Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sterling Legacy {Updated 1/22/2017 - Chapter 1.4!}

NocturnalDuetNocturnalDuet Posts: 88 Member
Hi Everyone, thank you for stopping by! This is my first Sims 4 legacy, and I hope you enjoy it. I plan to follow the original rules created by Pinstar, but if the story warrants it, I may bend certain rules. If I do so, there will be full disclosure. Pinstar's Legacy Challenge rules can be found here.

Here are my Succession Laws:

Gender: Equality - Both boys and girls are eligible for the title of heir.

Bloodline: Strict Traditional - To be eligible to be named heir, a child must be naturally born from their previous-generation parents and be able to trace an unbroken bloodline back to the founder. Adopted children may never be named heir.

Heir: Democracy (First Choice) - The heir is chosen by your viewers/readers from among the pool of eligible heirs.
*Note: If, for some reason, choosing an heir via vote fails, I will use the First Born Heir Law to select the next heir. In the case of a tie, the child who has completed the most aspirations will win.*

Species: Xenophobic: Heirs cannot be a different species from the founder.

Now to meet our founder! :smiley:

j2HviT6.png

Valentina Sterling, Val to friends and family, is a very Ambitious woman. She is Active, and a Genius in her own right. (Or so her parents have told her.) Her Lifetime wish is Nerd Brain. She has a great sense of humor and is a bit quirky! She grew up the only child to Jim and Anita Sterling, in Florida. A recent tragedy has her lifting up her roots and settling in Willow Creek to start over. She is heartbroken and lonely, but she can't help but be hopeful about the future! Chapter One will be up soon!
Post edited by NocturnalDuet on

Comments

• NocturnalDuetNocturnalDuet Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2017

Chapter 1.0: New Beginnings

As she took a deep, cleansing breath, her mother’s words at graduation drifted in to her mind…

“Valentina, you know your father and I are delighted that you’ve decided to pursue a career as an astronaut. We could not be more proud of you. I will warn you though, from experience, that it is a male-dominated field. You’re going to have men think you are not as smart as they are, or take your blonde hair for granted. But pay them no heed. Your integrity, grit, and character will do more to shape you than anyone’s approval ever can. You can do this and achieve your dreams. Be true to yourself. I love you!”

Tears slipped down her cheeks and Val wiped them away. Mama, I miss you. Val heaved a sigh as she looked at her new land. After her parents’ death at the launch pad, Val couldn’t stay in the house she grew up in. The memories were just too painful. Shortly after their death, she received a job offer in Willow Creek for an internship, with the promise that it would turn in to full time work if all went well. So, she sold the house, her parents’ belongings, and decided a fresh start was what she needed. The only item she brought with her was a suit of armor that was a family heirloom. She felt a little silly gazing at it on her new lawn, but she could not bring herself to part with it.

4bfO6Pw.png

Her parents met while working at NASA, and quickly fell in love. After Valentina was born, her parents chose not to have any more children, content with each other and their darling daughter. Valentina knew that her parents named her after the first female astronaut, and she was very proud of this.

Val’s dream was to work alongside her parents, and she worked hard through high school and college to earn her way in to a position at NASA. Unfortunately, her dream was not meant to be. Shortly after graduating with the highest honors, Val was devastated when she learned that her parents both passed away during an experiment gone wrong at the launch pad. They died instantly and without pain, and she was thankful for that. She was, however, devastated by their loss. Will this hole in my heart ever go away?

Her vibrating pocket broke her morose thoughts.

7Psa0oZ.png

“Hello?” Val answered.

“Valentina? This is Rick Malone, I hope you are getting settled in. We’re excited about having you start tomorrow. There’s lots to do. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call me, this is my cell.”

“Thank you, sir. I am obviously excited about the opportunity and can’t wait to start. I’ll be sure to reach out with anything I need!” Val hoped she didn’t sound too overeager.

She could hear a smile in Rick’s voice as he responded. “Sounds good, Valentina, we’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay, Rick. And call me Val. Everyone does.” Val said good bye and pressed the end button. If nothing else, the call lifted her spirits a bit, and she grinned.

