Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moving many sims to new town

Hey, so I have been searching information about this for a while and I couldn't find anything that helped so I hope one of you can exsplain it to me.

So I have a legacy that I started in Sun Set Valley, but the town is starting to get a little boring. The problem is, if I switch towns, I want to move more then 8 sims over. I'm willing to use mods, but I want to do it without losing family relationships and skills/jobs. Thanks for any help!
Happy Simming!

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    NRAAS Porter mod will do that for you. You pack all the sims you want to move. Plus any ghosts that are needed to connect families to preserve relationships. the info is all on their site. It took me a few goes before I worked it out but once I got the idea it is good to use.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    Porter is one way. Note that the relationships will only be preserved within the packed up sims you are porting, they will get lost with those left behind as those sims' data will no longer be in your game at all.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Porter+FAQ

The other way is to use NRaas Traveler to move one household to the new world. Both worlds will stay in your game and relationships and history will be preserved between all sims. You can then travel sims back and forth between the two worlds if you wish, move more of them over to the new world, or use MasterController to send for some of them left behind and place them in their new houses.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ
    (see the Switching Hometowns section towards the end of the FAQ page)
    (NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap highly recommended in addition to Traveler to make this work well)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Thank you for starting this thread, I always meant to ask the same question.

Will definitely be checking out NRaas Traveler too as that looks amazing!
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    You can use "portrait panel" mod and nraas to add more than 8 sims to one household.
  • Options
    You can use "portrait panel" mod and nraas to add more than 8 sims to one household.
    I was assuming the OP had multiple households that they did not want to blend together in the process.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Why can't you save your sims to the library and then just place them in the new town, or will they lose their relationship with the other families.
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »
    Why can't you save your sims to the library and then just place them in the new town, or will they lose their relationship with the other families.
    They stand to lose all relationships, with both friends and family, outside of each binned household. Placing households in a new world that way is in many ways the equivalent of starting the game over (sort of) and not what many players want, but it is the "EA way" of doing this.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've always done this making the decision I didn't care the family tree would be damaged a bit (well, I had no choice did I ;)), but ever since I have Mastercontroller those days are over, because you can set relationships with that mod. I've turned my sim's sister into her sister again that way a few days ago, and that immediately repaired the family tree.

P.s. When you move them, don't forget to also take the family graves along! Ancestors will remain in the family tree that way as well and they don't count as a sim. You can put those in your inventory ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    @igazor I think there may be issues with the Porter download link. I wanted to move my Legacy family to IP and someone suggested I download Porter. But when I tried to download it, kept getting an error. I tried other mods (dresser and debugenabler) and those links work fine. Ended up just using MC to add all 16 sims to one household, saved to bin and started a fresh save.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @igazor I think there may be issues with the Porter download link. I wanted to move my Legacy family to IP and someone suggested I download Porter. But when I tried to download it, kept getting an error. I tried other mods (dresser and debugenabler) and those links work fine. Ended up just using MC to add all 16 sims to one household, saved to bin and started a fresh save.
    Not sure which link is giving you an error, but I just checked the one on this page and it worked fine for me. Is it one located someplace else on the wiki?
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Porter+Phase+Twelve
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @igazor Tried again on my pc, phone and then hubby's laptop but still get an error each time.
  • Options
    @igazor Tried again on my pc, phone and then hubby's laptop but still get an error each time.
    Sorry, don't know what the fault could be. The wiki is at best unreliable sometimes, but the file is there. Does a more direct link help?
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/file/view/NRaas_Porter_V42.zip
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Yes! Finally downloaded with the second link. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    I was assuming the OP had multiple households that they did not want to blend together in the process.

That is true, they will be accuainteses. What I did in the past is moving several large groups, so not everyone in town would know each other.
    By the way I would not recommend to use portrait panel in the long run, I had some issues with it so I use it only for "relocations".
    Maybe other suggestions are better but just wanted to offer the possibilty.
  • Options
    The PortaitPanel mod does not increase the capacity of a household all by itself. It increases the number of possible thumbnails that display on the left-side panel and offers many flexible ways to display them. You need other mods to achieve Greater Than Eight along with it, either permanently or temporarily.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Which+Mod+FAQ#Overstuffed

There should be no problems using PortraitPanel "in the long run," but NRaas would be the place to report any issues with it. It's not a mod very well known for kicking up problems, though some users don't quite understand its flexibility options.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    BellKidsBellKids Posts: 18 New Member
    I know this is really late lol but I have the same problem and I'm thinking of just making my own family tree and not relying on the games once I move.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    BellKids wrote: »
    I know this is really late lol but I have the same problem and I'm thinking of just making my own family tree and not relying on the games once I move.

