Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Flag option please

@SimGuruDrake Old and very old threads being bumped so that some people can bring up old arguments again.

eg. Can you give us the Flag option to get annoyed about threads started and ended more than 6 months or over one year ago restarted again please?

They should have to start a new thread if no posts were sent to it after those times.

You could start making an Archive for those who want to delve into them.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    a useful flag concerning old topic @SimGuruDrake would be request thread or topics more then 6 months 2 years old to be close with a note fin the close topic from you if the original poster or members still have things to discuss in that subject would be to start a new thread or topic

like take for exemple this thread dating from june 2014 and the original poster is no longer updating is first post http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/758083/petition-to-add-optional-co-op-feature-to-ts4-211-372-signatures/p1

and as mention old thread could be close and archive that way simmers would still hhave acess to the thread but if need help start a new thread with his questin
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2017
    6 months is too soon. I have one topic that is set up to provide info to Simmers. It'll get updated when the info needs updating... which probably won't be till the next EP comes out. A six-month autoclosure would mean that the topic would need restarting-- by *two* people in a coordinated way (we had to make sure we were both online to make this happen the first time, but shouldn't need to again if our topic stays open). A topic 6 months old can still be relevant, just to fewer Simmers. A year, if it's in General Discussion? Probably not relevant anymore. A topic in Ideas Corner is relevant until what it asks for actually comes out, and that can be a long time... and in that case, it might be better for the game designers if people revive existing requests and add to them rather than start new ones. I think that an auto-close of a year or 18 months would be useful in General Discussion but not elsewhere.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2017
    6 months is too soon. I have one topic that is set up to provide info to Simmers. It'll get updated when the info needs updating... which probably won't be till the next EP comes out. A six-month autoclosure would mean that the topic would need restarting-- by *two* people in a coordinated way (we had to make sure we were both online to make this happen the first time, but shouldn't need to again if our topic stays open). A topic 6 months old can still be relevant, just to fewer Simmers. A year, if it's in General Discussion? Probably not relevant anymore. A topic in Ideas Corner is relevant until what it asks for actually comes out, and that can be a long time... and in that case, it might be better for the game designers if people revive existing requests and add to them rather than start new ones. I think that an auto-close of a year or 18 months would be useful in General Discussion but not elsewhere.

I'd go with the line I've bolded and possibly keep all of the Sims3 discussions as the game is not updated anymore. Info topics could be excluded if kept up to date. If Maxis haven't got a record of our Ideas they haven't been doing their job properly and certainly don't have the time to look through all of them now.

The moderators send a lot of threads which end in arguments to Off Topic but they should go in Archive as most of those started off after the Basic game and are being resurrected recently as I've noticed. Archive to be looked at but not able to be resurrected if that can be done except by starting a new thread. Old threads are irrelevant to the game as it is offered now.

Just my opinion though as I wasted my time reading through a complaining thread before realising it was started in April 2015 and resumed this week.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member

I know this time last year they had threads from 2014 and older that hadn't had any recent comments made to them locked so that no one could revive them. And I think that was put in place due to someone going around bumping the older threads so that they could get their post count up and hopefully get the points that they needed to be able to post pictures, links and have an avatar. One of the threads that the person had commented on was a thread that was only 3 months old but one of the posters on the thread basically had slapped that person's hand telling them that bumping old threads was against the forum rules and then proceeded to tag different SimGurus/Staff members to alert them that someone was going around bumping older threads back up. Of course people told that person that a thread that is 3 months old wasn't an older thread since it was just made not too long ago. But after what happened in that thread is when I noticed that the older threads from 2014 and older was locked. And I only had noticed that due to a small glitch in the system that somehow had classified me as well as other full members as a "New Member" when we had already been a full member for years. So when I went to look at my discussions that I had started, that's when I noticed that 38 out of 40 were locked. So someone had asked SimGuruDrake about it and she stated that they were locking threads that was from January 2015 and older that hadn't had any recent comments made on them to keep them from being bumped.

But I think the reason why they were unlocked again was the fact that someone who had a thread that hadn't been commented on wanted one of theirs to be unlocked as she wanted to make more comments on that thread because she didn't want to have to make a new thread. I also think the reason why they didn't keep the older threads locked is because after the last round of spambot attacks last November, they finally disabled the "New Discussion" button for all "New Members" until they can become full members. So since "New Members" are unable to start new discussions, they have to go in search of threads that may have the same issues that they are having with a game, or they're interested in seeing what others have done with certain Sims in their game and want to add their stories to that thread or they're looking for ideas for their gameplay. I've even seen old TS3 Ideas threads being brought up by "New Members" adding that they would like to see those ideas in TS4 and then the old ideas threads for TS3 then gets moved over to The Sims 4 Ideas Corner so that other members can add their ideas to.

