Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to Bella Goth's appearance?

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

In the early Sims 2 days, Bella Goth looked like this:

20040624-art3.jpg

And she was later shown off again, in Bella Goth Squared.

MTS_Elias943-1068072-BellaSquared.png

Obviously there is a major difference, not just with her appearence, but how the Sims themselves looked:

MTS_TashaFaun-792299-snapshot_5598ef0f_b598fb04.jpg

Why did the Sims 2 sims look SO different? And why did Bella change so much?

Anyone know? @Cinebar ???

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Because of a rumoured fire that destroyed some files for the game. They had to redo some graphics including sims and ownable cars were delayed to only appear in Nightlife though you had carpools etc.

Ownable cars and rain were in the beta version of the game. They couldn't solve an issue with rain going through the roof so they delayed that and made the first Seasons. The first game with rain ever was Sims Urbz on console.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Because of a rumoured fire that destroyed some files for the game. They had to redo some graphics including sims and ownable cars were delayed to only appear in Nightlife though you had carpools etc.

Ownable cars and rain were in the beta version of the game. They couldn't solve an issue with rain going through the roof so they delayed that and made the first Seasons. The first game with rain ever was Sims Urbz on console.

I knew about the fire and Urbz being the first (the first game to do a lot of things actually, (and sadly).
    But the render of Bella above, for example, was released 3 months before the game came out.

Did they have to rush release the game and didn't get time to finish it?
    Because it seemed like a last minute thing that the Sims looked different.

http://www.simsnetwork.com/news/2004/06/24/10-new-renders

In some ways, they looked better, in some ways they looked like The Sims from Sims Bustin Out.
    But they obviously looked better than what we got in the end, when you look at the bella comparison for example.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

I knew about the fire and Urbz being the first (the first game to do a lot of things actually, (and sadly).
    But the render of Bella above, for example, was released 3 months before the game came out.

In some ways, they looked better, in some ways they looked like The Sims from Sims Bustin Out.

I'm not sure, I think only people who worked on it could tell us about it, like @SimGuruLyndsay :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    654213-927463_20050421_003.jpg

It always annoyed me that The Sims 2 on console had wayyyy better looking Sims.
  • Options

I'm not sure, I think only people who worked on it could tell us about it, like @SimGuruLyndsay :)

Dammnn. Haha.

I don't know, I just find it curious. The Sims 2 wouldn't have aged much at all if the Sims ended up looking that good.
    The problem with The Sims 2 is they look pretty hideous. :p
  • Options

Dammnn. Haha.

I don't know, I just find it curious. The Sims 2 wouldn't have aged much at all if the Sims ended up looking that good.
    The problem with The Sims 2 is they look pretty hideous. :p

I like how they look tbh XD But yeah they could have been ever greater looking.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    @Cinebar do you know by chance?
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    @jackjack_k I've noticed that the 2nd (and possibly the 3rd) image seems to be out of place because the screenshot is actually from The Sims 3 on Windows and Mac instead of The Sims 2 on Windows, and the url comes from MTS (Mod the Sims) suggesting that it's fake since the object doesn't normally exist in TS3. I wonder if it's because you couldn't take a screenshot of TS2 and didn't have a file sharing website to store your images or if you found it more convenient to link the image from MTS and other websites.

Here's the real Bella Squared from The Sims 2 and The Sims Life Stories if anyone is wondering about the object in TS2
    Bella%20Squared%20TS2.png?psid=1

Compare it to this image from MTS:
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited October 2016
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

SimGuruLyndsay recently confirmed in the Ask a Guru thread that there was indeed a fire, but it didn't destroyed anything since they had tons of backups.
    I'm guessing they just decided to change their artstyle, and changed the lighting due to most PCs not being able to handle it back in 2004.

EDIT: I couldn't find her post, but i'm pretty sure she said that somewhere. :|
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    nicholasvotolatonicholasvotolato Posts: 17 Member
    Check out Bellagoth18 twitter I think she is the person that they based Bella Goth off of
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I actually really like the look of the Sims 2 sims, they have such an iconic "sim" look, one that Sims 3 and 4 could never replace, especially 4 since the sims look like real people with enough effort, sims in 2 and 3 always had a sort of "sim" look.
  • Options
    WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    The one in that first picture is pretty, but doesn't look tan enough to be Bella. As for the final product, I don't like the gray sheen on certain black hairstyles.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

20040624-art3.jpg

Obviously there is a major difference, not just with her appearence, but how the Sims themselves looked:

The Bellas seen in game are not the real Bella. She was killed off by Maxiods by the death token (can't be resurrected if given a death token unless you use SimPE) The ones in game seen in Strangetown or the one in the other mainhood are not the real Bella. They did this to make sure she remains 'abducted' but it's really a death token. ETA: The large render of her posed is when they were first building TS2 and using TS1 placeholders.

