Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pack Lunches... Is there a point?

I initially loved the idea of making sack lunches for my kids! Thought it would be cool to make them lunches for school.... Only to find out... they just sit in their inventory.... Am I doing something wrong? Or is there just no point other than aesthetics to a sack lunch?

Comments

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    My experience is unless the sim is hungry there is no point as sadly they go uneaten and will rot in the inventory.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Just don't make your sims eat breakfast I guess before they go off to work or school. I do wish though, even if they don't eat the sacked lunch, that it would just disappear from their inventories anyway, because they go bad regardless. Also they appear to go bad quite quickly when in the fridge, that's probably a bug.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Ha, ha! I was about to create this discussion myself!

I have a club of geeks who gather in the library and spend a day on the computers. Maybe the lunches will be handy for them since there is no kitchen or no nearby grilling/seating area?
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I didn't know the packed lunches go bad? Mine have been in my Sim's inventories for a few Sim days. I noticed that if my Sims don't eat breakfast they will eat that packed lunch at some point. I like it as my child Sims come home with a full hunger bar and I have them do something else, since eating takes so long in my game.
  • Options
    notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    I hate the idea of skipping breakfast because I love that realistic hectic morning routine, but I also love packing lunch!

Even though they bring home spoiled lunch, I simply think of it as a child bringing home their lunch box, maybe with a half eaten snack left in it or whatever. I just think of it as "cleaning out their lunch box/throwing out their empty or almost empty lunch bag" when they come home!

In real life I used to babysit for 3 kids and they would all put their lunchboxes on the counter as soon as they came home and then I would clean each one out for them so they were ready to be packed for the next day. So when my sim kids get home I click&drag their lunch sacs to the counters and then mom empties & cleans them up!

Of course the easier thing is just skip breakfast like everyone usually suggests! Or maybe just have them eat a little something in the morning but not too much, maybe like half of a quick meal!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I have found that if my sims eat something that isn't massively filling like a pizza slice for breakfast, they will usually eat the packed lunch later. It's a bit hit or miss but if they leave with a little bit of hunger left in the hunger bar, they will probably eat the sack lunch later.

Sometimes it does come back rotten or uneaten and even with the sim being hungry. I equate that to when I used to hide some of the sandwiches that were packed for me back in the day. Lol.

If I have time and they seem like they'll get hungry, I send them with a sack lunch. I figure that it's available as an option for them but they don't always eat it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Cereal, yogurt, etc. work as an okay breakfast too, so Sims are hungry by lunch.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Imho, I see the sack lunches as an useless or passive option. I also though they would eat the sack lunch. But even before it was introduced the Sims would eat and fulfil their hunger need.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Imho, I see the sack lunches as an useless or passive option. I also though they would eat the sack lunch. But even before it was introduced the Sims would eat and fulfil their hunger need.

I just have that sim skip breakfast and they always eat the sack lunch....if they go for the fridge, I just cancel that out and send them to do something else. Eating the sack lunch gives them a happy moodlet....so that's useful.
  • Options
    simmer_whoviansimmer_whovian Posts: 275 Member
    Like a lot of other people said, they have to be hungry to eat the sack lunch so skipping breakfast is the best way to go. It's quite easy in the household I play with currently because they have three teens, a child and a baby and mornings are usually so hectic with everyone going for the toilets and showers or doing some last minute socializing before work/school that there is no time for breakfast anyway. Which is why I usually have the parents or the teens themselves pack a lunch the evening before and I put it in their inventories right before they head out so it doesn't spoil before they eat it. I like the little moodlet they get from eating it too. Overall I quite enjoy having this option now.
  • Options
    RedRoxannRedRoxann Posts: 32 Member
    The morning routine for my four sims kids is shower, toilet, brush teeth, and write in journal. This way, they gain responsibility and Emotion Control first thing. They generally finish writing just before time for school. Meanwhile, the mom will be fixing sack lunch for each of the kids which I drag to their inventories before they leave. Also, it's faster to make sack lunches from leftover meals.

Time wise, you could substitute the kids drinking orange juice before school instead of writing in their journals as this would also give them a positive moodlet and help keep them healthy. For my families now, sitting down to a family breakfast is reserved for the weekends and they get pancakes and french toast. :)
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    I think it was discussed in another thread already, but at least in my game, even if the kids' hunger bars get red during the day, the don't eat the packet lunch, if there is a sim in the household I'm currently playing with on some other lot than the home lot. That kind of makes the packed lunches useless for me.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    They give the sims a happy moddlet and that's pretty much it, it works on YA/A too that go to work.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    JimG72 wrote: »

I just have that sim skip breakfast and they always eat the sack lunch....if they go for the fridge, I just cancel that out and send them to do something else. Eating the sack lunch gives them a happy moodlet....so that's useful.
    For you they may but for me they do not. It may be a bugged option. So if the option does not work for me, it is an useless option until they fix it and I would never use it if it does not work. Even if they skip breakfast or whatever they still will not touch that sack lunch, however it is no biggie for me. The sack lunch would work great if it worked like it should.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I love the packed lunch.

