Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uncontrollable Pets - Good move or bad?

Comments

• Options
    candymaster125candymaster125 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'll be honest im pretty disappointed i was very excited for this expansion pack I loved pets in the sims 3 but this was a huge let down you cant control your pets at all yes i understand they have a mind of their own but still i was hoping i could have my pets interact with others or make them react to sims a certain way speaking of sims our Sims have a mind of of their own and we have full control of them another thing to add is I was really hopping they would come out with horses I feel like EA is just trying to get everyone's money now I mean the stuff packs they have been coming out with are they really necessary ? Like Laundry day or fitness stuff I will dont get me wrong I do enjoy the sims4 with a couple of mods of course and that its so much easier to sculpt a character and make houses but so far thats about it without mods or spending alot of money for expansion packs the Sims 4 is pretty plain
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2018
    Way better in my opinion.

I played Sims 4 Cats and dogs, then went and played Sims 3 - just cats and dogs (no horses or no other pets), and finally Sims 2 cats and dogs only. Same set up in each game of parents, a teen, a child, and a toddler - honestly I liked Sims 4 better as the pets seemed on the same attention level as the 3 kids in Sims 4 - they truly seemed a part of the family. All family members on their own gave attention to the pets and the pets always greeted every family member and played a lot with both the toddler and the kid. The cat I had apparently did not like the radio and the teen was always playing music on her bedroom radio, so the cat some times hissed and kept her distant from the teen unless she was outside or in the living room. These pets were easiest to train too.

Where as in Sims 3, the one that actually gives you pet control (I did not use it though) - the pets reminded me of strays that just ate at that house and used the dog house - hardly ever caring the humans were there at all. The pets were more interested in playing with each other or running off around the neighborhood then getting or giving attention to their family. The teen and the adults did try and interact with the pets a few times - but hardly more than a pet on the head and a call to eat. The kids age and toddler had no pet interest at all other than once the toddler did hug the kitty.

Sims 2 Sims did show their pets love on their own - again not much reaction with the toddlers and pets. The toddler kept eating the dogs food (grossing me out) and would take over the pets bed every chance it got. Again the toddler hugged the cat - but paid no notice of the dog. The Sims 2 teen was the best with the pets in Sims 2 - and she was always petting or playing with one pet or the other. She'd also take the dog for a walk with out being asked to do so a lot. The child age boy loved to run and play with the dog and the dog often was in his room with him, especially sleeping in the room.

Still realistically - Sims 4 really was the best with all life stages sharing attention and the pets seeking it out from them all.

Sims 2 came in as a pretty close second except for the toddler.

Sims 3 - which is a game I really love a lot - faired the worse and all stages of the family as well as the pets seemed indifferent to one another and not like a family at all.

Keep in mind each of these families were new and there wasn't high relationships any more than the game gives - traits were random by the games - and I judged each household just for two days and one night. Maybe after playing them all and building relationships and all it may have made a difference - but right out of the box - Sims 4 does have down pretty good family and pet realism over the other two games where there is more control (again keep in mind I did not use and pet controlling. The only thing I did do is start the training to get the pets to eat pet food and to train the dogs to go potty outside and reprimand when there was bad behavior, praise for good behavior.

ETA - I could see that if I had picked specific traits for each sim and pets - it may have made a difference - like any of pet specific traits like love/hate cats or dogs - etc - I purposely did not pick any of those, would reroll, nor allow any mean or evil traits.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Way better in my opinion.

I played Sims 4 Cats and dogs, then went and played Sims 3 - just cats and dogs (no horses or no other pets), and finally Sims 2 cats and dogs only. Same set up in each game of parents, a teen, a child, and a toddler - honestly I liked Sims 4 better as the pets seemed on the same attention level as the 3 kids in Sims 4 - they truly seemed a part of the family. All family members on their own gave attention to the pets and the pets always greeted every family member and played a lot with both the toddler and the kid. The cat I had apparently did not like the radio and the teen was always playing music on her bedroom radio, so the cat some times hissed and kept her distant from the teen unless she was outside or in the living room.

Where as in Sims 3, the one that actually gives you pet control (I did not use it though) - the pets reminded me of strays that just ate at that house and used the dog house - hardly ever caring the humans were there at all. The pets were more interested in playing with each other or running off around the neighborhood then getting or giving attention to their family. The teen and the adults did try and interact with the pets a few times - but hardly more than a pet on the head and a call to eat. The kids age and toddler had no pet interest at all other than once the toddler did hug the kitty.