I’m so stinking excited about this job! Finally, after so many years and grueling hours of studying, I am finally on my way to be an astronaut!

With that, Val headed to the flea market to pick up some second-hand items for her new home. She didn’t have a lot of money left over from the flight and purchase of the land. 1,800 Simoleans, in fact. But she thought she might be able to grab a few essentials. I’ll have to find some ways to earn some extra cash to make it through until payday.

Val gazed up at the sky and smiled.

RkwSvdj.png
    Love you, Mom and Dad. I don’t know if you’re watching, but know that I love you both, I miss you, and I hope I make you proud.
    Post edited by NocturnalDuet on
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Great start! Looking forward to reading more.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
    @Goulsquash Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to comment. :smile:
  • thejenniferthejennifer Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2017
    Ohhh! I am loving this!! Val is a cutie, I can't wait to see how this'll go, I'm anxious to read more. You have a great writing style, it's very captivating. :blush:
    @thejennifer Eeee yay! Thank you so much. I hope to post the next chapter tonight, but we'll see. A patch for FFXIV came out today, and hubby is anxious to play! We only have one PC, so we shall see what happens. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment!!
    Ohh, okay! Understandable, but if anything, I'm sure the chapter will be well worth the wait!
  • steviewasheresteviewashere Posts: 47 Member
    Your founder is so pretty! I'm loving this, hope there's more soon! ;)
  • OceanRose56OceanRose56 Posts: 47 Member
    Great story so far! Can't wait to read more. :blush:
    32526440414_e719483cf8_n.jpg

Your founder is so pretty! I'm loving this, hope there's more soon! ;)

@steviewashere Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed the beginning, there will definitely be more soon!
    Great story so far! Can't wait to read more. :blush:

@OceanRose56 Thank you so much, I appreciate that. I'm really enjoying Val and I will be posting the next chapter soon! Thanks for reading!
  • LiseyLisey Posts: 195 Member
    I love this! You're a great writer! Excited to read more. :)
    Lisey wrote: »
    I love this! You're a great writer! Excited to read more. :)

@Lisey I so appreciate you taking the time to read, thank you so much. And thank you for the compliment. I love writing and have wanted to do a legacy for a couple of years, but was never brave enough to post my writing publicly. I decided 2017 was going to be a year when I get out of my comfort zone, and here we are. Your comment was so encouraging to me, thank you!!! ❤
  • ThomasLeThomasThomasLeThomas Posts: 78 Member
    Ahhh she's so pretty! And you're such a great writer! :smiley: Good job
    I got a new blog! Click here!
    Ahhh she's so pretty! And you're such a great writer! :smiley: Good job

@ThomasLeThomas Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for taking the time to read.

Chapter 1.1 - Fruitcake, Scavenging, and Yummy Men

After a fitful night of sleep on a bench, Val regretted her decisions the day before. Skipping out on a bed seemed like a good idea at the time. Her body had zero hesitation letting her know that had been a dumb decision. Well, not much I can do now until I can get some cash. Val gazed at her meager belongings but still felt proud of her little homestead.

Jk7vRZx.png

The items she picked up at the flea market the day before were not the best quality and she probably paid more than she should have, but it was better than nothing at all. She was hungry, and there was conveniently a stream nearby. She knew that she had seen fish jumping, so she picked up the derelict pole she had purchased at the flea market, and went to catch breakfast!

STDKS8q.png

After catching and frying a fish or two, Val was satiated. She took a speedy shower, because her home wasn't exactly private right now. Just as she finished braiding her wet hair, her watch started beeping. If she didn't hurry, she was going to be late for her first day at the office! Val grabbed a few handfuls of chips while throwing her shoes on, and she quickly headed to work.

Her first day at work was pretty wonderful. She had her own cube, even though it was kind of small. Rick introduced her to the team and after she finished the orientation, sent her home early and told her to get a good night's rest. Kiiinda hard to do that without a bed. Ugh.

