Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weird graphics on TS2

Comments

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2017
    High, I could fix the resolution now I finally found. I think the problem is solved.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Glad to hear it! Let us know if you run into any other graphical problems!
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    @Jordan061102 Your picture is too tiny so i can't really see.
    But do you mean that your sims don't look like my sims as example ?
    xbs0v8qva8ei.jpg
  • Options
    Yes, and thank you much for the help @Seera1024 ! :smile:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Sorry, didn't see that your problem was resolved, glad you can finally enjoy your game :)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @Jordan061102 What @Seera said... and a lot of people use Default replace skins on their Sims... I've used them for Ages- every since they came out. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Sorry, didn't see that your problem was resolved, glad you can finally enjoy your game :)

No problem, thank you. :smile:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    This will let us know how "too new" your card is.

What settings are they sitting at on average? High? Low? Medium?
    What screen size are you at? Did it let you set the screen size to at least closer to your monitor's size or is it stuck on 800x600?

I guess the OP got their problem fixed but I came here to figure out how to make my game look less pixilated. I have my game settings on High but lowered the shadows to get rid of the big black square under all my Sims.

I currently have an AMD Radeon R9 200 but it's been flaking out. I've ordered an Nvidia GTX960.

As mentioned, my game is quite pixilated. My card is set on 1440x900 and my game is "stuck" on 800x600 as you mentioned. Is there a way to change that or do I have to lower my card resolution to 800x600 to get better graphics?
  • Options

What screen size are you at? Did it let you set the screen size to at least closer to your monitor's size or is it stuck on 800x600?

I guess the OP got their problem fixed but I came here to figure out how to make my game look less pixilated. I have my game settings on High but lowered the shadows to get rid of the big black square under all my Sims.

I currently have an AMD Radeon R9 200 but it's been flaking out. I've ordered an Nvidia GTX960.

As mentioned, my game is quite pixilated. My card is set on 1440x900 and my game is "stuck" on 800x600 as you mentioned. Is there a way to change that or do I have to lower my card resolution to 800x600 to get better graphics?

Easiest would be the Graphics Rules Maker. It can be found here.

Let us know if you have any issues with that program.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I was just curious why you had asked the OP if their game was stuck at 800x600. It's my only option in the game settings which I thought was kinda weird.

EDIT: I did download the program and the only settings I chose were the resolution. I changed the max and default to what I have my video card settings on which is 1440x900. Saved everything and opened the Sims: same problem. The only option showing on the game settings is 800x600.

I am playing the UC version. Could that have anything to do with it?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Hi :)

Check out Leefish with info on config files- since I think I read the downloaded Graphics Rules Maker didn't work for you...
    http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888

Also, I know you don't want mods but the Shadow fixer really does help. If you have the black box inside this will give the shadow back without having to turn off Shadows for the whole game. :)
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585

• Options
    I was just curious why you had asked the OP if their game was stuck at 800x600. It's my only option in the game settings which I thought was kinda weird.

EDIT: I did download the program and the only settings I chose were the resolution. I changed the max and default to what I have my video card settings on which is 1440x900. Saved everything and opened the Sims: same problem. The only option showing on the game settings is 800x600.

I am playing the UC version. Could that have anything to do with it?

Because it is one of the classic signs the game's not recognizing your graphics card. Only super super super ancient cards that wouldn't work on today's systems would have a max resolution of 800x600, so the game forcing that resolution means the card isn't being recognized. It's also the one resolution that all cards can recognize - including the VERY basic one that comes installed on motherboards.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Check out Leefish with info on config files- since I think I read the downloaded Graphics Rules Maker didn't work for you...
    http://www.plum/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888

Also, I know you don't want mods but the Shadow fixer really does help. If you have the black box inside this will give the shadow back without having to turn off Shadows for the whole game. :)

LOL :D:D RiennaTelemnar just replace the plum with Leefish in the first link. The forum hates Leefish now..
  • Options
    @JULES1111 wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »

http://www.plum/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888

LOL :D:D RiennaTelemnar just replace the plum with Leefish in the first link. The forum hates Leefish now..

What? Well, Plum that's terrible. :(
    Check Leefish for graphic issues.
  • Options

So this link doesn't work:

http://www.leefish/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888

when typed it in my browser. What am I missing?

• Options

add a .nl after leefish
  • Options

add a .nl after leefish

Ya this, sorry I forgot that part. :/
  • Options

Just to clarify, I'm supposed to download the Graphics Ruler, change the resolutions settings as indicated and close the application and run the game as usual. Is that correct?

If so, I did that and nothing changed. I still only have 800x600 resolution available.

I don't understand what to do with Leefish. I'm being really careful with my system right now because I'm starting a new job working with a remote customer service company and need to make sure my system is super stable.