Actually, she is! The Bella with the death token was apparently a dev's accident, but strangetown's Bella is the real one, from a lore perspective. Apparently, one shall NEVER bring her in Pleasantview, lest they suffer bugs.
  • Options
    BlushBlush Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Sigzy05 said:
    > Because of a rumoured fire that destroyed some files for the game.

I didn't even know that was a thing! omg, that must of set them back so much.
  • Options
    WarGreymon77WarGreymon77 Posts: 127 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

20040624-art3.jpg

The Bellas seen in game are not the real Bella. She was killed off by Maxiods by the death token (can't be resurrected if given a death token unless you use SimPE) The ones in game seen in Strangetown or the one in the other mainhood are not the real Bella. They did this to make sure she remains 'abducted' but it's really a death token. ETA: The large render of her posed is when they were first building TS2 and using TS1 placeholders.

Actually, she is! The Bella with the death token was apparently a dev's accident, but strangetown's Bella is the real one, from a lore perspective. Apparently, one shall NEVER bring her in Pleasantview, lest they suffer bugs.
    I remember trying to figure out how to get Bella reunited with Mortimer. Luckily the age difference dissuaded me before I messed up my game.
  • Options
    @Blush wrote: »
    > @Sigzy05 said:
    > Because of a rumoured fire that destroyed some files for the game.

I didn't even know that was a thing! omg, that must of set them back so much.

Nah, it was confirmed it never happened.
  • Options
    taffy550taffy550 Posts: 666 Member
    My sim who lived in Strangetown befriended Bella and asked her to move in. I saved the house with the two sims to the bin. Placed the house in Pleasantview. It didn't seem to break anything. Happy Simming and Happy Thanksgiving. :)
  • Options
    theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    > @taffy550 said:
    > My sim who lived in Strangetown befriended Bella and asked her to move in. I saved the house with the two sims to the bin. Placed the house in Pleasantview. It didn't seem to break anything. Happy Simming and Happy Thanksgiving. :)

gotta be careful pulling stunts like that. almost anything can corrupt The Sims 2.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    MorticiaBlack7MorticiaBlack7 Posts: 130 Member
    edited November 2017
    Oh, wow, I had no clue about half of the stuff in this thread! It's very interesting. For me Bella render and the portrait picture posted above show a very pretty Bella - prettier than any Bella in any iteration of the game. I'm probably not gonna get very popular with my opinion, but to me sims in The Sims 2 were the ugliest and the most ridiculously looking in the series :D Also, at the time I was playing sims 2 I had no idea about CC.
    Post edited by MorticiaBlack7 on
  • Options
    @theFella wrote: »
    > @taffy550 said:
    > My sim who lived in Strangetown befriended Bella and asked her to move in. I saved the house with the two sims to the bin. Placed the house in Pleasantview. It didn't seem to break anything. Happy Simming and Happy Thanksgiving. :)

gotta be careful pulling stunts like that. almost anything can corrupt The Sims 2.

Right? I remember leaving Sims in the photobooth when leaving the lot could corrupt the game back then, lol.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    taffy550 wrote: »
    My sim who lived in Strangetown befriended Bella and asked her to move in. I saved the house with the two sims to the bin. Placed the house in Pleasantview. It didn't seem to break anything. Happy Simming and Happy Thanksgiving. :)

No, this is guaranteed to corrupt your game because you now have bad sim relationships, sim dna, and memories in both neighborhoods. It will take a while for that sort of damage to become apparent, but it has already happened. NEVER put occupied houses in the house bin. It's guaranteed corruption for the neighborhood you took the house from and any neighborhood that you place the house in, though the maxis folks appear to have intended it to be possible and then never patched to take the ability away.

You can try to drag some more playtime out of these neighborhoods by using SimPE to delete all references to Bella and your sim in strangetown, and I think there's a tutorial on safe sim deletion on MATY, but without doing that you have just toasted both neighborhoods. As someone who's been playing the sims 2 since 2003ish, believe me, it's a guarantee.

Fortunately if you need to start over you can download MeetMe2TheRiver's clean maxis neighborhood templates, which don't have any of the lurking potential corruption issues that plagued Pleasantview. All the sims are the same, but her pleasantview has a ressurectable Bella Goth.

