station and additional harvestables
    BrazenLotus' harvestable overhaul

And as of yesterday so many cute outfits for toddlers and kids. I got stuck on TSR yesterday for almost 2 hours downloading the cutest dresses and tops and sleepwear and jeans.

The total is only 93 MB, 223 files so I'm not concerned. My Sims 2 game has around 5 gigs of custom content.

ETA: And to answer the question it can become overwhelming. There's just so much out there and I can go from one site to another looking at stuff. I also tend to rotate objects. I downloaded a lot of Christmas stuff for decorating but I've since removed that from the game. The key is to be organized and label items so you know what it is. And I don't consider it wasting time as for me it's just another part of enjoying the game.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I avoided CC hair in TS4 for the longest time because I knew from experience that once I downloaded one hair I wouldn't be able to stop. This turned out true once I eventually broke down and downloaded some hair for toddlers. I meant to leave it at that, but you know how it goes. I recently went on a massive CC spree for TS2 because I had just reinstalled it. I swear I was in a daze by the end of it; there's so much good content for that game now.

Yes. I have over 35 GB of Sims 2 CC on my external hard drive. There were some great Sims 2 creators. Beosboxboy, BuggyBooz, Cashcraft, Living Dead Girl, Murano, and so many more.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Actually I do feel a bit overwhelmed by my CC.
    But it's my own fault, since it's a bit of an addiction I've had, even with Sims 2 and Sims 3. :*
    (I never modded original The Sims)

Right now I'm playing with only a few mods/cc.
    Default replacement grass,
    blur remover, so I can see the town clear in background and not lose the sun rays/light,
    and a CAS background.

I think I am also overwhelmed because my CC folder, that I keep backed up, is over 120GB.
    A lot of it needs to be run though the S4Studio (ever since the mirrors/lighting/Cats & Dogs patches), and I never got around to it.
    I also heard some of it is broken, some very well-known CC items, that can't even be fixed with the S4Studio.
    That's gonna make me sad. So I end up procrastinating even more.

I used to only bookmark, but now I DL the CC that I am very interested in, because sometimes things disappear.
    One day I am downloading pretty CC recolors, the next day or so, it's all been taken done, or creator gone.
    But I no longer download anything, unless I know I will use it.
    I really need to start going through my CC soon... :D

I'm really grateful for mod makers & CC creators.
    I can play without it, but OMG so many cute, unique, and pretty things! :o
    The recolors of game items, are so appreciated, since many of my favorite items in game are in dire need of more color choices!
    My game wouldn't be the same without them.
    To those CC creators, Thank You! <3

** I do want to point out, that my Sims games, and CC have actually contributed to me learning more about my PCs.
    Problems came up, I looked them up, fixed the issues.
    (and with me, one thing leads to another, until I end up reading way more than planned.)
    I guess that's a good thing. B)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    I'm okay with the fashion choices we have in the game, so I mostly play vanilla when it comes to prettyfying my sims.

But when it comes to getting cc for specific themes or challenges, oh, boy, do I feel with you, OP! Ever needed a toddler police uniform (for carnival) and went home with like half a dozen swords, a jet fighter (couch), a collection of Witcher outfits and a set of wings instead? And STILL missing that police costume, naturally, even though you know it existed :s It's so tempting, because even though I do not need the items right now I feel like I would want them one day and they might not be available anymore then.

With all the cc out there I find it best to just bookmark two or three blogs/sites of choice and only venture out from there if they absolutely do not have what is needed.
  • Options
    sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I actually have less CC these days than I did in the past, with all the new content I only DL CC in order to fill in where I feel there is a lack of available options. Primarily, that is body hair, toddler hair and clothes, hair that looks appropriate on sims that are African-American, and hair for men including facial hair. I also have some tattoos, jewelry, and makeup, but only a hand full. Also, some clothing, women's shoes, and recolors of some of the items from the game.

I use mods as well, although I could get rid of my cc and still play and enjoy the game, I would find a vanilla game way to tedious to enjoy.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • Options
    gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    edited February 2018
    No, I don't. However I don't relish the install-enjoy-update-break-fix-reinstall-repeat process that exists. There appears to be some really cool cc on the horizon. I am going to wait for some of this until in the future when I have my game where I want it and they've stopped producing content to fully install the cc I want.