Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 on 4k/5k iMac

DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
I was wondering if The Sims 4 Would look better on a Retina 4k/5k iMac compared to a non Retina windows Toshiba laptop?

Thanks!!!
Post edited by DcD2510 on

Comments

• Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    edited May 2016
    the retina display is basically LEDs being pushed together tightly, to form sharp images...
    in short 4K display on a 27 inch diagonal screen
    Post edited by JasonRMJ on
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    thanks
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    Keep in mind the quality of the game itself - it's low poly with low-detailed textures. If you turn the game settings to "Ultra" on two machines, the game itself is going to look exactly the same. The monitor of the computer may make colors look brighter, or have more contrast, but the game itself is only going to look as good as it does. The bigger the screen and higher resolution, the more you'll realize just how not HD the game is.

The iMac will almost certainly have the better screen - however, keep in mind that a Retina display means your graphics card has to do a LOT more work to fill out a 5k resolution screen versus something like a 1080 screen, which means that your game performance is going to suffer, as it takes longer to render and fill each frame at such high resolutions. (Keeping in mind that iMacs have never really had stellar graphics capabilities to begin with).

If you do any kind of design work - photography, graphic design, illustration, video editing, etc, you would benefit from the Retina screen. For gaming, not so much. The Retina screen is more of a slow down than a benefit, unless you're willing to shell out to get a top-spec model with good graphics.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I run Sims 3 & 4 on 1600 x 900 resolution on a 27" monitor/iMac. Never had a problem with it and I think both games look great.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    Either size will give you the same result in terms of screen size. But in terms of the power to drive the display. That is another matter. I have recently become the happy owner of a 5k iMac (the 27"). And I can run the game with pretty much everything on high and a resolution of 1920x1080, and the renders smooth. I don't think the current 4k iMac (21,5") can keep up, because of its lack of a proper graphics card.
  • Options
    Hi all thanks for the advice, I was just wondering about a MacBook pro 15inch retina, because I am 13, want to play The Sims 4 at my Dads house with him and his wife, I live with my Mum and go to my Dads every second weekend, I want to know how the Sims 4 will run, I don't want Windows anymore, either, and I don't really like Linux or any other OS besides OS X, I would love to hear what people think in general about The MacBook Pro 15 inch with retina display.

Thanks
  • Options
    I happen to have a MacBook Pro 15" Retina at work as well. I can tell you, the Intel Iris Pro graphics, runs Sims 4 very well. Most of my settings are on high.
  • Options
    Thank you
    I might get that then coz I want to play it at my Dads
  • Options
    You won't be sorry. It is a good computer. Just in case, you should wait until after Apple World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) before you buy. I am not sure if Apple will release a new MacBook Pro, but you never know with Apple. They hold their WWDC from the 13th june to 17th june. Their Keynote of news will be on the 13th. If nothing new is released there, nothing new will arrive until the fall. But that might be worth waiting for, since the graphics cards for games rumored for the new models looks pretty impressive, even for notebooks.
  • Options
    ok cool thanks
  • Options
    You are very welcome :-)
  • Options
    I hope TS4 will be ok on macOS Sierra
  • Options
    DcD2510 wrote: »

another new major update for MacOS?

• Options
    I heard that Siri is available on Sierra...
    13_macOS-Sierra-Siri-icon-full-size.jpg

• Options
    sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    DcD2510 wrote: »

I tried it actually (only the beta though). It was VERY glitchy. The mouse wouldn't work properly, the graphics were all messed up, and it was just a pain.

I had restored my Macbook to Mavericks, and will upgrade to El Capitan today. I will also wait until September, and wait until The Sims gets a patch.

Alex :smile:
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • Options
    sutivirus12sutivirus12 Posts: 110 Member
    Lunder89 wrote: »
    I happen to have a MacBook Pro 15" Retina at work as well. I can tell you, the Intel Iris Pro graphics, runs Sims 4 very well. Most of my settings are on high.

Do you have Laptop Mode turned on? What FPS do you get? :smile: Just curious! :tongue:
    thesims4galleryhousessignature_zps7u25o7vp.png
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Remember that Sierra is currently in Beta so you may not get the performance that you will from the final version.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Yep, I don't have a Mac yet but will get one
  • Options
    TheTummyMonsterTheTummyMonster Posts: 9 New Member
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I have a couple of questions about the Sims 4.
    So I am planning to buy a new iMac and I would like a second opinion if Sims 4 will run on "ultra" settings smoothly?
    Here are the specs:

3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    16GB (two 8GB) memory, configurable up to 32GB
    1TB Fusion Drive
    AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory
    Retina 5K 5120-by-2880 P3 display
    I am mainly concerned about the graphics card. I am open to suggestions. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    I do own an iMac identical to this (Except I have 512 GB SSD)
    And I do run everything in high settings at 1920x1080 resolution, and I havn't experienced any lag yet. I can turn the graphics settings up, but then it will lag at some point. Especially in retina resolution the game performes poorly.

I have uploaded a screenshot of my settings (sorry about the danish language), Høj means high, Mellem means medium. 2E6DHZ1.png
  • Options
    TheTummyMonsterTheTummyMonster Posts: 9 New Member

Thanks Lunder89 for the response and screenshot! 1920x1080 resolution is good enough for me as long as there are no lags :)
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Only four more months and I can get my 5k iMac I'm so excited :#
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Thanks Lunder89 for the response and screenshot! 1920x1080 resolution is good enough for me as long as there are no lags :)
    I havn't experienced any. But I don't play with CC either.

However if you take a peak towards the end of this video, you can see a glimpse of the Sims 4 running my 5k iMac. This is a video review of my particular iMac.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BKCXTLWkn0

The graphics settings have even been bumped up a bit since the screenshot. I am still testing though, but I think the Mac can handle it with no sweat :-)
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    @Lunder89 Thank you so much for the video! I've been saving for this iMac but I could never find actual gameplay on this particular mac. But now I can see it runs like a dream!
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the praise. Then the video is doing some good.