Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC Hair is shiny looking like plastic

Usually when I have cc hair for my women, they look like this...tumblr_nloo2bjPis1qe2idco3_1280.png
But... I see other people with cc hair and it looks like this...tumblr_static_tumblr_static_3fh0y6akppmo0oc0og08s00k4_640.png
My problem is why is my cc hairs shiny and plastic looking? How do I fix that? Can someone please help me, this happens in CAS and game mode.

tumblr_nm1mkrBH4m1ruagyno5_1280.jpg

~tasteofsweetness - Living the Simming Life since late 2000 Sims 3~
Christmas Cheer ~ Holiday Vibes

Comments

• Options
    MySimselfMySimself Posts: 29 Member
    Mine looks like that to but only with certain hairs :) i think it's just the way the artist has made it to give of a sleek look if I'm wrong you can always raise your graphic settings and see if that helps
  • Options
    tasteofsweetnesstasteofsweetness Posts: 131 Member
    MySimself wrote: »
    If I'm wrong you can always raise your graphic settings and see if that helps

I will try that. But in the creator notes of the hair I got it says turn laptop mode off, should I? I am using a Windows laptop but it won't crash anything right?

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    whats your graphic card? and how high is your setting for sims detail?
  • Options
    tasteofsweetnesstasteofsweetness Posts: 131 Member
    edited June 2015
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    whats your graphic card? and how high is your setting for sims detail?

I'm not sure what my graphic card is. But, I have laptop mode off and graphics on custom. When I turn laptop mode on it changes to low graphics, should I turn laptop mode on and make the graphic settings high?

• Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited June 2015
    I know there's a feature to get that look in Sims 4 Studio, which is what some people use to make cc. If it's only recent then maybe lots of people you got cc from are just adjusting the shine that way, at least if it's available to use on hair as well as clothing (the only application I've seen so far). Theoretically if that's the case you should also be able to fix that using the same program.
  • Options
    PaxMoonyPaxMoony Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2015
    Okay. I had this problem too, and I just fixed it for my game.

When I first imported the CC into my game, it looked fine, but when I came back to it a few days later, the hair looked just like those pictures you posted. (As a matter of fact, I have both of those hairs.)

I tweaked the graphics settings. I cranked up the graphics to ultra, and adjusted my resolution.

Try this and see if it works, and if not, I'll tweak around until I found what I did that fixed my problem. I'll let you know how to get your game back to normal.

I promise you, it's not the textures that the CC creators are making. It's all about the graphics settings in-game :)
  • Options
    sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    The CC hair in my game changed to be plastic looking when I tried changing my lighting to medium. I had to have lighting on high. Most my settings are on high now and the hair looks good (laptop mod off, 1920x1080 resolution, everything high except sims are very high)
  • Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,910 Member
    Mine does this when my Graphics Card updates. It changes the settings best I can tell. You can go to game options and change your graphics settings to ultra, and restart game, that fixes mine..
  • Options
    ELNELNELNELNELNELNELNELN Posts: 1 New Member
    > @PaxMoony said:
    > Okay. I had this problem too, and I just fixed it for my game.
    >
    > When I first imported the CC into my game, it looked fine, but when I came back to it a few days later, the hair looked just like those pictures you posted. (As a matter of fact, I have both of those hairs.)
    >
    > I tweaked the graphics settings. I cranked up the graphics to ultra, and adjusted my resolution.
    >
    > Try this and see if it works, and if not, I'll tweak around until I found what I did that fixed my problem. I'll let you know how to get your game back to normal.
    >
    > I promise you, it's not the textures that the CC creators are making. It's all about the graphics settings in-game :)

PAXMOONY IS CORRECT AND THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    > @PaxMoony said:
    >
    > When I first imported the CC into my game, it looked fine, but when I came back to it a few days later, the hair looked just like those pictures you posted. (As a matter of fact, I have both of those hairs.)
    >
    > I tweaked the graphics settings. I cranked up the graphics to ultra, and adjusted my resolution.
    >
    > Try this and see if it works, and if not, I'll tweak around until I found what I did that fixed my problem. I'll let you know how to get your game back to normal.
    >
    > I promise you, it's not the textures that the CC creators are making. It's all about the graphics settings in-game :)

PAXMOONY IS CORRECT AND THANK YOU!!!!!

