Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Restaurant Challenge!

Comments

• Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    They're so adorable! I'm off to create a couple that will run my restaurants now.

Good luck. Right now I feel like I'm doing the drifter challenge all over again because all I'm doing is fishing and collecting since I started at $0. They've got a cooler and shower and the bushes to pee and nap in (separate bushes eww) and now I'm saving up for the lot that the restaurant is going to be on.

@VIRTUALEE Haha I got a snapdragon!
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing the 'disallow new customer' option in the hostess podium isnt working?

Just once
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    They're so adorable! I'm off to create a couple that will run my restaurants now.

Good luck. Right now I feel like I'm doing the drifter challenge all over again because all I'm doing is fishing and collecting since I started at $0. They've got a cooler and shower and the bushes to pee and nap in (separate bushes eww) and now I'm saving up for the lot that the restaurant is going to be on.

Wow! I wonder how long it’s gonna take you get the kind of money you want! Grapes are also highly profitable, fyi. Whenever I get back to my Random Challenge save, they’re going to have a vineyard to get to §20k.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member

I am SOoo Jelly
  • Options
    Jes2G wrote: »

Wow! I wonder how long it’s gonna take you get the kind of money you want! Grapes are also highly profitable, fyi. Whenever I get back to my Random Challenge save, they’re going to have a vineyard to get to §20k.

Ah nice - having a vineyard makes me want them to be able to make nectar so so bad
  • Options

Thanks for the grapes tip. I think they come in seed packets too. I'm waiting for the blackberries to be harvestable on the island before I buy their lot for the restaurant and move them there.

I am SOoo Jelly

I knew you would be. I got strawberries too. Mwahahaha!

Now I've gotta think of a catchy name for this thing, lol. I was thinking of something with the word dives in it but I'm not sure if many people know what a dive is?
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited June 2016
    I've finally got my couple for the challenge. They're not really a couple, just friends from culinary school. I play game-driven though, so if they want it, I'll let it happen!

Meet Chadwick Swann and Deja Royal!

cHhedu3.jpg

I've just moved them into Rustic Residence in Windenburg. it's a cute little 2 bedroom cottage not too far from the Van Haunt Estate. They're thinking of building their first restaurant out on the island, on the Mid-Nowhere lot. That way, it can truly be a destination spot for tourists once buzz builds. Will their place survive to have buzz build? I don't know! But it will be a good way for us to see if location matters for the restaurant.

I'm planning on writing a story about their challenge, I just have to figure out where to write it. So for now, I'm taking screenshots and forming story in my head.
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    And just that quick, I've changed things. I really want them to be in the middle of the city. I did a quick build update on Havisham House. I split the top floor into two bedrooms, added columns to support the weight of the small extension. That will also provide indoor/outdoor living on the first floor, not that they'll be home much. I'm going to bulldoze Proprietor's Square, which is right next door. That will be their first restaurant, right in the city where all the happening young singles live, work, and play.
  • Options
    @cecerose0208 I think that might be the lot I have my restaurant on. I forget what it was named before I changed it but it sounds familiar. I just finished my first week and thus my first chapter. I'm not doing a story at all really. I've already got way too many! I just want something I can play and have fun, screenshot and share what happened. ;)
  • Options
    @cecerose0208 sounds lovely and that couple (not really couple but maybe in the future a couple) are darling!! let us know when you post your story!!

@Rainydayz179 Ooo th ecity sounds fantastic - as well as the middle of nowheresville island - I cant wait to see your restaurant!
  • Options
    AntonGladerAntonGlader Posts: 54 Member

Oh this is fun! I started a type of Rags to riches challenge with the theme Dine Out, inspiration from this fellow https://youtube.com/watch?v=3RrKxzagWw4

What I do is i start from Zero to Rosebud, and on the way I want a restaurant in every town. kinda like this challenge here!

