Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Computer thread for smilelikemiles

Comments

• Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    The only thing i can tell you is gaming (any pc gaming.) Is a expensive hobby. The game is getting more demanding and we often see people play with zero issues (on a lower end pc.) Then either a patch or add on will make the game unplayable. The pc you have now is completely under powered for this game and it was only a matter of time before it stopped playing correctly.
    You're best bet for gaming on a lower budget is to buy a desktop as they are more powerful and cheaper then laptop. But you are still looking at around $600 as a starting point. I cannot recommend something cheaper as i don't think it would be the right thing to do as it would probably not even play and you would be stuck with it. Sorry :(

Thanks anyways :( guess I'm done playing then. I don't mean to be a downer but my room is the size of a shoebox. I don't really like desktops to start and I cannot have a desk in my room. My bed prettt much takes over the whole area of the room it's that little. I don't live on my own yet and there is no longer space in my house to set up a desktop which is why I have a laptop. I can't afford a $600 laptop just to play sims. That's silly. I am not really a gamer and that's the only game I play so to me with the cost of the game on my budget as well, it's just not worth it. My current laptop works fine for everything else I use including photoshop for my digital art. I love this game but it's actually too much for me to think about to have to spend that much money so I think I'm just going to move on and forget about it. If I want to play sims I'm going to just play my sims 3 which works fine. I have almost all packs and the only two I don't have are the ones I never want so that's it.

The $600 starting point is for a desktop, not laptop. A starting point for laptop is a lot higher than $600. And the important thing that people budget shopping need to remember isn't necessarily the price. I see everyone stressing the price, it's the components. Just because a laptop costs $900 doesn't mean it will run the came properly (it depends on the graphic card, processor, RAM, etc) and just cause you spend $400 on a new laptop doesn't mean it'll run the game semi-okay (new doesn't always mean better, it just means new - as in not used). It's the components inside the computer that determines how and if it'll run, even semi right. I won't recommend a budget laptop cause they are hit or miss. Some people have okay luck with them, some don't. And another thing. It really doesn't matter if you "only play the sims" Sims (3 and 4) is an intensive 3D game and just because you don't view it as a "serious" game doesn't mean it isn't one and needs the proper equipment to run it.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sales and computers change often so what's in stock now or on sale might not be months from now. A laptop cooler is a pad/mat with fans that fits under the laptop helping to lower temperatures if a laptop does not have the proper cooling for the task at hand. No, that Omen does not have an optical drive (DVD slot). You will find a lot of laptops without optical drives nowadays. Not too many people are using them now with everything going digital. External optical drives can be used instead and are fairly cheap ($25-$30 USD). These are separate from the computer and plug in via USB.

The reason it's not recommended to buy something that just barely skims by the base game requirements is because it's not factoring in the added requirements for packs and even patches... So you will find yourself buying yet again another cheap laptop not too long after when a good laptop should last you up to 5 years. Non-gaming laptops lack the proper cooling and this is where a laptop cooler comes in. They also have integrated video chips so the processor is doing two jobs instead of one which ends up wearing it down.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    smilelikemilessmilelikemiles Posts: 75 Member
    Woah the one you said was $799 is actually $899 and I could never go buying one for $1,000. That's out of my price range. I only play The Sims and nothing else so I don't need anything over the top. Something that functions for the game without lag and I can safely play without issues. I don't recommend a cheap laptop for myself either. I want to go the cheapest way with a gaming laptop even if it is $700. I won't spend more than that. I play sims a few days a week after work. I am not a YouTube simmer or someone who dedicates a ton of time to the game. I've only played sims 4 maybe 100 hours total in the time I've had it. I'm just disappointed how much money I spent on the actual game and it's useless because now I can't play at all.

You will not find a gaming laptop under $900.. they are mostly above $1k
    You want to play the game lag free and without issues but only want to spend a very small amount.. that's not going to happen.
    It doesn't matter if all you play is the sims, the sims 4 is NOT a small light game, It needs a decent laptop or desktop to play.
    Cheap or Budget and lag free does not go into the same sentence.
    If you cannot buy a decent laptop then you cannot play, It's not fair but it's the truth.

Oh :( well I don't play enough so I guess I'm going to just give up. I cannot spend that kind of cash for one game. It's weird bc I always found the sims not to most gamers liking so I always felt maybe it wasn't as graphics heavy or as intense as they like. And I'm very confused bc I am not technology smart. Then the laptops you showed me are under $900- then those aren't gaming laptops? I though the $700 Omen was a gaming laptop so I'm really confused.