After returning home and organizing some more of her things in some underbed storage she had bought, she heard a "Hello there"! It scared the plum out of her!

Val peeked her head around the wall and was surprised to see two young men, standing by her mailbox, smiling and waving. "Hmm, neighbors, maybe?" Val awkwardly waved back and made her way towards them.

"H-hello?" Val swallowed hard and grimaced a tad, she hated that her voice cracked when she was nervous. "Can I help any of you?"

The cute blonde spoke up first. "Hi, my name is Ryan, and this is one of my roommates. We saw you move in yesterday and wanted to come meet you. We're neighbors!" Val couldn't help but smile back.

"Well, thanks, I'm Valentina, but you can call me Val. Less of a mouthful." Plum, that was a little awkward. Ryan didn't seem to notice.

"I brought you some fruit cake! I can't promise that it will be good, but we didn't want to come over empty handed. Eat it at your own peril." Ryan waggled his eyebrows while his roommate rolled his eyes.

AMxpR1A.png

The redheaded, preppy guy spoke up. "Ignore Ryan, he's a goofball. I'm Tatum, it's great to meet you. Welcome to Willow Creek! What brought you to our little corner of the world, if you don't mind me asking?" Tatum smiled warmly at her, and she felt her heartbeat pick up a bit.

"Well, I was offered an internship with the space exploration program here. It's my dream, so I couldn't say no."

UM5zjrP.png
    Imma be an astronaut!

"Wow, a braniac huh? I wouldn't have pegged you for an aspiring astronaut. Just shows that you can't read a book by its cover." Val nodded her head in agreement, smirking a bit as she remembered her mom saying that some people might underestimate her. Point to you, Mom.

"Well, thanks for coming over, guys. I really appreciate it. It was great to meet you both. I do have a question for you though." Val hesitated a second, but was encouraged when both men smiled and nodded encouragingly. "I am kinda strapped for cash? So I wanted to ask - is there anything I can do around here to collect some extra Simoleans, just until I get my first paycheck? Oddjobs, things like that?" Val took a deep breath and waited for their answer.

"Oh dude, totally!" Ryan responded enthusiastically. "Actually, you are living in a prime spot. There are tons of frogs and plants around here. We have a lot of collectors, and those people pay very well for certain items. Most are common, but hey, every Simolean counts, right?" Val nodded thoughtfully. That sounded perfect, and it was a good way to get to know the area too.

"That is perfect, thanks Ryan. You've both been very kind and helpful. I feel very welcomed." She laughed a bit as both men looked undeniably smug.

"Well, we won't keep you, you have frogs to catch! Don't hesitate to stop by if you need a cup of sugar or stick of butter!" Tatum winked and Val turned a little red. This guy was a bit of a flirt!

"I will, thanks again. Have a great afternoon!" Val waved as the two walked away.

tnQMBFd.png

Val giggled when she realized that Ryan had left with the fruitcake! Well, it sounds like that might be in my favor?

She immediately took their advice and began traipsing around her property, lifting branches, peeking her head around bushes, and exploring. She really had gotten a great deal on this land, and she had awesome neighbors to boot. Things were definitely looking up!

It didn't take long before Val began to start breathing hard from the exercise. Man, if I'm going to fly in space, I have to get in better shape. Guess it's time to hit the gym I saw on my way in. Val changed into her sneakers and into a crop top and capris. She decided to use her jog on the way there as a warm up.

Val was impressed when she arrived at the gym. It was very modern, had state of the art equipment, and was, well, clean. "Nice!" she murmured as she surveyed the gym. An extremely muscular guy caught her eye and grinned. Yummy, Val thought.

Yj3sTCw.png

"Hey there, you look new. I'm Marcus Flex."

Val snorted before she could catch herself and clapped her hand over her mouth.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry, that was really rude. My name is Val." Marcus threw his head back and laughed.

"Hey, don't sweat it, trust me, I've heard worse. Want a tour of the gym?" Val was grateful for the change of topic and nodded. "Follow me then."