Sims 2 Sims did show their pets love on their own - again not much reaction with the toddlers and pets. The toddler kept eating the dogs food (grossing me out) and would take over the pets bed every chance it got. Again the toddler hugged the cat - but paid no notice of the dog. The Sims 2 teen was the best with the pets in Sims 2 - and she was always petting or playing with one pet or the other. She'd also take the dog for a walk with out being asked to do so a lot. The child age boy loved to run and play with the dog and the dog often was in his room with him, especially sleeping in the room.

Still realistically - Sims 4 really was the best with all life stages sharing attention and the pets seeking it out from them all.

Sims 2 came in as a pretty close second except for the toddler.

Sims 3 - which is a game I really love a lot - faired the worse and all stages of the family as well as the pets seemed indifferent to one another and not like a family at all.

Keep in mind each of these families were new and there wasn't high relationships any more than the game gives - traits were random by the games - and I judged each household just for two days and one night. Maybe after playing them all and building relationships and all it may have made a difference - but right out of the box - Sims 4 does have down pretty good family and pet realism over the other two games where there is more control (again keep in mind I did not use and pet controlling. The only thing I did do is start the training to get the pets to eat pet food and to train the dogs to go potty outside and reprimand when there was bad behavior, praise for good behavior.

Yes I agree with this, Sims 4 pets is way better. Its true we did not get very many items in the cats and dogs EP but the pets themselves are flushed out. All my sims cats and dogs are different. I have 1 dog that loves watching t.v while the other in the household does not like like the t.v and prefers to swim in the pool all day. Taking care of cats,dogs, toddlers, your sims and your sims job is some what of a challenge. Dogs want to go for walks and cats jump out and eat the cake you were trying to use to age up a sim then you got your toddlers crying cause there tired then you forget your sim has work in an hour and you just need to pause and see what you should focus on next. At one point in my game I had to deny my sims of having a dog because twins and a dog (with parenthood installed, can't play without it xD) it was too much. I do hope though they add small pets to the sims 4 for this reason, my sims don't always have the time to care for a cat and dog but I think they will if they add seasons and university. I mean imagine making time for them then. Unless you can bring them to school with you to live with you in dorm but that's not usually a thing.

Sims 3, all I did was control my pets and there was no reason for my sim to even talk or care for them my dogs and cats took care of themselves. All my sims needed to do was lay down food and go about there day.

• Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I would love it if someone could explain to me: Why was it impossible to give cats and dogs the same personalities, while still making them controllable?

Nothing would have needed to change, right? So why not give the option? Those who want the pets to be autonomous could just leave them alone. Those who want the pets to do a specific action, at a specific moment, in a specific place (storytellers) could have had the option to do so as well.

Why is everything always either/or with this version of the game when BOTH would have been the ideal solution?

It wouldn’t really work as intended. It’s sort of like in a household if you try and only play one sim and ignore the others and allow them to act autonomous they don’t always function right. They do sometimes but not always. A lot of times they’ll just stand idle or ignore their needs. I tend to have a lot of bladder fails in a big household if I can’t get to every sim fast enough to make sure they attend to needs. We’d have those same issues with pets if they were controllable and those that didn’t want to control them just ignored them.

To answer the threads question, I love it! I never liked controlling pets and they never appealed to me in prior games because we had to control them. I like that it’s something for my sim to take care of because that’s more true to reality.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2018
    After all the past big features they did not include in both the base game and every single GP/EP.
    For the sims 4.
    Including the other features not indluded in cats&dogs.
    just once it would of been nice to have the option to choose if we wanted to control pets!