If you have Master Controller mod from NRAAS you can recreate the family tree in game. You might need the cheats module of Master Controller to do that too.

• Options
    Karritz wrote: »
    BellKids wrote: »

If you have Master Controller mod from NRAAS you can recreate the family tree in game. You might need the cheats module of Master Controller to do that too.
    One of the reasons I'm so in love with MC. I even gave my sim's friends a kid last week, without the hassle of having to go into their family and make them try for baby. Just used their genetics in CAS, chose a nice mixture, saved the toddler to the bin and put him in their family. Making him their son et voilá. Should so much have been a game option!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    donnabaileydonnabailey Posts: 683 Member
    @JoAnne65 How did you (or did you?) save the toddler to the bin alone? I'd love to create toddlers and even more, pets, for my families but I've never been able to save them to the bin without at least one adult in the household. Is there a way MC will let you do that? Thanks. :)
    Appaloosa Plains Townie Makeover Project!

The Claw Machine Diaries Challenge

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @donnabailey You indeed can't save pets and toddlers/kids/teens to the bin on their own. So I accompany them with an adult (giving them green/purple/blue hair makes this trick easier). I add the tod and the adult to the household and then right away remove the green/purple/blue haired stranger (easy recognizable in the thumbnail). Which by then isn't a problem because there are adults in the household so the kid can stay ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    One of the reasons I'm so in love with MC. I even gave my sim's friends a kid last week, without the hassle of having to go into their family and make them try for baby. Just used their genetics in CAS, chose a nice mixture, saved the toddler to the bin and put him in their family. Making him their son et voilá. Should so much have been a game option!
    That's one way to do it. I would tend to use MC to Pollinate one of the sims, choosing their partner as the second parent, so they can experience the joys of pregnancy and crying babies like everyone else without my having to manage their romantic lives in the process. Of course, if I want control over the kid's genetic blending in the end, I kind of have to wait a while before I can do that and then use MC's Play With Genetics on them when I remember to. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    That's one way to do it. I would tend to use MC to Pollinate one of the sims, choosing their partner as the second parent, so they can experience the joys of pregnancy and crying babies like everyone else without my having to manage their romantic lives in the process. Of course, if I want control over the kid's genetic blending in the end, I kind of have to wait a while before I can do that and then use MC's Play With Genetics on them when I remember to. ;)
    *looks up 'pollinate'*
    *laughs* :D
    *then screams*
    IS THAT POSSIBLE!? Could you please tell me step by step how :mrgreen: ?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @JoAnne65 - Not sure what all the screaming is about. Pollinate just makes a sim pregnant. You do know that usually sims need to be pregnant in order to have children, right? Oh...maybe this is a different sort of chat we need to be having. :p

Okay, but seriously on the sim you want pregnant NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Basic > Pollinate and select the other parent.

Play With Genetics I think you already know, but that requires the sim to be born already or be in the game somehow.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @JoAnne65 - Not sure what all the screaming is about. Pollinate just makes a sim pregnant. You do know that usually sims need to be pregnant in order to have children, right? Oh...maybe this is a different sort of chat we need to be having. :p

Okay, but seriously on the sim you want pregnant NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Basic > Pollinate and select the other parent.

Play With Genetics I think you already know, but that requires the sim to be born already or be in the game somehow.
    Oh, lol, then I fear translation got in the way, because in Dutch the term is strictly reserved for plants so I thought it was a joke ;) That concerned the laughing by the way. The screaming was because being able to really make sims pregnant that way is so much better even! Now I'll just have to figure out how NRaas translated pollinate, because I have the Dutch version... So, under basic, I should be able to figure it out ;) Thanks!
    (yes, playing with genetics I've already used quite a couple of times :) )
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    To be fair, in English the term is usually reserved for plants as well. "Hey babe, wanna come over to my place and pollinate?" is not a very commonly heard pickup line. Then again, I don't get out as much as I used to. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!