The omen i posted is almost $1200 USD
    The other one i posted is not a gaming laptop and is $550 USD

Oh someone posted this Laptop above from Best Buy....looks pretty much the same as the Omen

MSI - GL62 7QF 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - 1TB Hard Drive

This is what I was talking about
  • Options
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    The only thing i can tell you is gaming (any pc gaming.) Is a expensive hobby. The game is getting more demanding and we often see people play with zero issues (on a lower end pc.) Then either a patch or add on will make the game unplayable. The pc you have now is completely under powered for this game and it was only a matter of time before it stopped playing correctly.
    You're best bet for gaming on a lower budget is to buy a desktop as they are more powerful and cheaper then laptop. But you are still looking at around $600 as a starting point. I cannot recommend something cheaper as i don't think it would be the right thing to do as it would probably not even play and you would be stuck with it. Sorry :(

Thanks anyways :( guess I'm done playing then. I don't mean to be a downer but my room is the size of a shoebox. I don't really like desktops to start and I cannot have a desk in my room. My bed prettt much takes over the whole area of the room it's that little. I don't live on my own yet and there is no longer space in my house to set up a desktop which is why I have a laptop. I can't afford a $600 laptop just to play sims. That's silly. I am not really a gamer and that's the only game I play so to me with the cost of the game on my budget as well, it's just not worth it. My current laptop works fine for everything else I use including photoshop for my digital art. I love this game but it's actually too much for me to think about to have to spend that much money so I think I'm just going to move on and forget about it. If I want to play sims I'm going to just play my sims 3 which works fine. I have almost all packs and the only two I don't have are the ones I never want so that's it.

The $600 starting point is for a desktop, not laptop. A starting point for laptop is a lot higher than $600. And the important thing that people budget shopping need to remember isn't necessarily the price. I see everyone stressing the price, it's the components. Just because a laptop costs $900 doesn't mean it will run the came properly (it depends on the graphic card, processor, RAM, etc) and just cause you spend $400 on a new laptop doesn't mean it'll run the game semi-okay (new doesn't always mean better, it just means new - as in not used). It's the components inside the computer that determines how and if it'll run, even semi right. I won't recommend a budget laptop cause they are hit or miss. Some people have okay luck with them, some don't. And another thing. It really doesn't matter if you "only play the sims" Sims (3 and 4) is an intensive 3D game and just because you don't view it as a "serious" game doesn't mean it isn't one and needs the proper equipment to run it.

I get it but I'm basically in debt. My sis owes me money and I'm buying a car and car insurance soon. I'll probably not have the time anymore to play by the time I can actually save up and afford a good laptop and I'm really not technology smart at all. So with my luck I'm going to get someone that works poorly even if I spend a fortune. I can't get a desktop as I've said many times already so I don't see any other options for myself. I'm beyond stressed with life and sims always relaxed me but now it's another piece added to my stress so I can't :( thanks for helping anyways.
  • Options
    Sales and computers change often so what's in stock now or on sale might not be months from now. A laptop cooler[/url] is a pad/mat with fans that fits under the laptop helping to lower temperatures if a laptop does not have the proper cooling for the task at hand. No, that Omen does not have an optical drive (DVD slot). You will find a lot of laptops without optical drives nowadays. Not too many people are using them now with everything going digital. External optical drives can be used instead and are fairly cheap ($25-$30 USD). These are separate from the computer and plug in via USB.

The reason it's not recommended to buy something that just barely skims by the base game requirements is because it's not factoring in the added requirements for packs and even patches... So you will find yourself buying yet again another cheap laptop not too long after when a good laptop should last you up to 5 years. Non-gaming laptops lack the proper cooling and this is where a laptop cooler comes in. They also have integrated video chips so the processor is doing two jobs instead of one which ends up wearing it down.

Thanks for the informative information. This is helpful but my bank account just can't afford that. I love the game so much but I think I'm going to move on. I'm in so much debt and years from now by the time I can afford it I won't have the time to play since I plan to get another job and go back to school. So it's not worth the added stress in my life right now :( thanks anyways
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    You can try running just the base game and lower settings. I know how much sims can be a stress relief and I understand not having the extra cash. It was wrong for EA to advertise Sims 4 the way they did claiming it can run on affordable computers because they don't mention the requirements increase with packs and even patches. Plenty of people were able to play day one and now that we have packs and patches, it's suddenly unplayable for them.
  • Options
    You can try running just the base game and lower settings. I know how much sims can be a stress relief and I understand not having the extra cash. It was wrong for EA to advertise Sims 4 the way they did claiming it can run on affordable laptops because they don't mention the requirements increase with packs and even patches. Plenty of people were able to play day one and now that we have packs and patches, it's suddenly unplayable for them.

