Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Challenge Blog: The Second Chance Prison Challenge

AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
The Second Chance Prison Challenge

This blog will be where I regularly post about the progress of my Second Chance Prison challenge. It is a personal twist of the one made by The Sim Supply, most of all because I didn't like all the fighting going on between his warden and the inmates. IMHO a warden needs to keep a professional attitude towards the people that are under their care, and that will show up in the rules that I've written in this challenge topic.

Here are the details of what I have chosen so far:

First of all about the prison. I have chosen to make a male prison, because after the 100 baby challenge I really liked a change of game. I am using twistedmexi's Full House mod and I have built myself a prison capable of holding 32 prisoners, which will be a household of 34 sims including my 2 wardens. Therefore I also choose the 64x64 Windenburg Island lot because the extra space it offers will come in very handy. For rehabilitation I use the 'normal' set of rules of 1 skill to 10 and 24 hours of good behaviour because I think handling 34 sims will be hard enough.

I have also decided I want to make full use of the 5 colors of unlocked uniforms that came with GTW, so I made 5 ranks for the prisoners, where they can deserve special permissions if they do well:
  • Orange: This is the Isolation rank. After coming out of 'the hole' a prisoner will keep this rank for 24 hours, and temporary loose all permissions they might have built up before that. After 24 hours of no repeat punishments they can get their old rank back.
  • Yellow: This is the fish rank, or the rank for new prisoners. No special permissions, proof yourself first.
  • Beige: This is the first rank with extras, it can be earned by having 1 skill at level 4 and includes access to the lounge room after dinner.
  • White: This is the second rank with extras, it can be earned by having 1 skill at level 8 and includes access to the computer room after dinner.
  • Blue: This is the release candidate rank, it can be earned by having 1 skill at level 10. After 24 hours of good behaviour within the blue rank a prisoner is considered rehabilitated.

I am also trying to keep my prisoners to some kind of simple schedule to keep everything going smooth. I wake them all up at 6:00, have them freshen up (toilet/shower) and then take them to the canteen for breakfast. After they ate that they are taken to the skill area where they can choose from a number of activities (chess, fitness, painting and woodworking) and I leave them to roam that section. This is partially because I want to see what skill they are naturally interested in, and partially because it is just not do-able to constantly tell that much sims what to do. This section also has a toilet area they can visit when needed. They can obviously also decide to just 'hang around' and talk, but that won't get them free any time soon.

At around 16:00 they are taken to the yard while the wardens start preparing dinner for everyone. I am planning to also include some gardening activities, but I'm kind of waiting for an inmate who takes a liking to that. Around 18:00 they are taken to the canteen to eat dinner. The canteen has plenty of tables for everyone to choose with whom they want to sit, as it has 16 picknick tables for 32 inmates. After dinner they are free to 'roam' that section of the prison which includes another toilet area, and also a lounge area and computer area for inmates that have earned permissions for it. Around 22:00 they are locked up in their cell and the day is over.

To allow for easy management of the doors within the sections I made a club for each of the ranks, all of them headed by the wardens, so they are never removed due to it's last member leaving. By setting all the door locks within sections to the prisoners that have access to them I can easily add a prisoner to their new rank and I don't have to (un)lock the doors for each individual. I do NOT use clubs for ANYTHING else, because I don't want any unfair advantages by getting a lot of club points. To make this system work I use the More Clubs Per Sim mod (allowing the wardens to head all of them) and the GT More Then 8 Club Members mod to make sure I can have all fishies in the same club.

Last of all, I found out that moving around a large group of sims by unlocking/relocking the door is a big pain, and having them teleport by the vanilla teleport system is an even bigger pain. Because you can easily be waiting 30 sim minutes triple checking who decided not to TP, who was sitting down at the moment the bubble activated, glitching out, and so on and so on. So I also added the Teleport Any Sim mod, which adds a 'modded' statue that you put down, and then you click the statue to choose what sim to teleport replacing it. It also includes a script that makes them stop whatever they are doing, so the TP is instant.

