Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Laptop Help?

Hello everyone,

As stated in the title, I am looking for a new laptop that can handle, on at least medium settings TS3 and TS4.

Before anyone says that they think I should get a desktop, Let me tell you why I won't be doing that. I am a senior in high school who is currently taking 2 virtual classes online in addition to regular schoil classes, and am a soon to be college student this coming summer, hopefully. As you can see, my laptop need is pretty heavy.

As far as my computer needs, I'm currently running 3 and 4 on a Compaq Presario CQ57 2GB ram computer (this computer is so ancient that there is no direct link to the specs, but for an idea, it goes for 98 dollard on ebay.) on this computer I playes with customized settings and experienced little to no lag on both games. (Don't ask me how, idk)

The computer I am currently thibing of buying is this one.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-5000-touch/spd/inspiron-15-5565-laptop/dncwgamd2849s

Just to keep in mind, I don't play the sims every day, and most sessions are done on weekends when I have little to no homework.

And thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    The game requires desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware . You also can't upgrade a laptop processor and video card. You are stuck with the specs you buy. If playing on laptop the laptop needs to meet the recommended requirements on desktop so you don't fall behind adding any additions to the game. That dell does not meet requirements to run the game. It has an integrated video card and processor.

To play on laptop you need

processor Intel i7 quad core which will end in HQ or MQ after the series number

video card you need Nvidia GTX 960m, 970m, 1050, 1050 ti, 1060 depending on your budget

8gb ram. 16 gb if future proofing

at leat 500 gb hard drive space or more

Windows 10 64 bit.
  • Options
    xiaoisxiaois Posts: 141 Member
    The game requires desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware . You also can't upgrade a laptop processor and video card. You are stuck with the specs you buy. If playing on laptop the laptop needs to meet the recommended requirements on desktop so you don't fall behind adding any additions to the game. That dell does not meet requirements to run the game. It has an integrated video card and processor.

To play on laptop you need

processor Intel i7 quad core which will end in HQ or MQ after the series number

video card you need Nvidia GTX 960m, 970m, 1050, 1050 ti, 1060 depending on your budget

8gb ram. 16 gb if future proofing

at leat 500 gb hard drive space or more

Windows 10 64 bit.

my other laptop is well below the specs as mentioned initially and I barely have lag on it.

my biggest hurdle would be price because I'm not paying for it, my grandmother is, and we don't have money to throw around like others.
  • Options
    what do you think about the Dell XPS 13?
  • Options
    IllyDior wrote: »
    what do you think about the Dell XPS 13?

it does not meet requirements . EA upped the computer specs for this new ep. As you add more, the game is going to become more demanding to your computer. The game is not complete. EA put recommended specs for a reason. Desktop is always better. Laptops to run this game are more expensive. As I mentioned before your stuck with the specs you buy on laptop. If you buy a laptop under requirements you may not survive the game with all it's add ons. You will then be stuck with a laptop that can't run the game and a game you can no longer play.
  • Options
    I'm on tablet so I can't search for a laptop for you. Are you in the USA ? You can find laptops that meet requirements on amazon for around $800. If your not in the USA what country? @chesterbigbird can help you
  • Options
    I am in the USA @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @IllyDior I did find some laptops on Amazon that should get you by for the whole game. Clevo and MSI make much better gaming laptops than Dell.

This is the best option. Clevo makes a good gaming laptop. This has a better processor than the other two below. The game is processor heavy. Has two hard drives. One small ssd for booting windows and a second 1 tb hard drive to game on. You would have to install your documents and the game on the second hard drive which is not hard to do https://www.amazon.com/N855HJ-1920x1080-i7-7700HQ-Bluetooth-Warranty/dp/B01MR897ZZ/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1505390102&sr=8-17&keywords=1050+gtx+laptop

This only has 256 gb total hard drive space. Its fine for the game if you not using the laptop for anything else. You can store pics, documents ect on a usb flash drive. This is overall is still a better laptop than the Dell below. https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL62M-7RD-1407-Performance-SteelSeries/dp/B072QT88DG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505390102&sr=8-5&keywords=1050+gtx+laptop

This is a 3rd party seller https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i5577-5328BLK-PUS-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B06XFG7157/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505390102&sr=8-4&keywords=1050+gtx+laptop

• Options
    edited September 2017
    This is the same clevo laptop I posted on Amazon. Newegg is a reputable company. This might come out cheaper than Amazon because Newegg charges no tax if you live outside CA, TN and NJ

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAATJ57Z9667&cm_re=gtx_1050_laptop-_-9SIAATJ57Z9667-_-Product
  • Options
    Is there anything smaller? Im not looking to buy a gaming laptop, because as I said, I don't play the game that often, and this will mainly be for my classes. Gaming laptops are notoriously heavy. @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The problem is the game requires a gaming desktop. EA put out requirements on this game for a reason. You need a higher end gaming laptop to equal the requirements on desktop. As I mentioned you can't upgrade a laptop. Your stuck with the specs you buy. Your laptop needs to meet requirements if you want to survive the game . You need good cooling while gaming. Gaming laptops have much better cooling. This is why they are thicker and weigh more.

You would be better off buying a desktop to game on and a cheap laptop for school.

