Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need Help Picking a Laptop

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    KacePlaysGamesKacePlaysGames Posts: 116 Member
    Hey, so I'm back on my own forum :s I'm not really looking to get a laptop again, I think I wanna get a desktop computer now. I'm just really bad at computer stuff, I could use some help finding a new PC. I'm not gonna say I have a budget this time because I know that will be limiting (but I do know when something's gonna be a little too expensive). I just want something that can run games well. Even though I'm asking about desktops, I can still take suggestions for laptops as well. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hey, so I'm back on my own forum :s I'm not really looking to get a laptop again, I think I wanna get a desktop computer now. I'm just really bad at computer stuff, I could use some help finding a new PC. I'm not gonna say I have a budget this time because I know that will be limiting (but I do know when something's gonna be a little too expensive). I just want something that can run games well. Even though I'm asking about desktops, I can still take suggestions for laptops as well. Thanks in advance!

desktop $709 no tax outside CA, TN and NJ https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230091&cm_re=gtx_1050_ti_cyberpower-_-83-230-091-_-Product

laptop

$799 this has older hardware and the laptop below is better https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154499&cm_re=msi_laptop-_-34-154-499-_-Product

$899 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154525&cm_re=gtx_1050_ti_laptop-_-34-154-525-_-Product
  • Options
  • Options

I tried to find you more desktops. I have to be careful with power supply. A lot of computers will meet all requirements but have a very low power supply. You should have at least a 500 watt power supply. That desktop I posted has 600 watt

Your very welcome
  • Options
    crumpetscrumpets Posts: 3 New Member
    @KacePlaysGames Just to let you know that you can actually directly stream sims from a desktop to your laptop with controls enabled via external programs
  • Options
    Heyo, I am back once again. I ended up getting a laptop, but it's not really working out. I pretty much rushed into buying it without looking real good at the specs and it doesn't run Sims 4 great. It can go up to high settings, but it lags terribly. I had it set on medium settings and it worked pretty well until I tried to load bigger lots, and those took 3+ minutes to fully load and render. I looked at the minimum specs for Sims 4 and this laptop seemed to match them, and I guess it does work besides the fact that it has extremely low slow load times and rendering issues.

So I'm decided to either return it or exchange it. I went looking at posts/articles other people have made about good laptops for Sims , and this one came up first on someone's list.
    This would work out for me because it is in my price range to exchange, but like people on this thread have said, $500-$600 laptops aren't great. I just wanna know if I'm going in the right direction. If this laptop can run Sims 4 well with high settings, that'd be great. If not, then I'll obviously have to keep looking and be mindful of specs next time.

This should really teach me a lesson about how I should remember the stuff I've read/said a year ago :D
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited August 2017
    Heyo, I am back once again. I ended up getting a laptop, but it's not really working out. I pretty much rushed into buying it without looking real good at the specs and it doesn't run Sims 4 great. It can go up to high settings, but it lags terribly. I had it set on medium settings and it worked pretty well until I tried to load bigger lots, and those took 3+ minutes to fully load and render. I looked at the minimum specs for Sims 4 and this laptop seemed to match them, and I guess it does work besides the fact that it has extremely low slow load times and rendering issues.

So I'm decided to either return it or exchange it. I went looking at posts/articles other people have made about good laptops for Sims , and this one came up first on someone's list.
    This would work out for me because it is in my price range to exchange, but like people on this thread have said, $500-$600 laptops aren't great. I just wanna know if I'm going in the right direction. If this laptop can run Sims 4 well with high settings, that'd be great. If not, then I'll obviously have to keep looking and be mindful of specs next time.

This should really teach me a lesson about how I should remember the stuff I've read/said a year ago :D

I wouldn't bet on that laptop linked. You want at least an i7 HQ/MQ processor on laptop, the one you link is only an i5 U processor. 8gb ram. 960M or higher, or 1050 or higher dedicated graphic card, the one you linked is only a 940M, low end. Anything less, youre rolling the dice on that gamble, and that's what the laptop you linked would be. A gamble.. Laptops are not as powerful as desktop, therefore the min specs don't apply to laptops.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited August 2017

No, I don't think this is good enough for the game. You're still going to get serious lag with this cuz the processor is not suitable for the game. You would need a quad core one like an i7 6700HQ. The one you link has a U at the end so it's not a quadcore.

And for the graphics card, you would need something that's at least a GTX 960m or GTX 1050/1050Ti.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thank you guys. I'm just not the biggest tech person, so finding all the right requirements is difficult for me. I can take all this into consideration, it would just make my life a whole lot easier if I was rich lol.

I know there's a million other threads about what computers work best and I could look through there to get ideas of what to get, and I've seen people making custom computers. I wanna know how much that would cost, and this might sound dumb but I've never picked out custom settings, but you can get a company to build it for you? Like do I have to assemble it myself? I've seen one person say you can get a company to do it so I just want to make sure.

And I guess I'll look into desktops now because they seem like the better option.
  • Options
    Thank you guys. I'm just not the biggest tech person, so finding all the right requirements is difficult for me. I can take all this into consideration, it would just make my life a whole lot easier if I was rich lol.

I know there's a million other threads about what computers work best and I could look through there to get ideas of what to get, and I've seen people making custom computers. I wanna know how much that would cost, and this might sound dumb but I've never picked out custom settings, but you can get a company to build it for you? Like do I have to assemble it myself? I've seen one person say you can get a company to do it so I just want to make sure.

And I guess I'll look into desktops now because they seem like the better option.

You can pick out your own certified hardware and there are companies that will build the desktop for you. It is more expensive than buying a pre-built computer off the shelf.. This would run at least $1000 minimum maybe more.You would have to talk to user @chesterbigbird . She is a build expert and can help you pick out the hardware on a computer build web and the computer company can build it. Chester is on vacation and may not be able to get back to you until next week. If you click on chesterbigbird user name you can send her a PM.
  • Options
    You can pick out your own certified hardware and there are companies that will build the desktop for you. It is more expensive than buying a pre-built computer off the shelf.. This would run at least $1000 minimum maybe more.You would have to talk to user @chesterbigbird . She is a build expert and can help you pick out the hardware on a computer build web and the computer company can build it. Chester is on vacation and may not be able to get back to you until next week. If you click on chesterbigbird user name you can send her a PM.

Thank you very much! I'll be sure to ask her for help soon.

• Options

Thank you very much! I'll be sure to ask her for help soon.

Your very welcome