Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help! Origin insists that all content should be downloaded :(

I am not a big supernatural fan, but found the Vampires GP to be intriguing enough to try. And then there was the claim that vampires would stay in the background unless we chose to play them. I decided to purchase the GP and installed it on my laptop. I enjoyed the GP but knew it wasn't what I wanted for most of my gameplay, nor did I want to hang garlic all over my houses. I elected to not install the Vampires GP on my desktop. Origin disagrees with me. It keeps downloading the GP despite my efforts to cancel it. I had to go offline to stop the download attempts. If I'm offline I cannot peruse/download from the gallery. In the past, I had to make an effort to download new content and now I can't stop it from downloading. Is there a button I messed up or am missing? Please help me resolve this :(

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    There is a button in Origin settings to " keep the game uptodate " which you could untick, and then you would need to manually check for updates, and install each pack individually. This may help your issue.
  • Options
    Zoey95Zoey95 Posts: 1,549 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    There is a button in Origin settings to " keep the game uptodate " which you could untick, and then you would need to manually check for updates, and install each pack individually. This may help your issue.

Hello @rosemow :) I do have automatic Origin and game updates off already. I went back online and had the option to start up my game. I deliberately ignored the button to download the new GP. The moment Sims 4 loaded up, it started automatically downloading the GP again :( I really regret buying the GP now that I know installing it isn't optional.
  • Options
    Zoey95 wrote: »
    Hello

Hello @rosemow :) I do have automatic Origin and game updates off already. I went back online and had the option to start up my game. I deliberately ignored the button to download the new GP. The moment Sims 4 loaded up, it started automatically downloading the GP again :( I really regret buying the GP now that I know installing it isn't optional.

Hello
    I am sorry :( It seems that once simmers go back online, the game will automatically download packs that are currently uninstalled.
    I wondered if having the automatic setting unticked may have helped, but it hasn't.
  • Options
    UnrealRootUnrealRoot Posts: 307 Member
    Well this is inconvenient :confounded:
    My only suggestion is to unfortunately close Origin when you want to play The Sims 4, and play them without Origin. I think that is possible since I heard people do that? (please don't quote me on this xd).
    However it may be an issue if you need Origin for friends and then the updates may cause an issue (Origin might slip the vampires in there).
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    The Sims 4 does not allow you to play without the latest updates which include all the packs you own. Even offline it still will update any packs you own as it is not like Sims 3 where one can pick and choose. Perhaps if you contact Origin and live chat with them they can help you remove that game - but be warned any games you have saved after the gp was installed will have to be removed or the game will seek to reinstall that ep because of any play or programming in those saves. So you will basically have to discard all those saves and start all over. You are probably triggering the game to load in saved games where the game is trying to load the content - especially CAS stuff on townies because it is in the saves.

I understand you cannot shut off a pack in Sims 4 because all worlds share that pack all the time - unlike Sims 3 where the only world active is the map you are playing in.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    xiaoisxiaois Posts: 141 Member
    I saw this thread because I was having the same problem, and since support was no help, I had to find my own solution. What I chose to do was go into origin settings and there is an option talking about download rates in game, if you click on that and scroll to the bottom of all those options theres one that says don't download in game, clicking that may help for anyone that has this problem in the future.
  • Options
    IllyDior wrote: »
    I saw this thread because I was having the same problem, and since support was no help, I had to find my own solution. What I chose to do was go into origin settings and there is an option talking about download rates in game, if you click on that and scroll to the bottom of all those options theres one that says don't download in game, clicking that may help for anyone that has this problem in the future.

Hello
    It is very kind of you to post your helpful suggestion for fellow simmers. It is great to read what helps you in your game.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Hello

Hello
    I am sorry :( It seems that once simmers go back online, the game will automatically download packs that are currently uninstalled.
    I wondered if having the automatic setting unticked may have helped, but it hasn't.

I just discovered I could install the game on my new laptop. Not having a clue as to what the laptop can handle, I decided I wouldn't download everything. (I have all SPs to date, all EPs, and all but vampires in the GP realm.) Once the game was ready, I opened it to see if game play was possible. I had to wait until the other stuff installed. Grr. At least Sims3 invites you to de-select packs. The laptop is primarily for travel and my genealogy. I don't wish to crowd those things like my FTM 2017 program and the Word Perfect X8, hubby brought in for me. If it does, I'll have to remove Origin. But, like I said, I didn't expect to take my game along with me. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Hello

Hello

I just discovered I could install the game on my new laptop. Not having a clue as to what the laptop can handle, I decided I wouldn't download everything. (I have all SPs to date, all EPs, and all but vampires in the GP realm.) Once the game was ready, I opened it to see if game play was possible. I had to wait until the other stuff installed. Grr. At least Sims3 invites you to de-select packs. The laptop is primarily for travel and my genealogy. I don't wish to crowd those things like my FTM 2017 program and the Word Perfect X8, hubby brought in for me. If it does, I'll have to remove Origin. But, like I said, I didn't expect to take my game along with me. LOL

Hello
    Congratulations on your new laptop! :) I hope that you enjoy using it for your genealogy work and for when traveling.
    It depends on the computer system how well the laptop will run the Sims games that you install on it.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Glad to know this. I too was thinking about just not installing that pack. But since it does not work i wont. Now i am going to look for a mod that will take vampires put of my game and i will just ignore that world. If they were not all over my game i would be ok with the pack. They were ok for awhile and around Halloween i may try them again for fun but they end up in every save. I wish i could just have them in some saves and some not.
    In sims 2 i just ignored the witches but used the dog trainer. I ignored the supernaturals in sims 3. I like to play aliens so i do not want a mod to get rid of all supernaturals but the vampires are just too much. I too am sorry i purchased the pack.
  • Options
    GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member

Thank you i will do this
  • Options
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    xiaoisxiaois Posts: 141 Member
    Does anyone know if this works, the method that is mentioned in crinricts blog? I've just reinstalled the game, went to play and it installed some stuff packs and a game pack which really slowed down my game. Will disabling them speed it up again?
  • Options
    I know of some users, who have disabled City Living to get rid of the lag.
  • Options
    Savage_lefaSavage_lefa Posts: 1 New Member
    hi everyone
    I really love The Sims but i have a problem with Sins 4 i loged into origin and entered product numbers from the box of sims 4 Disc but it says i should download the game i want to go back and enter product number without downloading by just using the discs i have
  • Options
    hi everyone
    I really love The Sims but i have a problem with Sins 4 i loged into origin and entered product numbers from the box of sims 4 Disc but it says i should download the game i want to go back and enter product number without downloading by just using the discs i have

Hello @Savage_lefa
    This link article may help
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/installing-from-dvd/
    If you are having issues, make sure that you click the tab on the article page that is labeled " avoid downloading" as it contains helpful information .