Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vegetarian meals should be cooked by vegans, not by all

I'm glad you guys put in a vegetarian trait for meals, but having so many vegan choices without them being blocked for meat eaters the same way meat choices are blocked for vegans is really annoying. In other words, why is it that vegans seem to be able to go to the fridge and autonomously choose tofu tacos, but regular meat eating sims can't autonomously choose regular ones? I'm sick of my sim always choosing to cook tofu dogs, faux blts, etc when he's not a vegan. And it makes having a butler less useful as well, since there's no option to choose meal types for him to cook. If you guys are so big on making the game playable for all types of people, how about some love for the average Joes and Jills?

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited December 2016
    Hm. I eat meat only a few days a week and eat a vegetarian diet the other days. I'm not seeing the issue with Sims cooking sometimes with, sometimes without meat if I let them cook without direction? I'm curious about how it affects how you experience the game during gameplay.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I haven't noticed the same thing. All my sims other than vegetarians choose to cook food with meat sometimes. I think the choice is just random. I haven't seen any pattern in my own game anyway.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited December 2016
    Hm. I eat meat only a few days a week and eat a vegetarian diet the other days. I'm not seeing the issue with Sims cooking sometimes with, sometimes without meat if I let them cook without direction? I'm curious about how it affects how you experience the game during gameplay.

How many times in my life have I had a tofu hot dog? A faux BLT? There's even a fake lobster recipe, though I don't remember what it's called. But the answer is zero. If he's my sim me, which is how I suspect many simmers play, then he should be autonomously able to eat like me, when vegetarians can have a sim who autonomously eats like them. There's a big difference between eating something without meat one day (which you're calling a vegetarian diet), say a grilled cheese, meatless pasta, or a salad, and choosing to eat something that uses a meat substitute. I didn't say "please set it up so my sim only eats meat". It should be set up so vegetarian sims eat like vegetarians, and non-vegetarians eat like non-vegetarians. And eating meat substitutes isn't a part of an average non-vegetarian person's diet.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    Candyd wrote: »
    I haven't noticed the same thing. All my sims other than vegetarians choose to cook food with meat sometimes. I think the choice is just random. I haven't seen any pattern in my own game anyway.

Yeah, but that's what I said. Veggie sims don't choose to eat meat, but non-veggie sims choose to eat meat substitute meals. It IS random, but only for non-vegetarian sims. If it can be set one way, it can be set both ways.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I wouldn't let it bother you, the dishes look exactly the same so just pretend your tofu dog is a hot dog. Which is what it is in reality. That tofu dog is really a hot dog, only the name has been changed to make vegetarians feel included.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't let it bother you, the dishes look exactly the same so just pretend your tofu dog is a hot dog. Which is what it is in reality. That tofu dog is really a hot dog, only the name has been changed to make vegetarians feel included.

Lol. Yes, I've tried to look at it that way. It shouldn't really matter, as you said. But my sim goes to the kitchen to cook, and I'm always too curious what he's chosen to make. Then my ocd gets irritated when it finds he's making tofu cyber dogs instead of pig/cow/turkey/rat parts cyber dogs, and rails at the unfairness of a cyber world where there are lines of code keeping cyber vegetarian's lips from touching cyber meat when my sim's cyber lips are once again touching cyber tofu. Or worse.