Let me present Bo Nord and Kim Nord the homeless twins! (okey they where kinda homeless)
    13411996_10209952418472981_1731004733281521928_o.jpg

And if you allow me my first restaurant. That is a Food truck!
    13433363_10209952418712987_7411596659517834981_o.jpg

I kinda want to make it a story but I'm not good at it... I take pictures on the way and hoping I will bring up the story later on!
  • Options
    GDfanet94 wrote: »
    Oh this is fun! I started a type of Rags to riches challenge with the theme Dine Out, inspiration from this fellow https://youtube.com/watch?v=3RrKxzagWw4

What I do is i start from Zero to Rosebud, and on the way I want a restaurant in every town. kinda like this challenge here!

Let me present Bo Nord and Kim Nord the homeless twins! (okey they where kinda homeless)

I kinda want to make it a story but I'm not good at it... I take pictures on the way and hoping I will bring up the story later on!

Totally digging the hostess get up!! and loving the twins <3 - you can start out (if you want ) by making your story sort of a journal entry type thing were you document your successess and challenges for each milestone. you are welcome to start a thread or Wordpress allows you to blog it for free -

here is a thread to folks that are interested in Simlit writing and want more info: Quick Guide to Simlit Writing
  • Options
    @VIRTUALEE Well, if you call a bunch of stuff thrown on a grassy lot in Windenburg a restaurant then you're in for a treat! I'll be posting it this evening.

@GDfanet94 Ha! The Sim Supply's videos are what pushed me over the edge to do this challenge as well! I've been doing mine Rags to Riches style but using @Jes2G 's guidelines instead of the rosebud thing. You should definitely look into WordPress. I know Virtualee also suggested a forum post but I find they don't load right for me with a bunch of screenshots. Plus with WordPress people can like and comment on individual posts instead of waiting until the end of the thread posts to comment. I'm brand new to WordPress but if you decide to do it and need help I can try.

My story is not a story! It is just me taking goofy pictures and documenting what happened so far. It's spanning their first week. Of which they only had a restaurant for 2 days. The rest of the time was spent raising money. I have 2 stories and that's enough for me. The rest of my stuff are challenges and just fun with a bit of story mixed in.
  • Options
    I've finally got my couple for the challenge. They're not really a couple, just friends from culinary school. I play game-driven though, so if they want it, I'll let it happen!

Meet Chadwick Swann and Deja Royal!

cHhedu3.jpg

I've just moved them into Rustic Residence in Windenburg. it's a cute little 2 bedroom cottage not too far from the Van Haunt Estate. They're thinking of building their first restaurant out on the island, on the Mid-Nowhere lot. That way, it can truly be a destination spot for tourists once buzz builds. Will their place survive to have buzz build? I don't know! But it will be a good way for us to see if location matters for the restaurant.

I'm planning on writing a story about their challenge, I just have to figure out where to write it. So for now, I'm taking screenshots and forming story in my head.

WOOT! Cute couple friends!
    forum_final.png

• Options
    GDfanet94 wrote: »

FUN! Welcome :) You guys doing the rags to riches thing are very ambitious! I don't have the patience! Well...I would if I wanted to do a full blown story about it. Good luck!!
    forum_final.png

• Options
    I played for a little bit last night, and the restaurant got to 5 stars for the first time! Then minutes later (like, Sim minutes lol) it was back down to 4.5 stars and that's where it is now lol. The staff have almost maxed out their skills! They're all at level 7+ on everything, most of them at levels 8 & 9. But...are they ready to be left alone? Heck no lol. I'm gonna work toward that perk (forgot what it's called) that allows more success and fewer bad things to happen when you're not around.

I suppose because the employees are so good, the customers are getting a better experience because we started getting 5 star ratings from customers AND the critic! Woot! They made like §1200 last night! Net profit was like §700 something. However, they're not very happy with their jobs. :( I wonder if I'm sending them to training too much lol. Jonathan and Skyla praise them and give them inspirational speeches, but when they check on them they're like "meh." Two of them were unsatisfied and one was neutral, so I promoted them all again. A few times I got complaints about them feeling like the only ones working. Does that mean I should hire additional staff? I want to, but I'm not sure they can afford it especially if I'm going to promote everyone again--I'm thinking that's the only thing that's gonna make them anything but neutral.

