Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Burglar" Livestream answer

I just watched the latest livestream and the SimGurus were asked "Why aren't there burglars in TS4?" and the team answered "Because we don't want crime in the sims".

I cannot stress on how disappointing that is, to literally have no negative/challenging aspects of the game besides sims leaving trash around and being directed to clean it. Burglars are a huge part of the sims experience. They're about saving to buy stuff for your sims and then having a little risk of sims being robbed! That was like fires.. a little bit of loss of control and a little challenge here and there!

I really really hope they reconsider burglars, gameplay can't just be all positive things all the time! Some of you have to agree, right?
Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti

Comments

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited October 2017
    That was a throwaway answer. There are no burglars in TS4 for the same reason that many NPC characters continue to be MIA -- it's just easier not to bother.

The NPCs that were created are basically next to useless. The tin says that the non-functional state of NPCS are intentional 'features'. I beg to differ.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    to me thats great news :)
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    YellebYelleb Posts: 156 Member
    They were being sarcastic.
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited October 2017
    "Because we don't want crime in the Sims."

That's not only disappointing, that's a terrible answer. Where to even begin?

Saying "no crime in the Sims" implies the entire series. The Sims 2 and 3 already have burglars, I'm not sure about the Sims 1, but nonetheless. They're already in the previous games, why wouldn't you add it in this game? Saying "because we don't want crime" is far from satisfactory. You already have crime.

Even in this game! Vampires breaking into your home to feed off of you is trespassing and assault. Last time I checked, that's a crime. Or are we now just picking and choosing what a crime is and what isn't?

We already have a perfect foundation for burglars to be introduced in the game. We have the Kelptomaniac trait, the abilty for a Sim to break in, and with Get To Work, prison bars, cop outfits, arrest animations, etc. Why wouldn't you add burglars in the game when you have an active Detective career in the game where your Sim, one way or another, deals in crime, add a trait for it, and add a form of crime with Vampires?

You could also say an alien abducting you and getting your male Sim pregnant is assault.

My guess is that was more or less a lie to keep players on their toes. I'm betting they've already got something planned for burglars. Who knows, they could be included in the pre-EP patch.

Nah, they foolin'. Pfft.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I miss the burglar and I would love him/her back.
    But I read apparently it was a joke. I'm not sure. I'm not convinced the burglar will be back personally.
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    "Because we don't want crime in the Sims."

That's not only disappointing, that's a terrible answer. Where to even begin?

Saying "no crime in the Sims" implies the entire series. The Sims 2 and 3 already have burglars, I'm not sure about the Sims 1, but nonetheless. They're already in the previous games, why wouldn't you add it in this game? Saying "because we don't want crime" is far from satisfactory. You already have crime.

Even in this game! Vampires breaking into your home to feed off of you is trespassing and assault. Last time I checked, that's a crime. Or are we now just picking and choosing what a crime is and what isn't?

We already have a perfect foundation for burglars to be introduced in the game. We have the Kelptomaniac trait, the abilty for a Sim to break in, and with Get To Work, prison bars, cop outfits, arrest animations, etc. Why wouldn't you add burglars in the game when you have an active Detective career in the game where your Sim, one way or another, deals in crime, add a trait for it, and add a form of crime with Vampires?

You could also say an alien abducting you and getting your male Sim pregnant is assault.

My guess is that was more or less a lie to keep players on their toes. I'm betting they've already got something planned for burglars. Who knows, they could be included in the pre-EP patch.

Nah, they foolin'. Pfft.

Absolutely, they do have the animations from GTW! They better be joking.. NPCs really elevate the game in my opinion.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

Well that's cleared that up. Good!
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Also, I missed the fact that it was a joke until I saw clarification, myself. I'm guessing they were joking in reference to rumors that stuff like burglar isn't included because of teens or safe space stuff or whatnot.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DeliriumDelirium Posts: 85 Member
    Really... what is the point of the game if everything goes smoothly... no setbacks... life isn't like that. Things like the burglars made the games a bit more interesting.
    We have aliens who impregnate male sims without their approval (which I don't mind) but we can't have sims who rob your place... seems a bit odd...
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member

Oh great they cleared it up. I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by this.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member

It's not a very humorous jo

Maybe it was one of those "You had to be there" type of jokes.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »

It's not a very humorous jo

Maybe it was one of those "You had to be there" type of jokes.

I think it was just a very dry delivery kind of thing. They were doing a lot of responding to stuff off-the-cuff and playing off each other. It's amazing there weren't more misinterpreted comments.

But it's ok, we can just #BlameSteve :tongue: (that one was a much more clear joke)
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Since we know it's a joke, the right answer would be 'We just can't be bothered.'
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    A response trivial enough to confuse most and distract from asking the question again.

And they were doing so well with the transparency lately, smh.
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm not sure if it's relevant but I watched a video the other day where it was speculated they didn't want to "trigger" people by adding a burglar. If that's the case, I honestly just can't with EA anymore. There is no need to walk on eggshells to avoid offending everyone all of the sudden. It's not like the burglars come in and murder everyone. They steal your toilet or TV and leave. Jeez.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    And while I realize they now claim this is a joke, I wonder what excuse they can come up with for not having fire fighters.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • Options
    samemiesamemie Posts: 1,623 Member
    Nikoa wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's relevant but I watched a video the other day where it was speculated they didn't want to "trigger" people by adding a burglar. If that's the case, I honestly just can't with EA anymore. There is no need to walk on eggshells to avoid offending everyone all of the sudden. It's not like the burglars come in and murder everyone. They steal your toilet or TV and leave. Jeez.

@Nikoa I'm not actually sure if they really said this but if they did then it'd be a downright lie (hello, vampires?). I think it was just a rumour though. Personally I couldn't care less for burglars, they were just annoying to me. Firefighters I would like though.
  • Options
    megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    Honestly, if I had heard that I would have taken it as a joke (as has been established) since I have GTW and the police station. I mean, if they truly didn't want crime in the game they would have picked another career there.

@LesboKnope @Yelleb yup!!
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • Options
    MysticOneMysticOne Posts: 460 Member
    That's just one of many things that makes this game so boring. It's a lazy way of putting a game together and telling us to deal with. After all, the kids aren't complaining. They like playing house. Then there is the matter that if they made burglars, that would mean they'd have to make cops. And then what?! Then we just might ask for a fire department!