Thanks but I rather just not :( only reason I liked sims 4 was because of the packs. The base game is extremely boring I have to admit. And low settings on my laptop make the game look pretty terrible and not enjoyable to me at all. What fun is a game you spend money on if it looks horrible? I'm really angry and upset. I had no idea and TBH I want all the money I spent on this game back but I know I won't get it back :( I have sims 3 too and it runs better than it used to I feel but still not great. Least it doesn't lag though. But between that and sims 4 I spent so much time and money on it. What a waste of everything I won't ever get back. This is really heart crushing bc I loved this game. Thanks to EA for being so clear about this....not.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sims 3 is my personal favorite. I play a lot of challenges to keep the sims interesting after all these *years. Maybe that's something you would be interested in and the Sims 3 section is still active with friendly simmers. Just a suggestion. I know it feels like a big waste not being able to play what you paid for.
  • Options
    Sims 3 is my personal favorite. I play a lot of challenges to keep the sims interesting after all these days. Maybe that's something you would be interested in and the Sims 3 section is still active with friendly simmers. Just a suggestion. I know it feels like a big waste not being able to play what you paid for.

I love it too and I really love pets! Sims 4 released some pretty awesome packs. My problems began with City Living. If anything I want my money back on that one because it requires way too much and while I wanted that one the most I can't enjoy it on my low budget laptop. The bowling pack looks like so much fun....I felt so tempted to unfollow all the sims stuff I see because I'm jealous of everyone enjoying it when I can't play
  • Options
    I'm too tired but not sure if you see anything after "play"? I just typed a longer response than that but it erased half my message ugh :(
  • Options
    And another thing is I apologize to everyone who helped me because I have been snappy and such. I've just been jealous that everyone can have fancy computers and can own a desktop but I haven't be able to play. I'm not tech smart and don't know what to look for, I work one job and I make maybe $500 a month. Also the $500- some goes to my savings for a car and other towards food bills, my latest urgent care bill, and phone bill. I have struggled to get another job that pays better. My current job won't give me anymore hours a week and I only get paid twice a month :(
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I didn't think you were being snappy, just frustrated. You won't always be in the same situation.
    I'm too tired but not sure if you see anything after "play"? I just typed a longer response than that but it erased half my message ugh :(
    I'm not sure what you mean. When you click play on Origin for Sims 3 it should bring up the Sims 3 launcher... this can take a few moments or a minute. Then you click the play button on the launcher to start the game. When you click play on Origin for Sims 4 the game should launch moments after that (no launcher).

• Options
    gabythesimslovergabythesimslover Posts: 146 Member
    I believe my friend bought a refurbished laptop for $300 that runs TS4 You might be able to find a good deal if you're willing to buy a used/refurbished product (but it'll be a gamble and you'll have to hunt for it) His seems to run the game fine though he doesn't seem to play much (he mainly just messes around in CAS)
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member

I get it but I'm basically in debt. My sis owes me money and I'm buying a car and car insurance soon. I'll probably not have the time anymore to play by the time I can actually save up and afford a good laptop and I'm really not technology smart at all. So with my luck I'm going to get someone that works poorly even if I spend a fortune. I can't get a desktop as I've said many times already so I don't see any other options for myself. I'm beyond stressed with life and sims always relaxed me but now it's another piece added to my stress so I can't :( thanks for helping anyways.

I wasn't trying to be rude, just don't want you to come out of pocket than it not be what you want. It can get pricey with these more demanding games. Just be careful, too, when you do finally go for a new laptop that those best buy type employees are glorified salesman. They really don't understand what is and isn't really required to run the game properly and will sell you something with integrated chip, or bottom of the barrel dedicated, which will struggle with anything more than the base game, maybe even then.
    And another thing is I apologize to everyone who helped me because I have been snappy and such. I've just been jealous that everyone can have fancy computers and can own a desktop but I haven't be able to play. I'm not tech smart and don't know what to look for, I work one job and I make maybe $500 a month. Also the $500- some goes to my savings for a car and other towards food bills, my latest urgent care bill, and phone bill. I have struggled to get another job that pays better. My current job won't give me anymore hours a week and I only get paid twice a month :(

