Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SIMS 4 TOOK A STEP DOWN... THEY PUSHED IT OUT TOO SOON

Comments

• Options
    FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member
    I went from Sims 1 to Sims 4, skipping 2 & 3. I miss a lot of the options in 1, even! Like changing terrain, some of the stairs and windows, maids and gardeners that actually came to the house. A lot has gone missing with the "advances". I was happy in Sims 1 but it was no longer viable on windows 10.
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I want to be into the sims 4 like I was with 2 when it first came out. I wish they would have put the awesome qualites from 2 and 3 to make 4. I missing a lot if the sims interactions.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    mzbabiface09mzbabiface09 Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="Sk8rblaze;c-15308090"][quote="Veola2013;903172"]
    These reasons are why I say Sims 4 shouldn't be called Sims 4 it really should be called Sims 2...because it took a major step down as far as game play/and the plum loading screen for everything.[/quote]

I don't know, TS2 was amazingly advanced for its time, even now.[/quote]

I absolutely agree in the Sims 2 and 3 when creating a Sim you could give your Sim streaks on her hair no matter the style, you could edit the patterns of the furniture to make it your own so that all your Sims dont end up with the same furniture, you could teach your teens to drive, and when your Sims got pregnant she would rummage through the refrigerator while cooking and burning everything. These were my favorite features because they're so realistic and now they're gone
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I think they have had 3 tries on the Sims Franchise and they should be able to do things in a snap and they should get it right most of the stuff in the game is pretty much what they had in Sims3 at least. Maybe they should stop getting rid of people who worked on the game previously the new people don't seem to know what to do.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    candy8 wrote: »
    I think they have had 3 tries on the Sims Franchise and they should be able to do things in a snap and they should get it right most of the stuff in the game is pretty much what they had in Sims3 at least. Maybe they should stop getting rid of people who worked on the game previously the new people don't seem to know what to do.

And hire people who'll ACTUALLY play the game. It genuinely feels like half of them don't even play it and the whole thing is just an act for a paycheck for them. Like Guru Graham and his many lies. He'll say one thing on the forums, then say another thing somewhere else on the eeeexact same forum not being smart enough to know that people can just, I dunno, go look hahahahahahaha And don't you dare point it out to him either. There's no words for how special some of them are. If they actually played it regularly they'd know how terrible it is.

I talk to people who watch their live streams when they show things off and whatever which I don't have time for, and they tell me the game will crash and they act like nothing happened hahahahaha And if they played it regularly they'd care about things like that.

My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    RickyPhamRickyPham Posts: 44 Member
    I've never understood why the Sims 4 came out like it did. Everyone knew it wasn't ready, so why push it? Rockstar Games didn't push their titles, they delay them all the time, but when they come out, they come out perfect. I guess EA will never have that mindset. We'll just have to see with Sims 5.
    xYktTRa.png
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    RickyPham wrote: »
    I've never understood why the Sims 4 came out like it did. Everyone knew it wasn't ready, so why push it? Rockstar Games didn't push their titles, they delay them all the time, but when they come out, they come out perfect. I guess EA will never have that mindset. We'll just have to see with Sims 5.
    EA has never pushed out any game either. The farthest EA has gone was likely with Spore which was postponed a couple of years because Will Wright wanted several postponement. But in the end EA didn't want to play the postponement game any longer but forced him to finish the game. He didn't like this though. So he left EA after the game release.

Sims 4 was ready because it was finished just as it was planned. Some people just don't understand that because they wanted a bigger game than TS3 and forgot how hard it was for our computers just to run TS3. So people just thought that TS4 should have been TS3 in even bigger open worlds with the demanding multitasking added such that almost no computers would have been able to run the game. But EA was wiser and knew that such a game would have been a disaster because most of us wouldn't have been able to run it.

