Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Player first impression

hi there, I'm a long term sims player played each edition and 99% of the expac's.

I have stalled buying S4 mostly I have to be honest the price put me off and I couldn't just justify the cost for what on the surface just looked like i'd lose content/be able to do less compared to my beloved S3.

I finally got a copy on sale now the price as come down and seemed more reasonable and thus far I've played an hour. Which isn't very much I grant you. But I HUGE turnoff point for me is the size of the world? there is a tiny little map, I'm one of those crazy players who likes to build a few key families and watch my world grow from the decedents.

My biggest game was S2 where I played the same map for 5 years..and had over 300 sims all decended from the first 4 families in some way (No townie partners allowed) .. however I can't see with this edition how I'm even going to have room for 4 families children never mind grandchildren. I think I read I can have multiple worlds? but there are only a couple of maps in the base game is there a limit on the number of maps or is that unlimited?

Am I missing something?? Also am I right in thinking there is no sort of story progression in this game?? That was a great feature in S3 I will really miss it if its gone :(

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    You are correct. The worlds are tiny and there's no story progression. No, there's not an unlimited number of maps, only the ones included by EA/Maxis.

The world size is one of the many reasons why I went back to TS3. I had fun with TS4 for a while but once I got back into TS3 I forgot how much is missing and how much more you can do in 3. I have a very love hate relationship with this new iteration lol
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    You can live and travel between every world in sims 4 in one save. You are not restricted to one world like in previous titles.
  • Options
    YungGigiYungGigi Posts: 1,083 Member
    The expansion packs add additional worlds. Windenburg came from Get Together and Promenade came with Get To Work. Not sure where New Crest came from but yea there's a total of 5 I believe you can have currently. But I agree they are fairly small. I haven't had a problem with space personally because I only rotate the same couple families.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Yes, you can travel between neighborhoods however you are stuck waiting for EA/Maxis to provide new neighborhoods and also you are stuck with lots that are static and in some cases have the ability to go from one neighborhood is not enough because the neighborhoods are static.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    sims4evasims4eva Posts: 76 Member
    I haven't had a problem with Simming the way you are. Granted, I've never made it past third generation, but you should just have less kids instead. Your sims are going through a population crisis, just like we are in the real world! I mean, that's my viewpoint and I find it slightly realistic, but it kind of sucks too.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    There are 3 worlds in the base game- Willow Creek, Oasis Springs, and Newcrest. Magnolia Promenade came with the Get to Work expansion pack and Windenburg came with the Get Together expansion pack. There is also a vacation-only world (unless you use a certain mod) that came with the Outdoor Retreat game pack called Granite Falls.
    Currently the only story progression is aging (if you have it enabled for unplayed sims), career changes, and relationships being made. If you want more than that and aren't opposed to using mods, I would highly suggest looking at MC Command Center. It is very similar to the NRass mods for Sims 3.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Welcome to the Sims 4 and forums. Yeah the MC Command Center mod is really great.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    leielaleiela Posts: 7 New Member
    ok so I've loaded it up and I can see I have 3 maps with the base game, I know it's sad but I went and counted the lots that's just 46! ... ok so I can in theory him 46 families going at once, that's tight but manageable,,, I'm not loving it but hey hoo.

Next problem ... colours ... sounds stupid but am I correct in thinking I can only customise an item by the small set of pre-set colours for the item? In Sims3 you had all sorts of customisations, you could take a counter and paint each side any shade you wanted and give it any pattern you wanted. I'm trying to decorate my sims first home and I can';t see a pre-set counter which matches the walls/floor I chose. I'm I doomed to have ugly counters that don't match?
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Wow, 300 Sims!! That's awesome!!

(Let's not tell the new person about culling. We don't want to scare her off.)
  • Options
    leiela wrote: »
    ok so I've loaded it up and I can see I have 3 maps with the base game, I know it's sad but I went and counted the lots that's just 46! ... ok so I can in theory him 46 families going at once, that's tight but manageable,,, I'm not loving it but hey hoo.

