Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I just "worked out" for the first time in my life...

DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
Basically, I'm technically a healthy weight or whatever, but life's short, and I'm really unhealthy inside, so I've finally forced myself to start exercising. xD

As you can imagine, since I've NEVER WORKED OUT IN MY LIFE, I had no clue where to get started, and I don't have any money for a gym, so I looked up a cardio routine on YouTube that I can try to do every day to get a little fitter and slimmer in life.

I then proceeded to flail around for 30 minutes while following the video; I had to have a shower straight after because I was literally dripping with sweat, and currently I can barely stand... To make it worse, half of the exercises I can't do properly because my room is too small to lie down, or properly stretch out in, and I also had to do it in my pants because I was too hot to do it in my PJs! xD

Seriously, if you're a teenager or kid and you're reading this, please for the love of God start exercising early on in life. You start to regret your laziness when you're in College and you can't scale a flight of stairs without getting out of breath!

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    That's good, and pretty normal. I wasn't very active years ago too. When I took up weightlifting for PE for one semester in college, I hurt like heck all over after the first session. But given enough time and effort, your body will get used to exercise, and it'll be nothing by that point. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    PapayaSkyPapayaSky Posts: 177 Member
    edited April 2017
    @DarkSuperNinja Get outside! I dislike gyms - they smell. An easy start is simple as speed walking :) Enjoy whatever scenery you have around and or listen to some beats for 30 or 45 minutes. Play something that makes you want to dance (or climb a mountain!) and eventually you'll want to jog and then run! I don my sleek running gear and take off like I'm in a nike commercial >:D Maybe I'm just easily entertained, but I have a blast.

You can stretch in bed if you must - but you must before and after or you could injure yourself, lol. Pinterest has some really fun instruction posters for that. Do a little weight training with some 5 or 10 lb. dumbbells. The most important thing with any exercise is consistency - seriously make it a part of your life (like showering.) Don't stop because you have a lot of work or you're just not up to it that week. Cut it to 15 or 20 minutes if you're really crunched for time.

Don't forget to take care of your diet as well. Et voilà! It's even more fun and fulfilling if you're not alone. Good luck, really hope you get into it. It makes for good stress relief, lifts your mood, and you feel all around better about yourself.
  • Options
    carolynrossercarolynrosser Posts: 438 Member
    I think the Sims can be really useful to think about when you're starting a new life "skill". When a Sim works out for the first time, they're falling all over the place, and they're sore the next day. But do it a few more times, and they're doing MUCH better. It's kind of motivating--you can think to yourself, "Okay, I'm at Level 1 now, but I think I can level up by next Tuesday..."
    6UGz4SO.jpg
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited April 2017
    Wow, you've inspired me to do some more cardio!! I don't really do much of it (I'm also on college like you), but I do try to rock out in my room and jump around and it does help a bit cuz I sweat too. And then after that, I would do 5 sets of crunches/sit up types of exercises cuz I'm trying to get rid of my belly fat. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    I think the Sims can be really useful to think about when you're starting a new life "skill". When a Sim works out for the first time, they're falling all over the place, and they're sore the next day. But do it a few more times, and they're doing MUCH better. It's kind of motivating--you can think to yourself, "Okay, I'm at Level 1 now, but I think I can level up by next Tuesday..."

@carolynrosser Omg, that was exactly how I started to think about it this morning! xD I was like "well at least Sims also flail around when they're trying to be more Athletic!" xD

Side note, I'm aching all over, but my plan is to do more tonight, tomorrow night, and every night until I can run up a flight of stairs without feeling like my lungs are going to implode! xD
  • Options
    carolynrossercarolynrosser Posts: 438 Member
    @DarkSuperNinja Keep going! You can do it!
    6UGz4SO.jpg
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    I just started this year. I went to a gym as I felt I actually need the professional weights, plus the gym here is only 20$ and you get 24/7 access. Only thing that's set me back quite a bit was a ligament injury to my knee. After some time recovering, I'm starting to go back again. Rowing machine and bike are still out, but I'm doing some slow progression on the treadmill again (definitely not as fast as I could) and now focusing on my arm reps and 'leg lifts' to help strength up the knee again.

Also, the elliptical isn't a piece of gym equipment: It is a medieval torture device to try and make witches confess. DX. I still hiss at those things at the gym when I pass them. >->
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    Also, the elliptical isn't a piece of gym equipment: It is a medieval torture device to try and make witches confess. DX. I still hiss at those things at the gym when I pass them. >->

@LosaruTaiyo I'll never get over the fact that the "cross-trainer" is called the "elliptical" in the US! xD
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    Makes sense ahaha. I couldn't move much after my first session at the Gym. By Jove the pain was excruciating :persevere:

Keep it up my dude!! :+1:
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I hardly do much exercise, I'm normally busy or I forget to do it. If I happen to feel healthy and productive that day, I'll get a shirt and leggings on and go for a long run. I enjoy breathing in the fresh air and taking in all the scenery around me.

I'm one of them people who doesn't eat the best either, yet I don't put on weight. It's something that runs in the family, it can be a curse though. I go for a run a few times a week.
  • Options
    FujiSushiFujiSushi Posts: 55 Member
    Good for you, dude! Don't beat yourself up for not working out as a teen, better late than never, right?

Just some advice, remember to incorporate strength training into your routine as well. You don't need to buy any equipment or join a gym, you could easily use the furniture in your home. Playgrounds are great too, though you might look weird being the one grownup surrounded by a bunch of kids lol. Pushups, tricep dips, squats, lunges, pull-ups, and jackknives are some great bodyweight exercises. Focus on performing each exercise with proper form to avoid injuries.

Also, make sure you eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of water, sleep enough hours each night, and keep a positive attitude throughout. Good luck!