So we can criticize EA for adding the demanding multitasking and not just releasing the Sims 3 basegame once more. But EA didn't believe that we would have bought almost the same basegame again and EA also didn't want TS4 to be as demanding as TS3 had been such that a lot of EPs still wouldn't be possible to make. Therefore EA chose to add the multitasking but also to omit the open world. (I know that people don't want to believe that but instead assume that TS4 originally was planned as an online Olympus game with simplified gameplay and graphics as some PC version of the Sims Freeplay. But I don't believe this for a minute.)
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited July 2017
    But Erpe aren't you also just "assuming" that your explanation is correct, until they tell us either way it could be as planned or a rehash of a failed online/multi platform game. I mean even with S3 being advanced it was still a mega selling game plus also it's odd that a planned release tells you they are still going to have to include base objects weeks after they launched the game, even adding a another life stage 2 years later. Doesn't sound planned to me lol
  • Options
    But Erpe aren't you also just "assuming" that your explanation is correct, until they tell us either way it could be as planned or a rehash of a failed online/multi platform game.
    If you really believe that you can become the biggest game company in the world and survive as almost the only company among those who started at the same time (now 35 yrs ago) that still exist just by luck and making unintelligent decisions then I probably can't convince you. But I don't think that such things happen just by luck. Microprose and 3do were about the biggest and most popular game companies in the world. Why didn't they survive while EA did and just kept growing? Just by luck??!?
    I mean even with S3 being advanced it was still a mega selling game plus also it's odd that a planned release tells you they are still going to have to include base objects weeks after they launched the game, even adding a another life stage 2 years later. Doesn't sound planned to me lol
    EA knows that it will release GPs and EPs later. So the basegame should contain much more than the basic gameplay.

But you are likely talking about toddlers which I don't think EA planned to include in TS4 at all. You may think that toddlers were base objects because you likely just liked TS3 and thought that EA just should have released expansions for TS3 forever. Simmers have always thought that way and never wanted EA to release a new basegame. So when EA releases a new basegame anyway then most simmers just wait for all the same things to be added again such that the new game can be the same game as the previous one with a little more content.

But this has never been EA's way of thinking. Instead EA want to make every new game into a new game with a different focus. People already have the previous game. So why should EA just make the previous game once more?

Instead EA wants to be creative and make different kinds of Sims games. TS4 was planned to focus less on raising kids and more on other things. Therefore babies and teens were simplified and toddlers even omitted. The game was planned to focus on multitasking and new emotions. But toddlers usually don't multitask in the real world either. Besides that the main group of customers for Sims games almost certainly is young teens who want to become as high as adults and party instead of being babysitters or already get pregnant or have children. So EA's idea completely makes sense. Just not for the many adult veteran simmers in this forum who only wanted TS4 to turn into TS3 instead.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Erpe wrote: »
    But Erpe aren't you also just "assuming" that your explanation is correct, until they tell us either way it could be as planned or a rehash of a failed online/multi platform game.
    If you really believe that you can become the biggest game company in the world and survive as almost the only company among those who started at the same time (now 35 yrs ago) that still exist just by luck and making unintelligent decisions then I probably can't convince you. But I don't think that such things happen just by luck. Microprose and 3do were about the biggest and most popular game companies in the world. Why didn't they survive while EA did and just kept growing? Just by luck??!?
    I mean even with S3 being advanced it was still a mega selling game plus also it's odd that a planned release tells you they are still going to have to include base objects weeks after they launched the game, even adding a another life stage 2 years later. Doesn't sound planned to me lol
    EA knows that it will release GPs and EPs later. So the basegame should contain much more than the basic gameplay.

But you are likely talking about toddlers which I don't think EA planned to include in TS4 at all. You may think that toddlers were base objects because you likely just liked TS3 and thought that EA just should have released expansions for TS3 forever. Simmers have always thought that way and never wanted EA to release a new basegame. So when EA releases a new basegame anyway then most simmers just wait for all the same things to be added again such that the new game can be the same game as the previous one with a little more content.

But this has never been EA's way of thinking. Instead EA want to make every new game into a new game with a different focus. People already have the previous game. So why should EA just make the previous game once more?

Instead EA wants to be creative and make different kinds of Sims games. TS4 was planned to focus less on raising kids and more on other things. Therefore babies and teens were simplified and toddlers even omitted. The game was planned to focus on multitasking and new emotions. But toddlers usually don't multitask in the real world either. Besides that the main group of customers for Sims games almost certainly is young teens who want to become as high as adults and party instead of being babysitters or already get pregnant or have children. So EA's idea completely makes sense. Just not for the many adult veteran simmers in this forum who only wanted TS4 to turn into TS3 instead.

That's like saying we wanted Sims 3 to be like Sims 2 and Sims 1 because we loved them. Despite loving them, many stiiiill loved Sims 3. Because it did what we expect games to do. Be bigger and at least you could have a decent argument for being better versions of what they were. It was similar, but not the same.
    Sims 1 didn't have all the bells and whistles, the babies couldn't even age up, and it was still better than TS4. I still reminisce about that game years later in a way I and hardly anybody else ever will about TS4.

