Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

June Game Patch

Comments

• Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    @SimGuruSteve you've been browsing reddit too much lately, no sim guru post ever gets buried here, it gets quoted in multiple posts and threads, you're good :D
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Interesting read SimGuruSteve, and I love your Homer Simpson gif. That gif is one of the best that I have seen from you guys in a while? :)o:)
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Cement wrote: »
    I think it's too early to call for a patch. I think it might be the week after next week, as the arrival of the new GP comes along next week and the week after would be on time for the regular monthly patch. After spending a week with the GP, they could also get community feedback if there are any conflicting bugs that affect other peoples games.

Patches are necessary before the release of new packs for Sims 4 because that's how they add the resources for the new packs in. So it will be before Dining Out, probably tomorrow based on their history.

Traditionally, yes we release at the end of the week before the launch of a new product. But WHY is kind of interesting - at least to me... I don't know if this'll get buried, but eh:

Let's gather around, it's story time!
    26tjZMOvlHpGSDSes.gif

Previously in the early days of Sims 3, we would release both the basegame patch and the product at the same time. 10:00am. Early enough that the team was all in office and ready to test.

However, this causes a few issues. If players in Asia, Australia, Europe, etc bought the physical copy, they were fine - there was a patch on disc. Not the most updated patch, but one that brought the basegame to a compatible version. If players bought digitially, however - they needed the coordinating patch to move the basegame to a compatible version. Buy the game on release day and not play it til later? No good.

Also, if the patch turned out to be bad (rare, but has happened) we were scrambling to fix it - especially because again, digital players wouldn't be able to play their game.

So then, (I think after a particularly bad streak of patches) we decided to release the patch early so we could have QA verify everything went well. We realized it solved a bunch of the above issues and players got excited to see the basegame changes through the weekend.

We also used that emergency time in at least one case. We had a bad patch release on Thursday, rolled it back and engineers fixed it that day, generate patches overnight, test on Friday, run it through certification and additional testing Saturday, submit patches to be hosted on Sunday (while testing more just in case), and release the patch on Monday at 10:00am - a day ahead of the official release, and just in time for Asia.

So we stuck with that schedule. End of the week for patches with products coming out on Tuesday. It's not set in stone, but I think it works for everyone.

83QtfwKWdmSEo.gif

I'm glad yall do it this way. That makes the wait for the Gamepack a little easier.
  • Options
    ScarletQueenKatScarletQueenKat Posts: 792 Member
    I think it's too early to call for a patch. I think it might be the week after next week, as the arrival of the new GP comes along next week and the week after would be on time for the regular monthly patch. After spending a week with the GP, they could also get community feedback if there are any conflicting bugs that affect other peoples games.

Patches are necessary before the release of new packs for Sims 4 because that's how they add the resources for the new packs in. So it will be before Dining Out, probably tomorrow based on their history.

Traditionally, yes we release at the end of the week before the launch of a new product. But WHY is kind of interesting - at least to me... I don't know if this'll get buried, but eh:

26tjZMOvlHpGSDSes.gif

Previously in the early days of Sims 3, we would release both the basegame patch and the product at the same time. 10:00am. Early enough that the team was all in office and ready to test.

However, this causes a few issues. If players in Asia, Australia, Europe, etc bought the physical copy, they were fine - there was a patch on disc. Not the most updated patch, but one that brought the basegame to a compatible version. If players bought digitially, however - they needed the coordinating patch to move the basegame to a compatible version. Buy the game on release day and not play it til later? No good.

Also, if the patch turned out to be bad (rare, but has happened) we were scrambling to fix it - especially because again, digital players wouldn't be able to play their game.

So then, (I think after a particularly bad streak of patches) we decided to release the patch early so we could have QA verify everything went well. We realized it solved a bunch of the above issues and players got excited to see the basegame changes through the weekend.

We also used that emergency time in at least one case. We had a bad patch release on Thursday, rolled it back and engineers fixed it that day, generate patches overnight, test on Friday, run it through certification and additional testing Saturday, submit patches to be hosted on Sunday (while testing more just in case), and release the patch on Monday at 10:00am - a day ahead of the official release, and just in time for Asia.

So we stuck with that schedule. End of the week for patches with products coming out on Tuesday. It's not set in stone, but I think it works for everyone.

83QtfwKWdmSEo.gif

Good to know the full details, thank you :)
    🌹 Scarlet's Mod List - Includes ALL mods, links to their latest versions, last updated dates, sorting options, and more!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited June 2016
    I think I <3 you, @SimGuruSteve (don't tell my husband, he buys me my game stuff B) ).

And I had a feeling that releasing the patch the Thursday (or Friday) before the pack releases was partially to give more opportunity for squashing bugs that slipped in unbeknownst to the devs. (Also gives the mod community more time to update their mods before pack release if necessary, which those of us who use mods appreciate.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Your Homer Simpson gif seems to be cutting out at my end SimGuruSteve!
  • Options
    SimGuruSteveSimGuruSteve Posts: 125 SimGuru
    Amiutza wrote: »
    @SimGuruSteve you've been browsing reddit too much lately, no sim guru post ever gets buried here, it gets quoted in multiple posts and threads, you're good :D

Lol, caught. I'm totally a redditor. Sometimes during work hours. Don't tell my boss.
    I think I <3 you, @SimGuruSteve (don't tell my husband, he buys me my game stuff B) ).

