Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Tips

I have a huge problem where I just don't connect with my narrative. Like, I have yet to discover a style of legacy writing that I like enough to continue. I start, I like the story in my head, but I don't know how to communicate it. I don't really have this problem in my book writing outside of sims lol and I really like legacies. I would love to actually be able to stick with one. I'm going through my blog completely clearing garbage out so I can try to find something I like and make something that I'm legitimately happy with. Does anybody have tips on how to write a legacy and not absolutely hate it?

Comments

• Options
    pandabear1836pandabear1836 Posts: 2,269 Member
    Well, I basically just address what is going on in the pictures. If my sim has a speech bubble with a beetle in it, I make them say something about beetles! I also take notes while I'm playing, so that when I writing the chapter, I remember exactly what happened, who sims are in the background, and what the whole chapter is about overall. I really enjoy when I'm writing up my chapters! Great pictures really make a difference in how you and others see your story :)
  • Options
    NocturnalDuetNocturnalDuet Posts: 88 Member
    @CeltyGirly I've struggled with this too. I've wanted to play through a complete legacy and write about it for years, but could never seem to make myself even play past the second generation. I'd get bored with my characters and eventually abandon it.

I think part of the issue is that I am a perfectionist, and my own worse critic. I'd get in to my own head, thinking that there is really no point to posting this story online, because it's crap, and I'd scrap the idea and drop the Sims for a while. I really hate not finishing what I start, so it got to the point where I just forced myself to be honest and to think about why I was writing. Was I writing for approval? Was I writing because I loved the story? Was I writing because I just love to write? I knew what the answer was, but hadn't been honest with myself about it. I love writing and have since I was a child, but I am a people pleaser, and afraid of rejection. And that's what stopped me from publishing stories or even trying to finish a legacy.

When thinking about my goals for 2017, I decided that I was limiting my potential to be successful as a writer, and it was time to move past that. I decided that I would create a legacy in Sims 4 and that I would follow through with it. If I hated the story or my characters, I'd reach out, be vulnerable, and ask for help from more experienced SimLit writers. I might even take a short break. But I would not give up and I would not quit. To become a better writer, you have to keep writing, and quitting every story/legacy that I started wasn't helping me.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but here's my advice: decide what your motivation is for writing, and remind yourself of it when you don't like your characters or your writing. Push through it. If a particular plot point or section is giving you trouble, put it down for a few days and come back to it. Build friendships and a network with other writers, and maybe join or start a reading circle with the intent to receive constructive criticism on your writing and give it to others. But don't give up on yourself, or on your writing.

When I thought about my own writing over the holidays, I realized that I have this urge to write and create because it's a part of who I am. It's a passion of mine. And that I was only hurting myself with my perfectionism and refusal to take risks. I need to keep writing even when I'm stuck, or am not a huge fan of a character. I can't improve my craft if I just stop trying.

Apologies for the long post. You are definitely not alone in your struggle. :smile: If there's anything I can do to help you, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Good luck in your writing!
  • Options
    WinteryGarnetWinteryGarnet Posts: 2,320 Member
    @CeltyGirly I've struggled with this too. I've wanted to play through a complete legacy and write about it for years, but could never seem to make myself even play past the second generation. I'd get bored with my characters and eventually abandon it.

I think part of the issue is that I am a perfectionist, and my own worse critic. I'd get in to my own head, thinking that there is really no point to posting this story online, because it's plum, and I'd scrap the idea and drop the Sims for a while. I really hate not finishing what I start, so it got to the point where I just forced myself to be honest and to think about why I was writing. Was I writing for approval? Was I writing because I loved the story? Was I writing because I just love to write? I knew what the answer was, but hadn't been honest with myself about it. I love writing and have since I was a child, but I am a people pleaser, and afraid of rejection. And that's what stopped me from publishing stories or even trying to finish a legacy.