I remember when we were still on the old TS3 site and had the issue of older threads being bumped, we had these types of discussions about locking and archiving the older threads so that they could still be read but not commented on. Of course we had people that were either all for this idea or they were against the idea. I think I had even suggested that if the threads did get locked, then the OP of the thread should have the option of unlocking it if they so desired to have it unlocked so that they could keep posting in it. But I think what might be keeping that from happening is that the threads that the Mods/Guru's/Staff members had locked because they were getting a little out of hand with all of the arguments and such would then also have that option to unlock them when the Mods/Gurus/Staff members wanted them locked. I think maybe the only way something like what I had suggested to work is if when the OP wants to unlock a older thread of theirs is for them to have a button similar to the "Flag" button but it would say something like "Unlock". But before it can become unlocked, they would need to fill out a small drop down box explaining why they want that thread to be reopened and then they would need to wait for approval from one of the Mods/Gurus/Staff members. And if the Mods/Gurus/Staff members don't approve for it to be unlocked, then they could leave an explanation to the OP why it wasn't approved to be unlocked.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Necroposting isn't always all bad. If somebody adds new and useful information about a very old topic and the thread benefits from good visibility on search engines, necroposting can actually be good. Necroposting should be on a case by case basis, rather than always end with locking old threads, IMO.
  • Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    @SimGuruDrake Old and very old threads being bumped so that some people can bring up old arguments again.

eg. Can you give us the Flag option to get annoyed about threads started and ended more than 6 months or over one year ago restarted again please?

They should have to start a new thread if no posts were sent to it after those times.

Thank you
    Moderators are doing it - ie merging new threads with old ones.

• Options
    plopppo2 wrote: »

Thank you
    Moderators are doing it - ie merging new threads with old ones.

I've even seen some threads being merged with a thread or 2 that was locked either by the request of the OP of the thread or locked by the moderators themselves. Take for an example the thread that was started last October asking SimGuruDrake about allowing the Sims 3 players to have a Creative Corner in their section since TS2/TS4 already has one in their sections as well as the main Creative Corner near the top of the forums. Well the thread got locked because someone had to come in a say stuff about TS4 and other people didn't like the comment, so the thread was locked. Then someone had asked why we didn't have a Creative Corner for TS3 over in The Sims 3 General Discussion area, so the moderators had went and merged the new thread with the closed thread.

• Options
    plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I'm fine with all topics being open unless there is a problem with them. Why get annoyed with them, let the topic fall or report it for fighting. It doesn't need a new reason to lock them or just random lock because you think they need to.
    General is general, there will be new people wanting to add to old topics, imo. :)
    Feedback in feedback and so on.

I think it's fine they way it is now- @SimGuruDrake :cookie:
    Yeh, but fighting/hostilitly is one thing - but there are a ton of people on this forum that get wound-up by FUN - harmless FUN - some people want compensation for encountering FUN on this forum.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,756 Member
    But what about the new members? They can't create new threads..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    But what about the new members? They can't create new threads..

Yep.
    If the only topic they want to discuss is in an older thread, then that's were they're going to post.
    They can't make a new thread, and if they post in a newer thread of another topic, then they're going to be making an off topic post.

Even people who can make their own threads, don't always want to make a new thread if the topic already exists elsewhere, even if the other thread hasn't been posted in for 12 months or more.

Maybe just auto lock things that haven't been posted in for the last 2 years?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Maybe old threads that have been resolved such as things that were a problem back in 2015 that aren't a problem anymore should be archived? I know a lot of new people bump old threads because they can't post a new thread. They may have the same old problem but they really should be allowed to start a new thread about it if it was resolved and has come back since gurus may not know it's a new old problem. :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Maybe old threads that have been resolved such as things that were a problem back in 2015 that aren't a problem anymore should be archived? I know a lot of new people bump old threads because they can't post a new thread. They may have the same old problem but they really should be allowed to start a new thread about it if it was resolved and has come back since gurus may not know it's a new old problem. :)

@Cinebar That makes a lot of sense. Some of the threads are so long, eg: 117 pages, that you cannot ask new Simmers to plough through them all, especially if one Patch sorts out problems and a later Expansion or Gamepack unravels everything again. I've noticed a lot of complaints about those after additions to the game.

Despite some Simmers writing that Sims4 is dying I notice whenever I log on, usually at the same time each day, that the number of players online is increasing ie: 36,000 last year to 51,000 after Toddlers to 57,000 last week and newbies should be able to start new threads without having to be added to the older ones.