And I had a feeling that releasing the patch the Thursday (or Friday) before the pack releases was partially to give more opportunity for squashing bugs that slipped in unbeknownst to the devs. (Also gives the mod community more time to update their mods before pack release if necessary, which those of us who use mods appreciate.)

Good point about the mod community - I suppose it does give them time to react.

Also, d'awww, <3. But no, we can't tell your husband - if he's buying games, he's paying my salary.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Your Homer Simpson gif seems to be cutting out at my end SimGuruSteve!

It is?! How about this. It was the other gif I considered using. I'm not proud to say I spent like 5-10 minutes finding a relevant gif.

Story Time!
    TopTenBloggingConfessions1.gif
  • Options
    Le0nard1963Le0nard1963 Posts: 264 Member
    How do you think guys, new patch will coming today? Or in the releasing day of the GP.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Because even though they have never officially gave a schedule, that I know of, patches are usually released the Tuesday or Thursday before a pack release.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    jsnjsn Posts: 624 Member
    It will be either today or tomorrow (friday)
    If it is today, it will be many hours from now because it's the middle of the night in the US at the moment
    tumblr_ntxblj8QDK1s6z4zdo2_250.gif
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    If it's today (seems likely as there is a Live Stream tomorrow) it'll be in 10.5 hours, roughly.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    jsn wrote: »
    It will be either today or tomorrow (friday)
    If it is today, it will be many hours from now because it's the middle of the night in the US at the moment

Many hours is true because it isn't even Thursday yet here on the West Coast.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'd say somewhere between 10am and noon Pacific Daylight Time; check your local listings for equivalent. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    It also has another positive .. if there's base game bugs that are in the game without the EP, they are easier to identify. If you get both at the same time, it's sometimes hard to distinguish and you would need to uninstall the EP/SP to see if the error is in the game without it.

This way, people will start complaining over the weekend and you'll know it has nothing to do with the EP :D
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2016
    @SimGuruSteve Thank you for story time. Here is a banana for taking the time explaining it.
    8cbfdfc4-8fad-40f1-8f39-baf634f2492d.jpg

With the Sims 4 being tied to Origin now, is it easier to do patches then? Sadly there are still a few bugs from the Dec. 2014 patch. :(
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Oh! That's quite good then, testing the patches this way @SimGuruSteve

On another note, this means new content for the weekend, woo! Hoping the new lighting will come, since I redecorated my home in such a way that it'll look beautiful with the new patch.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited June 2016
    Can't wait to get my hands on those lovely pools of sunlight from windows! (And probably get disappointed that the glass floors don't let sunlight through...)
  • Options
    grod4Lgrod4L Posts: 129 Member
    @SimGuruSteve so....patch tomorrow? lol
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    grod4L wrote: »

*today* :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimGuruSteveSimGuruSteve Posts: 125 SimGuru
    Scobre wrote: »
    @SimGuruSteve Thank you for story time. Here is a banana for taking the time explaining it.
    8cbfdfc4-8fad-40f1-8f39-baf634f2492d.jpg

With the Sims 4 being tied to Origin now, is it easier to do patches then? Sadly there are still a few bugs from the Dec. 2014 patch. :(

I can't speak about the content IN the patches (I'm not a developer on the game itself) but yes, it is FAR easier to do patching as far as the dev team is concerned. Generating and coordinating patching on Sims 3 was one of my primary jobs. The dev team was responsible for generating the various flavors of executables, determining how to check what patch you were on, deploying them, dealing with the CDNs (file hosts). We had to keep old builds around so we could generate patches from them, as well as provide QA ways to test all the combinations! "Can a user go from retail disk to current patch? What about EP01 to current patch? What if they installed EP01, EP02, uninstalled EP02, and then tried to patch? Now that you've patched, can we guarantee we can get out of it to the next FUTURE patch?" QA had a crazy amount of testing they had to do! (and times 2 since we dealt with Mac, too!)

And now Origin takes care of it for us! We provide them with the final copy and they deal with patching. Sometimes we have to step in to determine times, etc - but mostly it's a lot more hands off for us. I can focus on other things on the team.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    grod4L wrote: »

*today* :p

I can neither confirm nor deny such info!
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited June 2016
    *giggle* embargo right up to the time of the event :D
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Because even though they have never officially gave a schedule, that I know of, patches are usually released the Tuesday or Thursday before a pack release.

They've never released a patch on a Tuesday before a pack release.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    mattytudemattytude Posts: 212 Member
    edited June 2016
    Patch confirmed for today, or tomorrow by SimGuruSteve - with a great explanation! I'm not sure how to quote that post:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/888628/june-game-patch/p2

EDIT: On re-read, maybe not confirmed, but confirms our suspicions! Haha!
  • Options
    LunaNovaLunaNova Posts: 1,239 Member

26tjZMOvlHpGSDSes.gif

83QtfwKWdmSEo.gif

Makes sense to me. It only makes sense they would then keep patch days on thursdays even when nothing was due to be released. Give some consistency to information thats released about the game!
    tumblr_ox7j4tmNjd1wqkiw6o1_1280.png
    //Sims Tumblr Here-MoonPhase Simblr//Berry Sims Here- MoonBerry Sims//
    Let me make you a cute forum avatar [Closed right noww!! will re-open closer to cats and dogs!] //
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top