There a lot of you can't do this anymore.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don't mind not being able to control them. I just wish we could see their needs.
  • Options
    Bad_AppleBad_Apple Posts: 16 Member
    I don't mind the way the pets are, but it does get a little annoying when my cat refuses to eat for a while. Also - for anyone who prefers to control your pets, there's a controllable pet mod. I haven't tested it though so I have no idea if it works properly.
    <3
  • Options
    MirithilRoseMirithilRose Posts: 12 New Member
    You know, I don't mind if things stay the way they are now.... IF pets at least act according to their needs. When they are hungry, they should be able to eat from the food bowl autonomously. That goes for both strays and the pets in your household. No cat or dog is that stupid to not eat when they're hungry, when there is food right in front of them.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I don't mind them being autonomous, but what grinds my gears is being unable to see their UI, so I have no way of seeing what skills they have, what tricks they know, how their hunger/energy needs are or even how long until they age up.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I really dislike the way they did pets this time around. Yes they are adorable and fluffy looking but I can not see what they need or make them eat when they are standing next to their full food bowl and whimpering because they are hungry. I also do not understand why all the strays or neighborhood pets are always sick, dirty and hungry. It is ridiculous. And why do all my pets keep randomly passing out. I have tried clicking on their beds several times a day because maybe they are tired and need sleep but no they just pop right off and then pass out in the kitchen. All my families in Sims 3 had pets. My families did not feel complete without at least one pet of some kind but I can not stand to play them at all now.

This is a 40 dollar expansion pack. It should be full and complete. I still can not believe how half baked and unfinished this pack is.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I honestly couldn't care less about them being playable or not. What bothers me is that they'll just stand there for 6 Sim hours doing absolutely nothing.

They're pets. They should be playing with their toys, running around, digging in the yard, chasing mice, looking out the window (instead of staring at the toilet, you know)... and yeah, sleep much more than they actually do.

Such a huge disappointment and such a wasted opportunity. Pets bring absolutely nothing to my game.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't care less about them being playable or not. What bothers me is that they'll just stand there for 6 Sim hours doing absolutely nothing.

They're pets. They should be playing with their toys, running around, digging in the yard, chasing mice, looking out the window (instead of staring at the toilet, you know)... and yeah, sleep much more than they actually do.

Such a huge disappointment and such a wasted opportunity. Pets bring absolutely nothing to my game.

Hm my pets are normally pretty active and only sleep when my sims do. My dog chases the cat the kittens snuggle the dog then the mother cat is always snuggling the kittens I don’t have pet toys in the house atm but my dog and cat always plays tag. They used to not get along and the cat always hissed at the dog but now there best buds. The dog is a trouble maker so he always digs through trash and rolls in puddles. I always thought they didn’t sleep enough since my current household all you see all day is the cat and dog running around the house together. The only time my dog will leave the cats side is to ask for a walk. They even both go in the kitchen to eat at the same time but I have them on a routine. They always go to there bowl in the morning when my sim feeds them. Plus a indoor cat sleeps about 16 hours a day. My sim cat sleeps 7ish. It could be the traits your pets have. Do they have the lazy trait?
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I LOVE not being able to control the pets. Two reasons, mainly because that means I don't have any extras I have to control, for instance if I have 4 Sims and 4 pets, its only the 4 Sims I have to boss around. The other reason, is that its much more realistic and yes I know that realism and the Sims in same sentence can be a bit of an oxymoron but this feature is something I really like about the pets.

The only thing I wish we could see is the pets' geneology or their family tree as we breed them. I also wish we could teach or make pets not be so afraid of the objects/sounds around them, like the tv and the radio. That could be added to the training, maybe?
  • Options
    FelpataMaraunderFelpataMaraunder Posts: 14 New Member
    I think it was a really interesting choice to make them unplayable. I wasn't really convinced at first, but it is starting to grow on me, as it makes the game that little more unpredictable and even if sometimes it can be annoying, I appreciate them trying out new ways of playing.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I've noticed lately that Max Villareal's aggressive Rottweiler autonomously runs after sims and it says "hostile chase" at the bottom left corner of the screen (the actions queue). Autonomous pets is good!
  • Options
    xbackxback Posts: 22 Member
    I really dislike it. I don't really have anything to do with them, since I can't check their skills or social needs. They just poop and sleep in my game, because my sims are usually busy with skills/jobs to play with them. At least in Sims 3 when you could control them, you could train them without the help of sims.
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    If I'm being honest not being able to see their family tree/needs etc without a mod is a bit tedious...
  • Options
    AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    Personally I don't mind it. Less things to control is a good thing for me considering I already micromanage my sims. I would have liked to been able to look at their panel like in previous games, though.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I've noticed lately that Max Villareal's aggressive Rottweiler autonomously runs after sims and it says "hostile chase" at the bottom left corner of the screen (the actions queue). Autonomous pets is good!