When thinking about my goals for 2017, I decided that I was limiting my potential to be successful as a writer, and it was time to move past that. I decided that I would create a legacy in Sims 4 and that I would follow through with it. If I hated the story or my characters, I'd reach out, be vulnerable, and ask for help from more experienced SimLit writers. I might even take a short break. But I would not give up and I would not quit. To become a better writer, you have to keep writing, and quitting every story/legacy that I started wasn't helping me.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but here's my advice: decide what your motivation is for writing, and remind yourself of it when you don't like your characters or your writing. Push through it. If a particular plot point or section is giving you trouble, put it down for a few days and come back to it. Build friendships and a network with other writers, and maybe join or start a reading circle with the intent to receive constructive criticism on your writing and give it to others. But don't give up on yourself, or on your writing.

When I thought about my own writing over the holidays, I realized that I have this urge to write and create because it's a part of who I am. It's a passion of mine. And that I was only hurting myself with my perfectionism and refusal to take risks. I need to keep writing even when I'm stuck, or am not a huge fan of a character. I can't improve my craft if I just stop trying.

Apologies for the long post. You are definitely not alone in your struggle. :smile: If there's anything I can do to help you, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Good luck in your writing!

I write because I love to! I've been a writer basically my entire life :) but just like you I'm a super perfectionist! I scrap things and try to rewrite them until I'm in a perpetual loop of this isn't good enough!!!

Is the legacy in your banner the legacy you want to stick with this year? I would love to follow it and support you as you try to keep a story without scrapping it!!! Thank you for your long post :) I appreciate it!! :D
  • Options
    @CeltyGirly Yes! The banner in my signature is the legacy I am determined to finish. :smile: I would love your support and hope you enjoy the story! :smile:
  • Options
    KingStianKingStian Posts: 41 Member
    It's easy to get stuck in a loop of self criticism. You can write something and then go back after a little while and start questioning it. A recurring tips I see around is to not try to make dialogue perfect right of the bat, cause you can always go back and edit and clean it up later. It's easier said than done, that's for sure. I'm doing it myself all the time.

I 'm trying to write something, but it's hard to get it going. I'm not doing a legacy, but rather a independent story where I use the game more like props. Add in the fact I'm trying to write in english, which isn't my first language, and you have my headache. I feel I have a pretty good grasp on both understanding and writing in english, but it makes me hyper critical of what I write and the flow of my dialogue.
  • Options
    @CeltyGirly Yes! The banner in my signature is the legacy I am determined to finish. :smile: I would love your support and hope you enjoy the story! :smile:

Can you link me to it? If there's a link in the banner I can't get to it.
  • Options
    CeltyGirly wrote: »

Can you link me to it? If there's a link in the banner I can't get to it.

In my signature now! Here is the link as well.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/909670/the-sterling-legacy-updated-1-22-2017-chapter-1-4/p1
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I write my legacies about the towns and the residents from the birth of the new town until it's been alive for generations.I don't focus on just one family and will focus on the story of the town's population.I use gamplay pictures to help with telling the story.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I write my legacies about the towns and the residents from the birth of the new town until it's been alive for generations.I don't focus on just one family and will focus on the story of the town's population.I use gamplay pictures to help with telling the story.

This is actually a really good idea, I didn't think about playing multiple townie families and building a story from that.
  • Options
    ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    edited January 2017
    Between this:
    I have yet to discover a style of legacy writing that I like enough to continue.
    And this:
    I don't really have this problem in my book writing outside of sims.
    I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that maybe legacy writing is not for you. Yes, you may love reading them, but perhaps writing them is not where your passion lies. How about trying your hand at something more akin to what you do in your book writing outside of Sims: a plotted story that you then use the game to illustrate, rather than playing your game and trying to write a story around what happens?
    tfb.jpg
  • Options
    Between this:
    I have yet to discover a style of legacy writing that I like enough to continue.
    And this:
    I don't really have this problem in my book writing outside of sims.
    I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that maybe legacy writing is not for you. Yes, you may love reading them, but perhaps writing them is not where your passion lies. How about trying your hand at something more akin to what you do in your book writing outside of Sims: a plotted story that you then use the game to illustrate, rather than playing your game and trying to write a story around what happens?

This actually makes a lot of sense. I'm currently doing kind of a mix, because for the first time I'm writing before going into game, but I'm still kind of playing off the game a bit(randomizing traits, not planning the children, allowing sims whims to change outcome). I think going forward I'll try out what you suggest. I'll plan out plots and writing, but use the legacy format. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    Wow, I love these ideas they are wonderful and I love the Sterling Legacy keep it coming.