Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you change the name of your town or worlds You are playing

EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
Like if you are playing in Riverview, do you change the name to something else. or do you keep the name, Riverview, Sunset Valley etc. Just curious. as I thought I would change the name of the world I am playing.

Comments

• Options
    GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I usually keep it as is, unless it's a custom works with information in the title. Example would be "custom world base game edition", I usually just shorten it to "custom world" in my save file.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Usually I keep the names but sometimes I'll play an "alternate universe" -- that is, I load a world like Sunset Valley, then nuke all the residents and repopulate it with my own Sims. Then I'll usually call it MyRealLastName Valley and save it. Good question!
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    You can change the name? How do you change the name? I always get rid of all the townies and put in my own, and redo the whole world but I never knew you could change the name. I remember in Sims 2 you could change the whole world description.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I never knew you could change the town's name! I don't think I'd personally change it, unless I was going to give the town a makeover.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I have not tried it but it was said when the world comes up for you to play, that before you put your sim in the game, that there is a small box on the right that you can rename the world. I don't know because I have not done that. I just save to what ever makes sense to find the game I want in my saves to play. I will check it out and see. I guess it does not matter what you save it as except if you are writing a story and call the world what ever suits your story I guess.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    When you save a newly played world for the first time you can name it. The default name is already in the naming box but you can change it.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I renamed Glenvale County to Glen Harbor for a legacy and it's in Maryland.I also edited to get rid of rabbit holes because they took up all of the larger lots which I wanted for families to live on.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    ...I had no idea that was possible!

So no, I have never done that, but I might. Particularly for some worlds whose names don't sound like actual places to me. "Sunlit Tides" is very evocative of the setting, but it's not "Bali-Hai" or otherwise South-Pacific sounding.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    There is no way to change the name of the town in the game, but if you're in the habit of naming your saves with the town's name, you can give them any town name you want. Any notices that pop up during the game that use the town's name will still call it by its original name, but you can ignore those if you want to. The only way to actually change an existing world's name is to take it into CAW, remove the identifying file, rename it, give it a new thumbnail and description, and export and install it as a new world.
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    edited October 2016
    Good thing I came across this thread. I hate the translated names. When I installed Sunlit Tides and then started a new game all I saw was a world called The Island of Dreams (I translated it back to English). I was like "great but where's Sunlit Tides". Then there's Barnacle Bay (I don't have it though) which somehow became Shell Bay. (funny thing is, it's not translated in the store only in the launcher)
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I looked in a new game (first save) recently but didn't see a place to change the name of the town. I do change the name of the save game frequently (other than appending a number to the save regularly). Sometimes I use the last name of the household instead of the town, sometimes I use a combination of the town and the last name.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I never use the town name for my saves, except for starter saves where I've edited the town and deleted, placed, moved, and edited lots. For my actual game saves, I always use the name of the active sims or household, such as "Maya Cook," "Derek & Amy," or "Foster family." Then I add numbers to the end for subsequent saves as I play them.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I do sometimes rename worlds (Hidden Springs = Emblesight, Monte Vista = Monte Castiglione, Isla Paradiso = Cielo Insolar, Lunar Lakes = Sininen Kuu and Dragon Valley = Dragan Glaenn), but only in my stories, not in the game itself. I have no idea if that's possible, but I see the world's name nowhere anyway? I name the saves after the sim I'm playing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I do, sometimes. If it fits better. So is Dragon Valley called 'Farraige Ghleann' in my game.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
    When I play a world for the first time, I will save the world with the original name to it. But if I should decide that I want to start another story using a world that I had already used, then I will change the name to something else when I save it for the first save. I know that people will place other families and Sims into one of their worlds and play doing the rotation thing but I haven't really tried playing other families and/or Sims that I add in the world that I'm playing as I much prefer to put them in their own world and play like that. I have added a sim or 2 to some of the existing worlds in hopes that my Sims might just meet up with them or just to see what they would do on their own since I have NRaas Story Progression installed... :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I always keep the name Simbourne. I have used it since 1999 when I played Sim City 3000 :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I like to remake worlds or start with empty ones and build them up, and so, sometimes I have an idea for a name that's different from the original. In that case, I'll name my saves what I had in mind. Other times, I name the saves after the sim (or usually family of sims) I'm playing. If I'm playing the same family name in different worlds (I had one family I kept starting over in different places), then I'll do something like an abbreviation of the world name along with the family name - like STJones1. I also always number them and keep several saves of the same game, just in case the worst happens and one becomes corrupt.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    ShojoDaggerShojoDagger Posts: 320 Member
    I usually rename only for ID purposes. The "rename" thing is really just your game save's file name. So like I have "sunset valley" then I started a new game & put different sims in it to try some different things, so that was "sunset valley2" because I didn't want to overwrite the previous saved world... a super creative rename right? And now I have one that is called "test world", guess what it's for...
    So rename it for creativity, or rename it for game save separation/identification...or don't rename it at all, whichever makes you happy.
    I uploaded something! (yay) My Studio
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    AllMadHereAllMadHere Posts: 55 Member
    Twinbrook is still Twinbrook. Are you able to change it after starting?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    The players on this thread were confusing changing the name of the world/town (which cannot be done without creating a whole new world in CAW) with changing the name of the save file (which can be done at any time, even if the game is not running). Changing the name of the save file doesn't do anything except possibly give the user a more organized and identifiable set of saves to manage.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    sugarplumpeachsugarplumpeach Posts: 177 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    The players on this thread were confusing changing the name of the world/town (which cannot be done without creating a whole new world in CAW) with changing the name of the save file (which can be done at any time, even if the game is not running). Changing the name of the save file doesn't do anything except possibly give the user a more organized and identifiable set of saves to manage.

Thank you for saying this, because I was so confused when I read the title and responses because I knew it wasn't possible to change the names of towns or worlds. I was like wait, these people can't be serious? Haha.
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion, I meant if you are using say Sunset Valley, when you write a story about your game play, or even just save, do you call your world/town another name, Like, the Drake family moved to (Sunset Valley) but called it Summer Place in your story or game play. As far as changing the name in a box, I have yet to find a way to do this.