Haha I love it. My sim's dog is also aggressive and he will run out of the apartment and go assault sims walking below. It's funny to watch CD and the growling animation looks so cute
  • Options
    tinacolada00tinacolada00 Posts: 409 Member
    I say good. However, I wish I could see their needs.
  • Options
    Lilasplit1234567Lilasplit1234567 Posts: 2 New Member
    Still sad about this...no more Warrior Cats like story making. :'(

What I don't understand is why people act as if wanting to control the pets is bad? It's unrealistic, but so is having a fox as a pet. I'm bummed that because people didn't want to HAVE to control their pets, the rest of us are left to having to watch them from afar (which I could maybe understand if the debate wasn't basically 50-50) with no way to control them directly. To me, controlling the pets was the best part of the Sims 3 and Sims 2 pets. I dare say that I played as the pets more than I played as the humans. I bought the episode anyways, but having to get additional mods and content just to get my money's worth kinda bums me out. I HATE unpredictability/"surprises" in games where I'm supposed to be a God-like entity. I want to control how my story goes, not the other way around. I feel like the choice to play as my pets should have been included, even if the gameplay wasn't as heavily focused as making the pets NPCs. I miss seeing their need bars, their family tree, their traits, their relationships, and their skills. The gameplay with pets as of right now makes me sad. I like how lively they can be, but it's a tad boring and even annoying at times. It's like they wanted to focus on customizing the pets so you can have pretty little fur-toddlers. What a let-down.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    edited July 2018
    @Lilasplit1234567 I agree. I finally stopped playing pets altogether. It was too frustrating having them pass out all the time and starving in front of a food bowl. I also do not use Brindleton Bay at all with the sick dirty pets all over the place.

With the many bugs already in the game I did not trust the Sims developers to make the pets function properly on their own and I was right. I honestly wish they had not bothered to make cats and dogs at all if this was the best they could deliver. Someone else needs to step in and help make some of these "design decisions" because we deserve better.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Honestly for me it goes both ways. I have the mod to control pets but I barely use it except for when they glitch and don’t do autonomous activities such as eating when there’s a full bowl. There isn’t a ton of things for pets to do on their own so I don’t see it as an issue.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited July 2018
    I think it was a smart move.

For me, because the Pets in the Sims 3 were controllable, I found them largely predictable, easy to take care of, and ultimately boring. But here in TS4, it feels like they have personalities and they add a more random element to the game. And randomity is something I think this game needs more of.

The only annoyance I've had with Pets, and this is just a minor one, is how addicted to walking my Sim's dogs get. After just one walk, my dogs keep begging to go again. Cute, but 🐸🐸🐸🐸, leave my Sim alone.

And the passing out. I don't know why they pass out, but they do. Weird. I mean, if they needed to sleep, just sleep on the nearby dog bed I placed for them... or the couch... or even the ground.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I can handle the pets not being controllable. Just.

But I still cannot fathom why they thought making cars and dogs avatars and being unable to see their information, family tree, mood was a good idea. It can’t be realism because it’s not realistic to be able to view sims needs and information. It’s just another choice being removed from the player.

I’m playing the sims 3 at the moment. I’m not controlling the kitten or dog. The cat runs to greet my sim when she comes home and marks himself on her, he scratched up the coffee table and begs for food whilst my sims are eating. He also likes sitting on my sims lap.

The dog brings my sim the newspaper, sleeps on the bed, is working on toilet training as he still hasn’t got the hang of going outside and he automatically interacts with my sim. I love being able to see how they feel about my sims and each other. When it thundered the cst woke up amd hissed. My dog loves to play with his toys and before I bought him toys he dug up the back yard.

My sims 4 dog has some cute animations but spends her time a lot moaning to be let out to potty even though she is toilet trained allegedly. She doesn’t do much on her own that in my experience a regular dog would. She doesn’t play with her toys, she just hangs out in the bathroom as she is obsessed with the toilet. The children in the family sometimes interact with her but they ignore the cats. I do prefer the sims 4 cats over the dogs. But I miss badly being able to see their needs and control them if I want too.

Cats and dogs feel like avatars, that are for my benefit not the sims. They couldn’t care less.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top