Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Creeped Out!!!

ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
edited April 2017 in Off Topic Chat
I got an anonymous gift from Amazon in the mail today with a gift tag that said "A gift for you! Here you go!"

The creepy thing about is, I was looking at this same book on Amazon April 9 and that's the day the gift tag says it was ordered. I thought I must have accidentally ordered it myself without realizing it, but I checked my order page and it's not there. I also checked my bank statement and it's not on my statement either. I checked my one public wish list, also not there.

The gift tag has an option to send a thank you note, so I followed the link and it says the gift came from someone named Tanner. I don't know anyone with that name, and how would they know what I was looking at on Amazon anyway. Could someone have hacked into my computer and be watching what I'm doing? And why would they send me a gift? I'm kinda freaking out!! :#

Comments

• Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    I'd contact Amazon and explain the situation and ask for more information.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    I'd contact Amazon and explain the situation and ask for more information.

I've been looking on the Amazon forums about anonymous gift giving and apparently this happens quite a bit. Most people have said Amazon refuses to give the sender's information. I might give it a try, though.
  • Options
    Huh, I wouldn't expect Amazon to encourage stalking...
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    Well, I feel so much better! Customer Service was very understanding since I was worried someone had hacked my computer. Apparently, someone named Tanner Ford has been sending hundreds of anonymous Amazon gifts and I was just one of the lucky recipients. :)

I still don't know how he knew that I was looking at this book, but maybe he's a "white hat" hacker. As long as that's as far as it goes, I'll take the gift and be happy.
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I still don't know how he knew that I was looking at this book, but maybe he's a "white hat" hacker. As long as that's as far as it goes, I'll take the gift and be happy.

Maybe it was a coincidence? It's a very odd one, but y'know. Stuff can happen.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    Dang, lucky! I need to spend more time browsing Amazon, I guess. :D
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,094 Member
    It was your lucky day! :)
  • Options
    I guess it is my lucky day. Maybe I should play the lottery. ;)
  • Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    I'm glad this didn't become a horror movie of sorts :o *repetitively touches wood*. Enjoy your book!
    tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Surely for someone to send you a gift, they have to know who you are and where you live - if so, then how do they know that?

Does Tanner Ford say to Amazon, hey just pick one of your customers to receive these gifts?

If Tanner Ford was sending HUNDREDS of free gifts, then wouldn't a ton of people be talking about it on the internet?

Time to start sleeping with a very large weapon of your choice.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I guess it is my lucky day. Maybe I should play the lottery. ;)

don't push it :smiley:
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    Surely for someone to send you a gift, they have to know who you are and where you live - if so, then how do they know that?

Does Tanner Ford say to Amazon, hey just pick one of your customers to receive these gifts?

If Tanner Ford was sending HUNDREDS of free gifts, then wouldn't a ton of people be talking about it on the internet?

Time to start sleeping with a very large weapon of your choice.

I tried looking this guy up on the internet and couldn't find anything about him gifting people. You'd think there would be some mention of it. Then again, most the people I read about who got anonymous gifts never figured out who sent them.

I'm not sure how he's doing it. You would think he would have to have accessed my address somehow, I assume through my account. The customer service rep checked this Tanner Ford's history while I waited and found that he was sending hundreds of gifts. Maybe since it's now been brought to the attention of Amazon, they'll look into.

The rep kept telling me that my account was perfectly safe and no one could hack into it, but how does he know? It's just so strange.
  • Options
    It could be someone you know - someone in your household/a family member who knew you wanted the book.
  • Options
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    It could be someone you know - someone in your household/a family member who knew you wanted the book.

No, I never mentioned it. I was just looking at it online on Sunday night, and that's the date the gift tag said it was ordered on. I didn't even talk to or see anyone that day.
  • Options
    KaylaElliettaKaylaEllietta Posts: 43 Member
    that is kinda creepy xD
    ummm, maybe it is someone you know but they probably saw you browsing it?
  • Options
    that is kinda creepy xD

That could've only happened if they hacked my computer. I was in my bedroom alone with the door closed.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Attention TANNER FORD.

I was thinking of buying myself a Papa Johns selection - this is what I want:

All the Meats - Original XXL
    Chicken BBQ - Original XXL

Garlic Knots
    Potato Wedges
    Garlic Cheese Sticks
    Bacon Cheese Sticks
    Sweet BBQ Wings
    BBQ Chicken Wings

Cookie Dough - Ben & Jerry's™
    Phish Food™ - Ben & Jerry's™

Pepsi Max - 1.5 Ltr

AND anything else that Papa Johns chuck in for free with this order.

I want an evening delivery - any time after 7pm.
  • Options
    wut xD^^
    okay but i could use some papa johns rn tbh
  • Options
    :D After dealing with all this today, I did go and get myself a pizza. It was good too!
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    that is kinda creepy xD

That could've only happened if they hacked my computer. I was in my bedroom alone with the door closed.

The most plausible scenario I can think of is it would be someone high up in the Amazon ranks.
    Either a rogue eccentric or an intentional marketing scheme.
    The fact that Customer Service knew all about this makes it most likely the latter.
  • Options
    you deserved the pizza after the creepiness of the day lmao
  • Options
    TANNER FORD is my favourite Simmer.

I wish everyone was like TANNER FORD.

I just browsed Papa Johns.

Spooky.

I bet TANNER FORD is having a bit of snifter too.

Maybe picking the exact same order that I did.

TANNER FORD - great guy - great hair.

• Options
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    that is kinda creepy xD

The most plausible scenario I can think of is it would be someone high up in the Amazon ranks.
    The fact that Customer Service knew all about this makes it most likely the latter.

That makes sense. An employee would have access to personal information.
  • Options
    ^^^^^^
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    that is kinda creepy xD

That makes sense. An employee would have access to personal information.

Exactly. This is a clear case of identity theft.
    The fact that CS wasn't alrmed at all is a big tipoff that it's most likely an inside job.

Probably designed to circulate around social media circles through word of mouth and bring more eyeballs to the site.