Only 1 problem left: How to keep the prisoner's fun level up without breaking with the general prison theme????

I also have all of these recommended mods / custom content to make the challenge work better:
Post edited by AlHollandiyah on

Comments

• Options
    Meet my wardens, Parker Warden & Paige Warden. Yes, you've seen it right. They are BLUE! Why? Because why not! The police uniform they are wearing is the GTW detective uniform, unlocked by Unlocked CAS Parts mod. The household has been uploaded in the gallery (find with my tag AlHollandiyah) due to this uniform they ended up only visible with the custom content tag, but because this is an unlocked item from GTW (and no separate copy of a GTW item) it should work just fine for anyone who has GTW without needing the mod.

Here is a screenshot of both of them, in their uniforms:

bfhsRg6.png
  • Options
    RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    They turned out nice. :smiley: Have fun!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Build is coming along nicely. I've build a facility on the 64x64 GT Island lot, and I made it with a mirrored section for males and females. Both have 10 cells and a shower area on the 2nd floor, and a kitchen/dining/bathroom area on that spot on the first floor. I have a whole line of space on the side that will hold skill areas, and another empty room the size of the complete dining area that has no destination yet. Anyone ideas? I will post some screenshots of what I have thusfar in the next post!
  • Options
    I can't wait to see your screenshots. It sounds really cool-looking! As for this: "and another empty room the size of the complete dining area that has no destination yet."... Make it into a gym/dance area? Inmates need exercise after all. Right? :smile:
  • Options
    Front side view of the prison, empty area is for the wardens house:

2bDvgyL.jpg

Top side view, from the top down to the first floor:

MoOQvww.jpg

reUUg1R.jpg

V5zuYB1.jpg

This is still a work in progress, but it's coming along nicely! Any ideas of things missing, or generally to make it even better, are most welcome!
  • Options
    Rawla wrote: »
    I can't wait to see your screenshots. It sounds really cool-looking! As for this: "and another empty room the size of the complete dining area that has no destination yet."... Make it into a gym/dance area? Inmates need exercise after all. Right? :smile:

You know, I like that idea. But generally in prison, don't you see the gym equipment in the yard? So inmates can do something else then 'hang around' in yard time? If I put the gym in a room, what could I put in the yard?
  • Options
    Well you could put the gym equipment in the yard. And 'laundry/cleaning/work stations' in the rooms? Like woodcrafting, cupcake factory, etc?
  • Options
    Yeah that sounds like an idea. I also saved the whole left and right side for 'skill' rooms. Like a painting room, a computer room (for the higher ranking inmates) and such. A woodworking room was also planned there. What other skills are there that I can make rooms for? Before I start making the rooms I need a list, so I can plan it out better!
  • Options
    Music comes to mind. From dancing, DJing, to playing instruments/writing music. Also writing books on the computer. Gardening is a nice skill. Maybe have a couple planters in the yard?
  • Options
    Oke good one, gardening. I think that is the solution. Gardening in the yard, fitness in a room, woodworking room, painting room, computer room. Computer for writing but access will be only for higher ranking inmates, as computers can also do other things, so they have to show they are trustworthy first. And maybe make the kitchen bigger and add baking machines, cupcake, ice cream, bbq. Or put those in a second specialty kitchen? Many choices to make! Dancing and dj-ing aren't stuff that I associate with a prison, prisoners might have actually got into trouble in those scenes, so I'm not planning to add those. Any other things I'm missing?
  • Options
    I can't think of anything else at the moment. But what you've just described sounds really good.
  • Options
    EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    When I think about rooms for specific tasks I go for the mood to enhance those tasks.
    Example:
    Energized / exercise equipment.
    Focused / computer skills , reading, gardening or crafting etc.
    Inspired / writing, painting or cooking.
    Playful / practicing jokes etc (Too much fun can kill a Sim.)
  • Options
    Your Wardens Parker & Paige look great ( I <3 Blue Sims ). I tried searching the Gallery on-line for AlHollandiyah and nothing shows at all.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Your Wardens Parker & Paige look great ( I <3 Blue Sims ). I tried searching the Gallery on-line for AlHollandiyah and nothing shows at all.

