Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The more I look at the worlds, the less hope I have for cars...

LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
So I've been thinking about how cars could be added to the game and I've noticed that a lot the districts in TS4 are isolated away from the roads or have a few details that would make the addition of cars very unlikely.

For examples:

Magnolia Promenade: There's a road around that district. However, the whole area seems to be made for pedestrians only since there are chains that block access to the road. There's also not enough space for cars to drive through the area since the palm trees and flowers in the middle of the streets take most of the space.

Windenburg: Almost all the district there have no logical access to the roads for cars to use. Like Magnolia Promenade, most of these districts are lots built around a pedestrian zone. The island has no road at all.

San-Myshuno: Uptown and the Fashion district are both perched above the streets. No road access at all.
Arts Quarter: Again, lots built around a pedestrian zone. No logical road access.
Spice district: Similar layout, but this one is a bit better since there's a road that goes through the area. However, no parking spaces.

Willow Creek: This world makes more sense. However, I don't know how they would make the driveways connect to the road since the sidewalk will be in the way. (Might require a slope)

Oasis Springs: Has a bit more potential. There are built-in parking spaces in the commercial district. However, sidewalks are still in the way.

All those details make me believe that they have no plan to add cars into the game. That "5 lots around a pedestrian zone" layout just doesn't look right imo and I really don't think that they would've used it so often if they were really planning to add cars since they cannot drive there in the first place.

This also brings up the following question: How would they implement NPCs that require a vehicle (policemen & firefighters)?

Comments

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I'm fine with not having cars. I thought they were kind of silly in The Sims 2 when you'd just get in your car and disappear at the end of the lot. They made more sense in The Sims 3 with the open world and were a necessity for getting around. With The Sims 4 it would be the same as it was for The Sims 2, and at this stage I have no interest in reconstructing my lots to accommodate driveways and garages.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    I very sincerely doubt that they will add cars in this version. You'll probably have to wait until TS5 to even have hope for that. If they did bring in cars they would probably make it pointless by placing a world entirely designed around the idea, and it be the only one with cars lmao
    All I know is I miss watching my Sims go off to work in limos and helicopters. I could play TS3 but the sims lack something in emotional depth and I end up just wishing TS4 was better lmao
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    LykkeLeaf wrote: »
    How would they implement NPCs that require a vehicle (policemen & firefighters)?
    How'd they do it in TS2?
    There's your answer. :)

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Cars will never happen, or if they do, they'll be largely stationary and we won't see them pull out of the driveway.

Cross it off your most wanted list now to save yourself the disappointment.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    FalyniosFalynios Posts: 298 Member
    i dunno why you (or anyone else) had any hope for them in the first place tbh
  • Options
    LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
    edited June 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    LykkeLeaf wrote: »
    How would they implement NPCs that require a vehicle (policemen & firefighters)?
    How'd they do it in TS2?
    There's your answer. :)

In TS2, the policemen and firefighters arrived in their respective vehicle, on the road right in front of the house.
    I can't really see that happening in Windenburg, Uptown, the fashion district, etc.
    I guess they can make them come without their vehicle, but then I don't understand why they wouldn't have been implemented already.

Cars will never happen, or if they do, they'll be largely stationary and we won't see them pull out of the driveway.

Cross it off your most wanted list now to save yourself the disappointment.

Oh I crossed it off my most wanted list a long time ago. Even though stationary cars are the most likely outcome (in the unlikely event that they would implement them), I don't even think they would look right in those worlds.

When CL was announced, I was kinda expecting them to add decorative bus stops and subway stations (with spawn points near them) to make it more immersive, but even that was too much to hope for it seems. (I'm not even sure if those things I saw in San-Myshuno were subway stations because they really don't look like it.)

• Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    Buses and taxis would work.
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    I have never thought they would add cars, and to be frankly honest the people that always whine, and beg for them kinda irk me. As your post stated TS4 is not made for cars. Hopefully people will read this and will understand that now. Thank you for taking the time to post your observations and thoughts.