After the tour, Val felt comfortable with the layout and thanked Marcus.

She started out with another slow jog on the treadmill, then moved to the weight machine. She eyed the weight machine and her brow furrowed in determination. No pain, no gain, sister. She sat down and began the exercise.

G0oYN2K.png

Before long, she was taking deep breaths and sweating profusely, but she made herself complete a few more sets before she relaxed. Val stood up slowly from the weight machine, and looked down at herself. Whoa, I am nas-tay. Gross.

AT9LWDW.png

After showering, Val dressed in the clothes she had brought with her, and explored the city a bit more. She found a cafe she was interested in visiting, but the work out had taken its toll. She yawned and sleepily made her way home.

Tomorrow, I'll gather some more items to sell and then enjoy a nice cup of freshly ground coffee. That sounded amazing, considering her dinner had consisted of strawberries and a few apples.

Val headed back to her bench and sighed. A bed is on the top of the priority list. Surprisingly, Val became drowsy immediately, and the soothing sound of the stream and crickets lulled her in to a deep, dreamless sleep.

OTU10Fr.png
    Sweet dreams, Val.

Loving it! :)
    @steviewashere Thank you, I'm glad you are enjoying it!!
    I am, you've given me something to look forward to lol
    @steviewashere Wow, thank you! That's really kind of you. I'm actually writing the next chapter now. Val is developing some friendships, and possibly a few romantic interests. :wink:

Chapter 1.2 - Coffee and Hottie Hunting

Man, it has been such a long week. Val was exhausted, but so content. She had been able to purchase a decent bed by midweek after she received her paycheck, and good Lord, was it a life changer. She took Ryan's advice and scavenged some crystals, frogs, and sold some produce. She kept quite a bit of the produce, since she could use it in salads, herbs for seasoning in the future, and hopefully, start a garden! Val smirked, I guess there's really not much of a chance for me to start a garden, but who knows! Maybe I'll wake up with a green thumb one day!

The highlight of the week was the promotion! Rick called her in to his office on Friday afternoon, which scared the plum out of her. Called to the boss's office after only five days of work? Yikes! She was incredibly surprised when he told her they were promoting her to one of the Module Cleaners.

"I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but the guys up top have taken an interest in you after seeing your talent, determination, and passion for what you do. I have to tell you, I've never had an employee start who caught their attention so quickly. So I want to gradually move you in to more visible roles. You could really go places, Val, sooner than you think." Rick looked extremely pleased. Val was just a little, well, shocked.

"Thank you, sir. I can't even imagine what I should say, but I guess it's obvious that I love what I do. I've never had a good poker face. Thank you for the continued opportunities, I hope they don't think it's a wasted investment!" Val was very worried about that happening but tried not to show it. Keep it cool, Val.

"I highly doubt that will happen. Just keep performing like you have. Then I'll get to say, I knew her when..." Rick responded with a smile. Val thanked him again for the opportunity to prove herself, took the nice bonus, and went home.

Once again, her vibrating pocket broke her reverie. "Hey, V, heard you got promoted! Congrats!" Ryan's cheerful voice made her smile.

"Well, thank you! But how did you find out?? I haven't told anyone!" Val was very surprised. She also found Ryan's nickname amusing - no one had ever called her 'V' before. She kind of liked it.

"Eh, word gets around. I know you've been eyeing that cafe in Windenburg and haven't visited it yet. Want to grab some coffee with me and Tatum, maybe a few other people, and celebrate?" Ryan asked. Val instantly felt her face flush with pleasure.

"Ryan, that's so thoughtful. Yes, I would love that. You and Tatum are really the only people I have met thus far in Willow Creek. It will be great to meet some other people and see a bit of Windenburg." Val responded.

"Awesome. Meet us at our place in an hour then? You can ride with us." Val agreed and hung up the phone.

After fixing her hair and putting on her favorite sweater, Val met Ryan and Tatum at their place. She was pleasantly surprised to learn that one of their other roommates was coming too, Selina. She immediately made Val feel at home, and Val liked the sassy attitude she had with Ryan and Tatum. She held her own.