Due to the mod I used that unlocked career clothes (the GTW Detective Uniform) they show up only if you enable CC. Try that and you should find them? You should not need to have the mod yourself, because it's just an unlocked GTW item, and not a copy-of. Assuming you have GTW that is....
  • Options
    So here is the set up so far. Both sides are mirror images of eachother, as you can probably see.

NG8OljR.jpg

On the top you see the stairs going to the 2nd floor with the cells and shower areas that are on the screenshots posted earlier. Next to that on the top and bottom are bathrooms for daytime use. The one on the top is linked to the dining area, and next to the dining area in the top corners will be a kitchen/bakery.

On the bottom next to the bathroom area will be the gym and next to that an area with computers, only for higher ranking inmates. The 4 smaller rooms in between on the sides will be for training skills. I am not sure if I will keep it at 4 smaller ones or will convert it into 2 or 3 bigger ones, that will depend on how much room / rooms I need.

With this all made so far I have uploaded the Prison Shell Building into the gallery, which you can find with my EA tag AlHollandiyah. Unlike with the household you shouldn't need to check CC to find it.

Now all I need to do is finish the rules, freerealestate this prison (as the government hired me to run their abandoned prison, on the condition that I furnish it myself) and get going!
  • Options
    Is AlHollandiyah your EA ID, or just your forum ID? Because this is what happens when I use it to search for your things. Nothing comes up.

SEARCH
    Browse: AlHollandiyah

Sorry, nothing matched your search criteria.
  • Options
    EA ID too. I enabled custom content to find my sims back. It says I currently have 2 items in the gallery? On the website version of the gallery I can find the prison shell if I turn of "Maxis Curated" under Advanced, but I don't have an option to include CC tagged stuff, so I can't find the household there. From in game you should be able to find both if you tick the CC option on (for the household).

Y1HY1dK.png
  • Options
    After the feedback from EuphorialQueen I have altered my prison a bit. It felt a bit too crammed having 10 cells on both sides and 5 toilets in each bathroom, so I changed it to 8 cells on both sides and 4 toilets in each bathroom. This meant I could make the prison cells a bit bigger, which also fits the minimum security / rehabilitation theme a bit better. This updated prison is now on my gallery for everyone who wants to download it! Here are two screenshots of the new layout, with some explanation.

First Floor:

WGgipGz.jpg

Each side is divided into 3 sections, each section has a hallway with doors to the several rooms that prisoners can access there, and each section also has a bathroom with 1 toilet for every 2 prisoners. The top section the dining/kitchen area, the side section is the activity area, and the bottom section is the sports/computer area for the higher ranking prisoners who have shown good behaviour and have earned some trust.

Second Floor:

iDuES8s.jpg

On the bottom row there are 8 3x4 cells with windows for each gender, on the outside there are 2 2x5 separation cells without windows. The bathroom has 8 shower 'cells' in the middle and will have toilets on the side.
  • Options
    Rawla wrote: »
    Is AlHollandiyah your EA ID, or just your forum ID? Because this is what happens when I use it to search for your things. Nothing comes up.
    SEARCH
    Browse: AlHollandiyah
    Sorry, nothing matched your search criteria.
    I too had this issue. Zero results for the online gallery. Do you have other things in the gallery? It is unfortunate there is no option to look for CC tagged items in the Internet gallery.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I too had this issue. Zero results for the online gallery. Do you have other things in the gallery? It is unfortunate there is no option to look for CC tagged items in the Internet gallery.

