Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why we have no "burglars", the EA internal rumor.

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
So my buddy at EA sports in burnaby is a talker, type who loves talking about work rumors, people and just about anything in his field of vision. We meet for beers usually when he's got a new EA game for me and the conversations can be rather entertaining. Now sometimes he drops Sim nuggets that I can share here with the community (that doesn't involve somebody specific) but rather game related.

The nugget I received today involves why there's no burglars in the Sims 4. Like most of you, I assumed we'd get burglars in "get to work". Sure there's an icon, but there's also an icon for a woohoo skill in the base game - neither of which ever materialized in the Sims 4.

Well now we might know why, as the rumor goes that "burglars" aren't in the Sims 4 - because they might "trigger" sensitive players.

I of course was like, "give me a break" but he was like "no, no no listen!" as apparently somebody during design felt that due to the nature of the Sims 4's focus on the "home space lot", that a burglar invading said space could feel like a violation to players, including inducing anxiety and possible trigger players who have experienced similar experiences.

Now I pointed out this seemed like a stretch considering previous Sims games had burglars, but my friend pointed out the Sims 4 was made for a new generation, with a team of producers surrounded by people OF that generation who would point out that the invasion of their home or safe place could create feelings of discomfort or possible even triggering. Indirectly I can see his point, I've been playing games for a long time and a lot of the stuff in earlier games I've played a decade ago would certainly NEVER make the cut in todays politically charged gaming environment.

This feedback would certainly go into such a decision as to cut them or not.

My friend also pointed out that in "get to work" you investigate crimes, but that's not the same as "BEING the victim of a crime".

They've certainly had a lot of opportunity to add burglars with various expansions and patches (and who knows we might still get them!) However if you look at the overall goofy nature of much of the Sims 4, I could certainly see some truth in creating a safer, happy experience for sims players. Certainly being the victim of a burglary would be the opposite.

Now HOW much of this was embellishment on my friends part is hard to say, he LOVES to make a point - but still the basics of the rumor are believable - that "burglars" are simply no longer appropriate in a game like the Sims 4 targeting a new generation of players.

That might explain a lot more about the Sims 4 overall, if you think of it being created to target a new generation of gamers rather then the last.

EDIT: I'm not passing judgement here, stating an opinion or alike - just passing on a rumor. Take from it what you will.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Gimme a break. Sims players are young, and that generation does have some odd ideas, but it just doesn't cut it when:
    • Vampires do exactly the same thing. They break in, and have to be guarded against.
    • There exist methods to allow players to opt-in to a burglary system: Lot Traits.

All they have to do, is include a "Neighborhood Watch" trait to disable burglars if they're enabled by default, or a "Bad Part of Town" trait to enable burglars if they're initially disabled. Maxis could choose whichever trait they prefer, and the end result would be the same.

Maybe this would've flied back on release (even if it's a plum, plum, plum reason), but Maxis as now released something functionally identical to burglars, and nobody's kicking up (much of) a fuss. People complained for a bit, then they learned to adapt, either by deleting Vlad or by growing garlic.

And Lot Traits were practically designed for this.

True but vampires are optional and I know a lot of people who wouldn't bother with that pack in general. If the base game is to represent a foundation and that foundation is meant to be what is defined as socially "normal" then packs are to allow players the choice of what "other" type of content they want in their game. On the flip side one would think a expansion that focuses on crime and punishment would include burglars too. Food for thought.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    Gimme a break. Sims players are young, and that generation does have some odd ideas, but it just doesn't cut it when:
    • Vampires do exactly the same thing. They break in, and have to be guarded against.
    • There exist methods to allow players to opt-in to a burglary system: Lot Traits.

All they have to do, is include a "Neighborhood Watch" trait to disable burglars if they're enabled by default, or a "Bad Part of Town" trait to enable burglars if they're initially disabled. Maxis could choose whichever trait they prefer, and the end result would be the same.

Maybe this would've flied back on release (even if it's a plum, plum, plum reason), but Maxis as now released something functionally identical to burglars, and nobody's kicking up (much of) a fuss. People complained for a bit, then they learned to adapt, either by deleting Vlad or by growing garlic.

True but vampires are optional and I know a lot of people who wouldn't bother with that pack in general. If the base game is to represent a foundation and that foundation is meant to be what is defined as socially "normal" then packs are to allow players the choice of what "other" type of content they want in their game. On the flip side one would think a expansion that focuses on crime and punishment would include burglars too. Food for thought.

But Lot Traits allow for optional burglars, as well.

And, I repeat. It's a stupid, stupid, stupid rumour. I wouldn't be surprised if your friend is basing this 99% on his own opinion, and 1% on what he heard. It's a classic game of Chinese Whispers.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017

But Lot Traits allow for optional burglars, as well.

And, I repeat. It's a plum, plum, plum rumour. I wouldn't be surprised if your friend is basing this 99% on his own opinion, and 1% on what he heard. It's a classic game of Chinese Whispers.

