Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which graphic style do you prefer Sims 3 or 4?

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I prefer TS3's more detailed meshes. TS4's objects are too blocky.
    I wish TS4 had more realistic skies and clouds and grass and tree bark textures. I mainly like TS4's sims.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 2016
    I do like Sims 4 graphics and it was natural to improve on the graphics part and one of the options that evolutinised whereas other major options just went backwards.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Piperbird wrote: »
    Why would people want plastic, fake, cartoons over Sims that look like real people?

Simple.

It's a preference/taste thing. No one thinks the same, or likes the same things.

Some of us like our cartoons and anime, etc. *points at my own anime avatar*

~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Why would people want plastic, fake, cartoons over Sims that look like real people?

Simple.

It's a preference/taste thing. No one thinks the same, or likes the same things.

I love anime, too. But what I mean is, the cartoony Sims don't seem to match to the blurry back grounds. It is two different styled that don't seem to go well together. It just doesn't feel right to me when I play.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Hmmm, real looking sims takes away from Sims feeling awkward, quirky or funny IMHO. However it would be interesting to see a demo with real looking Sims, I try anything the first time around.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Simple.

Show me a person who looks like a TS3 sim and I'll show you a prime candidate for plastic surgery. TS2 and TS4 sims can be made to look like real people, can TS3 do this?

TS3 doesn't look real at all. Instead it looks unnatural. If "real" is what the game is going for, perhaps that is why TS3 sims always take me to uncanny valley. :fearful:
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    I like the attention to detail in TS3. Especially when it comes to the world, objects, and environments.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    I like 3 better. 4 just seems sort of blurry, all the scenery looks hazy or out of focus. To me, the Sims themselves looks like cartoons. They make the most ridiculous faces, like Jim Carey in the Mask. I can't get past that. The ridiculous walks, the townies doing non-stop push ups in my yard, the entire game looks like it belongs on Cartoon Network. I don't feel like I am a part of my creations, I feel like I should be eating marshmallow cereal while playing. I keep expecting hearts to beat out of their chests, or smoke to come out of their ears. The TS3 'pudding face' argument for baffles me. Why would people want plastic, fake, cartoons over Sims that look like real people?

If I could add TS4 build mode to TS3, I'd never play TS4 again.

No smoke, but there is steam occasionally...

759b0411eb.png

I love the sims 4 art style, especially the sim. The only thing I might change would be a reduction in distance blur, maybe make the furniture less chunky and also add the swatch system from Sims 2 (at least) - just to give more choice. I like the new hair and the new way of moulding in CAS.

I miss a couple of the build tools, but overall I've found it much easier to build this time around because of the whole room based system and ability to add foundations later (I always forgot to do them in the past).

I don't play 3 (I have base + 3 expansions, I think - but they aren't installed) but I do still play Sims 2 sometimes (I use CC and mods in that game and play in a combined megahood).
  • KaattrrinneeKaattrrinnee Posts: 101 Member
    This is such a good question. I haven't played TS4 much at all, but I must say I am stunned by the look of the towns and the landscape in that game. I like how the background is getting unfocused, it makes everything more comfortable to look at. And I love all the colors. I think I also like the sims better with the TS4 look. I feel like there are so much you can do to make different-looking sims. But I don't have much against TS3 graphics or sims either. I like the towns and the landscape, and I have nothing against the sims (although I agree on the randomizing mentioned here. They look so weird sometimes). It's a hard question, I feel like it's two completely different games in the graphics, and so I find it a bit difficult to compare them. There are some pros and cons about both, I guess.

But I wonder how Bridgeport or Isla Paradiso would look like with TS4 graphics...? :astonished:
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I find that 2, 3 and 4 all have their own style and there are things about each that I like. TS2 is the odd and quirky one for me and I love the way they look......without any CC. TS3 has, in my opinion, the most beautiful worlds. I think these Sims do need some CC at times but I've made some pretty attractive Sims without it. I really do like TS4 Sims and I love making them in CAS but I also think the whole game lacks textures and detail and makes the game look cheap and unfinished.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    I MUCH prefer the textures of the towns and objects in TS3. And worlds like Sunlit Tides and Monte Vista can take my breath away. The towns in TS4 are okay but they lack the depth and realism of the ones in TS3.

