Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What specs do I need to run the Sims 3?

Currently, I'm on a laptop. It's good enough to run Sims 4 at ultra settings with tons of CC just fine. I want to get a gaming desktop, though. My sole focus isn't to be able to run TS3 with as little lag as possible, but I do want to take that into consideration when shopping for a PC/parts. So, what specs are good for TS3?

(Bear in mind that I am a techno-🐸🐸🐸🐸 and I don't actually know much of anything about computers.)

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited October 2016
    What is your country and budget? What eps are you playing or is it the whole game your playing?

If your not knowledgeable about computers I would not attempt to build one. A mistake can be costly. Gaming hardware is expensive
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm more of a software than a hardware person, but in case it helps with understanding at all, these are the components that enter into the formula:

Processor
    RAM
    Graphics Card
    Drive Space (and quality, SSD vs. HDD)
    Overall System Health

I'm being really vague about those instead of listing hard minimums because such a list would be impossible. Some combinations tend to work well together, others do not. For already existing systems, there are power supply and cooling issues to account for with different sets of hardware. People tend to want to use their computers for other things in addition to playing TS3 and we all play the game differently and potentially with different sets of EPs.

I can recognize a good (or mediocre, bad) combination of specs on an already assembled machine, but would never attempt to upgrade components or build my own. I tried to upgrade a graphics card once by banging on the case with a screwdriver like our sims do, but that didn't work out so well. :p

The parts and custom build combo recommendations are really better left to those who know what they are doing. Given a country, budget, and intended usage pattern to work with, those such as @phoebebebe13, chesterbigbird (whom I'm not paging since we haven't seen the requirements and cost constraints yet), and a few others here, can work miracles coming up with a proper set of recommendations. Or some for pre-builds, since those while less flexible are easier to cope with generally.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    What is your country and budget? What eps are you playing or is it the whole game your playing?

If your not knowledgeable about computers I would not attempt to build one. A mistake can be costly. Gaming hardware is expensive

I'm in the U.S. and I can go up to $1000.
  • Options
    Ill post you some off the shelf computers. Is a new monitor included in your price of $1000 or you already have one?

I will also have @chesterbigbird do a custom configuration for you when she gets on the forum and you can decide which way to go. Custom is always better however it can be more expensive

Newegg Charges no tax outside CA, TN and NJ

This is without a monitor. $1,029 . This has a new Nvidia GTX 1060 , 120 gb ssd plus 2tb hard drive .This has a very small ssd C drive for windows. You would have to put the game on the second hard drive or a 3rd hard drive if you decided to add another SSD just for this game. This game does load a lot quicker on SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230149&cm_re=gtx_1060_desktop-_-83-230-149-_-Product

This is $759.99. Has a GTX 960 , 120 gb SSD plus a 1tb hard drive. You would also have to install the game on the second hard drive but this would leave you more money for a monitor and a larger SSD http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-120gb-solid-state-white/5005688.p?skuId=5005688

The first one I posted has more hard drive space, a better video card and better processor. Both will run the game on ultra

monitor should you need one https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS228H-P-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDOO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477507291&sr=8-5&keywords=monitor++1080p

You can add a 250 gb ssd as long as you put the sims game and nothing else you will have enough room for the game with cc, mods ect. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&cm_re=samsung_evo_ssd-_-20-147-372-_-Product
  • Options
    Thank you, @phoebebebe13 . That first suggestion especially looks pretty good. I don't have a monitor (I want to get two), but I'm budgeting them separately. One can be kind of small, but the main one I want to be of a good size.
  • Options
    JoieWilder wrote: »
    Thank you, @phoebebebe13 . That first suggestion especially looks pretty good. I don't have a monitor (I want to get two), but I'm budgeting them separately. One can be kind of small, but the main one I want to be of a good size.

Your welcome. Amazon has better prices for monitors. ASUS and BenQ are good brands but it depends on what you want to spend on a monitor. The Asus monitor I posted comes in different sizes. For both computers I posted make sure the monitor is 1080p resolution at 60 hz. This way the game will run on ultra.

I would suggest in the future getting another SSD to play this game on 250-500 gb depending on your budget. 500 would be better. Newegg charges no tax so better off getting an ssd there. Also if you get a computer with SSD do not defrag the ssd or it can get damaged over time. Make sure you have auto defrag off for the ssd which would be C drive. The hdd hard drive can have auto defrag
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    If you want a bigger resolution than 1080p, it would be good to know that now. You will need a stronger GPU for it. 1080p is the most common resolution right now and that's fine but I thought it would be worth mentioning.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    If you want a bigger resolution than 1080p, it would be good to know that now. You will need a stronger GPU for it. 1080p is the most common resolution right now and that's fine but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

op's budget is $1000, that will not get you a card to run 2k . You really need a GTX 1080 to run 2k not only resolution but speed. 2k is higher than 60 hz
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member

op's budget is $1000, that will not get you a card to run 2k . You really need a GTX 1080 to run 2k not only resolution but speed. 2k is higher than 60 hz
    Yes she would need to up her budget for a better card. I only mentioned it in case she had higher resolution in mind. My 25" 2K Asus is 60Hz btw.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options

Yes she would need to up her budget for a better card. I only mentioned it in case she had higher resolution in mind. My 25" 2K Asus is 60Hz btw.

Thanks I thought they were all higher. I was not sure if they came is 60 hz.
  • Options
    Thank you for your help and advice everyone. My friend helped me design a computer on cyberpower that should do everything I need it to. :)
  • Options
    Thank you for your help and advice everyone. My friend helped me design a computer on cyberpower that should do everything I need it to. :)

ok. Thats why I called in chester. She is an expert builder who would has done many custom configurations on cyberpower for people in the forum but to get the specs like I posted off the shelf you would be paying more than 1000 for custom. What specs did your friend give you?
  • Options
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's very similar to the more expensive computer above. I'm very excited for when it and my monitors get here. I've never played on a deaktop before, much less one as nice as this.
  • Options
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's very similar to the more expensive computer above. I'm very excited for when it and my monitors get here. I've never played on a deaktop before, much less one as nice as this.

I was just hoping they configured it correctly. You have a roomy case with enough fans ect. Does your friend no how to build?

Good luck and enjoy the new pc. :)