The acer nitro is said to weigh less https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316155&cm_re=acer_v_nitro-_-34-316-155-_-Product
  • Options
  • Options
    It comes in i3 i5 and i7
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It comes in i3 i5 and i7

Edit I thought I was in a different thread. I'm sorry but I have done all I can to give you laptops that meet requirements. If none of them are to your liking there is nothing I can do further help you with Sorry
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    It comes in i3 i5 and i7

This game requires a quad core. Some laptop i3, i5 and i7 are dual core. you don't want dual core . that laptop you posted is a dual core
  • Options
    Okay thanks for your help. One more question.. I'm switching back over to the sims 3 as of now which is something that I do a lot. Are the requirements for ts3 less than those of ts4? And once again thankyou for all of your help. I am a bit difficult to deal with, so thanks for putting up with me. Lol @phoebebebe13
  • Options
    Thats ok. We don't want anyone to get stuck with a computer that can't run the games you want to. You buy a lower end laptop and it won't run your games, your stuck with a laptop that can't play your games and a game you can no longer play. The recommended requirements to run the whole sims 3 is the same as the complete sims 4 (when the sims 4 is complete) The sims 3 requires a gaming computer. Especially for pets, seasons , itf and IP. As I mentioned you can't upgrade a laptop processor and video card. Your stuck with the specs you buy. You need to make sure those laptop specs meet recommended requirements
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    It might be playable if you are willing to adjust your settings (duel core). You will also have to be aware that adding any more to the game might be problematic. I understand what you are saying about needing something light for school, but it is a hard compromise between gaming and productivity. Check out Ebay, there are some good bargains for gaming systems, and you can find some good refurbished items on many sites for your productivity needs. You didn't mention what budget you do have, so that would be a good place to start. Also if you are not against financing, Microsoft is offering interest free financing on their new Surface Laptop (I have one) it comes to about $41 dollars a month. This would allow more budget for a gaming system. Just a few ideas for you.
  • Options
    Mendota wrote: »
    It might be playable if you are willing to adjust your settings (duel core). You will also have to be aware that adding any more to the game might be problematic. I understand what you are saying about needing something light for school, but it is a hard compromise between gaming and productivity. Check out Ebay, there are some good bargains for gaming systems, and you can find some good refurbished items on many sites for your productivity needs. You didn't mention what budget you do have, so that would be a good place to start. Also if you are not against financing, Microsoft is offering interest free financing on their new Surface Laptop (I have one) it comes to about $41 dollars a month. This would allow more budget for a gaming system. Just a few ideas for you.

We don't recommend used or refurbished laptops. Laptop hardware is not sold to the public. If they have no warranty or a short warranty you may get stuck. If they no longer make your laptop hardware throw away the laptop and you will have to buy a new one. Always buy new if buying a laptop. You have the option to get extended warranty with several laptop manufacturers
  • Options
    Well I would generally agree, but Ebay does offer a pretty good warranty. Actually better than Dells to be honest. And companies such as Apple and Microsoft sell refurbished items with full warranty as well. Those are the options I was referring to. I agree that new is always best, but was only offering options as she stated that money was not something they had to throw around. Never really know what to say to that.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Mendota wrote: »
    Well I would generally agree, but Ebay does offer a pretty good warranty. Actually better than Dells to be honest. And companies such as Apple and Microsoft sell refurbished items with full warranty as well. Those are the options I was referring to. I agree that new is always best, but was only offering options as she stated that money was not something they had to throw around. Never really know what to say to that.

The problem is if the hardware is no longer made and they can't replace the hardware, the laptop becomes a throw away. We have seen people buy used and refurbished off ebay and it has not been a good experience. I don't like telling people sorry you need to buy a new computer. OP has an $800 range budget and i gave them plenty of options for new laptops with new hardware that meet requirements, If they want to game they are going to need a laptop that might be slightly heavier than they're use to . They also have the option to buy a desktop and get a cheap laptop for school
  • Options
    I agree that your way is best @phoebebebe13 and I was suggesting that they might want to buy two systems. That is why I mentioned the finance option for her school notebook. That way she could possibly have two computers without hardship.
  • Options
    @Mendota I agree. You can get a cheaper desktop at walmart for about $600 that meets requirements( last I checked) You can get a cheaper tablet for school. that's what my son does. he has the gaming desktop at home and takes the cheap tablet to school .
  • Options
    I just want to thank you for all of your help. I just talked to my grandma and she consented to the possibility of a desktop and a laptop so I'll be looking into your above suggesticks more but I'm really leaning towards the Acer Aspire you linked. Thanks you so much.
  • Options
    I just want to thank you for all of your help. I just talked to my grandma and she consented to the possibility of a desktop and a laptop so I'll be looking into your above suggesticks more but I'm really leaning towards the Acer Aspire you linked. Thanks you so much.

The acer nitro i posted would be good. It has two hard drives one being ssd. The sims 3 loads much quicker on ssd. Its not a large ssd but enough to play the sims 3 on with windows. You can install the sims 3 on SSD and then install the sims 4 on the second hard drive which is not hard to do.

If you decide on desktop just let me know and i'll see what I can dig up. I don't know if Walmart has that cheap desktop I found a month ago for $628. It's hard to find a computer in that price range that meets all requirements.