All totally true, who really knows with rumors but he's not into the Sims games himself so whenever he has something to tell me about them its usually already made the rounds at his work for people who care. Work rumors usually start from some form of truth...or the CIA lol.
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    If this is really true, and while it wouldn't surprise me, I am finding it a bit hard to believe, then it is just mind numbingly dumb.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2017
    So the takeaway is that an anonymous dude on the internet said that another anonymous dude on the internet that does not work at the Maxis studios said that millennials are responsible for The Sims 4 not having burglars.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me but I am more inclined to believe it has something to do with the mechanics of the game than triggers. Maids never worked right, there are no police or firefighter visits and the vampires that come aren't supposed to from what I understand unless you seek them out and 'unlock' then for your neighborhood but I get a visit at least once a week from Vladaslaus or however you spell that sneaking in and drinking my sims in the middle of the night even though they've never researched, gone to vampire land, or befriended any of the night children.

So my thoughts were that the burglars simply didn't work right and they opted not to add them.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Sigh...
  • Options
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    So the takeaway is that an anonymous dude on the internet said that another anonymous dude on the internet that does not work at the Maxis studios said that millennials are responsible for The Sims 4 not having burglars.

Oh and that the anonymous dude's friend also gives him free download codes for EA games. Saves me lots of money! ;)
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    So a perfect world? Bah, no such thing.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited September 2017

Yep, pretty much. And this anonymous dude (Tolkien) heard it from an anonymous dude (his friend) who heard it from another anonymous dude (ie. water cooler chit-chat) who heard it from another anonymous dude, who probably doesn't even work at Maxis.

That's if it's even true at all. Tolkien could just be trying to stir the pot.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    SmilinSimsSmilinSims Posts: 560 Member
    Amen.

Maybe this would've flied back on release (even if it's a plum, plum, plum reason), but Maxis has since released something functionally identical to burglars, and nobody's kicking up (much of) a fuss. People complained for a bit, then they learned to adapt, either by deleting Vlad or by growing garlic.

Do you want to WIN the new Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff Pack??? To WIN you MUST be subscribed to my YOUTUBE channel Watch contest video for rules!

acrehk.jpg

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Just give us the lot-traits and we will sort it out for ourselves :) keeping fingers crossed that we will see burglars in the game one day.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    My Uncle works for Nintendo and he said you're lying. ;)

Meaning no offense, but I don't buy this.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Livinity wrote: »
    Come on, people wanted to have control over freaking acne because it triggers them, because they want their sims always pretty and shinny, there's a lot of control freaks here, no offense. And now you guys are having a bad time to believe they don't introduce burglars and such to avoid exactly that? I don't doubt it at all, some people WILL be triggered by it, I assure you that and they won't stop whinning about it. I don't know if it's true or not, even your buddy can't say that for sure, but I don't think it's too far from reality. Don't burn me alive, please. It's just the way I see it.

I don't buy it because of all the other stuff the base game lacked. Pools, Toddlers, Ghosts, etc.

And we're still missing police men (besides gtw), firemen, burglars etc.

The reason isn't that it triggered someone. The reason is because the Sims 4 was an unfinished mess at launch, and just like everything else they had to cut it due to lack of time.

We already know Toddlers ghosts and pools were all planned to be in the game from the start.

The only thing now is for them to decide if making burglars are a good use of resources that could go to something else.

If you want burglars back we need to make some noise.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Looking at the game as a whole and bearing in mind recent comments about the game being a safe space, this wouldn't surprise me.

Also could be that maybe they don't work as someone said. Repair men seem broken, maids aren't much better and no one wants a situation where the burglar refuses to go lol

Right now there's no point in the burglar, we have no police to catch them.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

Yep, pretty much. And this anonymous dude (Tolkien) heard it from an anonymous dude (his friend) who heard it from another anonymous dude (ie. water cooler chit-chat) who heard it from another anonymous dude, who probably doesn't even work at Maxis.

That's if it's even true at all. Tolkien could just be trying to stir the pot.

Yep and it isn't the first time he has been on here talking about his buddy and his wealth of information. Surly it wont be the last either.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    And just to be clear about it, since I remember the acne thing. The way they managed it clearly points to the utopia direction, they could've made them like real, spontaneous, out of our control, like in real life acne. They managed it with GTW diseases, so I don't see why not. But they didn't. People who played the older versions of this game can see it, they're changing directions, that's a fact.
  • Options
    LivinityLivinity Posts: 455 Member
    @Zeldaboy180 thats another factor, for sure. But since we got a lot (if not all) of what was missing from the base game at this point, I don't doubt they have a cold feet about burglars and don't want it to backfire.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Isn't this the same generation that plays GTA and watches horror movies like saw?
    I mean, there is nothing wrong with that. But games, shows and movies, even commercials and news have become much more violent and are often viewed by younger audiences. Let's not pretend teens nowadays are more fragile.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top