"So, Val, any family? Any cute brothers?" Selina asked salaciously as they walked in to the cafe.

b6ISzJv.png

"No, unfortunately not! I am an only child." Val laughed.

"Plum - oh well." The group laughed at Selina's obvious disappointmet.

After ordering a vanilla latte, mouth watering, Val and the group sat at tables, chatting about the weather, sports, their weeks, and general discussion with a few other people at the cafe.

mi6T29r.png

Ryan and Tatum were happy to see Val visibly become more comfortable with them, more relaxed. They both liked her quite a bit, and it was no secret in their house that they were both becoming interested in getting to know her better. They chose not to discuss it between the two of them, deciding to let Val decide for herself who she might be interested in.

"So, Val, you're coming with us to the jokes and pranks festival, right?" Tatum asked.

"Jokes and pranks festival? Is that, uh...a joke?" Val was at a loss for words.

Tatum snickered. "Nah, it really is a festival. You drink some colored juice to join a certain team, then you either tell jokes all night or play pranks to earn points for your team. The winning team gets cash and prizes!" The group all nodded their heads.

"It's really fun, V, you should come with us." Ryan encouraged. Everyone murmured their agreement.

"Well, do I have any choice?" Val joked. Only Selina answered with a somewhat serious face.

"Nope - you don't. Besides, they haven't mentioned the most important reason for going!" Selina's eyes began to gleam, and the guys rolled their eyes.

"Dare I ask?" Valerie responded.

"Ignore her, V, she's out to snag a guy. We feel bad for him." Ryan laughed as Selina swatted his arm.

"Shut up, Ryan! It's not my fault if there are some seriously hot guys who are planning to attend." Val just shook her head and laughed with the rest of the group. Selina turned back to her.

"But seriously, babe, the hottie hunt will be in full swing. You have to come, don't make me go solo!" Selina pushed out her bottom lip in an adorable pout and Tatum groaned.

"How could I refuse such an offer?" Val said, grinning. Selina whispered "Yesssss" and held out her hand as they bumped fists.

"That's right, sisters before the misters." The group laughed as they got up to leave. In truth, Val couldn't wait to go, and if she was being honest with herself, she wouldn't mind meeting a few "hotties". She glanced at Ryan and Tatum, who were relaxed, but watching her.

Yep, she thought. This should be an interesting weekend, all right.

Author's Note: Sorry for the lack of pictures for this chapter. I didn't really take that many of her at the cafe, but she ended up having a lot of fun with Selina, Ryan, and Tatum (I somehow didn't get any pics of Ryan, or Tatum!), so I wanted to share that before moving on to the jokes and pranks festival. Thanks for reading!

• GirlSimmer29GirlSimmer29 Posts: 52 Member
    Wow, I love this legacy! I think it's really creative and the Sim is so beautiful! :)
    I don't have a signature. Oh wait...
    @GirlSimmer29 Thank you! I'm really enjoying sharing Val's story, I'm glad you are enjoying it too. Thanks for taking the time to comment!
    Not gunna lie definitely see her with Ryan lol or *gasp* a mystery man and or woman!
    Ahh, I'm seriously loving this! I can't get enough. Val is beautiful, I can see why she has two guys competing for her. My guess is that she'll end up with Tatum- if someone else doesn't come along, that is! Can't wait for the next update. :blush:
    edited January 2017
    Not gunna lie definitely see her with Ryan lol or *gasp* a mystery man and or woman!

I won't tell! But Ryan is super cute, and Val thinks so too! :smile:
    Ahh, I'm seriously loving this! I can't get enough. Val is beautiful, I can see why she has two guys competing for her. My guess is that she'll end up with Tatum- if someone else doesn't come along, that is! Can't wait for the next update. :blush:

Thank you so much! Tatum is certainly a possibility, Val is definitely drawn to him! I will say this - the guy she ends up marrying is in the next episode!