Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can anyone suggest good image hosting websites?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Some people are currently not affected, which is why you can still see, upload, and post your photos. However, you should definitely jump ship now rather than waiting for the inevitable blocking. I use Photobucket to host my side images that I don't want on Flickr, and they too are still showing atm, but I'm not taking any chances since I did get an email saying my 3rd party hosting has been blocked.

I wanted to move them to Imgur anyways, so this is the perfect excuse, but I really wish it didn't affect old pictures. All old threads that use Photobucket are now going to be broken. History, gone, because they decided to be greedy. :/

that would have been a good solution. The best! Keep the old pics but any new one you have to pay for. That would have been respectful to the users. And it's a shame they gave such little notice. I don't live in the usa but someone said the email was sent at night. Basically they made sure people couldn't back up their stuff but they can say they sent out a warning email. Such 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Some people are currently not affected, which is why you can still see, upload, and post your photos. However, you should definitely jump ship now rather than waiting for the inevitable blocking. I use Photobucket to host my side images that I don't want on Flickr, and they too are still showing atm, but I'm not taking any chances since I did get an email saying my 3rd party hosting has been blocked.

I wanted to move them to Imgur anyways, so this is the perfect excuse, but I really wish it didn't affect old pictures. All old threads that use Photobucket are now going to be broken. History, gone, because they decided to be greedy. :/

that would have been a good solution. The best! Keep the old pics but any new one you have to pay for. That would have been respectful to the users. And it's a shame they gave such little notice. I don't live in the usa but someone said the email was sent at night. Basically they made sure people couldn't back up their stuff but they can say they sent out a warning email. Such plum.

With the explosion of cloud storage solutions over the past ten years or so this doesn't surpirise me.
    The advertisers were most likely paying them for eyeballs on the site it'self, and with all the new competition (less traffic) plus ad blockers, well the cashflow probably just dried up.

Their behavior kinda smacks of desperation.

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited July 2017
    Trowicia wrote: »
    I can't sign up to imgur for some reason.
    What's the limit on it?

There are absolutely NO limits on Imgur, outside of the typical policies image hosting sites have.
    You get unlimited storage, and your pictures will never expire as long as you're hosting them on an account you create for free. They have a really simple anti-bot tool in place if you plan to upload images in large bulk, but don't worry, it's just a one-click captcha module to verify you not botting.

Also, what's the reason you're unable to sign up?
    Alright thanks for the info. When I have fille dout all the needed fields and click next or submit or whatever it says it goes to a new page but doesn't load.
    Is this only being implemented to certain accounts or something? I haven't checked all of the photos I've uploaded here, but one I posted the other day is still showing up (seen here, 4th post down) and that was posted with Photobucket.
    My forum is okay too for some reason. But my blog is gone.

You can also log in with Facebook if you have one for imgur.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited July 2017
    I used PhotoBucket since at least 2005. They have forsaken us.

I saw postimage.io suggested on another website and I quickly uploaded my images to there instead. They have an account feature, but I'm not sure if it works as well as PhotoBucket. It's a shame.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I have used Photobucket since 2008, but today I deleted my account and signed up on Imgur. I feel sad for a friend who has over 48,000 pics on Photobucket, and she has paid them $40 per year, but that's not enough. She's still not allowed to post the pics on forums and blogs. :disappointed: It's so *plum*!

She has paid them money for years to use their services for posting pics on forums/blogs, but now they've changed their terms & conditions without sending out any information, and even the pics she shared during the years she paid for it, and was allowed to, will be blocked.

Many millions of images are now gone, so millions of sites are now useless. Maybe you want to look at a tutorial about how to make CC for your game, and the pics are gone. :angry:

Don't use Tinypic. It's owned by Photobucket, and I think they will go out of business soon. The $400 thing is probably a desperate move from them, trying to save the company.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I took a look at Photobucket once and ended up going with FLickr instead because of their 1tb storage limit for free accounts and paid accounts only get the added benefit of going ad-free.I've been using Flickr for years and can post many different sizes of images by right clicking to copy the image code from the size of image I want to post in the view all sizes page.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ScarletPipperScarletPipper Posts: 546 Member
    I use Flickr too because of pretty much all of the reasons stated above. It's free and really efficient in producing addresses for all photo sizes. I just keep my account on private and everything's good.
    Sims 4 player and builder!
    37245817526_0930d9f6c5_b.jpg
    Request from me or one of my great teammates!
    Gallery | Showcase
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @Jessa_Dakkar posted a topic similar to this, so I thought I'd respond with the same message in case people are still having issues responding.

I do have another photobucket account that I need to move my images from, but I have downloaded all albums from the account I was currently using. It took all day, so I'll have to revisit my old account another time.

I made a pros and cons list for two different sites, flickr and imgur. I've decided to use both because they each have something that I like and can't get from the other site.

Flickr

Pros:
    - Uploads faster
    - Resizing is easier
    - Keeps the picture name (i.e. Screenshot 1 is still screenshot 1)
    * This has been super helpful when replacing the pictures in my threads

Cons:
    - The sharing links are long and a lot of it would need to be deleted to get the image part
    - It's attached to Yahoo (I'm not sure why this bothers me but it does)
    - Doesn't maintain images with transparent backgrounds

Imgur

Pros:
    - The interface is simple
    - The links are easier to use (no deleting loads of unneeded text to get the image part)
    - Maintains images with transparent backgrounds

Cons:
    - Resizing is a pain (I'd need to enter the dimensions of each photo and then share)
    - It's slower to upload photos in bulk
    - Although simple, I don't like the look of the interface
    - Doesn't keep the name of the picture in the link

Flickr will most likely be my main source and I'll use imgur as a back up and for images with transparent backgrounds!
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I just signed up to imgur. After EmmaVane and DeKay showed me how to get a picture to actually show up here it seems alright. :)
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    lovedigitlovedigit Posts: 1 New Member
    You can give lensdump.com a try. They do not compress images. Imgur does.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    lovedigit wrote: »
    You can give lensdump.com a try. They do not compress images. Imgur does.

I use Cubeupload and they're the only image host I've donated money to. Imgur didn't yard to badly compress my images but one day it started adding so many artifacts. :(
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    sdtfmsdtfm Posts: 333 Member
    I'd recommend Imgur as well.
  • Options
    Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
    I used to use Photobucket until it hit me with this cost. I now use Imgur as well, it is a lot easier to use (Besides it bugging out a bit and taking an entire night to finally realise my image was actually uploaded). The only other problem I had was with the mobile app. I can't get links on the app so I have to use the website. Besides that, I would say Imgur is a good place to try :)
  • Options
    naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    edited August 2017
    I use hostingpics
    you are not forced to have an account and you can resize your photos before sharing them
    and i've never encountered a limit

I only use it to post picture on the forum though, on my phone i use the google photos cloud, which has a limit but it's pretty large
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif