Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suicidal Vampires are Driving Me Crazy

Seriously, by the time a vampire reaches Grand Master, one would think that they might have figured out that sunlight stings. But the vamps in TS4 will hang out in the sun until they die, even when it is totally avoidable (like on their own home lot). They also show up on public lots in the middle of the day.

I genuinely love the vampire design. They are definitely cool. But their complete lack of self-preservation instincts makes me wonder if they were tested adequately. Please, either tweak them so that they'll get out of the sun, or make sunlight not kill them (give them a strong uncomfortable moodlet instead, or something). They are an endangered species in my game, because they are flaming (literally) idiots. I've had one die on my lot, even after I invited him in. No thanks, I think I'll stand here and implode instead.

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yeah, I've noticed they tend to walk right into the sunlight like it doesn't mean a thing.

It must be a challenge to properly keep them in their houses autonomously, but I hope it can be done.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yeah, I've noticed they tend to walk right into the sunlight like it doesn't mean a thing.

It must be a challenge to properly keep them in their houses autonomously, but I hope it can be done.
  • Options
    HeidrHeidr Posts: 148 Member
    I have expected this, maybe you should put this in bug/issue section. Because they design a vampire to be weak to sunlight, they should be aware of this issue as well. The Sims 3 vampire also did almost the same thing, except they might stay indoor during the day. Only sims 2 vampire seems to be normal since they can only be called during the night and refuse all invitation during the daylight and will run away before the day arrive.
  • Options
    PapayaSkyPapayaSky Posts: 177 Member
    edited February 2017
    Agreed! If they're going to be out in the daytime, they should at least be a little rational. I think it'd be funny to see them skulking about the shadows and trying to avoid direct sunlight, carrying umbrellas, and wearing shades. [url="[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/dlsy14.jpg[/IMG]"]dlsy14.jpg[/url]
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Sims2 vampires got it right in more ways than one. As in vampire population under player control, not automatically proliferating like rats. Only yesterday one of my sims was playing chess in a park, 10AM, and opponent was a vampire (periodically made the grabbing gesture and noises). Didn't leave until my sim beat it. Must have been one toasty vampire.
  • Options
    TJKazuha09TJKazuha09 Posts: 74 Member
    When it came out, i didn't expect them to be this crappy. they are not even acting normally as a vampire who hates the sun. Even if they want to make a 'modern vampire' they need to give them proper umbrella or at least stop them from stepping out of their lair during the daylight. They can make some excuses like they are currently busy working or they can't leave the home because they have an important visitor when they are invited during the daylight. Also, they shouldn't invite someone during the daylight.

They also need to have a proper job. Give us choice to pick between night-shift or day shift so that we don't have to force our vampire to go out during the day light.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2017
    This hasn't happened one time in my game.

Here we go, everyone is getting alien abducted/pregnant/nuke the aliens...and now everyone getting vamps who don't get out of the sun..not happening in my game. I hope to heaven they don't nuke this since I believe it is all how you play and if a vanilla game or cc free or not.

ETA: And yes, they are vampires they should burn if outdoors until you give them the perk to protect them. You have a toggle it's called a perk.

ETA: Fact, Vlad the premade or those twin are Not out in daytime in my game. I have played both the FH and all my other worlds in one save..same existing game I've always had. My own Dracula has not been out during the day, no where, and I have fifteen households who go everywhere (who aren't vamps). Two Sims I turned not seen out during day only day was the day they turned and they were sizzling but I had to leave with my Sim and they are still just fine saw them last week when I played.