Happy thanksgiving, Taffy, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but good luck.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    > @Scribal_Goddess said:
    > No, this is guaranteed to corrupt your game because you now have bad sim relationships, sim dna, and memories in both neighborhoods. It will take a while for that sort of damage to become apparent, but it has already happened. NEVER put occupied houses in the house bin. It's guaranteed corruption for the neighborhood you took the house from and any neighborhood that you place the house in, though the maxis folks appear to have intended it to be possible and then never patched to take the ability away.
    >
    > You can try to drag some more playtime out of these neighborhoods by using SimPE to delete all references to Bella and your sim in strangetown, and I think there's a tutorial on safe sim deletion on MATY, but without doing that you have just toasted both neighborhoods. As someone who's been playing the sims 2 since 2003ish, believe me, it's a guarantee.
    >
    > Fortunately if you need to start over you can download MeetMe2TheRiver's clean maxis neighborhood templates, which don't have any of the lurking potential corruption issues that plagued Pleasantview. All the sims are the same, but her pleasantview has a ressurectable Bella Goth.
    >
    > Happy thanksgiving, Taffy, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but good luck.

what happens if you don't replace it? just curious, never let 'hood corruption get out of hand.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Oh, wow, I had no clue about half of the stuff in this thread! It's very interesting. For me Bella render and the portrait picture posted above show a very pretty Bella - prettier than any Bella in any iteration of the game. I'm probably not gonna get very popular with my opinion, but to me sims in The Sims 2 were the ugliest and the most ridiculously looking in the series :D Also, at the time I was playing sims 2 I had no idea about CC.

I agree WOW!!!! :love: hands down best looking version of Bella of all.Her brooding face with those narrow eyes is just perfect.And was not a fan of the Sims look in 2 either but the game play and game itself was really good.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    edited November 2017
    theFella wrote: »
    @Scribal_Goddess said:
    No, this is guaranteed to corrupt your game because you now have bad sim relationships, sim dna, and memories in both neighborhoods. It will take a while for that sort of damage to become apparent, but it has already happened. NEVER put occupied houses in the house bin. It's guaranteed corruption for the neighborhood you took the house from and any neighborhood that you place the house in, though the maxis folks appear to have intended it to be possible and then never patched to take the ability away.

You can try to drag some more playtime out of these neighborhoods by using SimPE to delete all references to Bella and your sim in strangetown, and I think there's a tutorial on safe sim deletion on MATY, but without doing that you have just toasted both neighborhoods. As someone who's been playing the sims 2 since 2003ish, believe me, it's a guarantee.

Fortunately if you need to start over you can download MeetMe2TheRiver's clean maxis neighborhood templates, which don't have any of the lurking potential corruption issues that plagued Pleasantview. All the sims are the same, but her pleasantview has a ressurectable Bella Goth.

Happy thanksgiving, Taffy, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but good luck.

what happens if you don't replace it? just curious, never let 'hood corruption get out of hand.

Any neighborhood that you do not place the occupied house in is theoretically safe. (Theoretically, mind you - I haven't fried my game in quite this manner before.)

If you continue playing the neighborhood you took the house from, or put the house in, your first signs of corruption will probably be sims with 1) memories, lifetime wants, or family tree connections that they should not have.
    2) Sims that are randomly unselectable, have blank wants panels, etc.
    3) Sims refusing to leave a lot via a specific portal (i.e. their carpool keeps showing up and they just drop all actions to get in out of their queue.)

This happens because once sim data is detatched from a sim it just sort of... wanders around and gets attached to other things.

In later stages, you may (not an exhaustive list)

1) Have playable sims randomly disappear from their home lot and loose their data.
    2) Have lots that cannot open without crashing your game
    3) Have playable sims acting like NPC's.
    4) No longer be able to load the neighborhood without crashing.

In any of these situations, if you keep good notes about your sims' personality, aspiration, LTW and relationships, you can use SimPE to extract clones of the sims in terms of appearance and start over In a new neighborhood. The process of cloning sims in SimPE and reassigning their recessive genetics and other traits is time consuming, but not particularly difficult.

Here's more info: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption

People have played as-shipped pleasantview and strangetown without problems for generations, but I recommend Meetme's versions because it sounds like you want Bella back, and that's very safe to do with hers. (Also, she made a set that allows you to have a "megahood" with, for example, strangetown and pleasantview as a neighborhood and its downtown.)

Benefits of using a "clean" pleasantview are that dead sims in it are resurrectable without worries, because they no longer have "death tokens," Brandi Broke's baby has the correct family tree info guaranteed. Similarly, any strangetown sims with death tokens would have been corrected in this version. (Death tokens are a broken thing...)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]