I didn't take you as snappy or rude or anything. You are just frustrated with the whole situation. Which is understandable. A lot of players have pretty cheap laptops and the game played okay for a while, but they finally hit the breaking point. I'd be super frustrated, so I completely understand. I hope things turn around for you.
  • Options
    ButtercupBlueButtercupBlue Posts: 24 Member
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and I don't know how to start a new discussion,
    I play sims 4 on a laptop but looking into getting a desktop in the near future as my game sometimes lag when I fast forward the game. I was thinking of getting this desktop but was just wondering if it would play the game fine without any lag and to have enough memory for future expansions packs (I have them all so far) The desktop is called:
    Cyberpower Enforcer Elite Intel Core I5, 8Gb RAM, 2Tb Hard Drive, Gaming PC Desktop Base Unit With 4Gb Nvidia 4G GTX 1050Ti Graphics - Black

Thanks
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and I don't know how to start a new discussion,
    I play sims 4 on a laptop but looking into getting a desktop in the near future as my game sometimes lag when I fast forward the game. I was thinking of getting this desktop but was just wondering if it would play the game fine without any lag and to have enough memory for future expansions packs (I have them all so far) The desktop is called:
    Cyberpower Enforcer Elite Intel Core I5, 8Gb RAM, 2Tb Hard Drive, Gaming PC Desktop Base Unit With 4Gb Nvidia 4G GTX 1050Ti Graphics - Black

Thanks

You shouldn't have any issues playing with that desktop. Will play at ultrs settings. Just make sure it comes with a quality power supply of at least 400watt. 8GB is enough ram for the game.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    I didn't think you were being snappy, just frustrated. You won't always be in the same situation.
    I'm not sure what you mean. When you click play on Origin for Sims 3 it should bring up the Sims 3 launcher... this can take a few moments or a minute. Then you click the play button on the launcher to start the game. When you click play on Origin for Sims 4 the game should launch moments after that (no launcher).

Thanks. and oh no I meant my response before ended with the word "play". The response continued but half of it was erased :( I was too tired to type it again
  • Options

I wasn't trying to be rude, just don't want you to come out of pocket than it not be what you want. It can get pricey with these more demanding games. Just be careful, too, when you do finally go for a new laptop that those best buy type employees are glorified salesman. They really don't understand what is and isn't really required to run the game properly and will sell you something with integrated chip, or bottom of the barrel dedicated, which will struggle with anything more than the base game, maybe even then.

I didn't take you as snappy or rude or anything. You are just frustrated with the whole situation. Which is understandable. A lot of players have pretty cheap laptops and the game played okay for a while, but they finally hit the breaking point. I'd be super frustrated, so I completely understand. I hope things turn around for you.

Thanks! Is there any laptop you recommend at the end of the day? I want to save a link so I can save money up for one. I really do want to play again. I want something that will last me a long time. I'm going to keep my current laptop so I'm not worried about playing DVDs when I want to watch my movies as I can do so on there. But when it comes time to just use the new laptop I will be getting for Sims 4, there is supposedly a portable thing you can connect to s computer to watch DVDs. Do you happen to know or have a link to that? I have so many DVDs so it's making me sad that everything is so digital today that most laptops won't have DVD jacks and DVD players will probably be a thing of the past.

But I do want a laptop that won't cause lag, will run the game on nice settings so I don't have to run into the problem of spending $800/$900 on a laptop and then having the same problems I'm having now. I'm scared to make that big of an expense. My current laptop runs pretty good but the fan is loud and battery is pretty shot- but it still runs so I will be purchasing this new laptop solely for the Sims 4 only.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    I feel your pain and I also stop playing the Sims do to PC issues.The best solution I found is either send the old girl into the shop or spend $2,500 for a new PC.
    The bright side is EA hasn't done anything awesome for the Sims.Vampires and bowling are not worth me spending $2,500 on a new PC.
  • Options
    I feel your pain and I also stop playing the Sims do to PC issues.The best solution I found is either send the old girl into the shop or spend $2,500 for a new PC.
    The bright side is EA hasn't done anything awesome for the Sims.Vampires and bowling are not worth me spending $2,500 on a new PC.

I want to use the bowling pack. I looked forward to it but now I can't play my game at all :(

And no my current laptop isn't suitable for sims 4 so fixing it would mean absolutely nothing. And I would never spend $2,500 on a computer. Goodness that's how much I'm spending on a car soon. That's way out of my budget. Highest I would pay is $900. And it has to be a laptop that can handle the sims. I don't have the space for a desktop. I need a computer I can store away.
  • Options
    Does anyone know any laptops I could save up for?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2017

I wouldn't worry about the particular laptop. New ones come out so often, that even if it takes you only half a year to save up, the advice would be out of date. Instead, pick your price point (I'd go with $600 for a desktop, $1000 for a laptop, both of those being before-taxes prices - because either way, you want to not need a new one before the machine would die a natural, not software-forced, death) and save for that. Open a separate savings account to put that money in.

