Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with new laptop

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Lilia1971Lilia1971 Posts: 391 Member
    Ignore me. I finally found it and sorted it. Do I have to do it for sims 4 too?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    Lilia1971 wrote: »
    Any computer that tells me that I am "not allowed" to download something from sources of my own choosing is asking for a swift kick in the digital modem. Sorry, I'm not usually violent but I don't put up with insubordinate equipment or over-protective security software for a moment, but maybe that's just me. ;)

TS4 has its own frame rate limiter built into the game. Not sure if you have to activate anything in its game options, but I think it should all be automatic. @phoebebebe13?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Any computer that tells me that I am "not allowed" to download something from sources of my own choosing is asking for a swift kick in the digital modem. Sorry, I'm not usually violent but I don't put up with insubordinate equipment or over-protective security software for a moment, but maybe that's just me. ;)

TS4 has its own frame rate limiter built into the game. Not sure if you have to activate anything in its game options, but I think it should all be automatic. @phoebebebe13?

Thanks for your help. I went to the control panel and turned the v synch on, went back to sims 3 and the fps are still over 200, they change all the time. Do I need to do something else as well?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    igazor wrote: »

You can add the TS4 exe file to Nvidia control panel and put vsync on . You do have to set up the switchable graphics card with Ts4 on a laptop. Some say the game vsync option in the launcher works better. ask @DeKay about that. I always worry the vsync in the launcher will stop working. Dekay can help set up the laptop for TS4
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Thanks for your help. I went to the control panel and turned the v synch on, went back to sims 3 and the fps are still over 200, they change all the time. Do I need to do something else as well?
    Maybe you should start a new thread in the TS4 section for that part of it, this is going to get confusing.

Back on TS3, did you follow all of the steps as previously outlined in the illustrations? You must set up a profile for the correct executable, that would be TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 or TS3w.exe (with the "w") for 1.67 or below. Vsync arranged through the Control Panel only works in full-screen mode, not windowed.

If vsync is not going to lock things in, or if you require windowed mode, then we move on to Nvidia Inspector which yes actually does need to be downloaded and installed as per @SimplyJen's illustrations. One small step missing on the illustration there for Inspector, in addition to vsync forced on, the Frame Rate Limit value should be set to not "Off" as shown but the refresh rate of your monitor (usually 60).

If at any point you have used GeForce Experience to "optimize" TS3, you will want to undo that (should be a button choice). It only gets in the way of things like this working.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @igazor TS4 is allot easier to set up than this game ;) OP will not have to click on 100 files to get to the actual game file. Yes when adding TS4 to nvidia control panel the ts4.exe file will pop right up and no searching for the file required. Aren't they lucky
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited November 2017
    About The Sims 4...
    There's no game launcher for Sims 4 and unlike the Sims 3, it does have v-sync. You turn on v-sync through in-game settings. This should do the trick as it does for most including me.
    • Launch the game
    • Top right corner click the three dots ...
    • Game Options
    • Gameplay tab to the left, you should see Game Options.
    • Vertical Sync under Display should be checked.
    Track track FPS in-game with the cheat fps on. Small text will appear in the corner and it should be capped at whatever your screens refresh rate is. Frame drops are normal but the goal is to not go over that number. If not then you can use Nvidia Control Panel as phoebe suggest.

Here is the guide on switchable graphics for laptop. You want to make sure it's using the Nvidia graphics.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd/p1

About The Sims 3...
    Unforautnly, The Sims 3 does not have v-sync built-in so you will need Nvidia Control Panel, Nvidia Inspector, or another tool with the same ability. Double check you're selecting the right executable like igazor said. (TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 or TS3w.exe for 1.67 & below)

As for GeForce Experience, on the Home screen, you should see Games. Hover over The Sims 3 and click Details. If you have the game optimized, you should see a revert button. Trying reverting back if v-sync refuses to work after following my instructions on the first page. It will look like this:
    35947884874_85b0bc40df_b.jpg

Game Optimization through GeForce Experience doesn't always play nice with older games.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Thanks again. I have got the right TS3.exe but it still isn't reducing fps. I tried to download the inspector but when I click on open or save another box pops up saying thanks for downloading 7 zip so not sure what that's all about. I'm going to have to give up for today as up at 4am and need some sleep. I really appreciate all the help though.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Thanks again. I have got the right TS3.exe but it still isn't reducing fps. I tried to download the inspector but when I click on open or save another box pops up saying thanks for downloading 7 zip so not sure what that's all about. I'm going to have to give up for today as up at 4am and need some sleep. I really appreciate all the help though.
    Take a look at this again when it's not 4am. On the Inspector page, the real downloads are 2/3 of the way down the page where it says mirrored servers and so on. If you do not have an Ad Blocker and you are seeing links in the upper right corner or someplace else, that would be rogue advertisements, not the program.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Finally sorted it all out. Thanks very much.