I did order a new video card for my system Nvidia GeForce GTX 960. I'm hoping some of my issues go away with that upgrade.
  • Options

Just to clarify, I'm supposed to download the Graphics Ruler, change the resolutions settings as indicated and close the application and run the game as usual. Is that correct?

If so, I did that and nothing changed. I still only have 800x600 resolution available.

I don't understand what to do with Leefish. I'm being really careful with my system right now because I'm starting a new job working with a remote customer service company and need to make sure my system is super stable.

I did order a new video card for my system Nvidia GeForce GTX 960. I'm hoping some of my issues go away with that upgrade.

Unfortunately graphic rules does not work 100% with all cards. The card you are using might be in that group. I can tell you from experience the GTX 960 will not work with it either. I used to have that card and had to have a friend manually edit the files and send it to me, and another member here had the same card and it wouldn't work with her either. I e-mailed her a copy of mine to use in her game. When I got a new pc I got a GTX 1060, and also had the same issue, only this time my friend sent me the instructions to be able to do it myself. It is actually very easy, especially since the graphic rules already start the set-up for you, you only need to add/change a couple things. Instructions can be found here

http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212

or if you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself and are willing I know @SPARKY1922 would be willing to e-mail you the corrected file, she still uses it. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, Jules1111. Update: I had gotten that card over a week ago and it had a bad fan. I returned it and have been using my old card while waiting for a replacement. In the meantime, the seller sent me a note yesterday that he had no more in stock and refunded my money. I was back around to the start with my various problems (my old card is burning up). So this morning, I ordered a GTX 1060. It looks like I will have the same problem.

I checked those file editing instructions. They won't effect any system files and I'm comfortable doing them. So I'll hop on it hopefully this weekend when the new card comes and I'm not working.
  • Options
    @RiennaTelemnar Oh cool. Figures they would run out. At least you got a better card out of it. :D Just make sure to make a copy of it and place it on your desktop or something should anything go wrong. No it only effects the graphic rules and video cards, so the rest of your pc is safe. If you have any problems at all I have the 1060 file and will share if needed. :) It seems to be the later cards that have the issue, my first card I had no issues and graphic rules worked just fine.
  • Options
    Thanks Jules1111. It would be easier/faster to just replace that file with yours if that's ok. I get it that a 13-year-old game might have problems on a 3-year-old computer. Frankly, I'm surprised it runs as well as it does.

I'm working Thursday and Friday this week so the first chance I'll have to install the new card will be Saturday. It will be a quick install, update that file and I'll be Simming to my heart's content!
  • Options
    Thanks Jules1111. It would be easier/faster to just replace that file with yours if that's ok. I get it that a 13-year-old game might have problems on a 3-year-old computer. Frankly, I'm surprised it runs as well as it does.

I'm working Thursday and Friday this week so the first chance I'll have to install the new card will be Saturday. It will be a quick install, update that file and I'll be Simming to my heart's content!

Sure no problem! Just PM me your email and I will send a copy off to you. Then you can just delete the old graphic rules one (I would keep the renamed maxis one just in case you need it later) and just drop it in the folders. Couldn't be easier.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

The Sim pictured here has custom hair, custom skin, custom eyes, (eyes are important to changing the whole look of a Sim) custom blush, eyeshadow etc. And a custom dress/top. TS2 can display the textures of clothes even Maxis clothes have a lot of texture that you can even count the threads sometimes, and you don't have to use 'default' replacements unless you want to, there is plenty of custom content from eyes to fingernails if you want to spice up your game to make them look more like real people instead of so cartoony. The default lightest skin in TS2 was always too dark for me (especially the face tone) so I use custom skins on my Sims, but be aware sometimes custom skins don't play nice with other custom content like clothes, and makeup etc. So, sometimes when you see a problem (in the future) it could be the fault of a custom skin the Sim has rather than a custom shirt, dress etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

The Sim pictured here has custom hair, custom skin, custom eyes, (eyes are important to changing the whole look of a Sim) custom blush, eyeshadow etc. And a custom dress/top. TS2 can display the textures of clothes even Maxis clothes have a lot of texture that you can even count the threads sometimes, and you don't have to use 'default' replacements unless you want to, there is plenty of custom content from eyes to fingernails if you want to spice up your game to make them look more like real people instead of so cartoony. The default lightest skin in TS2 was always too dark for me (especially the face tone) so I use custom skins on my Sims, but be aware sometimes custom skins don't play nice with other custom content like clothes, and makeup etc. So, sometimes when you see a problem (in the future) it could be the fault of a custom skin the Sim has rather than a custom shirt, dress etc.

Especially make up for me. The custom skin i currently use do not work at all with one of the maxis blush (the last one). When i putt this blush, it like my sims has putt her entire head into a bowl of flour :D