Hello
    I am glad that you were able to fix the issue with how your hair looks in the game. :)
  • Options
    penopeno Posts: 1 New Member
    > @PaxMoony said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Didn't work for me.
    Laptop mode off, graphics on ultra, sims shinny
  • Options
    peno wrote: »
    > @PaxMoony said:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Didn't work for me.
    Laptop mode off, graphics on ultra, sims shinny

Hello @peno.
    Try changing the graphics settings in your game and see if that helps. Is it all hairs that have the issue or just particular ones? Are you playing on a Mac or Windows?
  • Options
    TinglesfulTinglesful Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2016
    I have the same problem since I've updated the game a few weeks ago. I did try out a few graphic settings, but no change.
    How do I get rid of this then? Can't take CAS pics like that :/
    The hairs I am having this problem with, are a little transparent. Could that be it?
    94yhm4uzxqil.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Tinglesful wrote: »
    I have the same problem since I've updated the game a few weeks ago. I did try out a few graphic settings, but no change.
    How do I get rid of this then? Can't take CAS pics like that :/
    The hairs I am having this problem with, are a little transparent. Could that be it?

Hello @Tinglesful.
    Try turning off laptop mode and see if that helps.
    Try also going back to the sites where you downloaded the hair from and see if other simmers are also having issues.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Laptop mode is off :/ It's all hairs with transparency, from different creators, so I guess it has something to do with that?
    But I'll take a look, maybe someone has the same problem.
    94yhm4uzxqil.png
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    The hair that comes with the game looks like plastic to me. Anyways it depends on what cc hair you get
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    It's the same for all of the tranparent hairs (alpha hairs). It's not for all the CC hair I have in game.
    For example:

Hair with transparency
    azsnjshc8mye.png

Hair without transparency
    6batpkchrdoj.png
    94yhm4uzxqil.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought so too, but they're all from different creators. Wouldn't that be a little too much coincidence?
    94yhm4uzxqil.png
  • Options
    I thought so too, but they're all from different creators. Wouldn't that be a little too much coincidence?

I am sorry that you are having this issue with these hairs. Other simmers also have been having issues with alpha hair. It may be how alpha hair is made in general, that is causing the issues in your game.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Oh, well too bad ^^ I could try out the fix my game option? Mabye that's going to fix the problem.
    But thank you so much for your help :)
    94yhm4uzxqil.png
  • Options
    Oh, well too bad ^^ I could try out the fix my game option? Mabye that's going to fix the problem.
    But thank you so much for your help :)

Hello,
    I am sorry that you are having the issue with that type of hair. Has the issue with the hair only occurred since the latest patch, and it was displaying okay before? If it has only occured since the latest patch, perhaps try testing by downloading alpha hair that has been created since the patch and see if the same issue remains.

Perhaps try checking again with different graphics settings and see if that helps.

You could try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. There was another simmer who posted that it helped their similar issue. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" and "ReticulatedSplinesView" files and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated files/ folders with the old files/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder .
  • Options
    Yes, I did it! xD The fix my game option via origin fixed it :3

But yes, I was having this problem since the latest patch. Thank you so much for your help Rosemow!
    94yhm4uzxqil.png
  • Options
    Yes, I did it! xD The fix my game option via origin fixed it :3

But yes, I was having this problem since the latest patch. Thank you so much for your help Rosemow!

I am glad that repairing the game helped fix the issue! :) That is great!
  • Options
    Simple_SimmerSimple_Simmer Posts: 19 New Member
    I changed some settings in game, like I changed the lighting setting to medium and now my game lags so much. I don't know why, but it's so smooth in cas and then I get into the actual gameplay and it's just so choppy, I guess you could say.