Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• Options
    RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    Keep them coming guys this is such an interesting discussion. I realised I never actually offered my viewpoint!

I really like The Sims 3 worlds, but I think I prefer The Sims 4 sims. Whats nice about it though is they aren't going to go away; both games can live in harmony and theres nothing I love more than being able to switch between them I think its very exciting to have that option :)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    TS3 wins, and the art style of TS4 was exactly what turned me off about the game. I couldn't get past the soft, flat, bright look of the game.

BUT I do realize that the brighter style of simming has been popular for a while now, and there's a valid reason to like TS4 because of its style. Though I don't understand why everything looks so soft and blurry, since every TS4 player I know that's looking to take pretty screenshots either sharpens them or uses SweetFX. And sharp images have been popular for a while now.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    TS3 wins, and the art style of TS4 was exactly what turned me off about the game. I couldn't get past the soft, flat, bright look of the game.

BUT I do realize that the brighter style of simming has been popular for a while now, and there's a valid reason to like TS4 because of its style. Though I don't understand why everything looks so soft and blurry, since every TS4 player I know that's looking to take pretty screenshots either sharpens them or uses SweetFX. And sharp images have been popular for a while now.

My guess was they initially wanted to take your attention away from the surrounding fake homes and backdrops. Being out of focus helps with that. The first mod I sought was one to get rid of the Depth of Field effect. Windenburg feels larger, so I don't pay as much attention to the falseness surrounding the active areas.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    The actual Sims in Sims 4 are better than in Sims 3, but I prefer the world details and realism from Sims 3 over Sims 4.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

My guess was they initially wanted to take your attention away from the surrounding fake homes and backdrops. Being out of focus helps with that. The first mod I sought was one to get rid of the Depth of Field effect. Windenburg feels larger, so I don't pay as much attention to the falseness surrounding the active areas.

True, but even blurry furniture? Blurry sims? Backdrops I can sort of forgive, but the stuff up close doesn't need to maintain an illusion.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    This may sound a bit weird, but I do like the... texture, I guess it is? I like the texture of furniture in Sims 4. On high quality, it looks very sharp and that's appealing to me, particularly the wood (dressers, for example). But that's really it. Not enough to say I like the graphics overall.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    I think Sims 4 is far more beautiful than 3 and I definitely prefer it. I love the softer style and how some things almost look painted, like the ocean waters in Windenburg.
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

True, but even blurry furniture? Blurry sims? Backdrops I can sort of forgive, but the stuff up close doesn't need to maintain an illusion.

Probably to run on laptops not designed for demanding games.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    ianxziianxzi Posts: 723 Member
    As much as I adored TS3, I think I prefer TS4.
    TS3 had beautiful worlds, but the sims were sooo ugly. TS4 has beautiful worlds too, and the sims look great as well!
    At first I thought I would hate the look of TS4 because of how cartoony it is, but I actually like it a lot more now than the somewhat realistic look of TS3 :)
    original.gif
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Hmmm... good question.

I really like the style of Sims 4 in general. I like the bright colours and I think the FX team do a great job of making the worlds really beautiful. I prefer Sims 4 sims to any other because of the realistic bone structure and the diversity I can give them.

TS3 could look really beautiful too, and I did tend towards darker terrain and lighting/water files. I liked when the worlds looked quite realistic. But I prefer TS4 sims.

My only complaint is that some TS4 objects can be lacking in detail, and I'd prefer a bit more shape to the meshes (some can be very boxy). The upside of this is that they don't create as much lag. I think this is improving as the game progresses though, the more recent content seems more detailed than the earlier content.

It would be nice to see some darker themes sometimes, maybe a world with grittier less cartoony colours for a bit of diversity. But in general I'm happy with the art style of TS4.

I think both games have their positives and negatives.
  • Options
    BOYBOY Posts: 540 Member
    sims 4 hands down.
    Fairies & real Plantsims please!
  • Options
    keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    I prefer the sims 4 worlds, but I still think the sims 3 worlds are beautiful and I like them both almost equally. :)
  • Options
    ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited February 2016
    I absolutely LOVE The Sims 4 style much better. I think it definitely suits the game better. 3 was much too realistic looking for me and I wasn't excited about 3 as much as I was about 4. I think 4 is very beautiful in terms in smoothness especially on the Sims themselves. I hated how every single piece of "fabric" in 3 looked extremely plasticy and I love that 4 actually has the right textures to things like sweaters, in that aspect they feel a lot more real than 3. I'm also not a fan of the stringy/feathery hair in 3 but I'm not really a fan of the extremely leafy hair of some of the styles in 4.

The landscaping in 4 is also a lot more lush and fuller in my opinion. Every single inch of the neighborhood is full of life and greenery whether it's bushes or a pathway or a flower. Everything in 4 is so bright and colorful and lively. I really love that about a game. 3 felt so barren to me, I wasn't a fan of it, it almost made it feel kinda lonely at points. I do miss, though, how in 3 when you grabbed a plant and placed it and the next one would be of varying size and on a different angle than the one before it.

So, both games had their pros but 4 has much more than 3 for me, I guess I just wasn't a fan of the super realistic look they were trying to go for. Especially when many of the textures just didn't work. 4 might be my favorite~ :3
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Both have their merits.

I love the worlds of TS3, the textures and the ability to customize it all as I want to. While I do find the worlds of TS4 lovely, and suit the game as a whole I still prefer the look of TS3 worlds, some of them were simply stunning.