OH! So, I was plagued with the disallow new customers not working last night. I disallowed around 6:00 so they could finish up with the last customers around 9:00, but they still kept coming! They closed up shop at like 11:30 and were open for 13 hours. Whoops!
    forum_final.png

• Options
    @Jes2G The staff not being satisfied no matter what you do is a huge topic in the Dining Out section of the forums. Everyone's complaining about it. It's extremely frustrating. To me, the inspirational speech seems to just annoy them instead of help.

When I disallow new customers I take a look at who's seated already and when they're done eating I close... just in case, it doesn't work that time. Everyone seems to have a different theory of how many hours you can stay open and still keep the staff happy. I've been trying to close after around 8 hours but somehow always end up running longer than that.
  • Options
    @Jes2G The staff not being satisfied no matter what you do is a huge topic in the Dining Out section of the forums. Everyone's complaining about it. It's extremely frustrating. To me, the inspirational speech seems to just annoy them instead of help.

When I disallow new customers I take a look at who's seated already and when they're done eating I close... just in case, it doesn't work that time. Everyone seems to have a different theory of how many hours you can stay open and still keep the staff happy. I've been trying to close after around 8 hours but somehow always end up running longer than that.

Yeah, I mean, like I mentioned before about the comparison between the restaurant employees and retail employees, it's clearly a glitch to me! There's just no reason for it. The inspirational speech actually works for me. After Jonathan gave it to the host, OH BOY! You should have seen her greeting to the next customer LOL. I was like WOW...she's exciting about working!

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out the hours too. It seems they start to get tired at 11, and even at 13 they were still just saying that they were tired, so who knows how long they can actually work. I only want to be open for 8 hours too, but the diner rush always messes me up. Around the time I would like to close, everyone and their grandmother comes! They usually open at 11 or noon, and I want to close up at 7 or 8 but they never can because I'd be turning down money lol. If I wasn't writing a story that had children in it (and mildly cared about telling their stories as well), I would adjust the operating hours to accommodate the diner rush but only operate for 8 hours. I'd open at like 3 and close at 11, but the babies. Oh well lol.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    Yeah, I mean, like I mentioned before about the comparison between the restaurant employees and retail employees, it's clearly a glitch to me! There's just no reason for it. The inspirational speech actually works for me. After Jonathan gave it to the host, OH BOY! You should have seen her greeting to the next customer LOL. I was like WOW...she's exciting about working!

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out the hours too. It seems they start to get tired at 11, and even at 13 they were still just saying that they were tired, so who knows how long they can actually work. I only want to be open for 8 hours too, but the diner rush always messes me up. Around the time I would like to close, everyone and their grandmother comes! They usually open at 11 or noon, and I want to close up at 7 or 8 but they never can because I'd be turning down money lol. If I wasn't writing a story that had children in it (and mildly cared about telling their stories as well), I would adjust the operating hours to accommodate the diner rush but only operate for 8 hours. I'd open at like 3 and close at 11, but the babies. Oh well lol.

This was my main motivation to start a new save for the challenge. I have 3 restaurants in different saves as well but they all have families and stuff that I have to worry about and I just wanted to play a restaurant darn it! The few times Kristof tried the inspirational speech I had the employees respond with something like was that supposed to be inspirational? I was ticked to have used the points on it. I'll try getting it again since it worked for you.
  • Options
    I played for a little bit last night, and the restaurant got to 5 stars for the first time! Then minutes later (like, Sim minutes lol) it was back down to 4.5 stars and that's where it is now lol. The staff have almost maxed out their skills! They're all at level 7+ on everything, most of them at levels 8 & 9. But...are they ready to be left alone? Heck no lol. I'm gonna work toward that perk (forgot what it's called) that allows more success and fewer bad things to happen when you're not around.