There's a huge difference between trying something a little different and making a well loved product unrecognizable and unrelatable and completely lacking in content for both players and builders. Most people recognize nothing is going to be exactly like the version before it. But things are supposed to progress and advance, not get worse. People joke that this should be called Sims 2 cause its like stepping backward, but it should be called Sims .5 because even Sims 1 had more substance to it and calling it Sims 2 is just an insult to a game that was actually good.

People expect companies to take what worked before and what didn't work before and incorporate that with the new things they want to do, not totally demolish the whole thing. And not only did they demolish the whole thing to try these new things but half of them don't work. The multi tasking thing that they scrapped half of everything to focus on is exactly why half the forums are now complaining it takes forever to get a sim to do something. The so-called "emotional depth" is really just a more in-your-face form of Sims 3's moodlet system that, if it took up so much of their time they had to ditch everything else, that's just super sad. And lets not pretend they didn't spend most of their development time on planning out how they were going to squeeze out money through their new business model and how best to keep it tied to Origin.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »

That's like saying we wanted Sims 3 to be like Sims 2 and Sims 1 because we loved them.
    Correct. I began in the Sims 2 forum where a lot of simmers hated that TS2 had been released because they wanted more EPs for TS1 instead. Later EA announced TS3 and people hated it because they wanted more EPs for TS2 instead.
    Despite loving them, many stiiiill loved Sims 3.
    Yes. The new thing is that there still are a lot of Sims 3 discussions even now almost 3 yrs after the release of TS4 and that EA still is selling the previous game. This didn't happen before because it only took a few months before TS1 lovers surrendered and either left the Sims 2 forum or switched to TS2 anyway. And TS2 wasn't sold or discussed nearly as much in the Sims 3 forum either after just a few months. It is only now that people discuss TS2 more in the Sims 4 forum than they ever did in the Sims 3 forum ;)
    Because it did what we expect games to do. Be bigger and at least you could have a decent argument for being better versions of what they were. It was similar, but not the same.
    Yes. Hardcore fans of a game always want that. But it is almost impossible for a game company to just go on making the same game again and again in just bigger, nicer and more impressive versions. Therefore they often change the game instead which hardcore fans never have liked. The result often has been that the game companies put the series on hold and then only years later make new changed versions of the games anyway.
    Sims 1 didn't have all the bells and whistles, the babies couldn't even age up, and it was still better than TS4. I still reminisce about that game years later in a way I and hardly anybody else ever will about TS4.
    I tried TS1 after having played TS2. But I didn't really like TS1. It was harder yes. But in a for me wrong way that I mostly found tiring to play.
    There's a huge difference between trying something a little different and making a well loved product unrecognizable and unrelatable and completely lacking in content for both players and builders. Most people recognize nothing is going to be exactly like the version before it. But things are supposed to progress and advance, not get worse. People joke that this should be called Sims 2 cause its like stepping backward, but it should be called Sims .5 because even Sims 1 had more substance to it and calling it Sims 2 is just an insult to a game that was actually good.
    I have seen this in other game series too. An example is the Might&Magic series which topped with MM6. MM7 was similar though. But the added complexity didn't anything good for the series. Then MM8 was a step backward and MM9 was nothing but a disaster that destroyed the series. Years later MM10 was released and I think that it was better than MM9 but without in anyway restoring the original Might&Magic series which therefore now has been completely dead for many years.
    People expect companies to take what worked before and what didn't work before and incorporate that with the new things they want to do, not totally demolish the whole thing. And not only did they demolish the whole thing to try these new things but half of them don't work. The multi tasking thing that they scrapped half of everything to focus on is exactly why half the forums are now complaining it takes forever to get a sim to do something. And lets not pretend they didn't spend most of their development time on planning out how they were going to squeeze out money through their new business model and how best to keep it tied to Origin.
    Of course the game companies mainly make games to earn money. But they can't do that by just making the same game again and again in improved and bigger versions because this can only work in a limited number of years. Then they have to change the game and hope that they that way can invent a new and equally popular game. Sometimes this work. But in many cases people don't like the changed game and the game company has to let the series die instead.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited July 2017
    No I've liked every single game except 4. Why should EA just make a similar game as before? well simcity 2013 shows that simplifying instead of upgrading a game can end in potential lost profits (it was doomed even without the servers crashes). EA survived because it purchased every gaming company until it had a monopoly on the industry where they could just release a product sub standard and with little competition they would still get some sales. But I give you credit for not mentioning 12-15 year olds in a response :P GTA has made a success in vastly improving each new game for years GTA5 still is reeling in cash loads of profit
  • Options
    No I've liked every single game except 4. Why should EA just make a similar game as before? well simcity 2013 shows that simplifying instead of upgrading a game can end in potential lost profits (it was doomed even without the servers crashes). EA survived because it purchased every gaming company until it had a monopoly on the industry where they could just release a product sub standard and with little competition they would still get some sales. But I give you credit for not mentioning 12-15 year olds in a response :P GTA has made a success in vastly improving each new game for years GTA5 still is reeling in cash loads of profit
    Then why didn't the other huge game companies from the 1980s and 1990s survive?