Next problem ... colours ... sounds stupid but am I correct in thinking I can only customise an item by the small set of pre-set colours for the item? In Sims3 you had all sorts of customisations, you could take a counter and paint each side any shade you wanted and give it any pattern you wanted. I'm trying to decorate my sims first home and I can';t see a pre-set counter which matches the walls/floor I chose. I'm I doomed to have ugly counters that don't match?
    Yeah the worlds are small and it does get tight. It used to be only two neighborhoods, but one got patched in. Yep the colors are limited too. Counters come with different counter types, but yes there are preset colors for them. When it comes to design and customization and size, the Sims 4 is small in those areas. Enjoy figuring out how life stages got limited too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member

Unfortunately yes. There is no colour wheel or create-a-pattern in The Sims 4. You're stuck with a few options per item.
  • Options
    hmm..... wow ok so how is this considered an 'upgrade' or 'progression' from previous versions of the game. I've yet to find a feature which I've thought 'wow that's new and cool'
  • Options
    hmm..... wow ok so how is this considered an 'upgrade' or 'progression' from previous versions of the game. I've yet to find a feature which I've thought 'wow that's new and cool'
    Build mode and CAS are probably the highlights of the game. But yeah I wonder that everyday.
  • Options

You won't find any. The Sims all have the same personalities. There is no color wheel. There are no toddlers. There is nothing for teens to do. Base game not nearly as good as base game of Sims 3. With that being said, I'm really enjoying Get Together expansion. It helps a lot!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    imhappy wrote: »

You won't find any. The Sims all have the same personalities. There is no color wheel. There are no toddlers. There is nothing for teens to do. Base game not nearly as good as base game of Sims 3. With that being said, I'm really enjoying Get Together expansion. It helps a lot!
    Yeah I'd recommend Get Together too. It really feels like it expands the AI of the Sims more and makes them appear a bit smarter. The club system is a progression feature plus the neighborhood is bigger than the base game hoods and really pretty.
  • Options
    > @imhappy said:
    > leiela wrote: »
    >
    > hmm..... wow ok so how is this considered an 'upgrade' or 'progression' from previous versions of the game. I've yet to find a feature which I've thought 'wow that's new and cool'
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You won't find any. The Sims all have the same personalities. There is no color wheel. There are no toddlers. There is nothing for teens to do. Base game not nearly as good as base game of Sims 3. With that being said, I'm really enjoying Get Together expansion. It helps a lot!

omg what did toddlers do!!!!!!! they where always my favorite life stage teaching them to walk was cute!
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member

That is because you are expecting it to be like the Sims 3, it isn't and that is not a bad thing. If you prefer Sims 3 then that is where you should stay. For those of us like me who hated Sims 3 and no interest in things like CASt ( I found it tedious and lagging} or Open world with rabbit holes, we like the Sims 4 and it is a significant upgrade for us. I don't want the game to play my families and so I didn't like story progression either. It is fine if you prefer Sims 3, but you don't need to put down Sims 4 just because it doesn't appeal to the way you like to play.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    imhappy wrote: »

The sims have NOT all the same personalities. I play various sims and they are all different
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @leiela, if you can give us a sense of how you play - one household? generationally? multiple households? deviant stories or reality-based? do you like to collect and achieve or do you tend to ignore that side of the game? - we can help you find the ways this game tends to work for that, and mods that might help make it work better.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    According to the gurus, we didn't play with them enough in Sims 3. There are many threads devoted to our sadness about the lack of toddlers.
  • Options
    HermaiHermai Posts: 366 Member
    > @leiela said:
    > hmm..... wow ok so how is this considered an 'upgrade' or 'progression' from previous versions of the game. I've yet to find a feature which I've thought 'wow that's new and cool'

----------------
    The emotions are kinda nice, the CAS is also very nice and building is less of a pain now.
    Too bad that came at the cost of beloved gameplay features and severe limitation of the world creation.

The game IS fun, but it really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth after playing it, because it feels so priced. If you want to have more placed to build on and expand your world, you HAVE to buy EPs.
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited February 2016

Wait until you start experimenting with traits - they affect very little and sim A.I. is dire - you will see then how much of a backwards step this game is.
  • Options
    Try to play with emotions and the multitasking and watch the facial impressions of the sims. They are much more alive than in sims 3
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    TheSimer wrote: »
    Try to play with emotions and the multitasking and watch the facial impressions of the sims. They are much more alive than in sims 3
    Not more alive. Just more cartoony and exaggerated. It's a different approach.
    They are more alive. Sims 3 sims looked like robots with their stuttering animations and missing facial impressions. The sims could be angry, sad or happy, they all looked the same