But I love the sims of TS4 and just can't go back to any other iteration for very long before I quit out and go make some more TS4 sims.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    I found Sims 3 worlds to be absolutely stunning - especially user made ones.
    tumblr_n6hzf1S9iY1s0afdro4_1280.png
    tumblr_static_tumblr_static_c5472jpdb7s4cs0cg8wwsg0g4_640.jpg

Something about them feels so cozy and really reels me in. Sims 4 worlds are getting better but overall I'm hoping for a CAW tool. Don't want to depend on EA for worlds, especially since I know I'll never get my Silent Hill one.

With Sims 4 I really love how the sims look. So I prefer that over Sims 3. However, I think my biggest gripe with Sims 4 graphics are the textures for some things like the food. Or how the grass and the clouds look. Just not my style I suppose.

That second world is absolutely beautiful and so is the first actually, would you happen to know where you got them from? :)
  • Options
    rebeccarebecca Posts: 62 Member
    the sims 3 because of how beautiful i could make my sims will all my custom content hair and makeup. but the lag defeats the purpose of all of that and now i only open that game to play a legacy i've had for 2 years. i just don't like how cartoony ts4 is, and i can only download cartoony like hairs because i don't want everyone to have different hair textures lol #thestruggle :(
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    KatsKats wrote: »
    I prefer Sims 4, mostly because Sims 3 Sims looked so doughy. Sims 2, it's hard to compare now because those are old graphics. Great at the time, but so out of date now.

I dunno... if you allow for the continued updates in CC from the active TS2 community, I think comparisons are still fair. There is so much variety in style allowed for TS2, so even if you're not a maxis match fan (like myself) you can still find the CC to create a sim that suits you, and moreover the TS2 world can be made to complement that style. I think that's an important point because realistic style doesn't look right in TS4 which may ruin game play for some players. I have no idea how changing styles for sims looks in TS3.

TS2 vs TS3 vs TS4 (based on styles and themes)
    Sim Furries:
    ts2ts3ts4_catsims.jpg

Sim Smokes
    ts2ts3ts4_smoke.jpg

Sim Aliens
    ts2ts3ts4_alien.jpg

Sim Realism (Celeb Match)
    ts2ts3ts4_celebmatch.jpg
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    I prefer Sims 4. Love the bright vibrancy of the worlds. And I love the look of the sims. First version where I haven't felt compelled to use cc on my sims.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

That second world is absolutely beautiful and so is the first actually, would you happen to know where you got them from? :)

First one is HERE
    Seconds one I believe was just showcasing a mod for the flowers you see, either way it's HERE
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    petalbot wrote: »
    This is very much a matter of personal preference. For me, I prefer the Sims 3 graphic style. I prefer the level of realism in the graphics of sims 3. For me the graphics of the Sims 3 are balanced. It is real without being too real, cartoony without being too cartoony. I think graphics style is a contributing factor to immersion in a game like the Sims. I will try to illustrate what I mean.

I create for both the Sims 3 and 4 without any CC. The first picture is from a gothic styled home I'm building for the goth family.

gothyard4.jpg

This picture picture just sucks me right in. The grass has texture, the trees have tree bark, etc. It feels so natural without being jarringly real.

These are pics from a couple houses I made in sims 4.

out2.jpg

paint.jpg

While pretty, it doesn't pull me in the way sims 3 does. It is too cartoony to do that for me, I guess, in other words I can't relate to it as well. The rocks are unnatural in shape and texture. I feel as if I could walk up to one of those rocks, as if it would be made of plastic or paper mache, hollow inside, I could pick it up, throw it and it would blow away in a strong wind. The grass is unnatural in both texture and color, the trees trunks are unnaturally smooth and painted. It is a fake very cartoon world.

Maybe I would be able to get into TS4 graphics style a little more if it were not for the cardboardish 2d backdrops in the background beyond the immediate scenery of the lots, that to me is very jarring, and I think it is also the reason for the heavy use of blur (to try and blend it in with the scenery that you can interact with). One other thing that also really jars me is that the clouds basically scroll across the screen in a horizontal motion. Despite having a not very natural look, the move with a disturbing unnatural motion.

Gorgeous. Love TS3 worlds :love: Do you focus on building or do you focus on sim play? I'd like to see if you focus on gameplay in live mode what your sims look like in those environments you've created.
  • Options
    SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    TS4's art style is definitely better. With The Sims 3, it looked realistic, yes, but at times it would go into the uncanny valley, and it'd be very creepy to me. Plus, The Sims 4's colors are better, in my opinion.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • Options
    greenmorekgreenmorek Posts: 63 Member
    Has to be the sims 4. I go back to play the sims 3 and now it just feels weird and the lighting in the sims 3 is awful so are the shadows.
    nOw9z6f.gif
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    The Sims 3 definitely has some amazing looking worlds. At this point, I'd have to give that edge to the Sims 3. The Sims 4 has nice worlds too, especially Windenburg, but the Sims 3 also has the added bonus of more variety in its worlds at the moment, on top of them being so great.

As far as the Sims themselves are concerned, the Sims 4 hands down is better to me. I'm not saying it's impossible to make good looking Sims in it because I've seen many great looking Sims made by people, but many Sims I've made, and NPCs, have had that kind of same looking face going on. Like some have called it, "pudding face". Not a big fan of that.