And I've tried looking at the recipes as; Veggie burgers, meat patties with green peppers and onions or such. Tofu dogs, meat dogs with tofu enhanced sauerkraut. But it all break down at faux BLTs; what, it's spelled wrong, and it's fox BLTs? No thank you. And fake fish tacos really get me plummed since I'd rather be eating beef ones to begin with.
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    Well, you know, in a way it's also upsetting for some vegetarians themselves that there is tofu everywhere in those recipes. Not all vegetarians like and eat those things. It looks more like a bland no cholesterol diet than truly balanced and diverse vegetarian dishes :s
    There may be plenty of recipes but I find that they aren't always very creative.
  • Options
    lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    edited December 2016
    Well, i don't see where the problem is. It might be because even if i eat meat, i do eat tofu and other vegetarian meal because i find it tasty. Maybe they should ad a carnivore trait ?
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    Well, you know, in a way it's also upsetting for some vegetarians themselves that there is tofu everywhere in those recipes. Not all vegetarians like and eat those things.
    Yep, I personally cannot stand tofu anything. It is the most gross substance on Earth :s But I can see why EA did it this way - very, very easy to add the trait to the game and add additional names for existing dishes without having to create any new dishes especially for vegetarians.

They've gotta draw the line somewhere. Next thing, people will be asking them to add vegan, fruitarian, gluten free etc.

With regard to sims autonomous cooking choices; easy answer is don't let them. My sims always cook what I tell them to or don't cook at all ;) I am the sim god and my sims do as they are told.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited December 2016
    Vegetarian Sims get sick if they eat food with meat. I'm sure that the default of Sims autonomously making those kinds of meals is to help avoid that. Non-vegetarians aren't bothered either way.

Just because I like a hamburger once in awhile doesn't mean I won't have a salad sometimes, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Been looking at the coding for cooking and get the feeling a regular sim can choose to cook meals off of either of two files, while the vegetarian can only choose the veggie one. Typical.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Well, i don't see where the problem is. It might be because even if i eat meat, i do eat tofu and other vegetarian meal because i find it tasty. Maybe they should ad a carnivore trait ?
    Was thinking along similar lines. How about a Carnivore trait that makes the sim Angry if they eat vegetarian food? Seems like it'd fit, as the thing with people who dislike vegeterian foods seems to be a kind of irritation at eating such "weird" foods.

I'd say it's no more wacky than the vegeterian trait giving your sim an Uncomfortable moodlet if they eat meat.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    MemetasticMemetastic Posts: 16 New Member
    The only conclusion I can make is that some vegetarians in real life get nauseous from looking or touching meat, so in that sense I can kind of see why meat foods would be blocked from vegans/vegetarians from making them.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    I'm glad you guys put in a vegetarian trait for meals, but having so many vegan choices without them being blocked for meat eaters the same way meat choices are blocked for vegans is really annoying. In other words, why is it that vegans seem to be able to go to the fridge and autonomously choose tofu tacos, but regular meat eating sims can't autonomously choose regular ones? I'm sick of my sim always choosing to cook tofu dogs, faux blts, etc when he's not a vegan. And it makes having a butler less useful as well, since there's no option to choose meal types for him to cook. If you guys are so big on making the game playable for all types of people, how about some love for the average Joes and Jills?

Amen.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Disagree.
    I have a Vegetarian teenager, and her parents are the ones who cook the meals. They're not veggo themselves, so if veggie meals were locked behind the trait, the teen would have to make all her own meals.

That's not realistic, and it'd be incredibly time-consuming to have two sets of meals being made.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited December 2016
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Disagree.
    I have a Vegetarian teenager, and her parents are the ones who cook the meals. They're not veggo themselves, so if veggie meals were locked behind the trait, the teen would have to make all her own meals.

That's not realistic, and it'd be incredibly time-consuming to have two sets of meals being made.

Not only that but a old vegetarian child couldn't cook for themselves. Also in rl meat eaters still eat veggie meals all the time and might even eat meals that are completely meat free.

Post edited by 06Bon06 on
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Disagree.

Not only that but a old vegetarian couldn't cook for themselves. Also in rl meat eaters still eat veggie meals all the time and might even eat meals that are completely meat free.

Indeed. I love hamburgers, but I also love the veggieburgers my wife makes.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Do they even have vegan sims? I think it's just omnivores and vegetarians. Or are the vegetarian sims in fact vegans? Will they eat macaroni cheese?
  • Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Do they even have vegan sims? I think it's just omnivores and vegetarians. Or are the vegetarian sims in fact vegans? Will they eat macaroni cheese?