And for some more honesty, I'm glad there is no cars. I didn't get to play TS3, but my understanding is that alot of problems it had were due to cars. There is a mod, to clean up the cars on the road, that TS3 people pretty much have to have to make the game mostly playable. TS4 is already bad enough, we don't need to make is worse by adding cars.

In a few years when technology and computers are better, they can make a game that has an open world, with cars, and CASt and all those wonderful things that were great about TS3 but basically broke it in the end. I'm not talking TS5, but maybe TS6 or 7. IF the series makes it that far
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »

They are still cars though, what's the difference?
  • Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    BlueOvale wrote: »

They are still cars though, what's the difference?

By that I meant that we could still hop into a taxi or a bus instead of disappearing into thin air.
    It's the next best thing I suppose, although it would not add any sort of game play.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Cars would be Kind of pointless anyway. In TS4 when you are on a lot you press "m" to travel, it takes you immediately to the Location you want. You don't have to waste time watching them leave and actively "go" there.

However, if TS5 is open world again I expect them to bring Transportation back.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    simmerbrentleysimmerbrentley Posts: 203 Member
    edited June 2017
    I agree, cars won't work with most Sims 4 neighborhoods. The only way they could make cars work is if they acted more as a prop that allowed you to click on them and select "travel to" like the phone does. There's actually a mod on MTS that does just that. Other than that workaround I can't really imagine another solution to the car delima. I don't really notice their absence from TS4 anyways.
  • Options
    EpicSimsEpicSims Posts: 397 Member
    I am sorry I'm saying this but I think this game is....um... hopeless!!
    Personally I don't like the newest pack and an upcoming Fitness pack.
    There is no world-editing tool. We are not allowed to build apartments freely from the beginning.
    There are not many fun activities and items such as more sports, vacation getaways, photo booths and so on.
    I think the game has already been in a wrong direction for long!!
    Like... releasing many stuff packs including just one or two cool features/items and taking tool long for one game/expansion pack. L[ei]m!!
    And like you said, it seems that there's no room for cars in this game. Look at all the backdrops, especially the fake train in San Myshuno.
    @#$%##%%$#!@#$%^%$#@#$!!!!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have never thought they would add cars, and to be frankly honest the people that always whine, and beg for them kinda irk me. As your post stated TS4 is not made for cars. Hopefully people will read this and will understand that now. Thank you for taking the time to post your observations and thoughts.

And for some more honesty, I'm glad there is no cars. I didn't get to play TS3, but my understanding is that alot of problems it had were due to cars. There is a mod, to clean up the cars on the road, that TS3 people pretty much have to have to make the game mostly playable. TS4 is already bad enough, we don't need to make is worse by adding cars.

In a few years when technology and computers are better, they can make a game that has an open world, with cars, and CASt and all those wonderful things that were great about TS3 but basically broke it in the end. I'm not talking TS5, but maybe TS6 or 7. IF the series makes it that far

I really don't understand how you can knock TS3 if you never played it. Cars and riding in them and getting out of them have been part of The Sims since day one. Even cabs. And what is the point of building ranch type houses with fake garage doors if we can't have cars? It's like an insult to see those murals of garage doors that came in CL. Don't you think? What is up with that? It's like 'here, here are some fake garage doors, have fun.' lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2017
    HalloMolli wrote: »
    Cars would be Kind of pointless anyway. In TS4 when you are on a lot you press "m" to travel, it takes you immediately to the Location you want. You don't have to waste time watching them leave and actively "go" there.

However, if TS5 is open world again I expect them to bring Transportation back.

