Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest Sims 4 Mistake So Far?

Comments

• Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hip Hop is the urban radio station which appears in The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 Late Night!
  • Options
    geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    NOT FIXING GAME BRAKING BUGS. oh and 3 years on online aspects of Olympus and Icarus
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    geoffreypa wrote: »
    NOT FIXING GAME BRAKING BUGS. oh and 3 years on online aspects of Olympus and Icarus

Are there still unfixed bugs going around?

As for Olympus, is that now The Sims 4 Mobile or something else I saw mentioned a while ago. I don't know, I cannot keep up!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 1,061 Member
    I would say the biggest TS4 mistake is not fixing the big bugs. IE the detective career, freezing sims, and the time distortions and lag
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I would say the biggest TS4 mistake is not fixing the big bugs. IE the detective career, freezing sims, and the time distortions and lag
    EA knows that sales numbers never have gone down because of missing bug fixes. So why should EA use much money on such things? ;)
  • Options
    hellbunny123hellbunny123 Posts: 52 Member
    No cars...! And also not being able to place blank lots in a town, I like to make my towns really full, not just a few houses :(
  • Options
    kenawykenawy Posts: 1 New Member
    According to http://www.gtaclip.com/gta-6-release-date_241cbc08f.html Rockstar has sold more than 60 million game copies. Where are all those 60 million people on the internet? Can you find just one million or just 100,000 of them? ;)

Young teens don't just decide to buy one game and then ignore all other games like so many adult simmers in this forum seem to do. The young teens instead most often buy different games just to try the games. So what happens if they don't like one of the games? Well they don't write about such a game on the internet in many years ;) (Instead they just sell the game, give it away or ignores it.)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    kenawy wrote: »
    According to http://www.gtaclip.com/gta-6-release-date_241cbc08f.html Rockstar has sold more than 60 million game copies. Where are all those 60 million people on the internet? Can you find just one million or just 100,000 of them? ;)

Young teens don't just decide to buy one game and then ignore all other games like so many adult simmers in this forum seem to do. The young teens instead most often buy different games just to try the games. So what happens if they don't like one of the games? Well they don't write about such a game on the internet in many years ;) (Instead they just sell the game, give it away or ignores it.)
    I do think Sims has, in comparison to other games, a large amount of fans who actually don't play any other games. That's what makes them so stubborn and persistent here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I do think Sims has, in comparison to other games, a large amount of fans who actually don't play any other games. That's what makes them so stubborn and persistent here.

I agree. You see it on here a lot. People who say they won't upgrade their hardware as it's not worth it for one game as they don't play anything else. Indeed my friends in RL who play sims, none of them play anything else. I'm the only one who does.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

I think that there are several types of Sims fans:
    1. Young teens (mostly girls) who just play the game as their first big game out of curiosity. They most often have played other but smaller games when they were younger and maybe still do. They usually use forums for schools, Facebook and Twitter much more than they use this forum. They want all expansions out of curiosity even though they most often don't play them much. But they always need permission from their parents who usually are easier to persuade if they ask for something cheap.
    2. Gamers who play other games too. No matter which game you mention here in the forum they often comment and seem to know a lot about it (if only it isn't a sports game though).
    3. Simmers who likely only played small casual games until they became Sims fans. But then they became addicted to the Sims games for the PC. They usually don't play mobile Sims games or Sims games for consoles though.

Alas EA thinks that group 1 is many times bigger than group 2 and 3 though and therefore only target the games at group 1.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Candyd wrote: »
    I think lack of toddlers were one mistake.

Other big mistakes I think are the fact the series has went backwards in terms of no open world and not being able to re colour everything. I don't mind it as my favourite is the sims 2 but for some it's a deal breaker.

I think the biggest mistake personally is the AI system and emotion system isn't as sharp as it could/should be. Think no reaction to death, no real caring about cheating. The lack of depth and consequence is my biggest bug bear.