If you don't absolutely need the flexibility of a laptop, please consider a desktop. You can replace individual parts of those, making them even cheaper in the long run. I've been replacing mine, one part at a time, for many years now, so I never have to spend as much at once. (A laptop you have to replace the whole thing.) For the price of a good-enough-for-games laptop, you could get a desktop and a cheap, lightweight laptop good enough for basic schoolwork and streaming internet content. (Personally, I wouldn't even. I'd write school notes by hand if you're a student - research shows people learn better that way - and put more money into a bigger monitor.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

I wouldn't worry about the particular laptop. New ones come out so often, that even if it takes you only half a year to save up, the advice would be out of date. Instead, pick your price point (I'd go with $600 for a desktop, $1000 for a laptop, both of those being before-taxes prices - because either way, you want to not need a new one before the machine would die a natural, not software-forced, death) and save for that. Open a separate savings account to put that money in.

If you don't absolutely need the flexibility of a laptop, please consider a desktop. You can replace individual parts of those, making them even cheaper in the long run. I've been replacing mine, one part at a time, for many years now, so I never have to spend as much at once. (A laptop you have to replace the whole thing.) For the price of a good-enough-for-games laptop, you could get a desktop and a cheap, lightweight laptop good enough for basic schoolwork and streaming internet content. (Personally, I wouldn't even. I'd write school notes by hand if you're a student - research shows people learn better that way - and put more money into a bigger monitor.)

I think you misunderstood what o said in above comments. I don't have the place for a desktop so I cannot get one :( I don't live on my own. I live in a small house and a shoebox sized bedroom and I have no room for a desk. I only have space for a bed, dresser and my small bookshelf.

As for a laptop....you mean that even with a gaming laptop I'm going to spend $1,000 or more and have to replace it in like a year? If that's the case I'm just giving the sims up. Thats such a waste of money....I csn sacrifice what I spent on the game already. Even if I buy a laptop in half a year- in a month or two it's already out of date and may not work to play the game? I'm not tech smart so even if I had a desktop I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to replace a part to a computer. I'm very confused right now as it is :( nothing anyone's said in this forum has really helped me. I don't mean this in a mean way but I don't understand what my computer specs are and the games and each time I get a pack idk how to see if I have enough "RAM" to add on another pack. I'm completely lost and don't understand any of this talk :( I am at a loss and I'm ready to give up. This is too complicated for me
  • Options
    Thanks for trying to help but this lead me no where. I'm just going to disable packs and play the boring base game with maybe one pack on low settings :( not excited about this at all. So just going to feel tortured when an awesome new pack or if they make a pets EP and I have to just suffer while everyone enjoys it and I can't play :( this is ridiculous how much this game entails. If I had known I would've never got involved in playing sims. I got so addicted and now my dreams of playing are crushed. I'm so bored in my free time now.....this was basically all I had to do in my free time and now the only thing I could do is over. Done.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I think you misunderstood what o said in above comments. I don't have the place for a desktop so I cannot get one :( I don't live on my own. I live in a small house and a shoebox sized bedroom and I have no room for a desk. I only have space for a bed, dresser and my small bookshelf.

As for a laptop....you mean that even with a gaming laptop I'm going to spend $1,000 or more and have to replace it in like a year? If that's the case I'm just giving the sims up. Thats such a waste of money....I csn sacrifice what I spent on the game already. Even if I buy a laptop in half a year- in a month or two it's already out of date and may not work to play the game? I'm not tech smart so even if I had a desktop I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to replace a part to a computer. I'm very confused right now as it is :( nothing anyone's said in this forum has really helped me. I don't mean this in a mean way but I don't understand what my computer specs are and the games and each time I get a pack idk how to see if I have enough "RAM" to add on another pack. I'm completely lost and don't understand any of this talk :( I am at a loss and I'm ready to give up. This is too complicated for me

In a year? No. If you buy a $500 or $600 laptop? More likely to last you a year than a $1000 laptop is. Or 2 or 3, depending on how hard you push it with gaming and wear it out. A gaming laptop - one that's built to withstand gaming's heavy use in - should last you a few years at least.

I know the vocab is all strange at first. We've all been there! And we're happy to explain as much as you want explained or to just point you in directions once you're ready to buy.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.