From the Wikipedia article about Microprose:
    "By 1987, Computer Gaming World considered MicroProse as one of the top five computer game companies, alongside Activision, Electronic Arts and Epyx. "

EA and Activision are the only of those companies who survived. But Microprose was clearly the biggest company.

EA started as a pure publisher in 1982 but didn't develop its own games before the 1990s.

About all other game companies instead started as game studios by people who just wanted to make new games. But EA was instead started by Trip Hawkins who was a businessman.

Activision was started by 4 programmers who left Atari in the days where games only were developed by the company that made the hardware platform for the games. But even though Activision still exists as Activation Blizzard it has changed owners several times and merged with other game companies like Vivendi and Blizzard.

But EA is still the most stabil and strong game company in the world.

I don't think that SimCity 2013 really was that much of a disaster even though you don't like it. SimCity BuildIt also seems to be quite popular. But I have never been a huge fan of the SimCity games even though I think that I have tried almost all of them since Maxis released the first SimCity many years before EA bought Maxis. But once again: SimCity 2013 was a changed game and fans of the old games as usual didn't want their game changed.

TS4 isn't for me because I am not a young teen who needs a game for my first experiments with dating and romance. But his doesn't mean that TS4 isn't a success for EA and has high sales numbers to the young teens who the game is intended for.
  • Options
    FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member

I just want my Sims to stop walking straight through all of the furnishings and each other!!!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    citybound wrote: »
    Veola2013 wrote: »
    MARRYING A SIM/DIVORCING A SIM
    How come last names don't change or at least have an option to change your last name to your mates? Where is the option to move out or purchase another home like Sims 3? My sims divorced her husband and he couldn't move out on his own. This was very unrealistic...there used to be options for moving a sim out.

I'm not entirely sure about the whole changing last names thing since I haven't married any of my couples yet, but I think the "Not Changing Surnames" also caters to same-sex couples, perhaps?

You can take them back into CAS and change their names with testingcheats and edit sim. Moving out has to be done from the map.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited August 2017
    Ts4 might not be so bad if the first three iterations of the franchise over these many, long years weren't so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 immersive and groundbreaking. If I had no other sims games to reflect upon and compare, ts4 might entertain me for a few moments longer than it currently does.

Sadly, I don't expect much of interest to me from this franchise anymore. I mainly check in now and again to see if there's any news about ts5. I do wonder about the longevity of their new base they're catering to, and for whom they're putting all their eggs into one tiny, shallow basket.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    If...Big IF.... they bother to make a sims 5, they need to make it with Higher Computer specs. So many other games have surpassed what "the Sims" is capable of, because EA/Maxis are constantly backtracking, making the sims compatible for older operating systems with low specs.

If they take the best of TS2, and the best of TS3, combine them with incredible graphics available today and in the future....People would buy better computers or upgrade just to play this game. They know what we want...It's all over the forum. That team cannot say they didn't know what the simmers wanted...because however you choose to play this game...people have suggested, made specific topics and threads begging for what they want.

But as @Bagoas77 said.... I too don't expect much from this franchise anymore. They have had 3 or more years to fix their own mistake with TS4, and it's very clear that EA/Maxis doesn't care and is not going to do anything about it.

If the sims continues on as a mobile app, Xbox...etc type of game... then so be it. In the big scheme of things, I'm sure die hard players are not going to lose any sleep over it.

All we can hope for, is that another company will come forward and revitalize the game and make The Sims a truly worthy playable game. :|
  • Options
    ko0meko0me Posts: 10 New Member
    Considering this topic took place in 2016; I'm curious to know how you all feel about the game now after all the free updates (the biggest being toddlers,) and the Cats & Dogs expansion pack (Which I know was also a very big desire in the community.)