While I had no problem making Sims in TS3 that looked the way I wanted them to (never understood the "pudding face" complaint), I do think the Sims in TS4 are much more expressive and fun. I wish there was a way they could have combined the more realistic faces with the great expressiveness.
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Sims 4 wins, hands down. The comical style with a little bit of realism really fits for a sims games. The Sims 3 suffers the same issue that most games with realistic textures have. The people look really weird and off and lighting is usually screwed up. I love the art style with 4 and the sims are spectacular. And over the past year we've seen it get better and better.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I like TS3 so much better when it comes to the more realistic graphics it has, but TS4 is still really beautiful in its own, cartoonish way.
    Honestly, my ideal TS would be TS4's CAS and Build/Buy mode with upgraded TS3-styled graphics. <3 . <3
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Definitely 4... I opened the game and wowed... and continued to wow when I left CAS. I still think its beautiful as my sim jogs around and goes places. I couldn't get to like the graphic style in the short time I played Sims 3. I couldn't get use to the way the sims looked, although I did like the houses, town area and the way the shadows moved (that stuck out at me at that time).
    egTcBMc.png
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I really really like The Sims 4 art style and I really really don't like The Sims art 3 style. One of the main reasons why I skipped TS3 was that I didn't like how the sims looked.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    In the previous games they always went more with realistic graphics and textures. I prefer that to the cartoonish world and objects we have now. I don't mind how the sims look in 4, but the objects and hair are just horrendous. The world looks like your playing with 2D textures. It's vibrant looking, but textures are just awful. What's worse is that some textures are detailed and some are totally not. It's sad that TS2 objects look better than the ones in this game. Don't even get me started on the size of thing. Didn't know a towel or curtains were supposed to stick out 10 feet from the wall.
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I prefer Sims 4, mostly because Sims 3 Sims looked so doughy. Sims 2, it's hard to compare now because those are old graphics. Great at the time, but so out of date now.
  • Michelle101333Michelle101333 Posts: 39 Member
    TS4 all the way. At first I really didn't know about the cartoon-y style but now I can't go back to Sims 4, the graphics and sims bug me way too much.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I dunno. I think the detailing in S4 is really starting to shine through. I love this little onesie because of the detail. The "pilling" of the fabric makes it look like it is a well-worn, well-loved outfit.

02-21-16_11-04-02nbspAM_zps31m23wpg.png
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    I shall be one of your awkward people. I like each of the graphics for a variety of reasons. I like TS3's graphics for the worlds, but the shininess of objects that shouldn't be shiny can drive me loopy. I like the way the sims look in TS4 but the world's don't always appeal.
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I liked TS3, but I love TS4.

02-18-16_3-51-52%2525C2%2525A0PM.png

02-19-16_12-46-00%2525C2%2525A0AM.png
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sims 4. I adore the little sim kids : )

02_21_16_3_24_07_PM.png

Post edited by Sofmc9 on
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sims 3 because I cannot play Sims 4 without thinking of preschool cartoons. It resembles that pirate cartoon on Disney Junior.

I was playing Sims 3 last night and went scuba diving for the first time. I was blown away by how beautiful the undersea looks. No world in Sims 4 has ever looked beautiful to me like that.

Every time I see pictures of scenery from Sims 4, I cringe and think "That's Dora the Explorer, right?" Those worlds could be beautiful, but the cartoon graphics just ruin it. They look nice, but not beautiful.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2016
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I dunno. I think the detailing in S4 is really starting to shine through. I love this little onesie because of the detail. The "pilling" of the fabric makes it look like it is a well-worn, well-loved outfit.

02-21-16_11-04-02nbspAM_zps31m23wpg.png

Aw same here. : ) I really like the detail of the onesie.