Only the (CC marked) household and the prison shell building. But the latter does show up on the website gallery if you disable "Maxis Curated" under Advanced, because I don't use any build/buy CC. I do have all the packs tho, so I am not sure which packs are used in the build. But that's easy to fix by replacing missing wallpapers e.d. with the ones you do own.
  • Options
    I changed my Larger Household Mod to Full House Mod by Twisted Mexi. The latter has an option to delete sims which isn't possible in the first, and has households up to 24 sims instead of 20. The only major downside, although not for this challenge, is that try for baby won't work, which is possible in the first mod. But we don't want babies in prison, so for now we are fine! This does mean I have to largely rebuild my prison, because it has to be able to house 22 prisoners. Yes, I can stick to vanilla and consider an 8 sim household 'full'. but I want to take this to the max. So back to the drawing board. Which isn't a punishment because I love building!
  • Options
    RecursiveAcronymRecursiveAcronym Posts: 41 Member
    I can't wait to see the new design! The old design was already pretty mesmerizing, once I distinguished what was what. Everything looked really solid. Do you know what each of the skill rooms are going to be? And are both sides going to have identical skills available, or are you going to mix it up? Either way, 22 prisoners sounds hectic. I'd be hesitant to try it out myself, but I can't wait to see you play it out.
    Recursive%20Acronym%20Sims%20Banner_zpsmhx4ohyu.png
  • Options
    I can't wait to see the new design! The old design was already pretty mesmerizing, once I distinguished what was what. Everything looked really solid. Do you know what each of the skill rooms are going to be? And are both sides going to have identical skills available, or are you going to mix it up? Either way, 22 prisoners sounds hectic. I'd be hesitant to try it out myself, but I can't wait to see you play it out.

Keep an eye on my gallery, I post WIP builds once in a while. The one currently on it is one I like very much as far as the cell department, but the bottom floor will be changed up pretty much as I don't like the current corridors. Having 22 prisoners does sound very hectic and I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret it, but having 22 spots doesn't mean I have to keep 22 around at all time. And hey, it's a challenge. I've seen my fair share of 8 sim households in the 100 baby challenge, so I want to up the notch a bit for myself.
    @AlHollandiyah Have you had an opportunity to play test this challenge yet?

I am probably going to test some of the stuff today, and iron out any bugs in the rules before I start for real. Do you have any points of which you think "you should really test that because I'm not sure if that works well enough"? I can't test each and every detail before officially starting the challenge, but should I encounter anything during the real challenge I will of course update the topic accordingly.
  • Options
    RecursiveAcronymRecursiveAcronym Posts: 41 Member
    > @EuphorialQueen said:
    > @RecursiveAcronym Love your profile name. :+1:

Thanks so much! It's kinda a bit of lateral wordplay off my real name, but also when I looked it up the concept was so cool I couldn't resist using it.

> @AlHollandiyah said:
    > Keep an eye on my gallery, I post WIP builds once in a while. The one currently on it is one I like very much as far as the cell department, but the bottom floor will be changed up pretty much as I don't like the current corridors. Having 22 prisoners does sound very hectic and I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret it, but having 22 spots doesn't mean I have to keep 22 around at all time. And hey, it's a challenge. I've seen my fair share of 8 sim households in the 100 baby challenge, so I want to up the notch a bit for myself.

I'll check on it from time to time. And I guess by the design of the challenge, it does kinda force you to start small based on what stuff you can afford, so at least you're transitioning in rather than jumping in headfirst, so that helps. But that does kinda raise the question: where do you get more money from? Like, you have the government stipend, but that's mainly to pay the bills, right? I guess you can sell all the stuff from the prisoners, but it kinda limits the skills you want to have, and it almost incentivizes you to keep high-level prisoners around to make more money, though that's mostly more of an issue with the optional challenge with two skills, I guess.
    Recursive%20Acronym%20Sims%20Banner_zpsmhx4ohyu.png