Let's freshen up the Forum. BTW Digital Spy site digitalspy.com allows you to look at the latest ones first if you want to.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Well, when old threads are revived, people complain and ask them why they didn't make a new thread.
    When a new thread is made, people complain that the topic was already made before, asking why they didn't post in it.

New members don't have the option to make new threads, but will learn quickly to check the dates of all threads before posting on one :D
  • Options
    Well, when old threads are revived, people complain and ask them why they didn't make a new thread.
    When a new thread is made, people complain that the topic was already made before, asking why they didn't post in it.

New members don't have the option to make new threads, but will learn quickly to check the dates of all threads before posting on one :D

I'd rather see a new thread myself and it doesn't take long to become a new member if one uses the Off Topic section as advised.

Too much out of date information in most of these long threads plus overlong protestations of like or dislike and I don't like earlier forum residents having too much say on what can or cannot be done. That is getting too much like MATY.
  • Options

I'd rather see a new thread myself and it doesn't take long to become a new member if one uses the Off Topic section as advised.

Too much out of date information in most of these long threads plus overlong protestations of like or dislike and I don't like earlier forum residents having too much say on what can or cannot be done. That is getting too much like MATY.

Exactly. I like to advise the new members to either go to the Off Topic section and join in on the many word/story games over there or to find threads on whatever gaming section that they like and join in on the ones that hold their interest and just maybe while they're getting their post count up, then will also get the points that they need to be a full member. But then we get the "New Members" who think that this system is just silly and not really needed as they don't want to go around spamming the forums just to get to the points and post count that they need to be a full member. So when explaining the reasoning behind the whole system starting with the nasty pictures that people were posting in the earlier days of this forum to the spambot attacks, then they will shoot back saying that there is a better way to deal with trolls and spammers and that this isn't the way to do it as all it's going to do is keep people from wanting to partake in joining in on things since they are so limited to what they could do and then state that they will be leaving this site for another site that doesn't have so much restrictions set for "New Members".

I sometimes wish that there was a better way for New members to become members without having to do all of this but I am glad that this system does keep out would-be trolls and spammers. Last year when they had the older threads locked, some new members were able to start new discussions when the Mods/Gurus/Staff members didn't disable the New Discussion button while other New Members couldn't start New Discussions even if they had already had 1 or 2 that they started not to long ago. So maybe if the mods could enable the New Discussion button back for New Members to start new threads, then maybe the Gurus could lock the older threads like they did last year.

And I agree about the "Too much out of date information" comment. I have seen threads from 2009 where someone had an issue with something in their game and needed advice on how to fix their game. Well that thread could had 10 replies to them all stating the same answer and then comes along a "New Member" adding in the exact same advice as everyone else because that person may not had read all of the comments to see that the advice that they're about to post is the same advice from everyone else. Why do people think that after someone makes a post from 8 years ago that they need to revive it to tell the OP how to fix it? When I see threads like, I will post on there telling the person that bumped up such an old thread that I really don't think that the OP of the thread has been waiting for the last x amount of years for a fix as I'm sure that they have already found a fix or that they had already took the advice of the other posters in the thread. Or even if no one had made a comment on the thread on how to fix it, I will either tell them that the OP of the thread hasn't yet visited this site or the possibility that the OP has found the fix for it or that the OP may not be playing the Sims anymore to worry about the fix.

I've even seen threads from the early days of TS3 that has a list of ideas on what the OP or anyone else would like to see to only be bumped by the "New Member" to point out that a lot of what they have asked for is now in the game. Really? I'm pretty sure that by that point that if the person who made the thread or posted their ideas for the game is still playing TS3, that they already know that the stuff that they asked for or wished for is in the game. Like I just saw a thread from 2012 that I commented on back then being revived from a New Member just to point out about the one poster who just had to go and be the grammar police when the OP's writing wasn't making much sense since English probably wasn't their language just to state that the person was still being a mega jerk after all of these years. Really? You're going to seek out one post from years ago just to point out that someone is still a mega jerk because you may had a problem with that person back in the day? To me that is just a childish thing to do.

Sorry this is so long but I just get to rambling and don't know when to stop... ;)
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

the amount of times I have seen simmers complaing that others should stick with the old rhreads instead of making so many new ones :#

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

I agree if a new member has to bump an old thread it may be way off topic by the time they find it and a new solution may have been discovered and worded differently in a header/title. I would rather see a new post about an old problem returned etc. I actually feel sorry for new members trying to get their points so they can post. The search engine for this site is nothing to write home about and I most of the time I can't even find a thread about a subject and wind up having to write a new post about it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.