They do. Only vegetarian and omni votes exits in game. Idk why up keeps referring to vegan sims.
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    I use the vegetarian trait on Aliens, simplant and faeryes. I like to think of Aliens as allergic to meat proteins from earth, and faeryes and simplant being one with nature, eat only from its fruit. (in the sims3)
    But I think non veg sims should not make automously veg good, if is not in their preference, Like in the sims3, even a non vegetarian sim can love a tofu based food.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Disagree.

Not really. It's not like they already autonomously make veggie meals just because their child is a vegetarian, so unless you're directing the parent to always make veggie meals, which I'm not saying should be removed at all from the pie menu dialog or known recipes list, the teen would still have to cook a veggie meal when their parents autonomously grill regular hamburgers. I'm not saying the meals should be locked behind the trait to the point they can't make them at all; I'm only saying the tofu, faux this and that should only autonomously be made by vegetarian sims. It's been my experience that unless the parent has the family trait, they're not usually going to make anything but single meals for the most part anyway, so you have to direct them to make the bigger meals, which could just as easily be veggie based if that was what you wanted.

After all the posting here on this thread, I still haven't seen anyone say "I'm a meat eater and I make tofu hot dogs all the time". Yes, if your wife cooks veggie burgers you eat them, and you may choose to make them because your spouse or child is a vegetarian. So if a sim walks into the kitchen and there's a plate of veggie burgers there, they will probably grab one, which is fine, which is the same thing. But there ain't a heck of a lot of meat eaters that prefer or choose to cook a non-meat version of a usually meat based food (although granted, veggie burgers can be good).

So for the last time, and based on everything that everyone has posted here, I still see no good reason or argument that non-vegetarian sims should AUTONOMOUSLY (and I'm only talking autonomously and not when directed; you want your non veggie sim to make a tofu dog, go for it) make the fake meat version of meals, and I'm ONLY talking about THOSE meals. Which also has nothing to do with pasta, salads, or any other already non-meat anything. or telling your sim parent to make your veggie included family tofu dogs, OR whether or not a sim would eat an already cooked veggie based meal.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

They do. Only vegetarian and omni votes exits in game. Idk why up keeps referring to vegan sims.

Because it's simple. Though the trait itself is called vegetarian, I'm sure it's basically there more or less to appease both vegetarians and vegans as well as it can, so it hardly matters which term is used.
  • Options

Because it's simple. Though the trait itself is called vegetarian, I'm sure it's basically there more or less to appease both vegetarians and vegans as well as it can, so it hardly matters which term is used.
    It does. It is very far from being vegan so it matters. A vegan sim can't eat cheese for instance so no it is a vegetarian trait not vegan.
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    I kill and eat my own deer and bear every year, but I still enjoy vegetarian food from time to time. There's no reason normal sims shouldn't be able to cook vegetarian meals.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member

Lol. Yes, I've tried to look at it that way. It shouldn't really matter, as you said. But my sim goes to the kitchen to cook, and I'm always too curious what he's chosen to make. Then my ocd gets irritated when it finds he's making tofu plum dogs instead of pig/cow/turkey/rat parts plum dogs, and rails at the unfairness of a plum world where there are lines of code keeping plum vegetarian's lips from touching plum meat when my sim's plum lips are once again touching plum tofu. Or worse.

And I've tried looking at the recipes as; Veggie burgers, meat patties with green peppers and onions or such. Tofu dogs, meat dogs with tofu enhanced sauerkraut. But it all break down at faux BLTs; what, it's spelled wrong, and it's fox BLTs? No thank you. And fake fish tacos really get me plummed since I'd rather be eating beef ones to begin with.

Someone needs to make a post-apocalyptic mod that includes ratburgers. The Demolition Man and the ever-dwindling populace on 'Threads' would fit right in.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/