I suppose because the employees are so good, the customers are getting a better experience because we started getting 5 star ratings from customers AND the critic! Woot! They made like §1200 last night! Net profit was like §700 something. However, they're not very happy with their jobs. :( I wonder if I'm sending them to training too much lol. Jonathan and Skyla praise them and give them inspirational speeches, but when they check on them they're like "meh." Two of them were unsatisfied and one was neutral, so I promoted them all again. A few times I got complaints about them feeling like the only ones working. Does that mean I should hire additional staff? I want to, but I'm not sure they can afford it especially if I'm going to promote everyone again--I'm thinking that's the only thing that's gonna make them anything but neutral.

OH! So, I was plagued with the disallow new customers not working last night. I disallowed around 6:00 so they could finish up with the last customers around 9:00, but they still kept coming! They closed up shop at like 11:30 and were open for 13 hours. Whoops!

THIS!! I have so many parallels its hysterical...I am wondering what your markup is? I can barley make a profit even with low costing of supplies and that perk that makes everything cost less. I can make anywhere from 300-500 but no more and I am open for like 8-11 hours because my flipping 'disallow customers' isn't working...OH and one day my entire staff didnt show up except my cook...why can't we cover as owners again?? At this point if it wasnt for my Abuelitas lillys and my painting skill I would never be able to open up another restaurant.
  • Options
    THIS!! I have so many parallels its hysterical...I am wondering what your markup is? I can barley make a profit even with low costing of supplies and that perk that makes everything cost less. I can make anywhere from 300-500 but no more and I am open for like 8-11 hours because my flipping 'disallow customers' isn't working...OH and one day my entire staff didnt show up except my cook...why can't we cover as owners again?? At this point if it wasnt for my Abuelitas lillys and my painting skill I would never be able to open up another restaurant.

Eek. Y'all have me worried now since I started with basically nothing. I know on her YouTube let's plays Deligracy has her markup at 300% and she still has customers believe it or not. I might try upping mine when I have time to play it again and see how it goes.

Right now I'm struggling once again with the baby to child thing in my legacy which has nothing to do with this topic but it's keeping me from playing my restaurant save.
  • Options

This was my main motivation to start a new save for the challenge. I have 3 restaurants in different saves as well but they all have families and stuff that I have to worry about and I just wanted to play a restaurant darn it! The few times Kristof tried the inspirational speech I had the employees respond with something like was that supposed to be inspirational? I was ticked to have used the points on it. I'll try getting it again since it worked for you.

HA! That's hilarious! I haven't gotten that one yet. I get either "110%?! I'm giving 120% after that speech!" or something like "I can do this! I believe in myself" or something lol.
    forum_final.png

• Options

I have the default 125% markup. I thought about doing 150, but I left it there. People love their prices lol.

I HATE that the owners can't cover!! That's so dumb. I hope they change that in the future.

Even though Skyla works there too, I was thinking about having Jonathan quit his job so they can open 5 or 6 days a week. I've figured out that if I just leave the flowers alone and don't pick them so much, the yield can be freakin' awesome. The last time he picked the lilies they sold for almost 20k! So, I'm definitely going to have him only pick flowers once a week.
    forum_final.png

• Options

Eek. Y'all have me worried now since I started with basically nothing. I know on her YouTube let's plays Deligracy has her markup at 300% and she still has customers believe it or not. I might try upping mine when I have time to play it again and see how it goes.

Right now I'm struggling once again with the baby to child thing in my legacy which has nothing to do with this topic but it's keeping me from playing my restaurant save.

I think the only reason we made money on the first few days was because of the owners checking on everyone and getting the staff trained right away and very often.
    forum_final.png

• Options
    I think the only reason we made money on the first few days was because of the owners checking on everyone and getting the staff trained right away and very often.

I made like $16 the first day and $30 the second after paying the staff.