Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starting over? Am I insane?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Something similar happened to me. I played with aging off but just for my own sims and not the premades and they died and now I miss them haha

i always play with aging off and just age people up when i feel they are ready. otherwise, you eventually end up with a town full of elders. :o

think it's wise of you to keep old files on the old computer. i get really attached to my sims and occasionally get the urge to play with some sims i haven't played with in awhile. funny how you get to missing them. lol
  • Options
    christyruinchristyruin Posts: 65 Member
    I hate "starting over" too, but at the same time it feels good and your game will run smoother.

I just got my first gaming laptop and had to start all over. It was sad because I rebuilt EVERY town in the game and had families going and everything. But I wanted to start fresh in case there were bugs in my saves.

Especially if you are getting a new computer, I'm sure it will run better on a fresh start. Maybe just upload some of your favorite Sims to the gallery so that you can go back and get them? (I made that mistake, I only saved my sims to my Library and didn't upload them so I lost them).
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Ok so *UPDATE* I started over and I should be able to start playing within the next couple of days. My mods are organized, the houses look great same with community lots (downloading them was the best thing ever) I only decorated indoors. I've downloaded GREAT community lots from the gallery. And my sims look prettier than even before and they seem to follow the pattern I wanted for them.

I recommend it to those who felt like me when I made this thread :)

Happy simming!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I say start over. I was facing the same issue awhile back, and I just decided to start over. I found it very refreshing. If you feel it doesn't work out, you can always get your old save files.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    By all means try starting with a clean slate. But I would back up all your old files just in case you get that sinking, "What have I done?" feeling after a while.
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member
    After I FINALLY decided to move from playing sims on my laptop to my gaming pc (I just liked havings sims on a portable device for my main saves) I created a 'start here' world with all lots from the gallery that i had completely re-vamped. It took me forever to sort out but its been worth it in the long run!

Also I dream of cleaning out my CC but all my package files are merged and I love some much of it and i know i cant get some of it anymore because creators have left the community etc. *wheeps*
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I do it all the time. I get bored or it all gets a bit too much, so I start again.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2017
    I recently (just this week) decided to start over completely fresh with my Sims 4 games. I took out all my CC and pulled all my saves and tray files (backed up both just in case) and started fresh aside from a few necessary mods. I also deleted all of the Sims blogs I was following on tumblr to try and keep myself from going CC crazy right away again.

I really had no reason to do so. Just did it on a complete whim and...I'm actually enjoying my game again...
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    3KNPen wrote: »
    I recently (just this week) decided to start over completely fresh with my Sims 4 games. I took out all my CC and pulled all my saves and tray files (backed up both just in case) and started fresh aside from a few necessary mods. I also deleted all of the Sims blogs I was following on tumblr to try and keep myself from going CC crazy right away again.

I really had no reason to do so. Just did it on a complete whim and...I'm actually enjoying my game again...

Oh... already went cc crazy here lol
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I often start new games just to try different styles of play out and I am a pretty heavy mod/CC user. I also have a number of saves that are my games including the one that is still ongoing from when I bought the game.

Once I got my mod/CC folders organised and checked over by Sims Studio, I copy them out to a back up folder structure. This allows me to then choose different mod/CC configurations for each save as I can simply copy the structure and select what I want mods I want for my current live game.

For example, my base mod config would be a folder with just three mods: MCCC, UI Cheats, Sim Info.

I have multiple CC folders, so if I want to do a historical type game, I can simply move in the CC folder that contains the CC from Historical Sims and move out the CC containing the contemporary city stuff.

All sounds a bit of of a faff, but it is actually pretty fast to do and helps get over the friction of trying something new.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I'm really excited about the new desktop I'm having built this week! But the thing is that at first I was going to move all my saves onto the new computer, but since it's new I thought maybe starting over wouldn't be such a bad idea, specially because I have a mess with CC! I do have mixed feelings cause I have been playing the same save since pretty much when the game came out. I thought that MAYBE it was worth a try, I was wondering if some of you have done a similar thing and if you recommend it.

I know that by the end of the day, I'm the one to make the choice, but it doesn't hurt to hear experiences from other simmers :)

I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't take me that long to build my game up, by downloading homes and just redecorating them (building is not my cup of tea). Has any of you just built up their game, by downloading lots and community places for your sims?

Thank you!

Yes, you are insane :grin: Just answering your question ^_^
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have only 2 saves. One is the one I began playing sims 4, another is very recent just to see if I'll enjoy fresh start. I do enjoy it, but much less than my first save. I'm even thinking to move the family from the new save to the old one.
    For cc control I use trayimporter ( Mac version).
  • Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    I don't get it. There's absolutely no reason to do this when you can start a new save instead.
    New sims, new neighborhoods, new gallery items... all possible with a new save. You're just making it hard on yourself.
    If this is some way of releasing some psycholygical pressure brought on by years of playing... then yeah, the game has driven you insane :p
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    I don't get it. There's absolutely no reason to do this when you can start a new save instead.
    New sims, new neighborhoods, new gallery items... all possible with a new save. You're just making it hard on yourself.
    If this is some way of releasing some psycholygical pressure brought on by years of playing... then yeah, the game has driven you insane :p

It was more about the bunch of CC. All my builds had CC so by deleting it all I would mess up all the houses.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    Whenever I feel the urge to "start over", I simply take the next generation (kids, teens) into CAS, age them to Young Adults, delete the parents and grandparents, then save them to my Library. I do this for all the families that I play in rotation. I also save their homes to the Library if they have trees and garden plants beyond the beginning stage. I then start a new game, remove the Sims and their homes, place their counterparts from my Library, and move the next generation families back into their homes. This gives me a fresh game with less lag, yet I'm continuing forward with my Sims. I hope this makes sense.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    I am constantly deleting my saves and starting over - I just get bored with them. The one with the link to in my signature is only one of two (the other is on another computer) that I have had for more than 6 months.
  • Options
    vickyloovickyloo Posts: 134 Member
    Personally I Would keep the saves just incase you regret not keeping them and leave the cc and just download what you want again. You could try and new game and keep the saves as a back up for that OMG what did I do moment lol