Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game keeps crashing!!!

Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
edited January 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
I don't know if it was since the toddlers patch or the vampires pack, but my game crashes in game play, i can build just fine. I can't even make it through a whole sims day. The game is unplayable right now.

I won't post the dxdiag cause I know my computers isn't a gaming computer and it is in fact over heating, but this problem is just during gameplay.

Should I lower the sim graphics so it stops crashing? Suggestions please!

Also I already cleared up the cache files and repaired the game.
21mbz47.jpg

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Yes, lower the graphics if your game is overheating. Set Origin to play the game in 32-bit mode, not 64. Set Vsync on in the Game Options. Don't play without a laptop cooler. Plug the laptop into the wall when you play. And if it still happens, stop unless you're keen on emergency computer shopping.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yes, lower the graphics if your game is overheating. Set Origin to play the game in 32-bit mode, not 64. Set Vsync on in the Game Options. Don't play without a laptop cooler. Plug the laptop into the wall when you play. And if it still happens, stop unless you're keen on emergency computer shopping.

I will get a new computer, but like mid February or by the end of February. I will actually have it built.

Should I also play in laptop mode?

Oooh it was in 64bit... That's weird I used to have it in 32bit... maybe it changed automatically with the new GP or toddler patch ...
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Orchid13 wrote: »

I will get a new computer, but like mid February or by the end of February. I will actually have it built.

Laptop mode is a shortcut for turning down a whole bunch of settings, mostly graphics ones. Might as well, though you could try customizing your own turned-down graphics instead.

Also yay new computers! Reminds me I need to bug my kid to open mine up and pop in the new RAM. (I could, but he enjoys it more.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Laptop mode is a shortcut for turning down a whole bunch of settings, mostly graphics ones. Might as well, though you could try customizing your own turned-down graphics instead.

Also yay new computers! Reminds me I need to bug my kid to open mine up and pop in the new RAM. (I could, but he enjoys it more.)

Yeah :) I think you've been in some of my threads where I've asked for what I should buy in my new computer :) very useful, thanks :)

Hopefully switching it to 32 bit will work. I remember I used to have issues with the 64 bit when it came out. Hopefully it's that.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Ok it keeps crashing... what should I do. Reset the game or something?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

You've done everything graphics-wise? You could try resetting the gameplay folder. Try to see if a fresh save behaves (in case it's that save that's the issue). But if none of that works, you might just have pushed your laptop to it's breaking point.
  • Options

You've done everything graphics-wise? You could try resetting the gameplay folder. Try to see if a fresh save behaves (in case it's that save that's the issue). But if none of that works, you might just have pushed your laptop to it's breaking point.

I'm hearing some people had issues after the vampire pack. Now I'm trying playing offline and unchecked the box from origin in game or something.

Can you please remind me how to reset the gameplay folder. I don't get why it happens now and not in build mode.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Ok non of this works. Guess my computer can't handle it anymore... :(

I don't know if resetting the gameplay file will work
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Hello
    To reset the sims 4 folder, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issues are in that new save game also.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    To reset the sims 4 folder, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder

Do you think that could really make a difference at this point? :/
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Hello

Do you think that could really make a difference at this point? :/

It may help the crashing issues. Try starting a fresh new save game and see if the issues remain.
    It may though be a result of your computer , not being able to handle the game now. I am sorry :(
  • Options
    It's ok :( I'm resetting it now. So im resetting the game. To put back my old file do I replace the new folder with the one I used to have?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    It's ok :( I'm resetting it now. So im resetting the game. To put back my old file do I replace the new folder with the one I used to have?

Put back in just the files, into the new folders. Sometimes this all helps, sometimes it doesn't - crashing can have a lot of causes. I'm not hugely optimistic, though, given you're getting overheating not just crashing :/
  • Options
    It did work with the fresh new file, but I obviously don't have anything in that file.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    You could try saving your sims from your old game to the library if you can get into the old save, then place thrn into the new save game. Then see how playing the new save game goes.
  • Options
    You could try saving your sims from your old game to the library if you can get into the old save, then place thrn into the new save game. Then see how playing the new save game goes.

I mean I now replaced the new folder with my old one in the new file that was made. But maybe I did it wrong did I have to move only the files from the old game or could I just replace the new the sims 4 file with the old one?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

I mean I now replaced the new folder with my old one in the new file that was made. But maybe I did it wrong did I have to move only the files from the old game or could I just replace the new the sims 4 file with the old one?

You need to only place the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the old desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder. They replace the new files/ folders that have the same name.
  • Options

You need to only place the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the old desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder. They replace the new files/ folders that have the same name.

Oh ok. I messed up. I'll do that now. Thank you.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Is there a way to know when it's CC. I mean yesterday I did in fact have a problem with CC, and I couldn't even play, it would crash on start up. I took out some files and then it loaded just fine. I was able to build and edit in CAS. The game only crashed when I actually played.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Is there a way to know when it's CC. I mean yesterday I did in fact have a problem with CC, and I couldn't even play, it would crash on start up. I took out some files and then it loaded just fine. I was able to build and edit in CAS. The game only crashed when I actually played.

You can pull the whole Mods folder out so there's no CC available, restart the game, and see if that helps. But CC doesn't often crash a game; it more often causes it not to load or messes up gameplay.
  • Options
    Thank you luthier :) so it's probably not CC then. I've heard some people are having crashing problems in general :/ is that true?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options

You can pull the whole Mods folder out so there's no CC available, restart the game, and see if that helps. But CC doesn't often crash a game; it more often causes it not to load or messes up gameplay.

Usually when I've had issues with CC this happens:

-Game Crashes in startup
    -When I click play the computer actually tells me what's the corrupted file
    -Had a changing clothes mod and all my options when interacting where changing clothes
    -Some furniture just turns black
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Is there a way you guys can tell me if it's my computer? If I build a computer it's still pretty expensive so if the game is having problems itself I'll just waste money :/
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Hello
    If you post information about your computer, simmers can advise about whether they think that it is capable to handle the game.
    Some of the issues that you are having are affecting many simmers who have a wide variety of different computer systems. Some issues are game related, others are related to the computer.
  • Options
    dxdiag then? Which part do you need. I'm pretty sure there is no need to post the whole thing, right?
    21mbz47.jpg