Fact this does not happen in my vanilla game and no none have the power to be protected in sun. So, it's the same arguments we had last time about alien abductions.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    I agree with @Cinebar in my game I do not see any vampires out during daylight! I don't know why this is happening for many others, what kind of mods, CC do you use in your game? Not saying I don't use mods, heck I use my own mods as well, and yet I never saw a vampire without the sun protection perk like Caleb and his sister Lilith outside during daylight! Yesterday I saw Caleb fishing in Willow Creek during daylight, but he is protected and does not die in the sun! All the other vampires start coming out around 7 PM in my game, at least in Willow Creek! In Forgotten Hollow I saw them only at midnight usually. I still did never see the Grim reaper in my game because nobody ever seems to die... Kind of annoying, while others suddenly jump into him in the town, I never see ol' Grimmy, only when I kill the sims myself, then I can have a peek on him.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2017
    Tanja1986 wrote: »
    I agree with @Cinebar in my game I do not see any vampires out during daylight! I don't know why this is happening for many others, what kind of mods, CC do you use in your game? Not saying I don't use mods, heck I use my own mods as well, and yet I never saw a vampire without the sun protection perk like Caleb and his sister Lilith outside during daylight! Yesterday I saw Caleb fishing in Willow Creek during daylight, but he is protected and does not die in the sun! All the other vampires start coming out around 7 PM in my game, at least in Willow Creek! In Forgotten Hollow I saw them only at midnight usually. I still did never see the Grim reaper in my game because nobody ever seems to die... Kind of annoying, while others suddenly jump into him in the town, I never see ol' Grimmy, only when I kill the sims myself, then I can have a peek on him.

The other day I saw Grim because of a bug where the game loaded a bunch of elders to visit my restaurant and for some reason it locked up when he tried to take the second one (they all died as soon as they arrived at my restaurant) time continued but he and the Sim was stuck in trying to take the second one on the floor (there were five and no not in a club to visit restaurants) just random Sims. I had to quit without saving and not send her back to her restaurant that day. lol That is one of the very rare times I have seen Grim Reaper in two years.

ETA: Even Dracula (my own Sim) had sense enough not to invite his love interest (the Sim I was playing) to a restaurant (date) until after 8:00 P.M. so I can't really understand why the OP is having this problem. I want to know are you playing with mods OP?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2017
    I've had a few vampires die due to going out in the sunlight. Lilith Vatore was a gym trainer in SM who died when she tried to play basketball (she's now in my home lot graveyard and is a fantastic help with the toddler twins). I had Caleb die waiting to for my sim to answer the door, but that's a bug probably related with MCCC. I've had a few others die in incidents like this, especially when my sun resistant vampires go to the park during daytime, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was because of MCCC.

However, I've run into a weird one where I've tried to kill sims this way. My sim mesmerized several simpires just before sunrise, and this didn't kill them despite them being out in the sun for quite awhile.

But then again, I'm one of those people who generally will get a male sim abducted over and over. MCCC abduction removal doesn't work for vampires yet, and in my last save, my male vampire was being abducted all the time.
  • Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    So now this thread, which I intended as honest feedback about an issue that a LOT of people are having, has turned into a classic, " I don't have it so it doesn't exist" and "blame the mods" thread.

1. The vamp who died on my lot WAS Caleb, the supposedly sun-proof vampire.
    2. The lot in question was in Forgotten Hollow. Caleb showed up at the door in the middle of the day. Sim invites him in. Instead, he stands outside and burns to death.
    3. The game in question was vanilla. I had totally removed the mods folder after the last patch, although I have since reinstalled the latest update of MCC. MCC, and a very small amount of CC, are the only mods I have at the moment.
    4. Vampire townies show up at CL festivals ( which mostly happen during daylight hours) all the time. Festivals are buggy in their own right, but so are the vamps.

I'm also not exactly sure where I requested that they "nuke" vampires. I was pretty clear that I like the design. I just want them to be smart enough to think Gee, I'm on fire, and there's a door three feet away. Maybe I should get out of the sun or something.
    I'm not exactly sure why that's an unreasonable thing to expect.
  • Options
    surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I don't have many vampires in my game yet, just Vlad, the siblings, 2 townies and my sim. When I try to invite the other vampires over during the day, they just don't show up.... I vaguely remember getting a pop up actually that said "so and so is a vampire and can't come over" or something along those lines. (Don't quote me because it's honestly a vague memory, who knows, maybe I dreamt it, because I only saw it once, even though I invite vampires over all the time) maybe it was a one time warning?
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    surraaaaaa wrote: »
    I don't have many vampires in my game yet, just Vlad, the siblings, 2 townies and my sim. When I try to invite the other vampires over during the day, they just don't show up.... I vaguely remember getting a pop up actually that said "so and so is a vampire and can't come over" or something along those lines. (Don't quote me because it's honestly a vague memory, who knows, maybe I dreamt it, because I only saw it once, even though I invite vampires over all the time) maybe it was a one time warning?