The bold stuff. And also the lack of realism and personality system, I always preferred the way the Sims 2 handled all of this.
    I find the AI to be excellent though. There are problems but they're essentially neglected areas in tuning. The system itself is good but needs very different settings to show its true potential. Careful modding can fix most issues with the AI. That said, I hope that Maxis will eventually decide to patch rather than wait for modders to fix it all.

I agree with most things, but realism needs to stay far away from The Sims.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

:D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Other big mistakes I think are the fact the series has went backwards in terms of no open world and not being able to re colour everything. I don't mind it as my favourite is the sims 2 but for some it's a deal breaker.

I think the biggest mistake personally is the AI system and emotion system isn't as sharp as it could/should be. Think no reaction to death, no real caring about cheating. The lack of depth and consequence is my biggest bug bear.

The bold stuff. And also the lack of realism and personality system, I always preferred the way the Sims 2 handled all of this.
    I find the AI to be excellent though. There are problems but they're essentially neglected areas in tuning. The system itself is good but needs very different settings to show its true potential. Careful modding can fix most issues with the AI. That said, I hope that Maxis will eventually decide to patch rather than wait for modders to fix it all.

I disagree I am a afraid. I like realism in The Sims but am open to swaying it towards something more surreal if I want.

A bit like the old Smith family in TS2's Strangetown. An ordinary family but also part alien
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

I disagree I am a afraid. I like realism in The Sims but am open to swaying it towards something more surreal if I want.

A bit like the old Smith family in TS2's Strangetown. An ordinary family but also part alien

There's got to be a happy medium between the extremes that we've seen in The Sims.
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

There's got to be a happy medium between the extremes that we've seen in The Sims.

Yes I agree totally :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    The many versions of culling. At least give me the option not to generate Sims with story progression instead of deleting Sims and sending them into the white void of the Sims 2 Machinima "Deleted".
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
  • Options
    JackieGoOutsideJackieGoOutside Posts: 33 Member
    Like people have been bringing up before, I think the biggest mistakes Sims 4 was something Sims 3 also had: The Traits and the Lifetime Wish system (which was renamed Aspiration in Sims 4). Traits never seemed enough.

Sims 2 Sims, while not having as much "complexity" personality wise, still created Sims that played different and wanted different things. This is mostly contributed to the Aspiration system, which had pretty much personalized Wants (and Fears!) for each Aspiration. Rarely would you ever have a Family and a Fortune Sim wanting the same thing. I'm often shocked when my Fortune Sims roll the want to marry someone specific, for instance, because they never want that unless they have a really high relationship with someone for a while. (Family Sims, meanwhile, will roll to marry everyone they have a crush on.) And how RARE it is for them to roll a want for a baby?? Like, maybe two pure Fortune Sims I've played in the decade I've played Sims 2 have ever rolled a want for a baby.

But then the Aspirations were removed so we only got Lifetime Wishes (which Sims 4 Aspirations are)--these are specific goals a Sim wants to get to, rather than what Aspirations are which was something a Sim wanted to be.

It sounds confusing but, like, Sims 2 WANTED to be rich and they had Lifetime Wants that would get them there, but their Aspiration also made them want to earn $100, get into other lucrative careers, buy expensive things and such. Traits were suppose to emulate that--for instance, a Materialistic, Snobby Sim--but since those Traits replaced Sims 2 personalities (how neat/sloppy, outgoing/shy, active/lazy, playful/serious and nice/grouchy they were), you got Sims that were less complex overall.

It's something I wanted since Sims 3, but if they could just combine the Sims 2 personality system with the Sims 4 Trait system, I think they could make more complex, more unique Sims. It would be a little difficult, like making a nice Sim with the Evil Trait play differently from a mean Sim with the Evil Trait but it would make Traits like Insider, Vegetarian and Dance Machine seem less of a waste of a slot.