I have a lazy, irresponsible, noncommittal sim in my household. Getting that one to advance in his career isn't easy so I try to stack as many happy buffs as possible before he goes to work since he will always have a -1 from working. I let him eat his packed lunch as breakfast so that he goes in with a +1 happy since it lasts for so many hours. Also he gets to brush his teeth. They don't have a coffe maker or any of those luxuries yet, still don't have four walls on their lot. So the grill, the zink and sky-gazing is what I got to work with.

Just a fun tidbit. The irresponsible, noncommittal sim came to my household from the wishing well. My main sim gave the well 1000 simoleons and that's the one we went home with. Should have had made that 5000 I guess. Gave him the irresponsible trait and the compassionate trait because he is one fun sim to be around. Just don't expect him to pay the bills or remember the grocery list while going to the store. This ought to be a interesting generation.
  • Options
    RedRoxannRedRoxann Posts: 32 Member
    For those where the packed lunch isn't being consumed with a low hunger need while at school/work, are you using any mods or CC? It works for me every time as long as their hunter drops into the low yellow range.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    RedRoxann wrote: »
    For those where the packed lunch isn't being consumed with a low hunger need while at school/work, are you using any mods or CC? It works for me every time as long as their hunter drops into the low yellow range.

At least I don't use any mods or cc. Although, I haven't tried using the packed lunches since the latest patch, so perhaps I should check, if they got fixed, or if it was just a temporary problem. But anyway, the lunch not getting consumed only happens, if I have at least one sim in the household home and leaving the home lot, while the others are at school/work (if that sim stays home the whole day, the packed lunch gets eaten).
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    RedRoxann wrote: »

No mods or CC in my game.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I didn't know the packed lunches go bad? Mine have been in my Sim's inventories for a few Sim days. I noticed that if my Sims don't eat breakfast they will eat that packed lunch at some point. I like it as my child Sims come home with a full hunger bar and I have them do something else, since eating takes so long in my game.

If the Sim that packs the lunch has the Fresh Chef aspiration reward, the lunches don't go bad just like any other food s/he makes (I had my stay at home mom Sim finish that aspiration before Parenthood came out).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited June 2017

For you they may but for me they do not. It may be a bugged option. So if the option does not work for me, it is an useless option until they fix it and I would never use it if it does not work. Even if they skip breakfast or whatever they still will not touch that sack lunch, however it is no biggie for me. The sack lunch would work great if it worked like it should.

If your sims are going to work or school with a half-filled or less hunger bar and not eating the sack lunch, then someone is buggy with your game and you may need to repair. That doesn't make it a useless feature....it just means you, personally, have some sort of bug preventing the feature from being used. But for most of us, we can use the feature.

• Options
    kati77 wrote: »

At least I don't use any mods or cc. Although, I haven't tried using the packed lunches since the latest patch, so perhaps I should check, if they got fixed, or if it was just a temporary problem. But anyway, the lunch not getting consumed only happens, if I have at least one sim in the household home and leaving the home lot, while the others are at school/work (if that sim stays home the whole day, the packed lunch gets eaten).

I've noticed the same thing. This, I think, it's something that is buggy about the lunches. If I send a sim to work with the sack lunch and then take the other sim off-lot during the time that the lunch would normally be consumed, then they don't eat the sack lunch....just like you said. If I stay on-lot, the other sim will eat the sack lunch while at work.

• Options
    edited June 2017

If your sims are going to work or school with a half-filled or less hunger bar and not eating the sack lunch, then someone is buggy with your game and you may need to repair. That doesn't make it a useless feature....it just means you, personally, have some sort of bug preventing the feature from being used. But for most of us, we can use the feature.
    Is it my job to decode and recode the game so it will work properly? do not think so. I have used the repair option and it still does not work. As I have stated to you it may work for you but it does not for me and until EA/Maxis fixes it is an useless feature for me notice I said for me.. Even if it works for most and not for others does not necessarily mean it is not on the Dev side for the same can be said for those experiencing problems that others are not experiencing. I do not use Mods or CC in my game and before you start talking about specs all my systems are way above the recommend as posted in my signature block. So good for you that you can use the feature but again as said it is no biggie.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    As others said have the kids skip breakfast. It helps. And the point? I'm all for 'immersion', whether they ate it that day or not. It's usually not spoiled (if put in fridge night before) if they get home and are hungry at that moment they can just eat it and not waste it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I like pack lunches mine sometimes eat it other times I'm like...OK.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    About the only time I could see packing a lunch would be for a Saturday picnic in the park. Otherwise, I just toss it out.
    Origin ID: nik24x7