Oh, yes, inviting vampires over is problematic because during the day they can't come over and at night they say they're sleeping. There is a mod fix for this.

But that's different from the game choosing to send vampires during the day to lots and having them end up fried.
  • Options
    fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    meubanks wrote: »
    So now this thread, which I intended as honest feedback about an issue that a LOT of people are having, has turned into a classic, " I don't have it so it doesn't exist" and "blame the mods" thread.

2. The lot in question was in Forgotten Hollow. Caleb showed up at the door in the middle of the day. Sim invites him in. Instead, he stands outside and burns to death.
    3. The game in question was vanilla. I had totally removed the mods folder after the last patch, although I have since reinstalled the latest update of MCC. MCC, and a very small amount of CC, are the only mods I have at the moment.
    4. Vampire townies show up at CL festivals ( which mostly happen during daylight hours) all the time. Festivals are buggy in their own right, but so are the vamps.

I'm also not exactly sure where I requested that they "nuke" vampires. I was pretty clear that I like the design. I just want them to be smart enough to think Gee, I'm on fire, and there's a door three feet away. Maybe I should get out of the sun or something.

The problem is MCC was responsible for caleb not getting the sun protection buff. I know because I was the first person to notice it, report it, and I forgot I hadn't taken it out. Once I did everything was fine. So that problem was caused by MCC. I don't know if MCC has been updated yet to fix that issue or not.

As far as vampires going out in the daylight...I wonder if the game is calling on them because it has no regular human townies to call for jobs? I specifically allow for 25-30 families to be generated for jobs for the game most are humans. So I haven't had any vampires roasting except Vlad. He did find his way outside once and died, but once he did I never had any issues after that.
  • Options
    NiniNini Posts: 309 Member
    In my game too, there's been issues every time my Sim is out with friends and that gets everyone depressed afterwards - it needs to stop!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Seriously, by the time a vampire reaches Grand Master, one would think that they might have figured out that sunlight stings. But the vamps in TS4 will hang out in the sun until they die, even when it is totally avoidable (like on their own home lot). They also show up on public lots in the middle of the day.

I genuinely love the vampire design. They are definitely cool. But their complete lack of self-preservation instincts makes me wonder if they were tested adequately. Please, either tweak them so that they'll get out of the sun, or make sunlight not kill them (give them a strong uncomfortable moodlet instead, or something). They are an endangered species in my game, because they are flaming (literally) plum. I've had one die on my lot, even after I invited him in. No thanks, I think I'll stand here and implode instead.

I"m sure this will be tuned or fixed.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2017

I genuinely love the vampire design. They are definitely cool. But their complete lack of self-preservation instincts makes me wonder if they were tested adequately. Please, either tweak them so that they'll get out of the sun, or make sunlight not kill them (give them a strong uncomfortable moodlet instead, or something). They are an endangered species in my game, because they are flaming (literally) plum. I've had one die on my lot, even after I invited him in. No thanks, I think I'll stand here and implode instead.

Noooo -- No nerfing the vamps!! They are perfect as they are.

The only vampires that have died by sunlight have been the ones I was playing (in particular, one that had extra sun weakness). Like @Cinebar I see very few vampires out and about during the day and so far there have been no NPC/uncontrollable vampire suicides.

• Options
    Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    The newest version of MCC that you can download on MTS is responsible for the sun protection not working! I am a patron and downloaded the newest version which is not open for public yet and the problem is fixed. So yes if you use the MTS version of that mod you will have to take extra precautions for Caleb and his sister who both CAN walk in the sun! Caleb did fish in Willow Creek during daylight yesterday and had no problem whatsoever!
  • Options

The problem is MCC was responsible for caleb not getting the sun protection buff. I know because I was the first person to notice it, report it, and I forgot I hadn't taken it out. Once I did everything was fine. So that problem was caused by MCC. I don't know if MCC has been updated yet to fix that issue or not.

As far as vampires going out in the daylight...I wonder if the game is calling on them because it has no regular human townies to call for jobs? I specifically allow for 25-30 families to be generated for jobs for the game most are humans. So I haven't had any vampires roasting except Vlad. He did find his way outside once and died, but once he did I never had any issues after that. [/

Thanks for the information. MCCC fixes more that it breaks, so I'll probably just avoid playing with vamps until it gets updated. DP is fairly good about supporting the mod and addressing any issues.