TL;DR Bringing back Traits was a mistake. Also, side note, adding back Fears and the Pleasure Aspiration would be nice please.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

:D
    :blush:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JackieGoOutside Interesting points :smile: I actually like the traits in TS3 but I would have liked to have seen it expanded on at some point. I will not deny that I did and still do miss the wants and fears from TS2 although the wishes in TS3 where similar to likes I miss seeing them change regularly

Turn on and turn offs where a good idea also although some traits may have covered this such as a supernatural fan being interested in supernaturals as opposed to supernatural sceptics
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @king_of_simcity7 Oh, yeah, I'm not saying that Traits are a bad idea, it's just with the way Aspirations are and the fact a lot of them are just flavor text (which I actually didn't bring up, I don't think), they don't really...do a lot it seems? I will admit, I think Sims 4 Traits are slightly better than Sims 3 but that's because they made less Traits and thus could make them more unique, which could be why they haven't added more into the game.

I think what Sims 4 could benefit from the most is adding more Traits your Sims can gain in game. We got a bit of this with the chopstick trait in City Living and we got a lot of this from the Parenting GP (which I love). It would be nice if they continued having a system that you gained good or bad Traits over time, but they just need to make sure Traits have impact.
  • Options
    RavennaRavenna Posts: 58 Member
    > @friendlysimmers said:
    > i would say the biggest mistake in sims 4 is 1 the nude outfit that should never of been put in the game and second the transgender patch and its content that i will never use

the "transgender" patch was actually one of their best decisions and I know many people who picked up Sims 4 just because they did this. Seeing diversity as a negative says a lot about your personal character
    Check out my stuff on the Sims 4 gallery under the ID 'RavennaSanguine'
  • Options
    worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2017
    For me, I feel like it was pushed out way too soon. When it first came out, there were no pools or toddlers, and a lot of people were understandably upset by that. Though these problems were eventually rectified in free updates, these really should have been base game features from the start.

They also take a really long time to address some extremely glaring issues in the game, which sometimes makes me worried that they may never be looked into at all. For example, the bug where human Sims "discover" aliens that aren't in disguise, getting angry and making the poor alien embarrassed in the process, has been an issue in the game since Get to Work came out in 2015.
  • Options
    @king_of_simcity7 Oh, yeah, I'm not saying that Traits are a bad idea, it's just with the way Aspirations are and the fact a lot of them are just flavor text (which I actually didn't bring up, I don't think), they don't really...do a lot it seems? I will admit, I think Sims 4 Traits are slightly better than Sims 3 but that's because they made less Traits and thus could make them more unique, which could be why they haven't added more into the game.

I think what Sims 4 could benefit from the most is adding more Traits your Sims can gain in game. We got a bit of this with the chopstick trait in City Living and we got a lot of this from the Parenting GP (which I love). It would be nice if they continued having a system that you gained good or bad Traits over time, but they just need to make sure Traits have impact.
    In what way do you feel traits in Sims 4 make your sims unique? My sims in the game are all identical, the traits do absolutely nothing. Only the emotions do. And when you check the Sims Wiki pages you can see traits in Sims 3 do a lot more than traits in Sims 4 (not all, but a lot of them do).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > In what way do you feel traits in Sims 4 make your sims unique? My sims in the game are all identical, the traits do absolutely nothing. Only the emotions do. And when you check the Sims Wiki pages you can see traits in Sims 3 do a lot more than traits in Sims 4 (not all, but a lot of them do).

I don't mean Traits make Sims more unique but that Traits, themselves, are more unique.

For instance, what's the real difference between Avant Garde and Artistic? Insane and Unstable? Dramatic and Over Emotional? Shy and Loner? In Sims 3, they gave us all these Traits but you have some that are very similar or just provide slightly different moodlets and flavor texts. In Sims 4, you don't have a lot of samey Traits, so that's what makes them, the Traits, more unique.

I don't know if you saw my post above above (honestly it was a bit of the tl;dr so I don't blame you if you skipped it) but I did mention that I don't really like the Trait system and I feel that in both Sims 3 and 4 it's not very well implemented. That isn't to say a Trait system is all together a bad idea, it's just it could be better.

But, I will say, Sims 4 Sims don't feel as similar and robotic as Sims 3 Sims were, to me at least, but I think that has a lot more to do with how the Wants/Wishes system works and how the content for age groups were spread out than the Traits.