Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When a Sim moves to a new home with their relic collection

I'm planning to build a new home for my household and move them into it. They have a large relic collection on display in their old home. I'm wondering about two things:
1. If I use the "pack all furniture and take it with you" option, will the display cases and relics also be packed into the family inventory?
2. If so, will the relics still be inside the display cases when I drag them out of the inventory in the new home?
I suppose the answer to both questions is probably yes, but I wanted to check just to be on the safe side. My explorer Sim worked very hard for those relics!

Comments

• Options
    KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I suspect that the display cases and relics will be packed up with the rest of the things. However, generally when things are packed, any items in them are packed separately. I haven't dealt with relics, but when a crib with a bear is packed, they are packed separately. I've had the same thing happen with other items as well.

That being said, I've found that if I really care about an item, I put it in the family inventory *before* I have the family move. That way I know that it's going to be where I want it to be.
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Thank you, @KatAnubis ! I thought about putting them in the family inventory myself and that's probably what I'll end up doing, but I kind of liked the idea of leaving a copy of all the relics behind so that whichever random townie family moves in after my sims gets a house full of relics (and I know that when you choose "pack all the furniture" a copy of everything gets left behind).
  • Options
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    Thank you, @KatAnubis ! I thought about putting them in the family inventory myself and that's probably what I'll end up doing, but I kind of liked the idea of leaving a copy of all the relics behind so that whichever random townie family moves in after my sims gets a house full of relics (and I know that when you choose "pack all the furniture" a copy of everything gets left behind).

That's interesting, as whenever I've "packed all furniture", when I've saved the house afterward it's been empty. However, when I tried that it was before I used the superpatch, so perhaps something in a later EP's patch allowed that to happen. (Until I had an upgrade to my computer, I only had one patch past WA because I didn't want some of the things that came with later EPs. But the incremental install no longer worked when I had to install the game onto the upgraded computer.) I'll have to try that sometime to see what happens!

• Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    > @KatAnubis said:

> That's interesting, as whenever I've "packed all furniture", when I've saved the house afterward it's been empty.

Interesting! I read somewhere (possibly on this forum) that the furniture gets copied, and then I tested it myself: I had my Sim buy once again the little one-person houseboat she had started the game in (she became very rich in the meantime), and visit it. All her things were there, although she had packed them when she moved. Even the photos she took were on the walls, although they are also on the walls of her new home. That was kind of eerie!

I only started playing The Sims 3 this year, so I have the latest patch.
    It actually makes sense for the game to do this, because an empty house with no furniture is useless - townies aren't smart enough to buy their own furniture!
  • Options
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    > @KatAnubis said:

> That's interesting, as whenever I've "packed all furniture", when I've saved the house afterward it's been empty.

Interesting! I read somewhere (possibly on this forum) that the furniture gets copied, and then I tested it myself: I had my Sim buy once again the little one-person houseboat she had started the game in (she became very rich in the meantime), and visit it. All her things were there, although she had packed them when she moved. Even the photos she took were on the walls, although they are also on the walls of her new home. That was kind of eerie!

I only started playing The Sims 3 this year, so I have the latest patch.
    It actually makes sense for the game to do this, because an empty house with no furniture is useless - townies aren't smart enough to buy their own furniture!

That's good to know. I haven't looked since I had to reinstall and use the superpatch. I had previously avoided patches and only done incremental patch install (but it didn't work that time.) New things may have changed with later EPs than WA. I figured that the townies just got the furniture that the house originally came with. But having the furniture that I want it to have would be nice, since that way I could upload a previous house to the library rather than having to fix it up every time I start a new game. (I really like one of the starter houses in Sunset Valley, but I don't like the furniture in it, so I always have to change things when I put a new family in it. It's the Monotone.)