Well, I guess that Road Trip survey just meant text message, right? take a trip etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

I really don't understand how you can knock TS3 if you never played it. Cars and riding in them and getting out of them have been part of The Sims since day one. Even cabs. And what is the point of building ranch type houses with fake garage doors if we can't have cars? It's like an insult to see those murals of garage doors that came in CL. Don't you think? What is up with that? It's like 'here, here are some fake garage doors, have fun.' lol

Oh no, I'm not knocking it, quite the opposite. It might not have come across that way in my post tho.

Lemme see if i can clarify: TS3 is a great game. I dont have to play it to see that. All the things that make it so great, such as the open world, CASt, and cars, also caused many problems. In other words, it was before its time. In the future when technologies and computer improve, we can have a Sims game with all the things that made TS3 great, but it will be playable.

Maybe thats better? When i wanted to start simming again, I chose 4 over 3, because of all the problems 3 had. I wanted a game that i could actually play. I spent alot of time making that choice. What was the deciding factor in the end was playability. There was many many instances, I had read, of people building computers just to play 3. They still weren't able to play 3 smoothly. In those instances, and many more people said the problems were due to, too many cars on the road, all the different and competing patterns from CASt, and the open world.

ETA If I could've actually played TS3, on my computer with the packs i wanted, i would've chose 3 over 4 in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

Yeah, amongst a small list of other things, the teleport-to-work thing was one of the main reasons that had me thinking Sims 4 wasn't a completed game. It's super weird and it's something that took time to get used to; even Sims 1 had carpools. Here Sims just fade out of existence to go to work.

This is a life simulator. It's supposed to simulate life to the best of it's ability. That they chose a world where they can't account for cars, firefighters, cops, burglars or garages, but they did make sure everyone can own their own rocket ship...? That's terrible priorities, and I hope the person responsible for it got a serious talking to.

And on the garages note, that one's a problem too. They have that lazy universal foundation system that makes building backyard sheds impossible (well not impossible, but they look weird) and the same problem could affect garages. It just doesn't look good for cars.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    For all we know they could do an update to all the maps so that they have roads.
    I SWEAR my maps look different from how they originally did when I first started anyway, but I could be tripping out.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    Replace toddlers with cars, boom, same thing. ( Or how about your theory that the engine couldn't handle things like toddlers or cars )

There's a BIIIIIG difference, dude. One is already a lot of work to create, but the sales figures show it was highly important to the life of Sims 4 to make toddlers. The other involves repathing the worlds themselves and could invalidate our current saves. It's tons of work for a minor immersion factor that we could begrudgingly do without.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Replace toddlers with cars, boom, same thing. ( Or how about your theory that the engine couldn't handle things like toddlers or cars )

There's a BIIIIIG difference, dude. One is already a lot of work to create, but the sales figures show it was highly important to the life of Sims 4 to make toddlers. The other involves repathing the worlds themselves and could invalidate our current saves. It's tons of work for a minor immersion factor that we could begrudgingly do without.
    Don't always bring down posts with your negativity cars could happen. I am not triggered to be upset with what you say but others might.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

What sales figures :o
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options

Don't always bring down posts with your negativity cars could happen. I am not triggered to be upset with what you say but others might.

The point of the OP, is the probability of Cars ever coming to TS4 is very slight. The OP goes on to elaborate on the reason why they think this. While i dont always agree with DerservedCriticism I dont think (s)he is bringing this thread down. If someone is here looking for false hope concerning cars, well this isnt the thread for them.
  • Options
    elelunicy wrote: »

What sales figures :o

@elelunicy In another thread someone quoted they saw a 33% spike in active users after the release of toddlers. I can go pull it up if you want.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2017

The point of the OP, is the probability of Cars ever coming to TS4 is very slight. The OP goes on to elaborate on the reason why they think this. While i dont always agree with DerservedCriticism I dont think (s)he is bringing this thread down. If someone is here looking for false hope concerning cars, well this isnt the thread for them.
    Ok but I never said don't bring the post down with your negativity to the OP. Also everyone said that about toddlers and we now have them.

Post edited by pepperjax1230 on
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641