When I first started playing the Sims 4 I was honestly just as disappointed, and I actually left the game for months to a year (I think the last time I played was around 2015... actually..). I just came back on the day of the release of Cats & Dogs, bought a couple of expansions and stuff packs during the sale... and I honestly have to say that with all the necessary changes and updates this game has gone through since I've been gone, it has been sooo much more enjoyable for me.
    I've recently been playing almost every day since I started again, for at least a little bit, and I'm enjoying it much more than I did when it first came out.

Though this could also be a reason because of a mindset change within me, or maybe it's because of all of the packs I bought that adds in that little spark of interest. But either way, I am enjoying myself and I'm looking at the game in a much more positive way.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    ko0me wrote: »
    Considering this topic took place in 2016; I'm curious to know how you all feel about the game now after all the free updates (the biggest being toddlers,) and the Cats & Dogs expansion pack (Which I know was also a very big desire in the community.)

When I first started playing the Sims 4 I was honestly just as disappointed, and I actually left the game for months to a year (I think the last time I played was around 2015... actually..). I just came back on the day of the release of Cats & Dogs, bought a couple of expansions and stuff packs during the sale... and I honestly have to say that with all the necessary changes and updates this game has gone through since I've been gone, it has been sooo much more enjoyable for me.
    I've recently been playing almost every day since I started again, for at least a little bit, and I'm enjoying it much more than I did when it first came out.

Though this could also be a reason because of a mindset change within me, or maybe it's because of all of the packs I bought that adds in that little spark of interest. But either way, I am enjoying myself and I'm looking at the game in a much more positive way.

I uninstalled it and have no desire to play it again. Cats and Dogs aren’t enough to entice me to come back. Never cared for pets.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    I never cared for pets either and also not really for toddlers. I am a story teller who makes my own stories while I play. But this means that I need to be in control and not being annoyed by long waiting or my Sims doesn’t something else instead of what I am telling them to do. Therefore TS4 isn’t the Sims game for me and it won’t ever be.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    ko0me wrote: »

Sims 4 was bad at launch, it’s gotten a little better but will always be dragging behind due to their slow release schedule and their overall lack of desire to improve areas of the game outside of CAS.

Cats & Dogs (IMO) wasn’t even that good. For a pack that’s supposedly focused on cats and dogs neither one got a decent amount of content or gameplay. The most engaging part of the whole thing is the Vet, which is a Sim business that only minimally involves either cats or dogs. Literally cats and dogs have about as big a role in the Vet as customers do in the Dine Out game pack. (Minimal) The whole C&D EP feels like a game pack because of the lack of new stuff for the main focus of the pack, and the lack of functionality for pets in general. Sims 4 will never get to the level that I feel it should be. Probably because they want to treat this game like it isn’t a direct continuation of Sims 3, but still want to put that 4 in the title to make sure people associate the two games. Sims 4 is good if you get everything with a hefty discount, but for full price falls way short of being worth it or good.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Yeah, TS4 is going downhill, pun intended.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    ko0meko0me Posts: 10 New Member
    I see where you guys are coming from. Although I do still enjoy it, I'm also on the boat of the Cats & Dogs not being that impressive, ESPECIALLY the Sims 4 version.

In general, as I said it doesn't seem as bad as it was before to me, very relaxing and a fun thing to lose myself in after work; especially since I'm already hooked on my Sims by this point.

But yeah, one of my biggest quelms is that Bowling pack. It's a perfect example of how lacking these packs can be. The bowling itself is so lifeless and not involved what so ever, luckily I got it in a bundle with City Living and Dine Out (two games I actually wanted) so I am very happy I didn't end up buying it on its own, because I would have seethed lol
  • Options
    SultanCanAliSultanCanAli Posts: 113 Member
    Even sims 3 stuff packs had more content than sims 4 stuff!
    The Next:
    Dining room stuff
    Playtime stuff
    Nursery stuff
    Bubble bath day stuff
    Pretty park stuff
    Mansion stuff
    Camping stuff
    Pets stuff
    Gleaming garden stuff
    Grannys kitchen stuff
    Hair salon stuff
    Living room stuff
    Garage stuff
    Work day stuff
    Pool day stuff
    Farm stuff
    Vintage farm stuff
    Modern stuff
    Computer stuff
    Study day stuff
    Sunny day stuff
    Backyard play date stuff
    Play date stuff
    Home living stuff
    Family stuff
  • Options
    SultanCanAliSultanCanAli Posts: 113 Member
    So many worth it cool stuff wow (sarcastic)