It still doesn't address the vampires lack of survival instincts, which needs fixed. What really bothered me about that particular incident was that Caleb stood there and roasted to death AFTER I had invited him in. It was a completely silly and avoidable way to go. I realize that the sims is not a deep simulation of realistic behavior, but some basic self preservation programing isn't too much to ask.
  • Options
    "As far as vampires going out in the daylight...I wonder if the game is calling on them because it has no regular human townies to call for jobs? I specifically allow for 25-30 families to be generated for jobs for the game most are humans. So I haven't had any vampires roasting except Vlad. He did find his way outside once and died, but once he did I never had any issues after that."

That's possible, because I started a new game, and the game might not have generated enough random townies yet. I don't monkey with MCC population settings at all. I don't really care about townies or culling, so I keep it set to the EA defaults. I mainly use the mod to squash annoying behaviors, to work around bugs, and for testing content efficiently. So my settings should not prevent new townies from being generated, unless there is a conflict with the mod. I'll keep an eye out for updates.

My vanilla test did confirm that most of the issues in my game are still there without the mods, even after a factory reset and on a fresh save file. Frankly I had to reinstall MCCC because it either fixes them or makes for easier workarounds. I've left the vast majority of my CC out. I won't have time to test things for a while, though. I'll watch for updates on MTS.
  • Options
    14hours14hours Posts: 82 Member
    I invited Vlad and Caleb to the museum in the middle of the day to get to know them better and as soon as the screen loaded in I paused the game and selected "go here together". Vlad didn't even make it past the gate and now I have his urn on my fireplace. I tried pleading with the grim reaper to no avail. I feel like if Vlad had such low energy he should have declined the invite.

Also, Caleb always invites me out in the middle of the day x| that annoys the hell out of me.

I love that you see vampires walking around at night time, even in non-Forgotten Hollow worlds, but it feels like that, burning from sunlight and the moon child perk are the only things they took into consideration when think about vampires and sunshine :/ Ringing my vampire friends in the middle of the night only to find out they're sleeping is infuriating! I don't want to use mods for this, it seems like something so simple and logical that the devs just passed over.
    B6dXq3o.png
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Tanja1986 wrote: »
    The newest version of MCC that you can download on MTS is responsible for the sun protection not working! I am a patron and downloaded the newest version which is not open for public yet and the problem is fixed. So yes if you use the MTS version of that mod you will have to take extra precautions for Caleb and his sister who both CAN walk in the sun! Caleb did fish in Willow Creek during daylight yesterday and had no problem whatsoever!

Good to know @Tanja1986 :)

Does the new MCCC have any options for adjusting percentages for vamp alien abductions and pregnancy chance from bat woohoo?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i've got two suicidal vampires in my (unmodded) game. though one is pretty much my fault. i had a vampire turn a random npc who happened to be a food stall vendor. said new vampire is totally fine when working, but after work, she just stands outside the stall and complains about burning while i use cheats to keep her power up until i get frustrated and send my household elsewhere so she actually goes home

the other is a doctor one of my vampires turned while at the hospital while another vampire in the household was giving birth. he would always show up walking down the street in windenberg the vampire family had their castle in just before the sun came up, so would spend half his sloooow saunter on fire (again, used cheats to keep his stats up until he left). that one, i eventually got fed up and invited him to the household after his sire had entirely too many discussions with him about 'sun bad'

also, yes, the inability to invite vampires over at night is frustrating. though i've sort of gotten around that with competing vampire clubs, which i have a lot of fun with.
  • Options
    dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    You could try DayWalker Vampires by TwistedMexi at MTS. Not had a problem with "suicidal" vampires - yet - but he's pretty reliable.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I don't know if it's just me or what but I had Vlad go around and turn several men because I'm working on the 100 baby challenge and wanted some possible vampires. I invited one of the new vampires over after he'd turned and it told me he was sleeping. I invited him at 7:56 PM. When I tried again at 8:20 pm he gladly said he'd come over. I removed all of my mods so I know none of those are causing a problem. All of the people I had Vlad change, did stand outside for some time right after they turned into vampires but managed to not die somehow. Also, Caleb no longer burns in my game. He comes over every day because he's one of the fathers and stands outside because I locked people out. Perhaps there was an update since first checked?